David Letterman is catching backlash for his 2013 interview with Lindsay Lohan. Getty Images
David Letterman was criticized for a 2013 interview with Lindsay Lohan on social media.
Letterman prodded Lohan with "insensitive" questions about her "addiction problems" and rehab.
Fans are praising Lohan for her response to the line of questioning.
Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
David Letterman has come under fire for asking "insensitive" questions about rehab and addiction during a past interview with Lindsay Lohan.
Rumblings of the controversy began on Saturday when Twitter user Trey Taylor shared an edited clip from the 2013 interview on "The Late Show."
Lohan, then 26-years-old, appeared on the show to promote "Scary Movie 5," but much of the exchange focused on her upcoming admittance into rehab and her addiction struggles.
Many people online noted that Letterman's questions promoted a stigma around addiction and recovery.
"Aren't you supposed to be in rehab?" Letterman suddenly asked about four minutes into the interview. He then begins to list several questions that humored the in-studio audience.
"What are they rehab-ing? What is on their list? What are they going to work on when you walk through the door," said Letterman.
Lohan replied that "we didn't discuss this in pre-interview" before telling Letterman: "I'm the happiest when I'm working. This is an opportunity for me to focus on what I love in life. I don't think it's a bad thing."
Letterman continued to ask Lohan if she had "addiction problems," prompting a noticeable pause from Lohan.
"Is it alcohol? Do you drink too much?" he asked. When Letterman tried to bring up rehab again, Lohan attempted to pivot back to "Scary Movie 5."
"We're here for a movie. Let's stay on the positive," Lohan, 34, said.
Letterman then presented a list of things that Lohan has "endured" during her career, characterized in later years as tumultuous, and jokes he planned to make about them.
"Are you okay now? It feels like people should be helping you. Do you have money saved? Therapy? Ask yourself, why always trouble?" said Lohan, reading one of the jokes from Letterman's list.
Lohan then noted that much of her missteps came from immaturity and struggling with her home life, but she's focused on personal growth.
Letterman offered words of encouragement towards Lohan but soon attempted to segue back to discussing her recovery.
Lohan briefly scolded Letterman, saying, "You can't make a joke of it. That's so mean. No. No, we're not doing that. This is my show now."
After the old clip and interview resurfaced, the words "Lohan" and "Letterman" were trending on Twitter as people shared their reactions.
"David Letterman was so DISGUSTING to Lindsay Lohan here! And everyone laughing at her for going to rehab," wrote actor Daniel Newman of "The Walking Dead."
"Nuts to see an adult make fun of a drug addict trying to get help. So happy Culture Loves #AA now & rehab. Everything's changed. It was so bad then,' Newman added.
Online influencer Alisha Marie wrote that she's "in therapy every week and see a psychiatrist for medication and the fact that many people see mental health as a joke is disgusting. it's not just david Letterman it's the whole team that even approved those questions ...f--- that."
One person called the interview "vile on so many levels."
"The misogyny. The blindsiding. The stigma of addiction & rehab. The hypocrisy of wanting people to recover, but then judging how they choose do so. I hope Lindsay Lohan knows how loved she is. The world has treated her and many others so unfairly," they added.
Femi Oluwole, the co-founder of the pro-European Union advocacy group Our Future Our Choice, chimed in as well.
"Geeeez. I never knew this happened," he wrote. "How the hell does David @Letterman still have a job!? Never expected to feel angrily defensive of Lindsay Lohan but here we are!"
Influencer Daniel Preda, who split with longtime boyfriend Joey Graceffa last summer, claimed he was in the room during the interview.
Preda wrote: "I was in the room during this interview as it taped and I could have cut the misogyny blanketed as 'humor', unprofessionalism and addict stigma in the room with a knife. So many women, including Lindsay, deserve a massive apology."
Others took time to applaud Lohan for her level-headed responses.
"For as bad as Letterman is here, Lohan just nails every response with unbelievable poise," wrote Dave Jorgenson, a video producer for Washington Post.
Sex and culture critic Ella Dawson added, "I have.... so much respect for how Lindsay Lohan handled Letterman's blatant attempt to blind-side and humiliate her."
The sudden reckoning among journalists, the media, and other celebrities was sparked by "The New York Times Presents Framing Britney Spears," a documentary that explored the #FreeBritney movement and her ongoing conservatorship under her father, Jamie Spears. It also touched on the misogynistic and negative treatment Britney received from the media during her career.
Much of the fallout has been aimed at journalists like Diane Sawyer, who has been criticized for directing sexist comments towards Britney about her breakup with former *NYSNC frontman, Justin Timberlake.
She also appeared to defend remarks made by Kendel Ehrlich, the then-governor of Maryland's wife, who admitted she would "shoot Britney Spears" if given the opportunity.
Justin Timberlake was the subject of intense scrutiny after fans suggested he pushed negative narratives about Britney to further his solo career.
In one instance, Timberlake featured a Spears look-alike in his 2002 music video "Cry Me a River," and the lyrics contained several infidelity suggestions.
Most recently, Britney's younger sister spoke out in support of Britney and issued a warning to the media.
"Dear media," Jamie Lynn wrote on her Instagram Stories. "Try not to repeat the mistakes of your past. Look where that got us. Do better."
Read the original article on Insider
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch - Best Horror Movies 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 21st, 2021
- Netflixs Fear Street Trilogy Brings Three R-Rated Horror Movies This Summer Watch The Trailer - Empire - May 21st, 2021
- Spiral and the Saw movies ask: How does tech challenge horror? - Polygon - May 21st, 2021
- Friends cast ages: How old are the cast of Friends now? - Heart - May 21st, 2021
- The Ads On Free Streaming Sites Are Absolutely Awful - ScreenCrush - May 21st, 2021
- Ella Purnell On Netflix's Zombie Heist Action Movie 'Army Of The Dead' - British Vogue - May 21st, 2021
- Whats Your Number? didnt rank in the summer of Bridesmaids - The A.V. Club - May 21st, 2021
- Everything Leaving Hulu in June 2021 - ComicBook.com - May 21st, 2021
- Woman discovers scary secret basement while renovating home: Someone has 100 percent been down here - Yahoo Sports - May 21st, 2021
- Here's everything coming to Hulu in June 2021, and what's leaving - MarketWatch - May 21st, 2021
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch Explica .co - Explica - May 21st, 2021
- Five of the most hilarious shootout scenes in movie history - We Are The Mighty - May 21st, 2021
- H.S. BASEBALL: Andrew Middleton's blazing start has Canton riding high at 5-0 - The Patriot Ledger - May 21st, 2021
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Janelle Mone on new horror film Antebellum: "There is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people" - RadioTimes - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- 'Antebellum' stars discuss the timely 'horror of the human experience' (exclusive) - Yahoo Movies UK - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Vintage Movie Monsters That Could Be Terrifying Today - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Twisted Horror Films That You Have To Watch Twice To Understand - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Curious Cape Cod: Horror in Provincetown? Wait until you've seen the scary side of P-town. - Cape Cod Times - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 5-at-10: Weekend winners and losers, NCAA tournament talking points, Happy birthday Silence of the Lambs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: Oscar-nominated horror movies and thrillers | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- A terrifying horror film from TIFF comes out this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero