All products and services featured by IndieWire are independently selected by IndieWire editors. However, IndieWire may receive a commission on orders placed through its retail links, and the retailer may receive certain auditable data for accounting purposes.
You dont have to wait until Halloween to catch up on your favorite zombie content. From The Walking Dead toArmy of the Dead, and even the popular Resident Evil gaming franchise, zombies are huge right now, and were not just talking about popular movies and TV shows.
The Center for Disease Control created an online campaign to make sure that youre prepared in the event of a zombie apocalypse (as if a global pandemic wasnt scary enough). Elsewhere on the internet, anti-vaxxers have been using films like I Am Legend (which you can stream on HBO Max) to spread false conspiracy theories about the covid vaccine.
And fun fact: the term zombie was born from Haitian folklore, but Hollywood has turned the seemingly scary concept into a bankable genre feeding our fascinations with gory depictions of the undead. But Netflix isnt the only destination to binge your favorite zombie movies on demand. You can watch them, and thousands of other films and TV shows, on HBO Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime.
If youre not already subscribed to one of the aforementioned platforms, heres a quick breakdown: With plans starting at $9.99 a month, HBO Max lets you access tens of thousands of films and movies as well as exclusive releases, including a slate of Warner Bros. films that will debut in theaters and stream simultaneously on HBO Max for the first month after release. Amazon Prime is $12.99 a month ($1.99 for the first week) for access to the massive Prime Video library, and free two-day shipping on select items. Hulu is currently offering a free trial for new customers, and subscriptions start at $5.99 a month for ad-free streaming or $59.99 a year (you can also add HBO Max to your Hulu subscription). The streaming platform offers ad-free streaming options starting at $11.99 a month.
But back to zombies. For those interested in the gory, spooky, and sometimes funny stories on mindless flesh-eaters, we put together a list of the best zombie movies now streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime. And be sure to check out these yummy snack boxes for a perfect movie night. See below for 10 zombie flicks to stream right now.
Brad Pitt stars in this post-apocalyptic zombie thriller directed by Marc Forster. The plot begins with a former United Nations employee, Gerry Lane (Pitt), and his family getting caught in a New York City traffic jam that turns out to be more than your average gridlock. Lane heads on a global trek in an effort to stop the zombie pandemic threatening to end humanity. Despite the original raking in over $500 million at the box office, the sequel for World War Z was eventually shelved. You can stream World War Z on Amazon Prime. You can also catch it on Paramount+.
Everett Collection / Everett Collection
Train to Busan is set to receive an American remake, but theres nothing like the original. Most of the 2016 South Korean action thriller from Yeon Sang-ho goes down on a train, which somehow makes the story that much spookier. Starring Gong Yoo Jung, Jung Yu-mi, and Ma Dong-seok, Train to Busan follows a zombie apocalypse that breaks out after a chemical leak at a biotech plant. You can rent or buy Train to Busan on Amazon Prime.
20th Century Fox/Everett Collection
A list of best zombie movies doesnt feel complete without 28 Days Later. Released in 2003, this Danny Boyle horror drama still terrifies fans nearly two decades later. Like any good zombie plot, 28 Days Later unfolds in a post-apocalyptic setting thats ripe with gore and suspense. The story centers around a small group of survivors seeking refuge while an incurable virus spreads through London. Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Noah Huntley, Brendan Gleeson, and Megan Burns, are among the cast. You can stream 28 Days Later on Hulu and Amazon Prime.
Directed by Colm McCarthy, this 2016 sci-fi horror film centers around a gifted little girl named Melanie (Sennia Nanua) and a small group of survivors of a parasitic fungal infection that turned most of humanity into flesh-eating zombies (a.k.a hungries). The survival of humanity hinges on a small group of half-zombie, half-human children. The Girl With All the Gifts is based on a 2013 short story and features Glenn Close, Fisayo Akinade, Dominique Tipper, Paddy Considine, and Gemma Arterton. The Girl With All the Gifts is streaming on Hulu and Amazon Prime.
Rogue Pictures/Everett Collection
Written and directed by Edgar White, Shaun of the Dead is the lighthearted zombie comedy that amassed a cult following. The films protagonist Sean (Simon Pegg) works a dead-end job while his relationship is on life-support mainly because his girlfriend wants him to grow up and do something more productive with his life. Little does everyone know, an impending zombie apocalypse descends on London, which could give Sean a chance to finally prove himself. Shaun of the Dead is streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime.
After more than 50 years, Night of the Living Dead remains one of the most influential zombie films in movie history, and certainly the most successful of its time. The 1968 indie horror flick, directed by George A. Romero, is considered pivotal to the development of the zombie horror film genre that we know today. The classic, which stars Judith ODea, Duane Jones, Marilyn Eastman, Karl Hardman, Judith Ridley, and Keith Wayne, spawned an entire film franchise that includes Day of the Dead and Diary of the Dead. You can stream Night of the Living Dead on HBO Max, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.
United Film Distribution/Everett Collection
Speaking of its predecessor, this 1985 film was the third installment in Romeros Night of the Living Dead series. The plot takes the franchise into the Day of the Dead, a pretty dark day considering that zombies outnumber human 400,000 to one. The plot centers around a group of post-apocalyptic survivors hunkering down at a shelter while battling to save whats left of the human race. Day of the Dead has been remade a couple times over, but you can catch the original on HBO Max.
Columbia Pictures/Relativity Media
Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin star in the 2009 comedy Zombieland. The film is about four people in a battle for survival after a global virus turns just about everybody into a zombie. Eisenberg plays Columbus, a shy and lonely college student hoping to get to his family in Ohio to make sure theyre safe, and hopefully alive. Along the way, he meets the gun-toting Tallahassee (Harrelson), whos on a mission to find the last Twinkie. Meanwhile, Stone and Breslin play sisters Little Rock and Wichita who end up conning the guys. Zombieland is streaming on Amazon Prime.
Zack Snyders Dawn of the Dead is about a gaggle of Milwaukee residents who seek refuge in a local mall as a swarm of zombies close in on them. Sarah Polley stars as Anna, a nurse whose husband gets attacked by their young zombie neighbor. Naturally, Anna has to get away from her husband, and any other zombiefied beings around town, but shes not the only one looking for a safe hiding place. The cast of Dawn of the Dead includes Ving Rhames, Jake Weber, Mekhi Phifer, and Tyler Bates. You rent the 2004 movie on Amazon Prime.
If youre in the mood for an 80s zombie film, try out Night of the Comet. After a comet triggers a zombie apocalypse that wipes out a large portion of the population, teenage sisters Regina (Catherine Mary Stewart), and Samantha (Kelli Maroney) team up with fellow survivors on an end-of-the-world adventure that finds them trying to avoid zombies, but also the doctors who want to use them as human test dummies for a potential antidote. Night of the Comet is available for rent on Amazon Prime.
Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.
Read the original here:
Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire
- All time best end-of-the-world movies to watch in 2022 - Digital Boom - January 23rd, 2022
- 2022s big TV and movie anniversaries - Polygon - January 9th, 2022
- The George Romero-Helmed Stephen King Adaptation We'll Never Get To See - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- The 15 Best Sci-Fi Movies Of 2021 Ranked - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- Google Has Revealed All the Movies and TV Shows We've Been Searching for in 2021 - Concrete Playground - December 14th, 2021
- How Shaun of the Dead Got a Boost From Hollywood and Comic-Con Geeks - Gizmodo - November 29th, 2021
- A Kickass Zombie Movie Is Back From The Dead To Terrorize Netflix - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Fans Go Wild As Shang-Chi Arrives On Disney Plus - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Day of the Dead interview with star Christopher Russell - 1428 Elm - October 20th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
- Best new movies coming out in 2021: On streaming and (hopefully) in theaters - syracuse.com - January 9th, 2021
- Xbox Live Games with Gold titles for January 2021 revealed - Shacknews - January 9th, 2021
- 2021: Very insightful industry predictions - Property Industry Eye - January 3rd, 2021
- Best Horror Movies of 2020 - Sprout Wired - December 31st, 2020
- The top 10 films of 2020 - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2020
- The 10 Best Horror Games of 2020 | Game Rant - GameRant - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Games that Helped Me Stay In Touch With My Friends During 2020s Lockdown - IGN India - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020
- Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch - PINKVILLA - December 19th, 2020
- What vets can learn from It's a Wonderful Life - We Are The Mighty - December 19th, 2020
- The Best TV Shows of 2020 - Pajiba Entertainment News - December 19th, 2020
- The 10 best games of 2020: In a pandemic, play was critical - Los Angeles Times - December 12th, 2020
- Emerge from the slog of 2020 and into the promise of tomorrow with these films - Kansas City Pitch - December 11th, 2020
- Research: Millions of smart devices vulnerable to hacking - The Associated Press - December 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Will audiences return to the movies? They already have, IMAX CEO says - CNBC - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Great Recent Horror Movies from 2020 You Might Have Missed - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- Want to see something really scary? - Dothan Eagle - November 16th, 2020
- Ranking the Friday the 13th Movies | 411MANIA - 411mania.com - November 16th, 2020
- PlayStation 2: 10 Cancelled Games We Wanted To See | Game Rant - GameRant - November 16th, 2020
- Why are there no James Bond games? - GamesIndustry.biz - November 12th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' Showrunner Matt Negrete on Expanding the 'Walking Dead' Universe - Collider.com - November 9th, 2020
- Kevin Love invests in first mental health gym initiative - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Chiefs trade RB DeAndre Washington to Dolphins - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- The 'QBs with the most NFL starts' quiz - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Bengals unlikely to trade receiver John Ross before deadline - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Rockets expected to rebuff trade interest in James Harden - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero