Abraham Ford actor Michael Cudlitz doesn't mince words about his former show.Credit: AMC
FormerThe Walking Deadstar Michael Cudlitz, better known to fans of the show as Abraham Ford, has some harsh words for the show he used to be a part of. Abraham met his end alongside Glenn (Steven Yeun) when Negan took his bat Lucille to both their skulls at the beginning of Season 7. In retrospect, it was a pretty good time to leaveThe Walking Dead.
It was the beginning of the end for AMC's zombie drama, at least until its surprising revival in Season 9 under the welcome stewardship of new showrunner Angela Kang. But the sad fact remains: Seasons 7 and 8 were horrible, no good lousy seasons of television that made so many poor choices I couldn't list them all if I tried.
And the show has suffered for it, with ratings collapsing even as it finally drags itself back from the brink. Indeed, both myself and my colleague Paul Tassi agree that Season 9 is one of the best so far (we talk at length about this in ourWalking Deadpodcast here.)
In any case, I'm not alone in thinking the past two seasons were hot garbage. Abraham actor Michael Cudlitz had some choice words recently for the show and its lead protagonist, Rick Grimes. Speaking at the Atlanta Walker Stalker Con, Cudlitz laid down some hard truths:
Lets be real clear, if he was gonna kill anyone other than me and I had a choice, it would be Rick. Because how many more people was that ahole gonna get killed? Cudlitz said, according to ComicBook.com.And while the audience was apparently shocked by this statement, he's not wrong. Rick led his people into one disaster after another. This started long before the disastrous Negan storyline, but Rick reached new heights of recklessness and stupidity as the show's writing quality plummeted.
The Walking DeadCredit: AMC
Hey, I got a plan, lets show up to where all the Saviors are with 500 weapons, have them step 15 feet out into the balcony unarmed, and shoot the windows out above his head. You all know that sucked [...] It was like the A-Team showed up."
Apparently at this point the actor started "miming stray firing before imitating the showy Savior leader."
Cudlitz again, mocking the terribleness of this scene which, if Rick had simply shot Negan when he first swaggered out the door, would have put a blessed end to this whole nonsensical plot:
Hes right there! Hes right there! He walks out the door. Its not even like he peeks out. Hes like Well, Rick! Ha ha ha! We better run!
This is all too hilarious to me, as it really brings me back to my own review of that episode:
Earlier, in Rick's speech, he made clear that only one Savior had to die: Negan. (They go and kill several lookouts right after that speech, so it's more like "only five people have to die" but who's counting?) And who should walk out onto his doorstep in plain view of all these heavily armed rebels? Who gives them all the perfect chance to take him out then and there? Who swaggers like he's the king of all he sees, never once worried that maybe Rick had given orders to shoothim on sight?
If you guessed Negan, you win.The Big Badwalks right out there like he hasn't got a care in the world. He's soon followed by his lieutenants, including the coward, Eugene, and the traitor, Dwight. It turns out, he had nothing to be afraid of. Despite being heavily armed, despite having multiple weapons with scopes and a clear shot, despite coming to do this very thing, nobody opens fire on Negan. Why?
This is one of those incredibly frustrating moments that have come more and more to defineThe Walking Dead.Because there's really no good explanation as to why nobody shoots Negan the moment he showed his smug face. There's no reason one of the dozens of rebels couldn't have popped him at such close range.
I should point out that Rick also had snipers that expertly took out the Savior lookouts just before all this (so more like 7 or 8 people had to die, just none of them ended up being Negan because Rick eventually spared him out of mercy moments after murdering other Saviors who had helped him.)
In any case, it's quite hilarious to see Cudlitz lay into the show with such naked honesty. Season 8 was just so horrendously awful it very nearly killed the show entirely. For instance, that Season 8 premiere review I linked to up above? That got 424,000 views. My Season 7 premiere review got over 700,000 views. Fast forward to my Season 9 premiere review? 125,000 views, and a steady drop in views ever since.
This isn't just people not watching the show the night of, it's people running for the hills. And it's come to this because nobody at AMC had the nerve to step in and save the show from its incredible mismanagement, terrible writing and lousy direction. I'm not sure where all the blame should sit, and I'm sure fingers could point in many directions, but it's still baffling just how bad it got, and how much better it's gotten thanks to Angela Kang's new leadership.
Another actor present at the convention was Josh McDermitt who plays Eugene and who, as insane as this sounds, probably had the most interesting arc in Season 8, mostly demurred: I disagree, only because Im still on the show and like my job, he said.
Perhaps the most important quote from Cudlitz, or at least the one that speaks to me the most, is this:Its like one of those things where youre so into something and then youre like, really, guys? Cudlitz said. I get pissed off because I love it.
I've received so much anger and hate fromThe Walking Deadfans who said that I was trying to ruin their beloved show, when the whole time I was the one raising the red flags, saying "Really guys?"because I am a fan.I am a critic, yes, and it's my job to point out when a show goes astray like this. I feel like finally in Season 9, many of my criticisms of the show have finally been heard and we've seen a remarkable uptick in quality. That's fantastic! (Though now I'm being accused of having turned into a shill or, worse, a taking bribes to say nice things about the show because that's the sad truth about fandom. If you say something critical you're a monster and if you say something nice you're a patsy. Oy vey.)
In any case, bravo to Michael Cudlitz for speaking out. I still wish he'd been the choice for theFear The Walking Deadcrossover, but I think he dodged a bullet there. Or a bat, as the case may be.
As a side note, I think Rick getting killed at the beginning of Season 7 would have been an amazing creative decision and would have, potentially, made for a much more interesting story arc for all involved. Oh well.
- The Walking Dead Originally Had Maggie Kill Negan In The Comics - Screen Rant - July 5th, 2020
- The Walking Dead creator says Negan survived in the comics due to artist's decision - digitalspy.com - July 5th, 2020
- Review: Colman Domingo stars in The Twilight Zone Downtime - Undead Walking - July 5th, 2020
- The Walking Dead almost gave Jesus a boyfriend - Winter is Coming - July 4th, 2020
- The Walking Deads Michael Rooker Says AMC Didnt Know What To Do With Merle - We Got This Covered - July 4th, 2020
- Review: Negan Lives #1 closes a door and opens a new one - Undead Walking - July 4th, 2020
- Jeffrey Dean Morgans Walking Dead may join Season 3 of The Boys - Andover Leader - July 4th, 2020
- Robert Kirkman explains why he spared Negan's life in 'The Walking Dead' comics - SYFY WIRE - July 3rd, 2020
- The Real Reason Why Daryl Rides A Motorcycle On 'The Walking Dead' - UPROXX - July 3rd, 2020
- The Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan might be joining The Boys - Digital Spy - July 3rd, 2020
- 10 Characters The Walking Dead Killed Off At The Wrong Time - WhatCulture - July 3rd, 2020
- The Walking Dead almost gave Jesus a boyfriend - News Lagoon - News Lagoon - July 3rd, 2020
- The Society Season 2: Cambell found out that Elle tried to kill ... - Next Alerts - July 3rd, 2020
- Robert Kirkman: Maggie almost killed Negan in 'The Walking Dead' comic - Insider - INSIDER - July 2nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead: How and When T-Dog Died | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 2nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead cast member teases Jesus' season 9 boyfriend - Digital Spy - July 2nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead director explains why Carl and Negan scene couldnt happen - NME - July 2nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead actor thinks Governor would wipe the floor with Negan and Alpha - NME - July 2nd, 2020
- Here's Why Maggie Did Not Kill Negan On 'The Walking Dead' - UPROXX - July 2nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Carl Grimes star admits it was 'hard to leave' after on screen death - Express - July 2nd, 2020
- 10 Times The Walking Dead Went Too Far - WhatCulture - July 2nd, 2020
- Every Walking Dead Actor In Robot Chickens TWD Special - Screen Rant - July 2nd, 2020
- Why showing LGBTQIA couples in The Walking Dead matters - Undead Walking - July 2nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead Director Reveals Carl and Negan Scene Toned Down for TV - ComicBook.com - July 2nd, 2020
- Walking Dead : How and When T-Dog Died Full explained! - Finance Rewind - July 2nd, 2020
- The Walking Dead Season 10: Release date, cast, plot and All We Know! - Auto Freak - July 2nd, 2020
- Russo Bros wary of returning to theatres amid COVID-19 - Business Insider India - July 2nd, 2020
- Yen Press Announces Six New Upcoming Titles - Bleeding Cool News - July 2nd, 2020
- How Bill Schanes Inspired The Return Of Negan in The Walking Dead - Bleeding Cool News - July 1st, 2020
- The Walking Dead director shares Negan and Carl scene that didn't happen - digitalspy.com - July 1st, 2020
- Where's Heath? Why Corey Hawkins Really Left The Walking Dead - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- Things you never noticed in The Walking Dead's pilot - Looper - July 1st, 2020
- Former Walking Dead Star Thinks the Governor Could 'Wipe the Floor' with Negan and Alpha - TVweb - July 1st, 2020
- The Walking Deads Michael Rooker Says AMC Didnt Know "What to Do" With Merle Dixon - ComicBook.com - July 1st, 2020
- How The Walking Dead universe can improve LGBTQIA representation - Undead Walking - July 1st, 2020
- The Walking Dead 512: Remember when Remember promised a new start? - Undead Walking - July 1st, 2020
- The Walking Dead Season 10: The Final Will Release On [Spoiler] - NationEditions - July 1st, 2020
- Heres our list of best friends and foes from the walking deads previous and present season. - Andover Leader - July 1st, 2020
- LGBTQIA representation in The Walking Dead universe - Undead Walking - July 1st, 2020
- The Walking Dead star blasts bisexual stereotypes and being forced to constantly come out - The Sun - July 1st, 2020
- What does the deleted or cut scenes from 'The Walking Dead Season 9' reveals? - DroidJournal - July 1st, 2020
- Costco Is Still Selling Caged Eggs in Asia and Steve Aoki and 'The Walking Dead's' Eleanor Matsuura Are Asking Them to Stop - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 1st, 2020
- Are Seasons 1-2 of NOS4A2 on Netflix? - What's on Netflix - July 1st, 2020
- Comic-Con @ Home: Your Guide to the TV-Related Streaming Panels - TVLine - July 1st, 2020
- Steams Summer Sale Includes Discounts on Half-Life: Alyx, The Walking Dead, Superhot VR & Many More - VRFocus - July 1st, 2020
- NYU prof: 'Hundreds, if not thousands' of universities will soon be 'walking dead' - Campus Reform - July 1st, 2020
- Friday Night In with the Morgans June 26 live stream: How to watch - Undead Walking - July 1st, 2020
- The Walking Dead season 10 return date: when to expect the ... - June 24th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Why Shane Really Died In Season 2 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Skybounds cheeky Fathers Day tribute to The Walking Dead - Undead Walking - June 24th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners Will be Adding their First Update Next Month - mxdwn.com - June 24th, 2020
- Happy birthday to The Walking Dead star Ryan Hurst - Undead Walking - June 24th, 2020
- Comic-Con@Home: AMC Sets Panels For The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead, The Walking Dead: World Beyond And NOS4A2 - Deadline - June 23rd, 2020
- Every Walking Dead Character Who Crossed Over to Fear TWD - Screen Rant - June 23rd, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 5 Theories We Love (& 5 We Hope Arent True) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - June 23rd, 2020
- Why Walking Dead Killed Andrea In Season 3 (& What The Original Plan Was) - Screen Rant - June 23rd, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 8 Things You Need To Know About Princess - Screen Rant - June 23rd, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 10 Different Nicknames For The Zombies (& Where They Came From) - Screen Rant - June 23rd, 2020
- Walking Dead and Game of Thrones inspired Netflix's Kipo - Digital Spy - June 23rd, 2020
- SDCC@Home: A Full List of the TV Panels at the 2020 Virtual Event - TVInsider - June 23rd, 2020
- Heads Will Roll in The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners The Meatgrinder Update - PlayStation LifeStyle - June 23rd, 2020
- From the Walking Dead to walking tall: An encouraging afternoon with Sheffield Wednesday - The Star - June 23rd, 2020
- Lennie James: Save Me star on recognising 'ignored and overlooked heroes' - Sky News - June 23rd, 2020
- 'Walking Dead': Negan Lives, Explained - Hollywood Reporter - June 18th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Creator Reveals What Caused the Zombie ... - June 18th, 2020
- Why The Walking Dead Started To Lose Viewers After Season 5 - Screen Rant - June 18th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Fan Spots Season 7 Easter Egg Foreshadowing Rick Grimes Fate - We Got This Covered - June 18th, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: 'The Walking Dead' Star Dan Fogler Discusses 'Brooklyn Gladiator,' 'Fantastic Beasts,' and More! - Nerds and Beyond - June 18th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon, the most unlikely father figure - Undead Walking - June 18th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead Onslaught' (ALL) Entered Final Stages Of Development - Trailer - WorthPlaying.com - June 18th, 2020
- Walking Dead: Why T-Dog Died In Season 3 Instead Of Carol - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Norman Reedus Has An Update On The Walking Dead: Onslaught - UploadVR - June 17th, 2020
- 12 Small Details You Only Notice Rewatching The Walking Dead - WhatCulture - June 17th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 15 Most Shocking Moments - WhatCulture - June 17th, 2020
- Park Shin Hye reveals she watched The Walking Dead for #ALIVE; Yoo Ah In on releasing movie amid Coronavirus - PINKVILLA - June 17th, 2020
- Remote Working: Jessica Sundell on her journey from Angry Birds to The Walking Dead to Hatch Kids - Pocket Gamer.Biz - June 17th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Star Nearly Played a Different Character Years Before Joining the Show - ComicBook.com - June 14th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: What CRM Really Means | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 14th, 2020
- Skydance Interactive Promotes Chris Busse After The Walking Dead VR Success - UploadVR - June 14th, 2020
- 10 Things We Love About The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners PSVR - COGconnected - June 14th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero