Watch: Trailer for Antebellum, starring Janelle Monae
Horror has always been a genre steeped in social commentary. In the last five years or so, the world of scary movies has repeatedly been used as a vessel to tell stories about the struggles and problems of the Black experience in modern America most notably via Jordan Peele's thrilling one-two punch of Get Out and Us.
The latest example of this brand of tale is the time-twisting horror Antebellum, in which megastar Janelle Monae stars in a dual role as brutalised slave Eden and modern day success story Dr Veronica Henley.
Initially, it's not clear what links these two women, with writer-director duo Gerard Bush and Christopher Renz spinning a complex mystery that illuminates how the struggle of Black people has continued for centuries.
Read more: Blumhouse boss says Get Out sequel is unlikely
"In this day and age, art is an expression of what society is doing," star Tongayi Chirisa tells Yahoo Entertainment UK.
Chirisa plays slave Eli, who assists Eden as she plans an escape from the plantation on which they are both treated horrifically by their white masters. "That's the new horror. The horror of the human experience the things that we do to each other," says the 39-year-old actor.
Tongayi Chirisa and Janelle Monae in 'Antebellum'. (Credit: Lionsgate/Sky Cinema)
He adds: "If society is blatantly murdering and killing and raping and trafficking people, that's the horror that we have to face and figure out how to deal with it. So I think with the evolution of film and with the horror genre, we're gonna see more and more of these real, genuine experiences being seen on the big screen."
Chirisa says Bush and Renz have been able to "mesh and reinvent the wheel" with the horror movie in order to reflect the racial problems which still permeate American society. Speaking to Yahoo at the end of a summer defined by Black Lives Matter protests spawned by the death of George Floyd, he says it doesn't take much to push real-life experiences into the realm of horror cinema.
Read more: John Boyega hailed as hero after BLM speech
"Instead of using the gimmicks of the surprise scare or the make-up, they're just putting real-life people in situations," says Chirisa. "I think the world is scary enough when you just think about the things some of us have to experience. That, in and of itself, is horrific for so many people. Just to see how the normal, average individual has to navigate certain circumstances is horrifying enough.
Janelle Monae as Eden in 'Antebellum'. (Credit: Lionsgate/Sky Cinema)
"This is a narrative that expresses the feelings of the African-American population and how they want to see justice and equality given and afforded to them, just like any other person in America. I'm so excited about this because it's a statement. It's us trying to let people know that change needs to happen and we need it now."
Monae and Chirisa's characters are tormented and tortured on the plantation by the likes of Jack Huston's brutal Confederate soldier Jasper and his wife, Elizabeth (Jena Malone). Malone says the "responsibility outweighs the risk" when it comes to taking on such an unpleasant, evil character but acknowledges that it took a toll on her and was difficult to switch off from at the end of the day.
Antebellum will arrive on Now and Sky Cinema on April 2 (Sky)
"We have to examine the past. I have to do it for my son and for the people who will be living after me," she adds. "We are such a product of a white-washed and white-canvassed historical understanding of the great oppression and trauma in America. As a white, cisgender woman of privilege, it's 100% my job to not only rewrite that history but to inspire people that we need to keep on learning more."
Read more: Sky Cinema announces 2021 movie slate
Huston agrees, noting that "just because you're not a racist, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist", and that this misconception stops people from engaging with the issue. The 38-year-old Brit says he was "honoured" to take on the role, despite its difficulties.
He adds: "Because people are not necessarily affected by racism or they don't see it overtly, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be speaking up and supporting everybody around us. This movie is hopefully going to shine a light on that. It's saying that systemic racism is very much alive and well and rearing its very ugly head and we need to do everything we can to stop it."
Jack Huston and Jena Malone in 'Antebellum'. (Credit: Lionsgate/Sky Cinema)
Monae has become a powerhouse of popular culture in recent years and Antebellum marks her first foray into being a cinematic leading lady. For Chirisa, working alongside a bona fide A-lister was an experience that left him "geeking out". He says: "Just to see Janelle do what she does and how she processes her work and how she approaches it, it was really inspiring. I'm so excited for people to see her in this because it's unlike anything else she has ever done.
"Everything she does is very thought out. Nothing is just done because it's a pay-cheque. Everything is about pushing the narrative and changing the landscape so people get to see and understand the Black experience."
Read more: Janelle Monae attracts praise for Oscars performance
The film was a premium video-on-demand release in the USA last year and is now arriving in the UK for subscribers to Sky Cinema and NOW. Malone, speaking prior to the Stateside release, says she is excited for the movie to be at the forefront of new release strategies, rather than worrying about the loss of a cinema run.
"I just think that this moment is too revolutionary to really be disappointed at getting to be in a new space together," the star says. "Premium video-on-demand is so new and we don't know what it's going to be, but the further you can reach people the better the film has a chance to make its impact. Right now, this is the most impactful and important way to do that."
Antebellum is available to stream via Sky Cinema and NOW from 2 April.
Watch: Janelle Monae talks about honouring Black women
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch - Best Horror Movies 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 21st, 2021
- Netflixs Fear Street Trilogy Brings Three R-Rated Horror Movies This Summer Watch The Trailer - Empire - May 21st, 2021
- Spiral and the Saw movies ask: How does tech challenge horror? - Polygon - May 21st, 2021
- Friends cast ages: How old are the cast of Friends now? - Heart - May 21st, 2021
- The Ads On Free Streaming Sites Are Absolutely Awful - ScreenCrush - May 21st, 2021
- Ella Purnell On Netflix's Zombie Heist Action Movie 'Army Of The Dead' - British Vogue - May 21st, 2021
- Whats Your Number? didnt rank in the summer of Bridesmaids - The A.V. Club - May 21st, 2021
- Everything Leaving Hulu in June 2021 - ComicBook.com - May 21st, 2021
- Woman discovers scary secret basement while renovating home: Someone has 100 percent been down here - Yahoo Sports - May 21st, 2021
- Here's everything coming to Hulu in June 2021, and what's leaving - MarketWatch - May 21st, 2021
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch Explica .co - Explica - May 21st, 2021
- Five of the most hilarious shootout scenes in movie history - We Are The Mighty - May 21st, 2021
- H.S. BASEBALL: Andrew Middleton's blazing start has Canton riding high at 5-0 - The Patriot Ledger - May 21st, 2021
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Janelle Mone on new horror film Antebellum: "There is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people" - RadioTimes - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Vintage Movie Monsters That Could Be Terrifying Today - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Twisted Horror Films That You Have To Watch Twice To Understand - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Curious Cape Cod: Horror in Provincetown? Wait until you've seen the scary side of P-town. - Cape Cod Times - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 5-at-10: Weekend winners and losers, NCAA tournament talking points, Happy birthday Silence of the Lambs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting backlash for his interview with Lindsay Lohan that pushed the 'stigma of addiction and rehab' - Yahoo News - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: Oscar-nominated horror movies and thrillers | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- A terrifying horror film from TIFF comes out this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero