In a visually stunning wide shot during the opening moments of the new psychological horror film Saint Maud, the small titular figure starts her daunting journey up hundreds of wooden stairs, up the beach cliffs, and towards an eerily obscured house on the hill. Were reminded of how every ghost and haunted house story begins, and we fear for Maud but it quickly becomes unclear who we should really be afraid for.
Am I indecent?
No, youre lost, Maud, the newly God-fearing nurse tells Amanda, the dying patient shes now caring for, and whose soul Maud is trying to save.
In an inexplicably impressive directorial debut that she also wrote, Rose Glass has made an original, terrifying, and relentless horror for A24 the studio behind Hereditary, The Witch, and Green Room.
Glass spoke with Daily Hive to talk about the horror hit that premiered at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival to rapturous critical acclaim.
Saint Maud/Behind the Scenes
Halfway through writing Saint Maud I think about a year into it I threw away the whole script and started from scratch, said Glass.
In this realized version, Maud, a palliative nurse, cares for the former dance star, Amanda, in mostly physical ways as she nears closer to death stretching on the floor, bathing, cleaning, cooking but when the help becomes spiritual in nature, we are left guessing if Amanda is genuinely interested in being saved, or is actually playing with Mauds faith out of boredom, or perhaps something more sinister.
It was still essentially the same project. Until I threw it away and started again, I think the whole film had always taken place in Amandas house and was a lot more contained, Maud was like Im going to save her soul by any means, and Maud was kind of like a mindless villain. Maybe I was trying to be a bit too Misery-esque, as much as I love that film, says Glass.
Maud is anything but a mindless villain. The compelling pull of the two characters is trying to determine who the villain even is. Amandas opinions about Mauds beliefs are in question, but mystery also lies in the way Maud peers in on Amandas life.
Does Maud watch through the cracks of barely open doors with curiosity, or is it judgement? Is she envious of Amandas freedom of faith, or disdainful towards her sinning ways? Maybe its both and shes struggling with her own desires, as the film subtly suggests.
Glass conjures an unnerving inability to know what is real and what is not in the minds of these characters and in the way the story is told.
Is Maud really having physical reactions to the feeling of God, or is this something medical? Or perhaps its all an act to prove to herself, and to the world, that she truly is holy and not unclean. Does Maud really hear the voice of God? Or perhaps its not the voice of God at all but something else.
Saint Maud is an atmospheric terror that intrigues, but never confuses. Are these things really happening? Are they dreams? Nightmares? Rationalizations?
Playing the titular Maud in her breakout role is Morfyyd Clark, whose astonishing performance demands an icy demeanour that can slip in and out of hateful rage and body-contorting pleasure in an instant.
Shes just got this haunting face, and is sort of sickeningly watchable, and amazing on screen, said Glass. She just seemed so initially unassuming. Shes so versatile. Shes been in several films that came out in festivals the same year and a lot of people didnt recognize her from this role as well, and her character is a bit of a shapeshifter.
Morfyyd, throughout the film, has to take the audience to some pretty strange places and does some really naughty, reprehensible stuff. For me, the challenge was to see if we could get the audience to completely be empathizing with her and understand why shes doing everything as she does it and put themselves in her shoes. She had to encompass all that, added Glass.
Glass initially had her own way of describing and comparing Maud to another iconic film character whose motives are unclear behind a lonely, judging, possibly dangerous demeanour. Try imagining if Travis Bickle was a young catholic woman living in a seaside town, the writer/director told us.
Martin Scorseses 1976 anti-hero character study Taxi Driver may have been a way for Glass to originally present her idea of Maud, but it was the themes of faith and God in many of Ingmar Bergmans films that had the biggest influence when writing the story.
Through the Glass Darkly, Persona, and Silence a lot of these quite contained, strange, pressure cookery, psychological dramas, said Glass. The psychological twisted films of Bergman, exploring insanity and duality, are evident in Saint Maud but its still very much a horror film, and an extremely scary one. Glass brought her influences from that genre as well.
Rosemarys Baby has always been one of my favourite horror movies, and I love Repulsion, so some of the tonal stuff Im sure was floating around. The Devils I found helpful to remind me of religious ecstasy, and just for that amazing moustache, said Glass.
Saint Maud is a delightfully frightening film, with the scariest moments coming from the quietest ones. Because we are unsure of Mauds intentions, and who speaks to her, we never know what will come next, and when. Maud clearly believes she isnt perfect in the eyes of God, sticking tacks in her shoes and praying on pointed pads, but how far she is willing to go to find forgiveness seems to inflict more injury on herself and others.
Following its premiere at TIFF, Saint Mauds release date was delayed by the global pandemic. The film was planned for a 2020 spring release, but was left floating in limbo until now. For Glass, making this movie has been a dream since childhood.
Because it was my first film, and I basically wanted to make a film since I was a child, and its all Ive ever really thought about doing, or wanted to do the pressure you build up in your own head that you feel rest on this thing working or not are very high, said Glass.
The wait is now over. Your saviour is coming. Saint Maud will be available to stream Friday, February 12.
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch - Best Horror Movies 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 21st, 2021
- Netflixs Fear Street Trilogy Brings Three R-Rated Horror Movies This Summer Watch The Trailer - Empire - May 21st, 2021
- Spiral and the Saw movies ask: How does tech challenge horror? - Polygon - May 21st, 2021
- Friends cast ages: How old are the cast of Friends now? - Heart - May 21st, 2021
- The Ads On Free Streaming Sites Are Absolutely Awful - ScreenCrush - May 21st, 2021
- Ella Purnell On Netflix's Zombie Heist Action Movie 'Army Of The Dead' - British Vogue - May 21st, 2021
- Whats Your Number? didnt rank in the summer of Bridesmaids - The A.V. Club - May 21st, 2021
- Everything Leaving Hulu in June 2021 - ComicBook.com - May 21st, 2021
- Woman discovers scary secret basement while renovating home: Someone has 100 percent been down here - Yahoo Sports - May 21st, 2021
- Here's everything coming to Hulu in June 2021, and what's leaving - MarketWatch - May 21st, 2021
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch Explica .co - Explica - May 21st, 2021
- Five of the most hilarious shootout scenes in movie history - We Are The Mighty - May 21st, 2021
- H.S. BASEBALL: Andrew Middleton's blazing start has Canton riding high at 5-0 - The Patriot Ledger - May 21st, 2021
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Janelle Mone on new horror film Antebellum: "There is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people" - RadioTimes - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- 'Antebellum' stars discuss the timely 'horror of the human experience' (exclusive) - Yahoo Movies UK - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Vintage Movie Monsters That Could Be Terrifying Today - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Twisted Horror Films That You Have To Watch Twice To Understand - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Curious Cape Cod: Horror in Provincetown? Wait until you've seen the scary side of P-town. - Cape Cod Times - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 5-at-10: Weekend winners and losers, NCAA tournament talking points, Happy birthday Silence of the Lambs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting backlash for his interview with Lindsay Lohan that pushed the 'stigma of addiction and rehab' - Yahoo News - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: Oscar-nominated horror movies and thrillers | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero