Today the Braves will enjoy its second off day this week, a nice reward following a recent onslaught of injuries and what wound up being a series draw at Yankee Stadium as Atlanta defeated New York 4-1 on Wednesday. The latest win wasnt exactly pretty: starter Ian Anderson walked four batters in his outing, and the Braves offense combined for just four hits overall, including only one XBH on the night a solo-home run by Austin Riley, his first of the year.
This 2021 Braves team still doesnt feel like its found a rhythm, and it doesnt help when two important hitters in the lineup have yet to find any type of consistent groove. Entering Wednesday, second baseman Ozzie Albies and shortstop Dansby Swanson had combined for just a 64 wRC+ this season leaving Atlantas lineup consistently punchless at the plate, especially with the rest of the offenses struggles.
Both Albies and Swanson rank within the top 10 at their respective positions in terms of the qualityof their contact, but results-wise, each has performed well below league-average.
Among all MLB second baseman, Albies is tied for seventh in HardHit% (40%) and ranks sixth in xwOBA (.381), but those hard-hit balls obviously are not finding gaps, allowing him just a .148 AVG thus far; per Statcast, when accounting for his exit-velocity and launch-angle, Ozzie should be hitting a solid .302 this season, along with nearly a .500 SLG%.
Its the same situation with Swanson as well, who ranks seventh among all shortstops in xwOBA (.355) and fifth in HardHit% (47.6%). Dansbys case seems even more dramatic, given hes hitting line drives at a 26.2% clip, which, entering Wednesday, was the fifth-best rate by players from his position, not to mention the highest rate of Dansbys career.
The obviousness of Albies and Swansons bad luck this season is even more apparent when looking at the actual player leaderboards on FanGraphs.
In Albies case, take a player like Yankees second baseman DJ LeMahieu, and compare their stats thus far in 2021
Albies: 4.4 Barrel%, 40 HardHit%, .381 xwOBA
LeMahieu: 4.3 Barrel%, 38.3 HardHit%, .369 xwOBA
As far as balls put in play, these are two players hitting the ball at an almost identical level of quality, with Albies actually hitting slightly better.
Now, look at the same two players actual results-based numbers
Albies: .148/.262/.333, 64 wRC+, -0.2 fWAR
LeMahieu: .300/.382/.417, 133 wRC+, 0.4 fWAR
Wow. As you can see, Albies may be hitting the ball a bit harder and squaring up pitches a tad more often, but because of what happens after those balls are hit an aspect of hitting a batter obviously has very little control over his numbers are way short of what LeMahieus are. Albies has been extraordinarily unlucky while LeMahieu has not.
As mentioned earlier, poor Swanson has had an even worse run of bad fortune compared to his colleagues playing the same position. Look at a player like Miamis Miguel Rojas, who, on paper, is one of the top guys at shortstop this season.
But look how much better Swanson has been in terms of contact
Swanson: 9.5 Barrel%, 47.6 HardHit%, .355 xwOBA
Rojas: 2.0 Barrel%, 29.4 HardHit%, .332 xwOBA
I mean, looking at those three metrics, which player would you rather have at the plate? Swanson is head and shoulders above Rojas. However, like Albies, Dansbys ability to square up nearly half the balls he has put in play in 2021 isnt translating to the stat sheet. And as a result, Swanson and Rojas have had very different seasons so far
Swanson: .190/.282/.302, 65 wRC+, 0.1 fWAR
Rojas: .327/.403/.455, 142 wRC+, 0.7 fWAR
Swansons expected AVG sits at .256, to go along with an expected SLG% of .492, but again, the actual results on the field are nowhere close.
But as the title of this post indicates, early-season stats are simply misleading as there arent enough inputs to allow the actual outputs to settle down. We all already know this. The term SSS (small-sample-size) has been a popular part of baseball for as long as people began keeping up with stats, especially in recent years as stats have continued to become more advanced and do a much better job of being predictive.
The Braves have played a whopping 18 games in 2021, and Im as guilty as anyone when it comes to getting all worked up about Atlantas performance at this point in the season. Still, we must remember that all of this the good AND bad numbers is just noise and will eventually begin to even out. Numbers that look incredibly unsustainable right now should evolve into something closer to what the predictive-based metrics are showing. Just like the fact that Ronald Acuna Jr. probably wont continue to hit .400 this season, Albies and Swanson most likely wont maintain a sub-.200 AVG.
The Braves two middle-infielders arent broken. If anything, the duo is actually hitting the ball better than they ever have right now its just not showing up on the stat sheet, or more specifically, the stat sheet that illustrates actual results. Give it enough time, though, and I bet you they will.
- South Korean Movies That Have Left Global Audience Asking For More - Outlook India - September 16th, 2022
- Rob Zombie - IMDb - August 31st, 2022
- Sci-Fi Movies That Made The Cast Do Gross Things - /Film - August 31st, 2022
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Blond Models - ReelRundown - August 31st, 2022
- The Keymaster And The Gatekeeper 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - August 31st, 2022
- Carter and the best Asian martial arts movies on the Internet right now - Entertainment News , Firstpost - Firstpost - August 22nd, 2022
- [Top 25] Best Zombie Games for PC | GAMERS DECIDE - August 14th, 2022
- [Top 5] Minecraft Zombie Apocalypse Mods That Are Awesome - August 14th, 2022
- New Netflix Zombie Movie Debuts on Top 10 List - Horror - August 14th, 2022
- Ten Different Ways to Start a Zombie Apocalypse Story or Novel - August 14th, 2022
- 'The Gray Man' Has Massive Debut on Netflix - ScreenCrush - July 28th, 2022
- 50 Most Memorable Danny Glover Movies Ranked Worst To Best - Looper - June 14th, 2022
- 5 best movies and shows on Prime Video this weekend: The Boys - Amazon Adviser - June 5th, 2022
- Poll: What's the Best Korn Album? - Vote Now - Loudwire - June 5th, 2022
- Stories of the subcontinent: Films from India, Pakistan, Nepal illuminate 75th anniversary line-up of Cannes Film Festival - The Financial Express - May 17th, 2022
- Selling Sunset's Christine Quinn Has Officially Exited The Oppenheim Group, But Is That A Good Thing? - msnNOW - May 4th, 2022
- Ten Movies That Were Saved by Their Ending - 25YearsLaterSite.com - April 8th, 2022
- Top 10 movies from 2021 that take your breath away! - Financial World - April 8th, 2022
- 15 Years Ago: The Failure of 'Grindhouse' Heralds a New Era - Ultimate Classic Rock - April 8th, 2022
- Lzzy Hale + Katie Daryl Return for New Seasons of AXS' 'A Year in Music' + 'Top Ten Revealed' - Loudwire - April 8th, 2022
- Crack At it Again - Brewster Suspect Arrested in Danbury, Again - i95rock.com - April 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Base Building Games (Build, Defend, Survive ... - March 27th, 2022
- Top 10 Reasons the Zombie Apocalypse Could Really Happen ... - March 27th, 2022
- HORROR TEN SPOT: Top 10 Asses - March 27th, 2022
- 60 Best Zombie Movies of All Time | Stacker - March 27th, 2022
- All time best end-of-the-world movies to watch in 2022 - Digital Boom - January 23rd, 2022
- 2022s big TV and movie anniversaries - Polygon - January 9th, 2022
- The George Romero-Helmed Stephen King Adaptation We'll Never Get To See - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- The 15 Best Sci-Fi Movies Of 2021 Ranked - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- Google Has Revealed All the Movies and TV Shows We've Been Searching for in 2021 - Concrete Playground - December 14th, 2021
- How Shaun of the Dead Got a Boost From Hollywood and Comic-Con Geeks - Gizmodo - November 29th, 2021
- A Kickass Zombie Movie Is Back From The Dead To Terrorize Netflix - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Fans Go Wild As Shang-Chi Arrives On Disney Plus - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Day of the Dead interview with star Christopher Russell - 1428 Elm - October 20th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
- Best new movies coming out in 2021: On streaming and (hopefully) in theaters - syracuse.com - January 9th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero