This article first appeared inKidsburgh.org, a media partner of NEXTpittsburgh that focuses on making Pittsburgh a better place to raise kids.
Ask anybody with kids and theyll tell you parenting is the hardest job around. During the pandemic, moms and dads were working overtime. With the world shut down, they had to find creative ways to keep their kids educated, enriched and entertained. Lets face it. We could all use a little help in that department with or without a pandemic.
These four Pittsburgh-based businesses are taking some pressure off caregivers nationwide by providing them with useful, kid-friendly products and services.
Ali Popivchak is a parent, an educator and a yoga therapist. She combined these three passions intoYugo, an interactive card game that makes yoga accessible for kids of all ages. Not flexible? Go at your own pace.
Popivchak designed Yugo with an emphasis on fostering positive communication and mindful play. The deck features animal characters each with their own personality and story to help participants learn poses in their own body rather than trying to mirror another person or instructor.
As a yoga educator, Ive found the game to be a wonderful way for family, friends and other groups to practice yoga together, she says.
Yoga helped Popivchak an instructor for UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital harness her own energy to power through ongoing medical issues. The deck and its mindful mascots help people find their own Zen through more than 40 yoga-inspired activities.
Life doesnt always deal us a fair hand, but with Yugo, Popivachak hopes we can learn to relax, find balance and re-energize to improve our situation.
Yugo sells for $24.95 on thewebsite, where you can also download free color pages.
Photo courtesy of Pitch a Fte.
2. Pitch A Fte
Sometimes a pillow fort just isnt enough to stir the imagination.
Pitch a Fte, a childrens party boutique based in Pittsburgh, delivers a rentable DIY teepee party experience to your door.
During the lockdown, makeshift tents went up in living rooms across the country as kids longed to change their surroundings even just a little bit. Pitch a Fte (thats French for celebration) has multiple themes to choose from.
Hang with superheroes, go on a safari or chill in outer space. Some teepee parties are holiday-specific. Good Gravy is a Thanksgiving shindig. Teens will dig the Doomsday party, a skull-and-spider-heavy kit that creates the perfect setting for snuggling up with a scary movie on All Hallows Eve. The business provides the bones of the bash, you just have to put it together (although professional help is available).
Photo courtesy of Pitch a Fte.
Rentals include the tipi frame and fabric, an inflatable sleeping pad and foot pump, custom pad cover and coordinating pillows, bed tray table, battery-operated lantern and decorations and activities that take the creative play experience to a new level.
There are also eco-friendly cardboard playhouses that kids can color and ala carte items like balloons, plates and napkins to round out the fun. When the party is over, simply send the Fte Crate packages back to be laundered and stored for the next fiesta or rainy-day activity.
You can even ask about purchasing a tipi if your kids (or you!) want to pitch a fte every day.
Cassidy Adkins, aka Miss Cassidy Creates.
3. Miss Cassidy Creates
Theater artist Cassidy Adkins has been entertaining families for years as a performer and party princess and she didnt stop during the lockdown.
Her social media series,Miss Cassidy Creates, was and continues to be a go-to online resource for happiness. During the pandemic, Adkins gained more than 10,000 new followers on Facebook. She is now expanding her mission by launching a website and adding a series of in-person and digital private booking opportunities.
Adkins graduated with a theatre degree from Point Park Universitys Conservatory of Performing Arts. She has taught for Bricolage Production Company, Pittsburgh Musical Theater and the Pittsburgh CLO Academy of Musical Theater.
Through Miss Cassidy Creates, she provides engaging learning opportunities for kids throughout the region. Adkins teaches art, science, history and life skills in a fun, interactive and accessible way.
Working with kids has always brought me joy, Adkins says. By discovering and experimenting with their creativity, kids build confidence and start to see that their voice and perspective have power in the world. As Miss Cassidy, I create a space where kids feel empowered to find their inner weirdo and develop their sense of self.
Photo courtesy of Picky Eaters.
4. Picky Eaters
Got a picky eater on your hands? Karen Krieger and Stephanie Fedro-Byrom can relate. Busy moms themselves, they were often overwhelmed by mealtime meltdowns.
The friends joined forces to createPicky Eaters, a company that sells two-pronged plastic picks that are topped by cute characters, such as a dinosaur, gopher, kitty and owl.
The BPA-free utensils, which are manufactured in Meadville, earned a Childrens Product Certificate by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Kids can skewer their fruits and veggies with the kooky characters and make dining a truly wild experience.
While the founders forbid children from using their products for bullfighting, harpooning whales, spearfishing or sword fighting, they say Picky Eaters make the perfect cane for a small fairy or gnome.
Picky Eatersstart at $8.95.
kidsburghthings to do with kids
- The 31 Scariest Movie Scenes Ever - /Film - October 20th, 2021
- In the Mood for a Scary Movie? Here Are 12 That Are Set in DC. - Washingtonian - October 20th, 2021
- Halloween parades, scary movies, and other spooky activities happening this week - PennLive - October 20th, 2021
- The 11 scariest movies on Netflix right now - AL.com - October 20th, 2021
- Disney's 'Dark Phase' in the '80s Resulted In These Surprisingly Scary Movies - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- Night Teeth cast: Whos in the new Netflix movie? - Netflix Life - October 20th, 2021
- Scary films and TV shows new to Netflix in time for Halloween this year - Daily Record - October 20th, 2021
- Jamie Kennedy Says SCREAM Is the Perfect Gen-X Film - Nerdist - October 20th, 2021
- Scream Therapy: The Mental Health Benefits of Horror Movies - Healthline - October 20th, 2021
- The Most Popular Movies On Netflix Besides 'The Forgotten Battle' - Yahoo News - October 20th, 2021
- The Best Halloween Movies to Watch on HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, and More - TV Guide - October 20th, 2021
- 'Stargirl' Season 2 Is the Perfect Horror Series to Watch for Halloween - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- The Amazon Reboot of I Know What You Did Last Summer Is Almost Nothing Like the Classic Movie - POPSUGAR - October 20th, 2021
- What is the scariest experience youve had in a movie theater? - The A.V. Club - October 20th, 2021
- Parents and Gen Zers Most Likely to Overspend on Halloween This Year - KKTV 11 News - October 20th, 2021
- Best scary movies on Hulu in October 2021 - Tom's Guide - October 9th, 2021
- Trust in scientific process erodes further with study that calls Host the scariest movie ever made - The A.V. Club - October 9th, 2021
- Scary Movies to Watch in the Dark | A&E | 425magazine.com - 425magazine.com - October 9th, 2021
- First-of-its-kind Haunted House Restaurant offers family-friendly frights - Attractions Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- Beetlejuice: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About The Michael Keaton Movie - Cinema Blend - October 9th, 2021
- 20 of the Best Ghost Movies of All Time - Lifehacker - October 9th, 2021
- Halloween Happenings: A guide to spooky (and not so scary) festivities in North County - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 9th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Madres' on Amazon Prime, a Blumhouse Creepfest That Insists Living People are Scarier Than Dead Ones - Decider - October 9th, 2021
- Scary Movies: The Conjuring Universe All Films Ranked! - Top 10 Films - October 9th, 2021
- 7 new movies and TV shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max and more this weekend - TechRadar - October 9th, 2021
- Where to watch 'Malignant' online: streams on HBO Max through October 10 - Business Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Jason Blum on what makes a good horror film: Best scares wont work if theres no story - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2021
- Screaming Live on Snapchat: 6 of the Most Unique Found Footage Movies! - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- The scariest films on Netflix, Amazon Prime and TV this Halloween and how to watch them - Wales Online - October 9th, 2021
- This is the top searched Halloween candy, according to Google Trends - Fox Business - October 9th, 2021
- 8 Haunted Houses That Deliver the Fright This Spooky Season - 5280 - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- Enjoy October With Candyman & Midnight Mass - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - October 9th, 2021
- Celebrate The Halloween Season With 6 Scary Things To Do in Barrie - Barrie 360 - October 9th, 2021
- 15 Best Scary Movies Streaming On Hulu - Best Scary Movies on Hulu - Seventeen.com - September 5th, 2021
- The 30 Best Scary Movies on Netflix in 2021 - PureWow - September 5th, 2021
- Even during the pandemic, horror movies remain one of the most profitable genres at the box office - CNBC - September 5th, 2021
- Marlon Wayans: What To Watch If You Like The Respect Star - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- The 15 Scariest Horror Movies On Hulu Right Now - /FILM - September 5th, 2021
- New Clubhouse-Created Horror Anthology in the Works - Hollywood Reporter - September 5th, 2021
- SPIN Is A Wholesome And Worthy Addition To Your Family Movie Nights - Scary Mommy - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Big Scary S Word': Documentary film viewers of the world, unite! - People's World - September 5th, 2021
- Movie Review | Candyman: Bold, scary sequel brings a classic bogeyman to the modern world - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - September 5th, 2021
- The Real Reason Why Horror Movies Are Still Killing It At The Box Office - Looper - September 5th, 2021
- 6 New and Upcoming Horror Movies to Get You in the Halloween Spirit - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Last Night in Soho Review: Edgar Wrights Retro Horror Has Its Heart in the Sixties and Its Head All Over the Place - Variety - September 5th, 2021
- Tickets for the Terrifyingly Fun SLAY Film Fest are Now on Sale! - TheStranger.com - September 5th, 2021
- Diana biopic Spencer is 'like a horror film' and not The Crown - Metro.co.uk - September 5th, 2021
- I was sexually abused and tortured by my parents who stapled my EYELIDS open so Id have to watch a scary f... - The US Sun - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Movies And Shows Coming To Paramount+ In September 2021 - /FILM - September 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in September 2021 - Film School Rejects - September 5th, 2021
- Aftermath on Netflix is a new horror movie that has subscribers so freaked out - BGR - August 10th, 2021
- Derry Girls star Louisa Harland takes on blood-thirsty vampire in new Irish horror movie - Sunday World - August 10th, 2021
- Box Office: As Blockbusters Bomb, Horror Films Thrive In A Covid-Stricken Summer - Forbes - August 10th, 2021
- Dive Down the Rabbit Hole With 6 of the Best Conspiracy Horror Films - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- What The Little Boy From Casper Looks Like Now - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- 9 Jordan Peele Movies And TV Shows And Where To Watch Them - CinemaBlend - August 10th, 2021
- Trailer For 'MARLON WAYANS: YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS' Comedy Special - BlackFilm.com - Blackfilm - August 10th, 2021
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in August 2021and What's Leaving - TIME - August 10th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies to Stream Right Now - Your Money Geek - August 10th, 2021
- The Classic Horror Movie Fans Of American Horror Stories' Ba'al Need To Watch - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- The Lawsuit That Stopped Production On Friday The 13th - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- 'Inception' Was Almost a Horror Film Instead of Sci-Fi - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2021
- Weekend movie marathon: 6 new and popular Hindi horror movies on Zee5 and more that you can finish in 11 hours - GQ India - August 10th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, and More in August 2021 - TV Guide - August 10th, 2021
- Anya Taylor-Joy is the new scream queen in upcoming horror film Last Night in Soho - HOLA! USA - August 10th, 2021
- The Cast Of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Is Gorgeous In Real Life - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- This TikToker watched 1,000 horror films and here are the ones she actually rates - Cosmopolitan UK - July 26th, 2021
- Horror film Old has one of the scariest scenes youll see this year - JOE.ie - July 26th, 2021
- Fear Street Star Olivia Scott Welch Pulls Back the Curtain on the Hit Netflix Trilogy - Hollywood Reporter - July 26th, 2021
- Night of the Kings, Lucky and More Streaming Gems - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in August - Insider - July 26th, 2021
- The Dos and Don'ts of Watching Horror Movies - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- 11 Great Comedy Specials On Netflix From People Of Color, Including Russell Peters - CinemaBlend - July 26th, 2021
- Updates From The Batman and The Flash Are, Somehow, Still Both About Batman - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: 'Bonnie and Clyde'; 'Forrest Gump' - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- New on Netflix: The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming in August - Vanity Fair - July 26th, 2021
- The Biggest A24 Movies Of All Time - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Comedy Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- False Positive review: On Hulu, pregnancy is fertile ground for scary-movie thrills - Chicago Sun-Times - July 1st, 2021
- Movie review: The Conjuring 3 was alright for me - The Daily Evergreen - July 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero