Little Monsters is an Australian zombie movie starring Lupita Nyong'o.
2019 just kicked off, but a full closet of terrifying monsters already awaits.
Instead of looking ahead to zombies, haunted houses and serial killers, we'll get horror movies with refreshing, out-of-the-box twists. From the Mexican urban legend La Llorona to chilling children's book Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, many films in this year's lineup have plots that escape the traditional horror movie frameworks (you know, a family moves to a new house and realizes it's haunted). Horror movie fans like me are hungry for more novelty in our scary stories. And for that, my friends, I believe 2019 won't disappoint.
Are you ready to scream?
Jordan Peele's new film, Us. Writer and director Jordan Peele follows horror hit Get Out with the chilling Us, starring Winston Duke, Elisabeth Moss and Lupita Nyong'o.
This is another horror feast written and directed byJordan Peele, the mastermind behindGet Out. StarringYahya Abdul-Mateen,Lupita Nyong'o andElisabeth Moss,the film follows a family of fourlooking to enjoy summer with friends at their beach house. But their vacation turns into a nightmare when another family of four -- that looks exactly like them -- attacks them.
Thetrailerhad my heart pumping, and I'm excited to find out what the story is actually about. This film will show on opening night at the South by Southwest film festival (SXSW) on March 8, and then opens March 15 in the US and UK and March 28 in Australia.
Little Monsters is an Australian zombie movie starring Lupita Nyong'o.
Lupita Nyong'o isn't known as a horror film actress, but she's going to appear in two scary movies this year. In thisAustralian zombie-comedy film, a musician, a kindergarten teacher and a kids' show host have to protect the children from zombies. A lot of horror fans are very familiar with zombie movies, and I'm looking forward to seeing if this one can put a fresh twist on this classic horror genre. This film debuts at the Sundance Film Festival in January.
A mother is concerned her young son maybe a prodigy of horror.
Who doesn't lovea movie with a creepy child?Taylor Schilling, who plays Piper Chapman onOrange is the New Black, stars in this chilling film about a mother raising a young son who starts to show signs of demonic possession. The film's out on Feb. 8 in the US only.
This film is going along with aclassic horror setup -- haunted house. Shelia is a single mom and a part-time paranormal investigator who's asked to investigate a haunting at a widower's farmhouse in East Tennessee. One thing is for sure -- expect scary pop-ups. This movie hits later in January at the Sundance Film Festival.
The Curse of La Llorona will come out on April 19, 2019.
Based on the Mexican folklore of The Weeping Woman, this film is directed byMichael Chavesand produced byJames Wan, who's known for famous horror films like Saw, The Conjuring and The Conjuring 2. If you haven't heard of the urban legend of La Llorona, this is how it goes: The ghost of a mother who lost her children wanders along the river crying and looking for them. It's said that La Llorona kidnaps lost children at night and drowns them, and if you hear her cry, you better run the other way.
Inthis film, set in 1970s Los Angeles, a social worker with two young kids ignores the warning of a troubled mother suspected of child endangerment. She and her children are stalked by La Llorona and desperately try to survive the nightmare. There haven't been many movies based on La Llorona, so for people who grow up hearing her chilling tales, this film is a must-see. It will be in theaters on April 19 in the US and April 18 in Australia.
Zac Efron plays Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile serial killer Ted Bundy.
Infamous serial killer Ted Bundy assaulted and murdered over 30 women and girls in the '70s, according toCrime Museum. He was known to charm women into his car and then abduct them to fulfill his perverted fantasies.
This thriller-biography about him is told from the perspective of his disbelieving longtime girlfriend, Elizabeth Kloepfer. Zac Efron, the High School Musical star who often plays frat boy types, will play Bundy. It might seem strange to imagine Efron as a killer, but Disney Channel star Ross Lynchhad some success portraying serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer when Dahmer was in high school in the 2017 filmMy Friend Dahmer.
I personally love watching a pop star tackling a dark character. The film will debut at the Sundance Film Festival later in January.
Groundhog Day meets Blumhouse horror, again, in Happy Death Day 2U.
This is a sequel toHappy Death Day, in which college student Tree Gelbman dies over and over again on her birthday until she finds her real killer. In the sequel, Gelbman is trapped in the loop again, except this time, she's stuck with all her friends and she has to keep dying to save them. Happy Death Day 2U comes out on Valentine's Day worldwide, in case you're not in the lovey-dovey mood.
The story follows 16-year-old Mandy as she discovers a disturbing video from a night she doesn't remember and tries to find out what happened. The film is written and directed by Pippa Bianco, and it will debut at the Sundance Film Festival in late January.
Marvel's X-Men go horror for the spooky adventures of the teenage New Mutants.
This MarvelX-Men filmis directed by Josh Boone, who previously brought us The Fault in Our Stars and Stuck in Love. It's surprising to see Boone directing a horror sci-fi film like this, but that makes it more exciting. The story goes like this -- five teenage mutants are held at a secret facility against their will. They will discover something terrifying at the facility while trying to escape their own dark pasts.
One cast member who caught my eye is Anya Taylor-Joy, star ofSplit, The Witch and the upcomingGlass. I was impressed with her performance in Split as Casey Cooke, and I'm excited to see if she'll deliver another stellar performance. You can watch this one when it comes out and Aug. 1 in Australia and Aug. 2 in the US and UK.
Did you read Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark when you were a kid? Remember stories like The Thing, Bloody Fingers and The Babysitter? Your childhood nightmares are about to hit the big screen on Aug. 9 in the US only. With Guillermo del Toro on the production team, this film tells the tale of a group of teenagers who are going to solve the mystery surrounding sudden deaths in their small town. Del Toro has brought us Hellboy, The Shape of Water and Pan's Labryinth, and it will be cool to see what kind of twists he and his team put in this classic children's book series.
The smash hit Steven King adaptation sends in the clowns for a sequel, It: Chapter 2.
Pennywise is coming back.This sequel is set 27 years after the brave Losers Club defeated the clown. Its members have grown up and moved away from the small town, but a terrifying phone call is going to bring them back to face Pennywise.
The grown-up version of the club has an impressive lineup, starring James McAvoy as Bill, Jessica Chastain as Beverly, Bill Hader as Richie, Jay Ryan as Ben, James Ransone as Eddie, Isaiah Mustafa as Mike and Andy Bean as Stan. The handsome Bill Skarsgard, who portrayed the horrifying Pennywise in Chapter One, will continue to terrify the town in Chapter Two. Overall, it's a star cast to look forward to. Can they survive this time?
The movie will come out Sept. 5 in Australia and Sept. 6 in the US and UK.
More 2019 Movies: See what other films are coming up this year.
2019 Movie Trailers: See every movie trailer we have for 2019's biggest films.
Follow this link:
2019 horror movies: Are you ready to scream? - CNET
- 16 Horror Movies Coming In 2019 (And 9 Possibilities) - May 19th, 2019
- Amazon.com: Watch Scary Movie | Prime Video - May 14th, 2019
- Scary Movie (5/12) Movie CLIP - Wazzup! (2000) HD - April 29th, 2019
- Scary movies locations that you can visit - INSIDER - April 23rd, 2019
- Why Watching Scary Horror Movies for Halloween May Help ... - April 21st, 2019
- Best Horror Movies of All Time, Ranked: Scariest ... - Thrillist - April 2nd, 2019
- Scary Movie (6/12) Movie CLIP - Wanna Play Pyscho Killer? (2000) HD - April 2nd, 2019
- Everything to know about the 'Scary Stories to Tell in the ... - April 2nd, 2019
- Scary Movie - Official Site - Miramax - April 2nd, 2019
- Halloween 2018: How Scary (& Violent) Is The New Movie? - March 29th, 2019
- Insidious (2010) - IMDb - March 8th, 2019
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Mini-Trailers Reveal Movie ... - February 5th, 2019
- The Best Horror Movies on Netflix Right Now - collider.com - January 14th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Horror Movies of 2018! | Arrow in the Head - December 30th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2018 - filmschoolrejects.com - December 23rd, 2018
- Scary Movie - Everything2.com - December 3rd, 2018
- Scary Movie (1/12) Movie CLIP - Femme Fatality (2000) HD - November 28th, 2018
- Horror movies: What was the first scary movie you saw ... - October 29th, 2018
- The 35 Scariest Movies of All Time | Reader's Digest - October 15th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie 4: Anna Faris, Regina Hall, Craig ... - September 26th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (2003) - Rotten Tomatoes - September 24th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Scary Movie [Blu-ray]: Anna Faris, Jon ... - September 14th, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 - Wikipedia - August 23rd, 2018
- Scary Movie Movie Review - Common Sense Media - August 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 3 (11/11) Movie CLIP - Down the Well (2003) HD ... - August 19th, 2018
- The Best Horror Movies of 2017 (So Far) - Vulture - August 1st, 2018
- Scary Movie 2 (2001) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - July 28th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - June 22nd, 2018
- Scary Movie 4 (2006) - IMDb - June 19th, 2018
- Scary Movie (2000) - IMDb - June 18th, 2018
- Bafana: A horror movie where nobody survives - Sport24 - September 7th, 2017
- Here's Why You Should Be Watching A Scary Movie During Your Next Workout - Elite Daily - September 7th, 2017
- 'It' May Be Scary, but Nothing Beats Your Childhood Fears - The Ringer (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Tennessee teen has starring role in upcoming horror movie 'It' - WBIR-TV - September 6th, 2017
- It: a superb Stephen King adaptation fueled less by scary clowns than by real-life evil - Vox - September 6th, 2017
- 17 Horror Movie Remakes That You Should Actually Watch - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- How Get Out Inspired a New College Course on Racism and Horror - Gizmodo - September 6th, 2017
- Scary 'It' does Stephen King largely by the book: movie review - New York Daily News - September 6th, 2017
- 'IT' Movie Reactions Are Scary Good - Uproxx - UPROXX - September 6th, 2017
- An Expert Explains Why You're Scared of Creepy Clowns and Other Horror Tropes - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Syfy - Horror Movie Magic: The practical effects behind the grossest ... - SYFY WIRE (blog) - September 6th, 2017
- Don't let 'killer crown' craze return just because scary movie IT reaches cinemas this week - Gloucestershire Live - September 6th, 2017
- Kill Me Please is a dazzling teen nightmare, and the first great horror film of fall - The Verge - September 6th, 2017
- 10 Awesome Horror Movie Deleted Scenes You Won't Believe Were Cut - WhatCulture - September 6th, 2017
- How American Horror Story: Cult Handled Election Night 2016 in Its First 7 Minutes - Vulture - September 6th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper: How the director created horror's ultimate serial killer - The Independent - September 5th, 2017
- Scary stuff: Bloomington studio creates official 'It' movie poster - Bloomington Pantagraph - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN Africa - September 3rd, 2017
- HELLRAISER Gets Mondo Soundtrack and Poster Release for 30th Anniversary - Nerdist - September 3rd, 2017
- IT Filmmakers on Adapting Stephen King, Delivering a Scary Pennywise and Earning Their R Rating - IGN - September 2nd, 2017
- IT movie: The TERRIFYING reason the original Pennywise star QUIT new film - Express.co.uk - September 2nd, 2017
- 'It was wonderfully scary': Tim Curry, Rob Reiner and Kathy Bates on the joy of adapting Stephen King - The Guardian - September 1st, 2017
- Stephen King's scary movie reboot provokes tears from 'legit clowns' - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Stephen King's IT Poised to Be One Heck of a Scary Movie - TVOvermind - August 31st, 2017
- PG-13 Horror Movies That Prove You Don't Need an R-Rating to Be Creepy AF - Collider.com - August 31st, 2017
- How the Original It Miniseries Traumatized a Generation of Kids - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- The Hollywood Tastemaker You've Never Heard Of - Vanity Fair - August 31st, 2017
- Screenwriter Gary Dauberman is the new 'It' man - The Ottawa Herald - August 31st, 2017
- The Unpopular Opinion: 'Dead Silence' is One of James Wan's Best Movies - /FILM - August 31st, 2017
- Horror movie season in full swing in Sept. - Graffiti - August 30th, 2017
- Defining IU's breakthrough - South Bend Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- "Scary as sh*t" - the first It movie reactions are in and it's good news for King fans - GamesRadar - August 29th, 2017
- 'It' Clips Show Off Pennywise the Clown, Terrified Children, Etc. - /FILM - August 29th, 2017
- WAMG Giveaway Win the LIFETIME SCARY MOVIE SET From Lionsgate - We Are Movie Geeks - August 28th, 2017
- Ne Obliviscaris' Xenoyr On His Top 10 Epic Horror Films - Dread Central - August 28th, 2017
- In 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre,' Sympathy for the Devil - New York Times - August 28th, 2017
- Annabelle: Creation - This is the REAL story behind the incredible film scaring people across Essex - Essex Live - August 28th, 2017
- Innocence lost: Stephen King's IT and the real-life horror of kids in Hollywood - The Guardian - August 28th, 2017
- Early reactions to It praise Stephen King film: 'Totally terrifying,' 'scary as sh--' - EW.com - August 28th, 2017
- Now they're really asking for It: film fuels scary obsession with Stephen King's 1986 novel - CBC.ca - August 28th, 2017
- Tobe Hooper, the horror filmmaker behind 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,' is dead at 74 - Mashable - August 28th, 2017
- The First Reactions To It Are Scary Good - Gizmodo - August 26th, 2017
- EXCLUSIVE: Lakeith Stanfield Reflects on Breakout Year and 'Crown Heights' - 9NEWS.com - August 25th, 2017
- The Mist - Stephen King's adaptation oozes a familiarity in which old-school horror fans will be happy - review - Telegraph.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Schlock & Awe: PIECES is a Bananas and Baffling Chainsaw Massacre - Nerdist - August 24th, 2017
- Eli Roth Puts Horror Classics 'in a Blender' in Terrifying New Trailer for Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights - PEOPLE.com - August 24th, 2017
- These Horror Movie Bath Bombs Are Terrifyingly Awesome - Simplemost - August 22nd, 2017
- James Van Der Beek's Daughter Has 'Great Taste' in Movies: Find Out Which (Scary!) Film She Loves Makes Him ... - PEOPLE.com - August 22nd, 2017
- The Horror Movie Jump Scare Actually Has a History - TVOvermind - August 19th, 2017
- 15 Best Horror Movies on Hulu Right Now - Den of Geek US - August 19th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero