Korean films are attracting much attention from the global film industry. Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should definitely watch.
2020 was an incredible year for Korean entertainment as the Hallyu wave reached corners of the globe never thought imaginable. K-Pop or Korean pop broke records on global platforms and one of the biggest K-Pop groups in the world, BTS, bagged a Grammy nomination in a major musical category. Even in a terrible pandemic, the Korean film industry continued working and churning out hits in full swing.
Due to South Koreas incomparable COVID management, even box office collections could resume successfully. Internationally, with the help of OTT platforms, Korean films saw a whole new rise in popularity. If youre yet to catch on with the wave, fret not for Pinkvilla has just the perfect list for you! From thrillers to romances to horror and comedy, weve got it all covered. If youre looking for some of the best Korean films of 2020 for a holiday binge, look no further.
Directed by Woo Min Ho, this award-winning political thriller stars top Hallyu stars Lee Byung-hun, Lee Sung-min, Kwak Do-won, and Lee Hee-joon as high-ranking government officials working for the Korean Central Intelligence Agency. The narrative is set during the Presidency of Park Chung Hee, precisely 40 days before his assassination in 1979. Rife with political intrigue, power play and the rawness of human instincts, this film is a must-watch!
Written and directed by Hong Won-Chan and starring Hwang Jung-min, Lee Jung-jae and Park Jung-min, Deliver Us from Evil was one of the highest-grossing films of the year. The predominant genre of the film is action and the story follows a hitman, In Nam, who has decided upon retiring after undertaking one last hit. However, everything that can go wrong, goes wrong as In Nam finds himself inexplicably linked to a kidnapping case while hes being targeted for the killing of a Japanese mobster. This film will keep you at the edge of your seat until the very end!
The much-awaited sequel to the mega-hit Train to Busan is also another masterpiece. After the Korean peninsula has been completely ravaged by zombies, a soldier is sent along with his team to retrieve a truck full of money (about 20 million USD) from the wasteland. Actor Gang Dong Won leads this standalone sequel, powerful and intense in its own right.
Action and comedy are two of the most popular film genres. This film is a brilliant concoction of the two! Starring an incredible cast including Kwon Sang-woo, Jung Joon-ho, Hwang Woo-seul-hye, Lee Yi-kyung and Lee Ji-won, this film follows Secret Agent Jun who fakes his death to leave his current job and pursue his ultimate dream of becoming a webtoon artist. Initially, hes unable to hit it big but once he starts drawing about his former job, viewers and the CIA are drawn to his work.
One of the most anticipated Korean films of 2020, Time To Hunt is as good as it gets. A star studded cast full of the top actors of this generation - Lee Je-hoon as Jun-seok, Ahn Jae-hong as Jang-ho, Choi Woo-shik as Ki-hoon, Park Jung-min as Sang-soo and Park Hae-soo as Han, this film also uses the motif of one last game. In this case, Jun Seok, freshly out of prison, suggests one last heist before him and his friends can escape dystopian South Korea. Backed by an amazing soundtrack, this film is a must-watch and highly recommended.
Another masterpiece to come out of 2020, #Alive can best be described as a millennial zombie horror. Starring two of the best and highest-paid actors of the South Korean entertainment industry, Yoo Ah In and Park Shin Hye, this film strangely resonates perfectly with the global human condition right now. Forced to be locked inside his own apartment, a streamers struggle is charted against flesh-eating zombies.
Another Yoo Ah In starrer, Voice of Silence also features another veteran master actor Yoo Jae Myung (who you may remember from Itaewon Class as Jang Dae Hee). The two are an unlikely but perfect duo. Yoo Ah In plays Tae In, a young man who never speaks and Yoo Jae Myung as Chang Bok, a religious old man, who work together as the clean-up crew for a crime organisation. Despite having little to no dialogue in the film, Yoo Ah In does a masterfully brilliant job expressing a wide range of emotions through this film. Chaos reigns when the two are given the responsibility of taking care of a kidnapped young girl.
Lets rewind all the way back to 1995 where a group of 3 young employees at a banking job get the opportunity to be promoted if only they ace the TOEIC test with at least 600 points. The three enrol in an English class and soon find out that their company might be involved in some shady business. Needless to say, they launch a thorough investigation to bring out the truth. The three lead actors in this film are Go Ah Sung, Esom and Park Hye Su and the three do an incredible job at making this film one of the best films to come out of 2020.
Youll find some of your favourite K-Drama actors starring in this heist/caper film about tomb raiders as they execute a grave robbery in the heart of Seoul. Lee Je-hoon appears as Kang Dong-goo, a genius robber with a unique touch and intuition, Jo Woo-jin as Dr. Jones, an expert in his field, Shin Hye-sun as Yoon Se-hee, a curator and Im Won-hee as Shovel Leg, named after his incomparable shoveling skills. Adventure, comedy, tension and suspense, this film has it all!
Finally, Park Shin Hye and Jeon Jong Seos time travel masterpiece The Call is the perfect candidate to wrap up this list. Seo-yeon (Park Shin-hye) and Young-sook (Jeon Jong-seo) are two women with an intertwined fate from different timelines who connect eerily through an old phone. The two get closer than expected in a short amount of time and their fates are turned upside down when one single change they make makes ripples big enough in time to ruin them. Horror, time travel, gore and crime thriller these are the predominant themes in this film and we highly recommend you watch this as soon as possible!
What do you think of these films? What would you add to the list? Share your thoughts with Pinkvilla in the comments section below!
x Your comment has been submitted to the moderation queue
Go here to read the rest:
Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch - PINKVILLA
- South Korean Movies That Have Left Global Audience Asking For More - Outlook India - September 16th, 2022
- Rob Zombie - IMDb - August 31st, 2022
- Sci-Fi Movies That Made The Cast Do Gross Things - /Film - August 31st, 2022
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Blond Models - ReelRundown - August 31st, 2022
- The Keymaster And The Gatekeeper 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - August 31st, 2022
- Carter and the best Asian martial arts movies on the Internet right now - Entertainment News , Firstpost - Firstpost - August 22nd, 2022
- [Top 25] Best Zombie Games for PC | GAMERS DECIDE - August 14th, 2022
- [Top 5] Minecraft Zombie Apocalypse Mods That Are Awesome - August 14th, 2022
- New Netflix Zombie Movie Debuts on Top 10 List - Horror - August 14th, 2022
- Ten Different Ways to Start a Zombie Apocalypse Story or Novel - August 14th, 2022
- 'The Gray Man' Has Massive Debut on Netflix - ScreenCrush - July 28th, 2022
- 50 Most Memorable Danny Glover Movies Ranked Worst To Best - Looper - June 14th, 2022
- 5 best movies and shows on Prime Video this weekend: The Boys - Amazon Adviser - June 5th, 2022
- Poll: What's the Best Korn Album? - Vote Now - Loudwire - June 5th, 2022
- Stories of the subcontinent: Films from India, Pakistan, Nepal illuminate 75th anniversary line-up of Cannes Film Festival - The Financial Express - May 17th, 2022
- Selling Sunset's Christine Quinn Has Officially Exited The Oppenheim Group, But Is That A Good Thing? - msnNOW - May 4th, 2022
- Ten Movies That Were Saved by Their Ending - 25YearsLaterSite.com - April 8th, 2022
- Top 10 movies from 2021 that take your breath away! - Financial World - April 8th, 2022
- 15 Years Ago: The Failure of 'Grindhouse' Heralds a New Era - Ultimate Classic Rock - April 8th, 2022
- Lzzy Hale + Katie Daryl Return for New Seasons of AXS' 'A Year in Music' + 'Top Ten Revealed' - Loudwire - April 8th, 2022
- Crack At it Again - Brewster Suspect Arrested in Danbury, Again - i95rock.com - April 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Base Building Games (Build, Defend, Survive ... - March 27th, 2022
- Top 10 Reasons the Zombie Apocalypse Could Really Happen ... - March 27th, 2022
- HORROR TEN SPOT: Top 10 Asses - March 27th, 2022
- 60 Best Zombie Movies of All Time | Stacker - March 27th, 2022
- All time best end-of-the-world movies to watch in 2022 - Digital Boom - January 23rd, 2022
- 2022s big TV and movie anniversaries - Polygon - January 9th, 2022
- The George Romero-Helmed Stephen King Adaptation We'll Never Get To See - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- The 15 Best Sci-Fi Movies Of 2021 Ranked - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- Google Has Revealed All the Movies and TV Shows We've Been Searching for in 2021 - Concrete Playground - December 14th, 2021
- How Shaun of the Dead Got a Boost From Hollywood and Comic-Con Geeks - Gizmodo - November 29th, 2021
- A Kickass Zombie Movie Is Back From The Dead To Terrorize Netflix - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Fans Go Wild As Shang-Chi Arrives On Disney Plus - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Day of the Dead interview with star Christopher Russell - 1428 Elm - October 20th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero