When the PlayStation hit the scene, it had to compete with the Super Nintendo and Sega Dreamcast, twoconsoles from already established hotshots in the video game world. Nevertheless, Sony came out of the gates swinging. In spite of a flurry of licensing issues, development setbacks, and porting errors, the PlayStationwas a quick heavy-hitter, sporting franchises like Final Fantasy and the Chrono series.
RELATED: 10 Nintendo Games That Were Cancelled For Strange Reasons
Expectations for the PlayStation 2 were, therefore, sky-high. If Sony could iron out the kinks in the hardware and software and repair their damaged relationships with certain developers, they'd be well on their way to surpassing the competition. Indeed, the PlayStation 2 was a huge leap forward, but there were still some issues that led to many cancellations of what would have been amazing games.
Those who recognize 100 Bullets from a comic book of the same name know their history. For exactly 100 issues, DCComics published the story of a group of innocent people, how they'd been wronged, and a mysterious organization that gave them the opportunity for revenge.
The video game would havehad a story like The Punisher, but with more political intrigue and moral quandaries. It could have been one of thebest third-person adventure games of all-time,pioneeringhuman shields and automatic headshots. After astounding those who played it at E3 in 2004, licensing issues delayed it. By the timethis was resolved, the PS3 was released and the game was left to waste.
Capcom has a tragic history of cancellations, enough to even have their own top ten list of nixed games.Capcom Fight All-Starswas ambitious, aiming to be a true 3D fighting experience and not just a 2D fighter with 3D graphics.
Afterplayers beta tested the game, the camera, controls, and fighting system were all a bit too complicated and clunky. Instead of swinging for the fences, putting in the work, and perhaps making a rival to Super Smash Brothers, Capcom bunted and gave up on the project.
George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead captivated and tortured the minds of adolescentsaround the world. After his continued success of Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, publisher Hip Interactive thought it was time for a video game.
With guidance from the legendary director himself and cast from the movies in the game, City of the Dead was going to be a nightmarishly good time. The game would have been perfect for Halloween. Unfortunately for a small publisher like Hip, they ran out of money before they could finish.
Activision wanted to take advantage of the PlayStation 2's lofty capabilities in a big way. They found that it was possible to load an entire city into the game and then never have another loading screen again.
RELATED: 10 Canceled PS4 Games We Wish Saw The Light Of Day
The city, Eastport, and protagonist Jake would never get the chance to show what happens when a Grand Theft Auto style game mixes with a zombie population. Instead of being one of the best zombie games ever, Activision opted to play it safe with their other working titles.
UFO: Enemy Unknown was a game ahead of its time. It would eventually evolve into the incredible XCOM series after some twists and turns, but the studio, Mythos Games, saw the potential much earlier than anyone else did.
Unleashing the different tactical views, military decisions, and nail-chomping combat that makes the games so fun to play, thisproduct would have absolutely floored gamers. Unbelievably, no publisher saw the potential and the studio had to throw in the towel when they couldn't find one.
Before action RPGs like Diablo were inspiring people to claw through hell, another post-apocalyptic RPG was ready to set the standard. The game concept involved four traditional "sinners" left behind after the rapture.
Somewhere in between playing the horseman like in Darksiders and being a reformed believer like in Left Behind, the game would havepremiered an interesting balance of bad people fighting worse demons. Long past their successes with Terminator and Alien, 3DO ran went bankrupt and was unable to sell off the work done on the game.
Gamers are still discovering secrets in Planet Zoo, but the dinosaurs have yet to takeas prominent role as they did in Jurassic Park, a movie series that had the world clamoring for more, even as the third installment was set to hit the screens.
Originally begun by Vivendi, the game wanted to add a dash of Die Hard into the franchise. As payments broke down withdeveloper Savage, Konami stepped in and got the game completed, submitted, and even rated by the ESRB (Teen). Derailed by payroll errors since taking over, Konami decided they could no longer keep fighting and left the game to fade into memory.
Dante Alighieri's Inferno has been inspiring artists, writers, poets, and thinkers since it was completed in the year 1320. When video game consoles made their way into more households, it was only a matter of time until games like Darksiders used the literature for inspiration.
RELATED: 10 Canceled Xbox One Games You Forgot Existed
The Lost would have beat Darksiders to the punch by eight years had things worked out. The production crew decided to upgrade to the next engine after being halfway completed. At the same time, Publisher Crave told the team they were moving the revenue model from a triple-A title to a budget release. The engine alone consumed all of thefunding and so the team hung up the gloves.
As Madden 20 viesto be the lowest-rated video game title ever, football fans will leaf through the history books and wonder how this could have been avoided. Rightas an exclusivity deal was signed in 2005 with EA, Sony Computer Entertainment San Diego was working on Road to Sunday.
Maddenwouldinfamously be judged aslazy and disappointing. Conversely,SCE San Diego would go on to make MLB The Show, a popular title among those who want to put themselves into a simulated baseball game. Heartbreakingly, the screenshots of Road to Sunday show an RPG-like leveling system, which has never been properly instituted into Maddenover the last fifteen years. Gamers can only anguish when considering what might have been for football video games.
The movie and TV series Tremors would have been a fantastic video game. With elements of Jaws, Alien, and Half-Life, the game would have been a groundbreaking, puzzle-solving, survival-horror smash hit.
Instead of meeting new characters, gamers were treated to a large helping of disappointment. The Graboids project was too big for Rock Solid Studios and they resigned to giving up one year after announcing the titledespite a year and a half worth of effort from their team.
NEXT: 10 Console Games You Didn't Know Were Canceled (That Everyone Wanted)
Next 5 Things We Love About Destiny 2: Beyond Light (& 5 Things We Dont)
Hodey Johns is a writer for Game Rant based out of the Rocky Mountains in North Ogden, Utah. He's had a passion for video games and literature since he was a child growing up along the beach in San Diego, California. As a graduate of Theology from Liberty University, he puts his experience with religion, philosophy, and debate into his work. His other interests include sports, bike riding, and good old-fashioned barbecue.
See original here:
PlayStation 2: 10 Cancelled Games We Wanted To See | Game Rant - GameRant
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
- Best new movies coming out in 2021: On streaming and (hopefully) in theaters - syracuse.com - January 9th, 2021
- Xbox Live Games with Gold titles for January 2021 revealed - Shacknews - January 9th, 2021
- 2021: Very insightful industry predictions - Property Industry Eye - January 3rd, 2021
- Best Horror Movies of 2020 - Sprout Wired - December 31st, 2020
- The top 10 films of 2020 - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2020
- The 10 Best Horror Games of 2020 | Game Rant - GameRant - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Games that Helped Me Stay In Touch With My Friends During 2020s Lockdown - IGN India - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020
- Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch - PINKVILLA - December 19th, 2020
- What vets can learn from It's a Wonderful Life - We Are The Mighty - December 19th, 2020
- The Best TV Shows of 2020 - Pajiba Entertainment News - December 19th, 2020
- The 10 best games of 2020: In a pandemic, play was critical - Los Angeles Times - December 12th, 2020
- Emerge from the slog of 2020 and into the promise of tomorrow with these films - Kansas City Pitch - December 11th, 2020
- Research: Millions of smart devices vulnerable to hacking - The Associated Press - December 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Will audiences return to the movies? They already have, IMAX CEO says - CNBC - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Great Recent Horror Movies from 2020 You Might Have Missed - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- Want to see something really scary? - Dothan Eagle - November 16th, 2020
- Ranking the Friday the 13th Movies | 411MANIA - 411mania.com - November 16th, 2020
- Why are there no James Bond games? - GamesIndustry.biz - November 12th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' Showrunner Matt Negrete on Expanding the 'Walking Dead' Universe - Collider.com - November 9th, 2020
- Kevin Love invests in first mental health gym initiative - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Chiefs trade RB DeAndre Washington to Dolphins - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- The 'QBs with the most NFL starts' quiz - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Bengals unlikely to trade receiver John Ross before deadline - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Rockets expected to rebuff trade interest in James Harden - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Seven players the Mets should target in free agency - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Orioles GM: ownership is not selling the team - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- 10 underrated horror movies to watch on Halloween - The Indian Express - November 1st, 2020
- Brendan Gallagher Means Everything to the Canadiens - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Seattle Kraken will wait to name head coach - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Elton Brand, Sixers agree to multiyear extension - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Seahawks were interested in trading for Aldon Smith - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Sam Hinkie has no intention of ever returning to NBA - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- 'Babyteeth', 'True History of the Kelly Gang' and 'The Invisible Man' Lead the 2020 AATCA Nominations - Concrete Playground - November 1st, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero