Michael McDowell. Super-speedway racing 101: Stay close until the end because anything can happen. Anything. So running third behind much more recognizable names like Logano and Keselowski running 1-2, McDowell made his move and went from third to victory lane at the Daytona 500. (And the 500 is the number of miles covered, not the number of hours it felt like the rain-delayed, wreck-delayed race took.)
UCF. Hey, the mid-major power is looking to replace Josh Heupel with Gus Malzahn. I was ready for Gus to go at Auburn, but I think it would be a great hire for the Knights. Will he take it? I don't know. But Malzahn is a pretty down to Earth dude and a good dude, and if he does and considering the $20-plus-million buyout he got from Auburn he could win there and be content there. And that could mean some stability for a Group of Five school that has become all-too-familiar with being a Power Five coach incubator.
Steve Sarkisian. The new Texas coach made a splash this weekend by landing five-star QB commit Maalik Murphy of the 2022 class. Whether Sarkisian wins big at the big-time program remains to be seen, but keeping in-state elite prospects like Murphy who picked the Longhorns over Sarkisian's former employees and former boss, Mr. Nick Saban is the most important first step.
Kamaru Usman. Hey, MMA might as well be Eastern Yugoslavian poetry in terms of my knowledge of it, but the reigning welterweight champ is crushing all comers and is moving his name up the list of all-time greats.
Brooklyn Nets. Gang, I know the NBA is not a huge talking point around these parts, but I have found myself watching way more NBA than college hoops this year. Who knew right? That said, the Nets have three of the top 15-or-so dudes in the league and if they find a way to coexist and they sure looked the part Saturday night in primetime Durant, Irving, and Harden are going to be hard to handle and harder to root for come playoff time.
Daniel Berger. Making eagle on the 72nd hole to win a tournament at Pebble Beach is stuff everyone who has ever put a peg in the ground has dreamed about. Berger lived the dream Sunday.
The Lakers. No, it has nothing to do with Sunday's loss to the Nuggets. (Side question: When was the last time 40 percent of the All-NBA first team were white dudes? Because Luka Doni and Nikola Jokic are the truth. Side answer to the side question: Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki were first team All-NBA in 2006-07. That was the last of three straight seasons in which Nash and Dirk were first-team picks. Before those former MVPs, the previous time was 1986-87 when Larry Bird and Kevin McHale were first-teasers. Those are the only four times since 1980. This year should be the fifth.) TheLakers will be holdingtheir collective breath today as Anthony Davis, who has been in and out of the lineup, was rushed back into the lineup and hurt his leg. The fears are an Achilles' and Davis will have an MRI today. Without Davis, the Lakers have zero shot to get out of the inexplicably deep Western Conference, no matter how well LeBron is playing.
The GOP. The state of affairs in the Republican Party are, in a word, messy. Because moving beyond everything Trump his presidency, his second impeachment trial (part two failed too), his Twitter and all of it there becomes a clear path to failure linked to The Donald. It's hard to see a Trumpian candidate winning a national race. And the way a lot of national GOP names you know appear to believe that you can't win the GOP nomination without kowtowing to the MAGA mob. That's a lose-lose formula friends.
Urban Meyer. Hey, dude can coach his whistle off and has won and won big at every stop, but how did no one in the Jaguars building not raise a hand and ask, "Uh, you really think hiring the guy that was too racist for Iowa is a good idea to lead young Black men?" Side question: What's the sentence for using the N-bomb? I think Morgan Wallen's case study will be very interesting, because there are a lot of folks in Nashville throwing a lot of bombs Morgan's way. Morgan released a heartfelt apology over the weekend see more here so it weill be interesting to see how long his exile lasts. Side question on the side question: Wallen was dropped by his label and country music now treats his name and his music like Voldemort. This was to be expected in a lot of ways. But he has also been removed from awards shows in categories in which he was nominated. Is that last one fair? Discuss.
Tennessee hoops. Rick Barnes' Vols are too deep and too talented to be this inconsistent. And moreover, the conversations from outside and inside the program that this team is mentally soft are incredibly troubling as we speed toward March.
I wrote last week how I believe the NCAA tournament will be the least watched since Bird-Magic made the Madness cool.
Even though I got some blow-back on social media for this assertion over the weekend from some college hoops junkies who contend the online betting options will fill the void left by the lack of office pools. I contend that more betting options will only appeal to those familiar with them, and the millions who fill out brackets are not headed to DraftKings or FanDuel rather than filling out a sheet, which was more about office community than gambling anyway.
Moreover, I stand by that considering the factors of the diminished bracket and the fact that Loyola and Gonzaga are a heckuva lot better than Duke and Kentucky heading into the tournament. Especially looking back six weeks ago and realizing that college football got arguably its two biggest brands this side of Notre Dame in a title game with first-round QBs and all these betting options and the TV numbers were down 30 percent.
Yes, UK beat Auburn by cutting the head off of the Tigers offense and maximizing Sharife Cooper's shortcoming of being short. But the Wildcats are 6-13 and will need to win the SEC tournament to dance.
Which leads us to a couple of talking points:
First, did you see that the NCAA has allowed conferences to make a decision if the regular-season or tournament winner gets the automatic bid. Conferences have until Feb. 26 to decide.
You have to believe all the major conferences leagues in which some of the power players are currently on the outside looking in will go with the traditional conference champ as the automatic qualifier. And the NCAA needs UK and Duke and maybe even Michigan State get hot and make a run.
Next, look at the names atop thetop 16 released overthe weekend. There are some really good teams, but how many really head-turning programs are among those pegged as top-four seeds over the weekend?
This and that
Count me surprised this was not a bigger story, and maybe it still will become a talking point. Bluefield College, an NAIA school, forfeited a game last week after its players refused to adhere to the university president's demand that they quit kneeling for the national anthem. The president suspended multiple players for dismissing his directive to stand for the pregame anthem.Here's more, and you get the feeling that there will be more chatter about this story around the corner.
You know the rules.Here's Paschall on thelatest news from a very crowded Tennessee platform in the transfer portal as kicker Brent Cimaglia is headed to Georgia Tech.
Side question: Is there any topic especially now that the impeachment trial has been closed being beaten to death like the QB carousel right now on national media?
Weekend winners and losers. Go.
Multiple choice Monday starts here: What sporting event got your most attention in this first weekend after the NFL ended?
As for today, Feb. 15, let's review.
Chris Farley would have been 57 today. Dude has been dead for 23-plus years.YouTube was launched on this day in 2005.
Also, Sunday was 30th anniversary of the Silence of the Lambs. So there's that. We've done the Rushmore of scary movies, and I know a lot of folks who view SotL as that. I view it more as scary/thriller, if that makes sense.Rushmore of suspense/thrillers, and yes, this is kind of an uncertain approach so fire away some nominees. (Example: I think Jaws applies. Psycho feels more like a horror movie.)
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch - Best Horror Movies 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 21st, 2021
- Netflixs Fear Street Trilogy Brings Three R-Rated Horror Movies This Summer Watch The Trailer - Empire - May 21st, 2021
- Spiral and the Saw movies ask: How does tech challenge horror? - Polygon - May 21st, 2021
- Friends cast ages: How old are the cast of Friends now? - Heart - May 21st, 2021
- The Ads On Free Streaming Sites Are Absolutely Awful - ScreenCrush - May 21st, 2021
- Ella Purnell On Netflix's Zombie Heist Action Movie 'Army Of The Dead' - British Vogue - May 21st, 2021
- Whats Your Number? didnt rank in the summer of Bridesmaids - The A.V. Club - May 21st, 2021
- Everything Leaving Hulu in June 2021 - ComicBook.com - May 21st, 2021
- Woman discovers scary secret basement while renovating home: Someone has 100 percent been down here - Yahoo Sports - May 21st, 2021
- Here's everything coming to Hulu in June 2021, and what's leaving - MarketWatch - May 21st, 2021
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch Explica .co - Explica - May 21st, 2021
- Five of the most hilarious shootout scenes in movie history - We Are The Mighty - May 21st, 2021
- H.S. BASEBALL: Andrew Middleton's blazing start has Canton riding high at 5-0 - The Patriot Ledger - May 21st, 2021
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Janelle Mone on new horror film Antebellum: "There is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people" - RadioTimes - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- 'Antebellum' stars discuss the timely 'horror of the human experience' (exclusive) - Yahoo Movies UK - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Vintage Movie Monsters That Could Be Terrifying Today - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Twisted Horror Films That You Have To Watch Twice To Understand - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Curious Cape Cod: Horror in Provincetown? Wait until you've seen the scary side of P-town. - Cape Cod Times - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting backlash for his interview with Lindsay Lohan that pushed the 'stigma of addiction and rehab' - Yahoo News - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: Oscar-nominated horror movies and thrillers | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- A terrifying horror film from TIFF comes out this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero