Helstrom may be over, but it's a solid bet that it won't be long before the next time you see Trevor Roberts, who played Father Crow -- a holy man with a dark secret -- on screen. He's the kind of character actor that you can get one look at, and know you've seen him before. Roberts has appeared in movies like Scary Movie and TV series like Once Upon a Time and Altered Carbon. Helstrom's cancellation means he's out looking for his next gig, but we took some time to chat with him about his time on the show, and some of the other projects that he might revisit down the line.
So, did he know the dark secrets of his character before he took the job? And what does he think would happen if his Helstrom character was dropped into Once Upon a Time?
Roberts recently joined ComicBook.com to break down the first season of Helstrom and talk about some of his other recent projects.
Coming into Helstrom, did you know Father Crow's secret, or did you find that out as you worked through the scripts?
The casting process was really interesting with Helstrom. Lots of secrecy from the very beginning. Butonce I was tapped for the role of Father Crow/Raum, the powers that be, gave me a pretty thorough debrief. I think it went something like, Okay, so youre not a sleazy businessman, youre a catholic priest possessed by a demon. Blinkblink. Kay. From that point on, it was like having a script Christmas every couple weeks. We were all finding out at the table reads about the Helstrom family story, and where we all fit in the puzzle, it was a blast!
You've been working in TV for a while now. Is it still a little jarring that so many things now are seen via the binge model, so the twists and turns of a series like Helstrom are out there almost immediately?
I think its the direction things have been going for a few years now. Myself, I do really enjoy the longing for the next episode. The delay of that story gratificationits incredible if you discipline yourself. Soyeah, I guess binge culture is a bit of a bummer to me. As for being part of the cast of the show, I found myself eager to watch season one play out, but I also wanted to savour the experience. Whats been fun, has been the messages that people are sending about their viewing experiences. People have been extremely passionate and excited about the show.
Had there been a second season, would you want to have a chance to play Father Crow more straight, as a human priest, or do you think it'd be more fun to see him get somehow sucked into the supernatural hijinks again?
Ive thought about this I think it would be really interesting to see what a priest is like, after being possessed by a demon for so long. That experience would have such an incredible effect on the psyche of a man of faith that would be delicious to play with. And if he were then possessed by a different demon, we see another side. Yeah, lots of directions to go there! (But, alas, Helstrom has not been renewed for season 2.)
Are you the sort of actor who gives yourself a backstory for the characters you play, or are you bound to exactly what's on the page?
For me, I start with what the writers give me. Words on the page are just TOILED over, so theres so much information theyre giving you. And then, yes absolutely, fleshing your character or characters out is essential. Its that kind of prep that makes it easier to play when youre finally in a scene with great actors.
If the former, can you give any insight into what you kind of told yourself about Father Crow and/or Raum?
For Father Crow, I did some research on the Catholic Church, what that seminary program was like, and thought a lot about what Joshuas spiritual path/calling was like. And, Id had a suspicion that I wasnt going to be playing Father Crow for very long.which, turned out to be true.
Raum was a more organic experience for me. As every script came my way, I would get to see what he does, hear what he says, see how he fails! And what I found fun to work with was figuring out that Raum is the runt of the litter. He just wants to be Mothers favoriteor even in her top 3!!
Obviously, you've been in a lot of shows with heightened realities over the years. If you could transplant Father Crow into one of those series for an arc and just go nuts in another world, which show would you pick?
I think a character like Father Crow if taken out of Helstrom, and dropped in Storybrooke, could be an interesting character in Once Upon A Time. He would OBVIOUSLY be an evil villain in a fantasy realm while being the town priest in the real world. I think I should pitch the show as a re-re-boot!
On that note there's a new Scream coming. You've said that the Scary Movie scene still hangs over you all these years later. If you could do a new one, what would be your ideal parody role? I feel like Wazzzzzup isn't as timely now...!
Okay, so if Im playing a character, in one of these movies, right now, at my ageIm 45 Im gonna have to go with Ridiculously Creepy Redneck Guy who is sadly misunderstood/has a heart of gold and a potty mouth!
Seems like a guy whod probably make it to the third act, before getting slashed, right?
Read more from the original source:
Trevor Roberts Talks Helstrom, What He Would Do in a New Scary Movie, and More - ComicBook.com
- The 'Frozen' Ski Movie Trending On Hulu Is Definitely Not The 'Frozen' You're Thinking Of - Decider - January 15th, 2021
- Jurassic Park & World: The 5 Worst Things That The Dinosaurs Did (& 5 Best) - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- 'Go-Big Show' Returns With A SCARY Alligator Stunt And A One-Armed Archer - Talent Recap - January 15th, 2021
- The Invisible Man and His Visible Victim - Justia Verdict - January 15th, 2021
- Alien Isolation Review: This Nightmare-Inducing Video Game Helped Me Process Pandemic Anxiety - Self - January 15th, 2021
- Celebrity birthdays for the week of Jan. 17-23 - Minneapolis Star Tribune - January 15th, 2021
- How A24 Horror Movies & Arthouse Horror Became Popular In The 2010s - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- Where is Love In The Forecast filmed? Here are more details about the film - Republic World - January 15th, 2021
- Stimulus Package 2021: What Could Be In It For You - - wmmr.com - January 15th, 2021
- Vikram Bhatt's next horror film gets a Hollywood touch - Times of India - January 15th, 2021
- Are you an OTT addict? Watch these top 5 films and shows on your mobile phones - Zee News - January 15th, 2021
- The Art of the Jump Scare Through Horror History | HorrorGeekLife - Horror Geek Life - January 12th, 2021
- The Evil Twin: Release date, plot, cast and all you need to know about the Lifetime thriller movie - MEAWW - January 12th, 2021
- Every Death That Was Foreshadowed In The Final Destination Movies (& How) - Screen Rant - January 12th, 2021
- The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Recap: Whos Afraid of Jen Shah? - Vulture - January 12th, 2021
- Review: This week's releases confront their fears (Includes first-hand account) - Digital Journal - January 12th, 2021
- Charming Voice Cast: Who's Voicing Each Character In The Netflix Movie - CinemaBlend - January 9th, 2021
- 6 new Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max movies and shows to watch this weekend - Gamesradar - January 9th, 2021
- First Images from New Year's Slasher 'Time's Up' Reveal Killer "Father Time" and the Cast [Exclusive] - Bloody Disgusting - January 9th, 2021
- Essay: Attacks on national symbols matter I havent felt so sickened since 9/11 - Houston Chronicle - January 9th, 2021
- Every A24 Horror Movie Ranked From Worst To Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - January 9th, 2021
- Talking Point: How Are You Keeping Fit And Active In 2021? - Nintendo Life - January 9th, 2021
- YouTube makes huge collection of classic horror films free to stream in lockdown heres everything on the li - The Sun - January 9th, 2021
- The Borderlands Movie With Cate Blanchett And Kevin Hart Will Film In Budapest, And Maybe Soon - GameSpot - January 9th, 2021
- Who Are the Actors in the Nacho Fries Commercial? What to Know - Distractify - January 9th, 2021
- Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina goes out in a wild blaze of overplotting - The A.V. Club - January 9th, 2021
- Late Night Hosts React to "Scary," "Bizarre" and "Frightening" Chaos at the Capitol - Hollywood Reporter - January 9th, 2021
- Girl Vs. Monster: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Things You Didn't Know About The Movie - Screen Rant - January 9th, 2021
- Anna Faris' Transformation Is Something To See - Nicki Swift - January 9th, 2021
- We deserve to tell the stories of our unique lived experience - Sydney Morning Herald - January 9th, 2021
- 10 Celebs Who Are Turning 50 In 2021 | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? Season 2 Trailer Shows a Scary Expanded Scope - Den of Geek - January 9th, 2021
- Kirk Cameron spreads cheer (and COVID?) at caroling protests - Los Angeles Times - December 25th, 2020
- George Clooney on The Midnight Sky and Donald Trump - The New York Times - December 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Movies of 2020: Perri's List from Hamilton to Birds of Prey - Collider.com - December 25th, 2020
- Horror Movie Mythos: The True Story Behind 'Wolf Creek' - Horror Geek Life - December 25th, 2020
- See what happened to the cast of How The Grinch Stole Christmas - Heart - December 25th, 2020
- All The Art & Pop Culture That Helped Us Survive 2020 - NowThis - December 25th, 2020
- Kiernan Shipka on Her Love of Horror and the Eldritch Terrors That Await in the Final Season of "Sabrina" [Interview] - Bloody Disgusting - December 25th, 2020
- 'Soul' hits the right notes - The Providence Journal - December 25th, 2020
- COVID threatens 'the cultural water cooler' of small movie theaters. Will they survive a slow holiday season? - USA TODAY - December 25th, 2020
- OMG ! Have a look at the alluring Cast List of Scary Movie . - PDQ Wire - December 21st, 2020
- Movie magic under the stars carried us through the year of COVID - The Providence Journal - December 21st, 2020
- Haunting Of Hill House: 10 Classic Horror Franchises That Deserve The TV Show Treatment - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- James Gunn's 'Peacemaker' and the Russo Bros Film 'The Gray Man' Add New Cast Members - /FILM - December 21st, 2020
- 8 Horror Movies Supposedly Based On "True" Events - WhatCulture - December 21st, 2020
- Stephen King Movies: Let's look back to the epic movies by the legend Stephen King! - PDQ Wire - December 21st, 2020
- Watch the Scary Trailer For THE VILLAGE IN THE WOODS - Arrives on VOD, Digital and DVD January 19th - We Are Movie Geeks - December 21st, 2020
- Bray Wyatt comments on a potential horror movie about The Fiend - Wrestling World - December 21st, 2020
- The 21 Worst Movies Of 2020 According To Metacritic - GameSpot - December 21st, 2020
- What is Shudder? Everything you need to know about the horror streaming service - Business Insider India - December 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus mutation not as scary as it sounds - The Conversation UK - December 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus mutation is not as scary as it sounds - Down To Earth Magazine - December 16th, 2020
- These are the six best movies on TV tonight - Lovin.ie - December 16th, 2020
- Kaley Cuoco shares amazing story behind Kunal Nayyars Big Bang Theory audition - The News International - December 16th, 2020
- Megan Thee Stallion Loves Scary Movies So Much That She's Making Her Own Horror Flick - Hypefresh - December 16th, 2020
- A Nightmare On Elm Street: 25 Easter Eggs And Things You Didn't Know About The Freddy Krueger Movie - GameSpot - December 16th, 2020
- Skip or stream: 'Wild Mountain Thyme,' 'Ammonite,' 'Prom' and 'Wolfwalkers' - The Patriot Ledger - December 16th, 2020
- Googles 2020 Year In Search Will Make You Feel Things - Scary Mommy - December 16th, 2020
- Marvel Promises Sam Raimi's 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' is "Scary, Thrilling and Mind-Bending" - Bloody Disgusting - December 14th, 2020
- Clap Along to Regina Halls 50th Birthday Anthem - Vulture - December 14th, 2020
- Regina Hall Gets Candid On Her Showtime Deal, Black Monday And Turning 50 - Forbes - December 14th, 2020
- Is 'Scream' Based On A True Story? | TheThings - TheThings - December 14th, 2020
- High School Musical cast - where are the stars 14 years since the Disney film? - Mirror Online - December 11th, 2020
- What's on TV Thursday: 'One Night Only: Best of Broadway' - Los Angeles Times - December 10th, 2020
- Snatch And 9 Other Movies That Turn 20 Years Old In 2020 - Screen Rant - December 10th, 2020
- Christmas she wrote cast: Actors and the characters they play in the Christmas themed film - Republic World - December 10th, 2020
- Chennedy Carter Is Bringing 'Hollywood' to the WNBA | SLAM - SLAM Online - December 10th, 2020
- Movies on TV this week: 'Toy Story' and 'Toy Story 2' on Freeform - Los Angeles Times - December 10th, 2020
- This Is the Absolute Best 90s Holiday Movie, According to My 5-Year-Old - PureWow - December 10th, 2020
- The 20 best body-swap films ranked! | Film - The Guardian - December 10th, 2020
- Changing of the seasons evident | Getting Out | leadertelegram.com - Leader-Telegram - December 4th, 2020
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in December 2020 - Film School Rejects - December 4th, 2020
- Warner Bros. Will Launch Every 2021 Movie On HBO Max & In Theaters - Scary Mommy - December 4th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 10 Times The Show Tried To Be Scary (But Ended Up Being Funny) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - December 4th, 2020
- Physical And Mental Impact Of Watching Horror Movies - BOL News - December 4th, 2020
- The best horror movies of 2020 - Looper - December 1st, 2020
- The 10 Best Movies of 2020 - Vanity Fair - December 1st, 2020
- This Terrifying New Movie Is Already Ranked #10 on Netflix (& It Will Scare Your Socks Off) - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 1st, 2020
- Some Movies Actually Understand Poverty in America - The New York Times - December 1st, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero