Bateman's 2019 tape really showcases his athleticism and what he's capable of in terms of winning down the field as well as after the catch. Displaying the ability to create significant separation, Bateman was able to cash in a number of easy plays. Part of that was due to the fact the Gophers had two outstanding receivers, but being able to use his full athletic capability was critical as well.
Bateman is able to stretch the field, which is important for what the Browns want from the position. They are intent on getting faster. He's also able to be a threat to create yards after the catch, which would be a nice balance with Odell Beckham, who offers that same package. Much like Beckham, Bateman is a threat catching a pass on a drag route after the catch, then coming back the next play and beating the defense over the top.
The combination of the two could help the Browns create better spacing on the offense overall, which is something the offense struggled with in 2020, especially after Beckham's injury.
Bateman's ability to play both on the boundary and in the slot, having done a ton of both for Minnesota, is valuable as it shows the Browns he's able to play and excel anywhere on the field, allowing them to create matchup advantages and put him in position to succeed.
His long arms and the use of his body really stand out on tape. There are plays where he reaches out near the sideline and snatches passes that looked headed out of bounds. Bateman is also able to square up his body on passes that ask him to go vertical, boxing out the opponent from the play, enabling him to make the catch.
With the ball in his hands, he's a big fan of a quick side step to make a man miss before gaining yardage. He's got pretty good balance to absorb and bounce of of contact while staying on his feet to gain more yardage, which is part of why it was believable that he was over 200 pounds. Bateman is not afraid to initiate contact. Combining that with how shifty he can be, it keeps opponents guessing.
What really stands out with Bateman are his feet. He does a great job setting up his feet for success when he catches passes. When he catches the ball near the sideline, he can make sure he gets his feet down, but it's more impressive when he knows he's in the field of play.
Eerily similar to Keenan Allen coming out of Cal, Bateman will catch a pass while landing where his feet can allow him to completely change the flow of the play. Catching a short pass coming back to the ball with the defense flowing hard at him, he will land with his feet giving him the option to reverse field and maximize his yardage after the catch. He's taking advantage of what defenders are taught to do when it comes to pursuit angles.
His tape in 2020 can give the impression that Bateman is an average athlete, not unlike Tyler Johnson was for the Gophers. However, the compromised athleticism may have forced Bateman to be more focused on improving his technique and savvy as a route runner, which could prove beneficial for his NFL career. He still accounted for 472 receiving yards in the five games he played, 45.6 percent of the team's receiving yards.
Bateman has a number of techniques at his disposal to create separation. He's great at using a stab move, in an attempt to get the corner to open their hips and then cross them up. What's better is Bateman isn't satisfied with just getting the opponent off balance. He will often then set up another crisp cut to get where he really wants to go and remove the defender from the play completely.
Bateman has a good understanding that he's playing the man as opposed to the route. Knowing where he needs to go ultimately, he is creative, willing to improvise his path to reach his final destination to potentially confuse the defender by giving them a false key, improving his separation and giving him a better angle to attack the ball.
For all of the talent and polish Bateman has, he will drop some passes. In 2020, all of them came on crossing routes in close quarters. He makes plenty of plays on crossing routes, but perhaps there's a bit of claustrophobia that sets in and impacts his concentration.
He's also not a great blocker. Bateman loves to run off opponents, but when he does block, he typically just slams into opponents. Rarely sustaining, fighting for proper position, if the Browns were to draft him, that will be something they want to correct.
If the Browns were to make Bateman their selection, it once again shows they are always focused on maximizing talent rather than chasing after needs through the NFL Draft. It also begs the question what happens next in that room. Maybe the Browns are perfectly content to just add him and let everyone compete while having a ton of depth at the position, able to go six players deep with Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones and likely KhaDarel Hodge.
The potential problem is that players like Higgins and Jones likely become the fourth and fifth receiver respectively. Keep in mind that the Browns prioritized speed in that third receiver spot in 2020 and Bateman offers more of it than Higgins, should be simply better than Jones initially.
It would simply be human nature for that to be incredibly discouraging to both of those players. Players the Browns do appear to value for their future. With Bateman in the mix, do the Browns then decide to take a similar approach they did after acquiring Jadeveon Clowney to then release Sheldon Richardson?
They could create a significant amount of cap space just as Richardson did which they could rollover into 2022 to help them sign players like Wyatt Teller and Nick Chubb. The other option is they could use that money elsewhere, perhaps in a trade for a veteran corner.
When it comes to the possibility of adding a receiver like Bateman in the first round, that's the immediate issue. A tremendous value, arguably getting top 10 to 15 player in the class and giving the Browns offense a potential game changer, it doesn't address the holes on the team they need to fill on their defense, nor does it provide a real clue for how they get there. Getting Bateman and then potentially making a move for a proven veteran could be their path to add the most talent possible.
It's easy to see why the Browns would love what they see in Bateman and how he could easily fit into this offense. He looks like he could pair really well with Beckham and his ability to line up anywhere is attractive given the Browns use of tight ends and Kevin Stefanski's ability to manipulate and create spacing.
It would add more of a vertical element, something the Browns desperately need to do to maximize their offense as well as Baker Mayfield while also putting more pressure on AFC defenses for how they will stop the Browns receiving passing game with Nick Chubb ready to capitalize on fewer defenders focused on stopping him.
See the rest here:
If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker
- Day of the Dead interview with star Christopher Russell - 1428 Elm - October 20th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
- Best new movies coming out in 2021: On streaming and (hopefully) in theaters - syracuse.com - January 9th, 2021
- Xbox Live Games with Gold titles for January 2021 revealed - Shacknews - January 9th, 2021
- 2021: Very insightful industry predictions - Property Industry Eye - January 3rd, 2021
- Best Horror Movies of 2020 - Sprout Wired - December 31st, 2020
- The top 10 films of 2020 - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2020
- The 10 Best Horror Games of 2020 | Game Rant - GameRant - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Games that Helped Me Stay In Touch With My Friends During 2020s Lockdown - IGN India - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020
- Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch - PINKVILLA - December 19th, 2020
- What vets can learn from It's a Wonderful Life - We Are The Mighty - December 19th, 2020
- The Best TV Shows of 2020 - Pajiba Entertainment News - December 19th, 2020
- The 10 best games of 2020: In a pandemic, play was critical - Los Angeles Times - December 12th, 2020
- Emerge from the slog of 2020 and into the promise of tomorrow with these films - Kansas City Pitch - December 11th, 2020
- Research: Millions of smart devices vulnerable to hacking - The Associated Press - December 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Will audiences return to the movies? They already have, IMAX CEO says - CNBC - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Great Recent Horror Movies from 2020 You Might Have Missed - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- Want to see something really scary? - Dothan Eagle - November 16th, 2020
- Ranking the Friday the 13th Movies | 411MANIA - 411mania.com - November 16th, 2020
- PlayStation 2: 10 Cancelled Games We Wanted To See | Game Rant - GameRant - November 16th, 2020
- Why are there no James Bond games? - GamesIndustry.biz - November 12th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' Showrunner Matt Negrete on Expanding the 'Walking Dead' Universe - Collider.com - November 9th, 2020
- Kevin Love invests in first mental health gym initiative - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Chiefs trade RB DeAndre Washington to Dolphins - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- The 'QBs with the most NFL starts' quiz - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Bengals unlikely to trade receiver John Ross before deadline - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Rockets expected to rebuff trade interest in James Harden - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Seven players the Mets should target in free agency - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Orioles GM: ownership is not selling the team - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- 10 underrated horror movies to watch on Halloween - The Indian Express - November 1st, 2020
- Brendan Gallagher Means Everything to the Canadiens - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Seattle Kraken will wait to name head coach - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Elton Brand, Sixers agree to multiyear extension - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Seahawks were interested in trading for Aldon Smith - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Sam Hinkie has no intention of ever returning to NBA - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero