Zombies are a staple of the horror genre. They are one of the hallmark movie monsters, standing side by side with vampires, witches, and werewolves. Over the years, weve seen numerous zombie movies that have terrified audiences with thoughts of the undead rising up to eat the brains of the living. Its a scary concept, but alternatively, some directors have gone different routes with the famous undead theme, turning them into comedic horror movies or outright spoofing the genre.
Here are some of the most popular zombie movies currently streaming that you absolutely must watch. (We apologize ahead of time for the overuse of the word dead in the title we didnt name these movies!)
Quite possibly the greatest zombie ever, and the film that critics would later describe as the first modern zombie movie, Night of the Living Dead is a groundbreaking movie on so many levels. Filmmaker George A. Romero, who would become synonymous with the genre, created many of the key characteristics now associated with zombies (the slow walk, rotting appearance, taste for human flesh, and the fact that one bite could cause a zombie to infect other people).
A surprisingly simple but effective horror movie, the plot of the film revolves around a group of people trapped in a rural farmhouse who survive wave after wave of zombies. Romeros debut film, it would go on not only to receive several sequels but created a cultural phenomenon that subsequently inspired generations of filmmakers. Without Night of the Living Dead, its likely the zombie movie we know today would not exist, and for that, its definitely worth a watch.
Currently streaming on: Amazon Prime Video, Peacock, HBO Max, and Paramount+
The film that is widely credited with reigniting interest in the zombie movie, which had stagnated a bit in the 1990s, 2002s 28 Days Later breathed a fresh air of life into the zombie genre. Taking place less than a month after a highly contagious virus has triggered a massive zombie uprising in Great Britain, a group of survivors come to terms with losing the life they were familiar with, all the while combating the zombie hordes wreaking havoc in London.
Praised for its action, screenplay, direction, and performances (the film boasts an impressive cast featuring Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston, and Brendan Gleeson), 28 Days Later is one of the scariest zombie movies out there, and easily one of the best.
Currently streaming on: HBO Max
We know we may be cheating by putting a sequel on this list, but the follow-up to the equally fantastic 28 Days Later is just too good to ignore. Six months after the zombie outbreak that was depicted in 28 Days Later, the UN launches an attempt to secure a safe zone in London, only to find the danger from zombies there is far worse than they could ever have anticipated.
While its debatable whether 28 Weeks Later surpasses the original, you cant deny how great a sequel it truly is which, given how many incredibly bad horror movie sequels there are out there, is definitely an achievement in and of itself.
Currently streaming on: HBO Max
Dont let the title fool you this movie has nothing to do with George A. Romeros earlier Night of the Living Dead series. A comedy horror film that almost parodies Romeros zombie movies, The Return of the Living Dead tells the story of two clumsy warehouse employees who accidentally release a toxin into the air that turns whoever inhales it into zombies.
Known today for its extensive punk rock soundtrack and for being the first movie to introduce zombies capable of speech and the ability to run, The Return of the Living Dead eventually became a cult classic, paving the way for the four sequels that followed.
Currently streaming on: HBO Max
One of the most recent big-budget zombie movies to come out of Hollywood, Zack Snyders Army of the Dead merged the heist movie with the zombie genre to create a fun, terrifying movie with nonstop action throughout. After a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, a team of mercenaries (led by Dave Bautista) attempt to break into the city and recover $200 million hidden beneath a casino infested with the undead.
Army of the Dead introduced the outside-the-box concept of hyper-intelligent zombies known as Alphas, capable of thought and even emotion, rather than resorting to the brainless, shambling zombies audiences are familiar with. An interesting cross between the heist and zombie movie, Army of the Dead has two prequels planned for a future release later this year, as well as a potential sequel currently in the works.
Currently streaming on: Netflix
The horror-comedy that helped make both its director, Edgar Wright, and its star, Simon Pegg, breakout successes, Shaun of the Dead was designed as an homage of sorts to George A. Romeros earlier zombie films (as you mightve guessed from the title alone). Filled with tons of easter eggs to famous zombie movies that Wright and Pegg were inspired by, Shaun of the Dead follows a pair of young slackers (Pegg and Nick Frost) who try to survive a sudden zombie outbreak in suburban London.
The first in Wright and Peggs Cornetto trilogy that includes the equally entertaining movies Hot Fuzz and The Worlds End, Shaun of the Dead was universally acclaimed for its humor and fresh take on the zombie film, and remains one of Wright and Peggs most popular movies.
Currently streaming on: Hulu (requires premium subscription)
One of the most critically acclaimed zombie movies in recent years, Train to Busan is a Korean horror movie that will leave you on the edge of your seat and literally sweating with anxiety for its entire two-hour runtime.
As a zombie outbreak occurs throughout the country, a group of survivors on a high-speed train attempt to travel to the supposed safety of Busan from Seoul. A chilling horror movie that will give you goosebumps anytime a zombie appears on screen, Train to Busan was such a successful horror film, a sequel titled Peninsula soon followed.
Currently streaming on: Hulu
Okay, technically not a zombie movie in its own rightthe movie also includes ghosts, witches, and nefarious adults ParaNorman makes creative use of zombies in this highly enjoyable animated comedy fantasy horror movie. After an ancient curse brings about a zombie apocalypse in a small New England town, a boy with the supernatural ability to speak with the dead (voiced by Kodi Smit-McPhee) travels with a group of companions from town in an attempt to reverse the spell and return everything to normal.
While not strictly a zombie movie, ParaNorman nevertheless offers a fun, lighthearted adventure in this award-winning animated movie.
Currently streaming on: Netflix
Love them or hate them, zombie movies are one of the most popular subcategories of horror, producing some of the scariest movies of all time. Already, weve seen two huge zombie crazes in pop culture, the first launched by the pioneer of the modern zombie movie, George A. Romero, that lasted from the late 1960s to the 1980s, and the second taking place throughout the 2000s, redefining the genre and moving it to other platforms as well (namely video game series like Resident Evil, Dead Rising, and Left 4 Dead).
We dont know what the future holds for zombie films, but looking to the past, we assembled this list of the best zombie movies to stream right now. For those looking for other classics of the zombie genre, we also recommend watching Romeros second and third entries in his Night of the Living Dead series, the original 1978 Dawn of the Dead, and 1985s Day of the Dead.
RELATED: 10 Facts About Hobbiton
Richard Chachowski is a freelance writer based in New Jersey. He loves reading, his dog Tootsie, and pretty much every movie to ever exist (especially Star Wars).
Originally posted here:
The Best Zombie Movies to Stream Right Now - Your Money Geek
- The 31 Scariest Movie Scenes Ever - /Film - October 20th, 2021
- In the Mood for a Scary Movie? Here Are 12 That Are Set in DC. - Washingtonian - October 20th, 2021
- Halloween parades, scary movies, and other spooky activities happening this week - PennLive - October 20th, 2021
- The 11 scariest movies on Netflix right now - AL.com - October 20th, 2021
- Disney's 'Dark Phase' in the '80s Resulted In These Surprisingly Scary Movies - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- Night Teeth cast: Whos in the new Netflix movie? - Netflix Life - October 20th, 2021
- Scary films and TV shows new to Netflix in time for Halloween this year - Daily Record - October 20th, 2021
- Jamie Kennedy Says SCREAM Is the Perfect Gen-X Film - Nerdist - October 20th, 2021
- Scream Therapy: The Mental Health Benefits of Horror Movies - Healthline - October 20th, 2021
- The Most Popular Movies On Netflix Besides 'The Forgotten Battle' - Yahoo News - October 20th, 2021
- The Best Halloween Movies to Watch on HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, and More - TV Guide - October 20th, 2021
- 'Stargirl' Season 2 Is the Perfect Horror Series to Watch for Halloween - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- The Amazon Reboot of I Know What You Did Last Summer Is Almost Nothing Like the Classic Movie - POPSUGAR - October 20th, 2021
- What is the scariest experience youve had in a movie theater? - The A.V. Club - October 20th, 2021
- Parents and Gen Zers Most Likely to Overspend on Halloween This Year - KKTV 11 News - October 20th, 2021
- Best scary movies on Hulu in October 2021 - Tom's Guide - October 9th, 2021
- Trust in scientific process erodes further with study that calls Host the scariest movie ever made - The A.V. Club - October 9th, 2021
- Scary Movies to Watch in the Dark | A&E | 425magazine.com - 425magazine.com - October 9th, 2021
- First-of-its-kind Haunted House Restaurant offers family-friendly frights - Attractions Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- Beetlejuice: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About The Michael Keaton Movie - Cinema Blend - October 9th, 2021
- 20 of the Best Ghost Movies of All Time - Lifehacker - October 9th, 2021
- Halloween Happenings: A guide to spooky (and not so scary) festivities in North County - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 9th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Madres' on Amazon Prime, a Blumhouse Creepfest That Insists Living People are Scarier Than Dead Ones - Decider - October 9th, 2021
- Scary Movies: The Conjuring Universe All Films Ranked! - Top 10 Films - October 9th, 2021
- 7 new movies and TV shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max and more this weekend - TechRadar - October 9th, 2021
- Where to watch 'Malignant' online: streams on HBO Max through October 10 - Business Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Jason Blum on what makes a good horror film: Best scares wont work if theres no story - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2021
- Screaming Live on Snapchat: 6 of the Most Unique Found Footage Movies! - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- The scariest films on Netflix, Amazon Prime and TV this Halloween and how to watch them - Wales Online - October 9th, 2021
- This is the top searched Halloween candy, according to Google Trends - Fox Business - October 9th, 2021
- 8 Haunted Houses That Deliver the Fright This Spooky Season - 5280 - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- Enjoy October With Candyman & Midnight Mass - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - October 9th, 2021
- Celebrate The Halloween Season With 6 Scary Things To Do in Barrie - Barrie 360 - October 9th, 2021
- 15 Best Scary Movies Streaming On Hulu - Best Scary Movies on Hulu - Seventeen.com - September 5th, 2021
- The 30 Best Scary Movies on Netflix in 2021 - PureWow - September 5th, 2021
- Even during the pandemic, horror movies remain one of the most profitable genres at the box office - CNBC - September 5th, 2021
- Marlon Wayans: What To Watch If You Like The Respect Star - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- The 15 Scariest Horror Movies On Hulu Right Now - /FILM - September 5th, 2021
- New Clubhouse-Created Horror Anthology in the Works - Hollywood Reporter - September 5th, 2021
- SPIN Is A Wholesome And Worthy Addition To Your Family Movie Nights - Scary Mommy - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Big Scary S Word': Documentary film viewers of the world, unite! - People's World - September 5th, 2021
- Movie Review | Candyman: Bold, scary sequel brings a classic bogeyman to the modern world - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - September 5th, 2021
- The Real Reason Why Horror Movies Are Still Killing It At The Box Office - Looper - September 5th, 2021
- 6 New and Upcoming Horror Movies to Get You in the Halloween Spirit - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Last Night in Soho Review: Edgar Wrights Retro Horror Has Its Heart in the Sixties and Its Head All Over the Place - Variety - September 5th, 2021
- Tickets for the Terrifyingly Fun SLAY Film Fest are Now on Sale! - TheStranger.com - September 5th, 2021
- Diana biopic Spencer is 'like a horror film' and not The Crown - Metro.co.uk - September 5th, 2021
- I was sexually abused and tortured by my parents who stapled my EYELIDS open so Id have to watch a scary f... - The US Sun - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Movies And Shows Coming To Paramount+ In September 2021 - /FILM - September 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in September 2021 - Film School Rejects - September 5th, 2021
- Aftermath on Netflix is a new horror movie that has subscribers so freaked out - BGR - August 10th, 2021
- Derry Girls star Louisa Harland takes on blood-thirsty vampire in new Irish horror movie - Sunday World - August 10th, 2021
- Box Office: As Blockbusters Bomb, Horror Films Thrive In A Covid-Stricken Summer - Forbes - August 10th, 2021
- Dive Down the Rabbit Hole With 6 of the Best Conspiracy Horror Films - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- What The Little Boy From Casper Looks Like Now - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- 9 Jordan Peele Movies And TV Shows And Where To Watch Them - CinemaBlend - August 10th, 2021
- Trailer For 'MARLON WAYANS: YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS' Comedy Special - BlackFilm.com - Blackfilm - August 10th, 2021
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in August 2021and What's Leaving - TIME - August 10th, 2021
- The Classic Horror Movie Fans Of American Horror Stories' Ba'al Need To Watch - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- The Lawsuit That Stopped Production On Friday The 13th - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- 'Inception' Was Almost a Horror Film Instead of Sci-Fi - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2021
- Weekend movie marathon: 6 new and popular Hindi horror movies on Zee5 and more that you can finish in 11 hours - GQ India - August 10th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, and More in August 2021 - TV Guide - August 10th, 2021
- Anya Taylor-Joy is the new scream queen in upcoming horror film Last Night in Soho - HOLA! USA - August 10th, 2021
- The Cast Of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Is Gorgeous In Real Life - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- This TikToker watched 1,000 horror films and here are the ones she actually rates - Cosmopolitan UK - July 26th, 2021
- Horror film Old has one of the scariest scenes youll see this year - JOE.ie - July 26th, 2021
- Fear Street Star Olivia Scott Welch Pulls Back the Curtain on the Hit Netflix Trilogy - Hollywood Reporter - July 26th, 2021
- Night of the Kings, Lucky and More Streaming Gems - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in August - Insider - July 26th, 2021
- The Dos and Don'ts of Watching Horror Movies - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- 11 Great Comedy Specials On Netflix From People Of Color, Including Russell Peters - CinemaBlend - July 26th, 2021
- Updates From The Batman and The Flash Are, Somehow, Still Both About Batman - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: 'Bonnie and Clyde'; 'Forrest Gump' - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- New on Netflix: The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming in August - Vanity Fair - July 26th, 2021
- These 4 Pittsburgh businesses are keeping kids (and parents) entertained and educated - NEXTpittsburgh - July 26th, 2021
- The Biggest A24 Movies Of All Time - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Comedy Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- False Positive review: On Hulu, pregnancy is fertile ground for scary-movie thrills - Chicago Sun-Times - July 1st, 2021
- Movie review: The Conjuring 3 was alright for me - The Daily Evergreen - July 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero