Major spoilers below for anyone who hasn't yet seen Fear the Walking Dead's Season 5 premiere.
Fans of AMC's Dead-verse have already been anticipating a major crossover in Fear the Walking Dead Season 5 in the form of the flagship series' Dwight, with actor Austin Amelio joining the spinoff's cast. What fans probably didn't expect, however, was for Fear's season premiere to introduce a direct connection to the mystery surrounding The Walking Dead's Rick Grimes and his "rescue" via helicopter.
Not only did this moment bring up a startlingly awesome realization, but it also led to a character getting taken away and put in presumed danger. Now let's dive into the details, shall we?
The basic set-up: half of the survivor group took a plane out to try and save a survivor named Logan, but the plane crashed in an undesirable area. At one point, a walker wearing a black protective uniform confronted Al, who had trouble taking the attention-grabbing zombie down.
On a growing hunch, Al returned to the site later that evening along and against others' wishes, naturally and took a closer look at the walker's outfit and gear. She found that the uniform itself was curiously all wired up, and then she discovered a small bag full of potential clues.
One was a paper map that featured the very same three interlocking rings symbol that was first seen on the outside of the helicopter that picked up Rick and Jadis in The Walking Dead Season 9 during the episode "What Comes After." That installment was Andrew Lincoln and Pollyanna McIntosh's final episode, obviously making it a supremely major episode within the canon.
That wasn't all, though. Al also found a set of plastic cards that were marked with what looked like state counties or some other kinds of boundary-marked areas. Each one of the cards was also marked with the three-ring symbol, adding fuel to the mystery fire.
Unfortunately, viewers didn't get to find out what happened with Al. Right as she was calling to Morgan to confirm that she was right about the situation needing more research, another person decked out in the protective uniform suddenly came in and zapped Al with a stun gun. The episode ended with the new character looking into Al's camera. (Not exactly a barrel of laughs.)
That's obviously going to be the $64,000 question for this universe in the near-to-distant future, with fans seeking to figure out what the three symbols mean, and who might be leading this new group. There are two theoretical foundations to base those guesses on.
The easier-to-understand angle is that the soldier-esque people Al engaged are indeed part of the same group that Jadis was in contact with on The Walking Dead. Fans have already suspected that the ringed symbol looks enough like the traditional biohazard symbol that it probably indicates radioactivity in the area. Combine that with the teases fans have already gotten about potentially radiated walkers in Season 5, and it certainly throws an interesting wrinkle into the narratives of both shows.
The harder-to-buy angle is that while the map-carrying characters in Fear the Walking Dead are legitimately tied to the three-ring symbol, whoever is flying that helicopter on The Walking Dead might not be. I wouldn't be completely surprised if the shows offered up the explanation that Jadis' "friends" had stolen that helicopter from whatever group had it before, and that there's an overarching confrontation happening between the groups.
While it's obviously hard to guess something straight up, it's possible that Fear the Walking Dead could be removing Al (or another major character) out of the spinoff's narrative in order to also bring them into AMC's upcoming Rick Grimes movies. On the flip side, the franchise's overseer Scott Gimple may have figured out a way to use Fear as a proper introduction for Rick's movies, as opposed to trying to force it into the Virginia-set drama.
At this point, it's tough to grasp exactly who might be under those helmets and heavy uniforms. The fact that they matched, however, is a big sign that they're part of a well-supplied organization. I mean, The Kingdom soldiers shared similar "armor," but this is on another level entirely.
The fact that they were carrying symbol-marked maps and other materials is also a sign of this mission being much larger than just two people. Are they part of a larger group that's going out and taking stock of where the country's nuclear plants stand in terms of security? I suppose those county maps (if that's what they are) could indicate what areas would be the most heavily affected due to nuclear fallout.
But who could this larger group even be? Will it indeed end up being the Commonwealth community from The Walking Dead's comics? As fans of the source material are aware, there is a super-community out there that's seemingly the most advanced location in the country, as run by one Governor Pamela Milton. It's the same community that fans assumed Jayne Atkinson's Georgie hailed from whenever she appeared in Season 8. Could she be the next TWD character to appear on Fear?
Perhaps the more pertinent question for the near future is, "What will this new character end up doing to Al?" Maggie Grace is a series regular, and it's known that Season 5 will dig deeper into her collection of video interviews, so I wouldn't think the show intends to kill her off in the immediate future. That said, this is the show that kept Madison's fate a secret in Season 4 only to reveal that she'd somewhat needlessly sacrificed herself to save others, so...anything can happen.
What if these characters The season premiere already set up Matt Frewer's potential new villain Logan, as well as those kid characters that automatically seemed untrustworthy. So technically, this could be a case where Fear the Walking Dead is introducing another protagonist or two, as opposed to yet another threat.
Either way it goes, we've got another 15 episodes left in Fear the Walking Dead Season 5, so there are a large number of ways this entire plotline could shake out. The connection to Rick's future may be built up in huge ways, or it may not even be connected at all.
With the new horror adaptation NOS4A2 as its primetime companion, Fear the Walking Dead airs Sunday nights on AMC at 9:00 p.m. ET.
Follow this link:
Fear The Walking Dead Premiere Had A Huge Connection To The ...
- The Walking Dead star Norman Reedus calls season 10 finale battle full-on Game of Thrones' - NME - May 29th, 2020
- The Walking Dead's Norman Reedus compares season 10 finale to Game of Thrones - digitalspy.com - May 29th, 2020
- 'The Last Dance,' 'The Walking Dead' and Cable's Top 2019-20 Performers - Hollywood Reporter - May 29th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 5 Reasons Carol Is The Toughest Character In The Show (& 5 Reasons It's Michonne) - Screen Rant - May 29th, 2020
- New Walking Dead Theory May Reveal Who The Masked Man Is - We Got This Covered - May 29th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 5 Characters Who Died Too Soon (& 5 Who Should've Died Earlier) - Screen Rant - May 29th, 2020
- AMCs The Walking Dead Season 11 Release Date, Cast, Trailer, Plot and All Details You May Want To Know - The Courier Daily - May 29th, 2020
- The Best and (Mostly) Worst TV Wigs of the Decade, Chosen by Our Readers - TVLine - May 29th, 2020
- Walking Dead Star Daryl Dixon Shows His Respect To Rob Halford In A Classy Way - Metalheadzone - May 29th, 2020
- Outer Banks: 10 Other Works You've Seen The Cast In | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - May 29th, 2020
- The Walking Dead World Beyond: AMC finally reveals when spin-off could air - Express - May 26th, 2020
- Walking Dead: The Actor Who Almost Played Rick Grimes - Screen Rant - May 26th, 2020
- My Progress Watching The Walking Dead for the First Time Part 3 - knue.com - May 26th, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead: Recapping 10 Most Important Plot Points Before Season 6 - Screen Rant - May 26th, 2020
- The Walking Deads Samantha Morton in trouble after shaving head and eyebrows to transform into Alpha backf - The Sun - May 26th, 2020
- The smartest decisions in The Walking Dead: Part I - Undead Walking - May 25th, 2020
- Forget Zombies: Its Humans That Make The Walking Dead VR Truly Memorable - UploadVR - May 25th, 2020
- Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season 5 Rumors Shot Down by Skybound Games - ComicBook.com - May 25th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Fan Art Gives the Grimes Family Gruesome Deaths - ComicBook.com - May 25th, 2020
- The Best Apocalypse Shows and Movies to Stream - Fort Leavenworth Lamp - May 25th, 2020
- The Walking Dead producer admits he struggled with Glenn's death - digitalspy.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Why The Walking Dead & The Mist Share So Many Cast Members - Screen Rant - May 22nd, 2020
- Greg Nicotero opens up about the major Walking Dead moments hed have done differently - SYFY WIRE - May 22nd, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 11: Will Maggie Kill Negan? - International Business Times - May 22nd, 2020
- When Will The Walking Dead Season 10 Be on Netflix? - ComicBook.com - May 22nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Top 10 episodes - The Indian Express - May 22nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners Joins The Upload VR Showcase: Summer Edition - UploadVR - May 22nd, 2020
- Rumors of new Telltale's 'The Walking Dead' title have been debunked - Micky News - May 22nd, 2020
- Fear the Walking Dead alum unmasked on The Masked Singer season 3 - Undead Walking - May 22nd, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead Season 6: Here's What We Know So Far About It - NationEditions - May 22nd, 2020
- Perry's studio moves toward reopening while industry waits - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- Kelly Ripa Has Been Social Distancing With Her Family in the Caribbean - News Lagoon - May 22nd, 2020
- Friday Night In with the Morgans May 22 live stream: How to watch - Undead Walking - May 22nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead Producer Disagreed On Maggie And Negan Storylines - UPROXX - May 20th, 2020
- Fear The Walking Dead: 10 Things Fans Want To See In Season 6 - Screen Rant - May 20th, 2020
- Walking Dead: Can animals get the virus in The Walking Dead? - Express.co.uk - May 20th, 2020
- The Walking Dead's Zombie Virus: This Is The Cause, Says Creator Robert Kirkman - GameSpot - May 20th, 2020
- FanBolt Exclusive: On the Virtual Red Carpet with Dan Fogler, Ross Marquand, and Cooper Andrews - FanBolt - May 20th, 2020
- 'Legends of Tomorrow' Season 5 Episode 13 Preview: Show goes 'The Walking Dead' route with a zombie apocalypse - MEAWW - May 20th, 2020
- The Walking Dead almost had an ultra-dark serial killer plot with Beth 'slaughtered' in the woods - SYFY WIRE - May 19th, 2020
- Walking Dead producer pitched for Negan to die in season 8 - digitalspy.com - May 19th, 2020
- The Walking Dead World Beyond release date: When is Walking Dead spin-off out? - Express - May 19th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Why One Star Could Never Watch the Show - ComicBook.com - May 19th, 2020
- The Worst Decisions In The Walking Dead, Part II - Undead Walking - May 19th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Saints And Sinners PSVR Review - Noisy Pixel - May 19th, 2020
- The Walking Deads Angel Theory celebrates her 21st birthday - Undead Walking - May 19th, 2020
- Happy birthday to The Walking Dead star Khary Payton - Undead Walking - May 19th, 2020
- Atlanta Movie Tours Launching Virtual Fan Tours for Stranger Things, The Walking Dead and More! - FanBolt - May 19th, 2020
- Zoom Calls, Banana Bread and The Walking Dead - The Citizen - May 17th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Series Back On GOG.COM, Open Up With A 25% Off Discount - GeeksULTD - May 17th, 2020
- For the love of art and acting - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - May 17th, 2020
- The Walking Dead's Rick and Shane to reunite as Jon Bernthal 'returns' - Metro.co.uk - May 15th, 2020
- The Walking Dead producer gives update on Rick Grimes movie - digitalspy.com - May 15th, 2020
- Walking Dead: Why Commonwealth Is The Right Story For Season 11 - Screen Rant - May 15th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Killed off star says it 'would've made sense' to live on in FTWD - Express - May 15th, 2020
- The Walking Dead star says he really wanted to cross over with Fear TWD - digitalspy.com - May 15th, 2020
- The new Israeli government of the walking dead - Haaretz - May 15th, 2020
- My Progress Watching The Walking Dead for the First Time - knue.com - May 15th, 2020
- AMC and The Walking Dead should do virtual table reads for charity - Undead Walking - May 15th, 2020
- Here's How To Get Every Single Issue of The Walking Dead for Just $18 - Bleeding Cool News - May 15th, 2020
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan Says Hell Never Forget Abrahams Final Words On The Walking Dead - We Got This Covered - May 15th, 2020
- The Fear the Walking Dead cast celebrates Mothers Day 2020 - Undead Walking - May 15th, 2020
- Warzone Wednesday is Crawling with the Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - GamingLyfe Network - May 15th, 2020
- Production On 'The Walking Dead' Will Change 'Dramatically' - UPROXX - May 10th, 2020
- The Worst Decisions from AMCs The Walking Dead Part I - Undead Walking - May 10th, 2020
- Jon Bernthal Reportedly Returning For The Walking Dead Movies - We Got This Covered - May 10th, 2020
- Salute to the moms of The Walking Dead Universe Mothers Day 2020 - Undead Walking - May 10th, 2020
- Walking Dead Timeline Explained: When All 3 Shows Take Place (Each Season) - Screen Rant - May 10th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Michael Rooker Says The Cast Smells As Bad As They Look - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 10th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Characters Sorted Into Their Game Of Thrones Houses - Screen Rant - May 10th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: The 5 Best & 5 Worst Whisperer Episodes, Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - May 8th, 2020
- Greg Nicotero on The Walking Dead delay and how the pause could help the Rick movie - SYFY WIRE - May 8th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Saints And Sinners Is Now Available On The PSVR - Happy Gamer - May 8th, 2020
- Walking Dead Season 5: Why Did AMC Series Kill Tyreese Williams Off ? - The Tech Education - May 8th, 2020
- Friday Night In with the Morgans guests for May 8, 2020 - Undead Walking - May 8th, 2020
- Image Comics set to release The Walking Dead: The Alien hardcover in July - Undead Walking - May 6th, 2020
- Telltale's The Walking Dead: 10 Most Heartbreaking Deaths, Ranked - TheGamer - May 6th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Film May Not Hit the Big Screen - FanBolt - May 6th, 2020
- The walking dead undermine the Covid-19 lockdown at our collective peril - Daily Maverick - May 6th, 2020
- Every TV show forced to end early amid the coronavirus pandemic | Gallery - Wonderwall - May 6th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero