Hidden Figures star Janelle Mone takes the lead in a new horror film, Antebellum, which arrives in the UK on Sky Cinema and NOW this week.
The film explores the issues of both Chattel slavery and 21st century racism through a horror movie lens, and according to its star the genre is a very appropriate fit for the subject matter.
Speaking to RadioTimes.com and other press, Mone said, I think in terms of telling stories centred around Black voices, when you think about horror, there is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people.
The fact that we were stolen and forced to live in America. The fact that they stole doctors, they stole lawyers, they stole writers, they stole artists.
Its horrific, in every sense of the word, horror. That is one of the most horrific acts that has happened in history and its still happening today in many different ways in many different forms.
Due to the nature of the subject matter, the film can be an incredibly tough and gruelling watch with numerous scenes of extreme violence and Mone says that while there were moments where she questioned the extent of violence shown on screen, ultimately it would be impossible to tell the story without including these scenes.
I think for me theres no way to depict the horror of slavery without showing the violence that is what happened, those are true events, she said. And there were worse that happened that we didnt know about.
The star admitted though that she can completely understand how the scenes might be a bit too much for some viewers, adding, I think I will always say if you were triggered by this, and especially if youre a Black woman, then take the time that you need and step away.
In the film, Mones character attempts to engineer an escape from the plantation where she and her fellow slaves have been enslaved, but speaking about the themes included in the film she discussed how the burden of addressing systemic racism in our society should not fall to Black women.
I think this whole concept of Black women will be our saviours, Black women will save the day, Black women are going to save the country, Black women are superheroes is wrong, she explained.
Black women should not have to carry the burden of dismantling systemic racism and white supremacy on their backs.
What I do in this film, I dont want Black women to have to experience that at any point in time or life, and my hope is that Black women will get peace.
I wanted peace in those moments of the shots that I was doing that were intense. I was like, why do I have to go through this? Why did my ancestors have to go through this? We shouldnt have to do it in the future and we should not have to do it now.
Antebellum is released on Sky Cinema and NOW TV on Friday 2nd April visit our Movies hub for all the latest news.
Looking for something to watch? Check out our TV Guide.
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- 'Antebellum' stars discuss the timely 'horror of the human experience' (exclusive) - Yahoo Movies UK - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Vintage Movie Monsters That Could Be Terrifying Today - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Twisted Horror Films That You Have To Watch Twice To Understand - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Curious Cape Cod: Horror in Provincetown? Wait until you've seen the scary side of P-town. - Cape Cod Times - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 5-at-10: Weekend winners and losers, NCAA tournament talking points, Happy birthday Silence of the Lambs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting backlash for his interview with Lindsay Lohan that pushed the 'stigma of addiction and rehab' - Yahoo News - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: Oscar-nominated horror movies and thrillers | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- A terrifying horror film from TIFF comes out this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
- "The Snoopy Show": The Peanuts Gang Has an All-New Halloween Adventure on Apple TV+! - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
- HBO's The Outsider is bingeable but far from flawless - University Press - February 9th, 2021
- Here's How You Can Watch Every Movie In The Scream Series - Looper - February 9th, 2021
- 'She would have done amazing things': Ravenna mother remembers daughter Evey - Record-Courier - February 9th, 2021
- Actress Priyanka Chopra Jonas says filming during the pandemic is 'really daunting' - CNBC - February 9th, 2021
- Streaking: Ah, the good ol' days | Tim Rowland | heraldmailmedia.com - Herald-Mail Media - February 9th, 2021
- The Borderlands Movie Cast Adds Another Huge Name With Jamie Lee Curtis As Tannis - GameSpot - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision & Poltergeist Crossover Art Theorizes Wanda is a Villain - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- Malcolm & Marie and the Rise of Quarantine Filmmaking in COVID - Den of Geek - February 9th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Full Cast List: Meet Morfydd Clark, Jennifer Ehle, Turlough Convery and other stars of A24 horror - MEAWW - February 9th, 2021
- Barbara Crampton Talks Joining Cults and Making the Ultimate Sacrifice [Exclusive] - MovieWeb - February 6th, 2021
- 20 of the best scary movies you can watch on Netflix right now - JOE.ie - February 6th, 2021
- The Snoopy Show Review: Bright, Colorful, and So Pure of Heart - IndieWire - February 6th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero