2020 was a strong year for the horror genre. It saw critically-acclaimed sequels to established horror franchises, along with the release of some innovative, brand new IP that is taking horror in new directions.
Some horror games are notable for their ability to scare the player, whereas others may combine fun gameplay mechanics with a horror aesthetic. There are many differenttypesof horror games, and 2020 saw horror games of all kinds released to the masses. However, not all horror games are created equal, with some of them standing out from the rest of the pack as particularly strong games.
RELATED: Silent Hill Creator Developing New Horror Game for 2023 Release
In alphabetical order, here are the 10 best horror games of 2020.
Frictional Games can be given a lot of credit for revitalizing the horror genre in video games. 2010'sAmnesia: The Dark Descent launched at a time when many developers had turned their back on horror games, transforming some of the genre's biggest franchises into action-oriented shooters instead of embracing their horror roots. 10 years later, Frictional followed up the originalAmnesia withAmnesia: Rebirth, a sequel that largely lives up to the hype.
Amnesia: Rebirth trades the dark castle setting for more varied environments, with protagonist Tasi exploring an overbearingly bright desert, caves, ruins, and otherworldly locations as well. Like its predecessor,Amnesia: Rebirth favors atmosphere over simply bombarding the player with jump scares, and in doing so, ensures that its scares are far more effective than they would be otherwise. A genuinely scary game from start to finish,Amnesia: Rebirth proves that Frictional can still deliver top-tier horror gaming experiences.
Most horror games leave players completely defenseless against their adversaries, left with little to no means of defending themselves.Carrion flips that on its head, instead letting players take on the role of the monster for a change. InCarrion, players control a massive red blob of flesh and blood that is able to shapeshift and scurry around with its tentacles. This creature is capable of taking control of human minds, turning them against each other like something out ofThe Thing, and it can just as easily grab them by the ankles, smashing them to smithereens on the ceiling. A blood-soaked take on the classic Metroidvania formula,Carrion's reverse-horror game concept is unique and definitely worth checking out for fans of the genre looking for something a little bit different.
The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters may not be the most well-known horror game that came out in 2020, but it's certainly one of the better ones. InThe Coma 2, players take on the role of Mina Park, who finds herself stuck in a horrific alternate version of Sehwa High, pursued by a strange creature that looks like one of her teachers. Like many other survival-horror games, puzzle-solving is a key element ofThe Coma 2, with players solving puzzles as they attempt to make their way through the story. Players have to learn how to sneak around quietly, collect resources, and craft items if they hope to make it through the game alive.
The originalLast of Usis considered one of the best games of its generation, and so expectations were incredibly high going intoThe Last of Us 2. While certain story beats didn't please all fans of the franchise, there's no denying the pure technical craft that went into the game, standing out as one of the best-looking and most technically-sounded video games ever produced, even in the face of next-generation titles.
The Last of Us 2 is the most-polished horror game on this list, as well as the one with the highest critic review score. The game once again has players trying to survive against horrific creatures like Clickers, with players also encountering new threats, like the gruesome Rat King. Some ofThe Last of Us 2's cut-scenes are the scariest and intense cut-scenes in any video game ever, sure to leave those who haven't been spoiled on the edge of their seats.
It's rare for a horror game to get the kind of budget and attention thatThe Last of Us 2 has, but it's well-deserved. Having already won numerous Game of the Year awards,The Last of Us 2 is one of 2020's most impressive games, and easily one of the year's best horror titles.
One-man development team Puppet Combo creates horror game experiences that should especially appeal to old-school fans who grew up with PS1 horror games. One of Puppet Combo's latest projects,Murder House, is also one of his best. In the game, players find themselves exploring the abandoned house of Anthony Smith, a notorious serial killer known as the Easter Ripper. Taking its cues from PS1-era horror games likeResident Evil andSilent Hill, complete with tank controls,Murder House's gameplay should be familiar to longtime survival-horror fans. Horror fans will be keeping a close eye on Puppet Combo to see what kind of retro-inspired horror gaming experience they can come up with next.
RELATED: Rumor: Resident Evil Switch Game Will Feature Rebecca Chambers
Indie gamePhasmophobia came out of nowhere to be one of the top horror hits this Halloween season.Phasmophobia quickly became one of the most popular titles for streamers looking to make some Halloween-themed content, and has cultivated a dedicated following of players. Technically still in early access, there are some aspects ofPhasmophobia that are still rough around the edges, but the co-op ghost-hunting concept is still plenty of fun. NewPhasmophobia content is released regularly, with a prison level having just recently left beta. IfPhasmophobia is able to keep its playerbase engaged, there's no reason to think that it won't be one of 2021's top horror games as well.
TheResident Evil 2 remake was a massive hit in 2019, and sotheResident Evil 3 remake had some pretty big shoes to fill. WhileResident Evil 3 didn't exactly light the world on fire likeResident Evil 2 did, it still managed to be a high quality horror gaming experience, bringing Jill Valentine's struggle against the Nemesis monster to modern standards. Featuring classic survival-horror gameplay and impressive graphics, theResident Evil 3 remake is a no-brainer for fans of Capcom's long-running franchise and horror enthusiasts in general.
It should be noted that theResident Evil 3 remake doesn't come by itself. Not only do players get the base game single-player adventure, but they also gain access to theResident Evil: Resistance multiplayer experience as well. An asymmetric multiplayer horror game,Resident Evil: Resistance is an interesting experiment by Capcom, and is good for some multiplayer fun after players have wrapped up the story.
In terms of scares, few horror games in 2020 can hold a candle toVisage. Directly inspired by Hideo Kojima'shorror classicP.T.,Visage is a bone-chilling haunted house experience.Visage's brutal opening scene sees a man murder his entire family, and after subjecting players to that atrocities, they are tasked with exploring a clearly haunted house.Visage's creepy house is a constant drain on the player character's sanity, which causes them to hallucinate and experience some disturbing moments.Visage is not just one of the best and scariest horror games of 2020, but it's also quite arguably one of the scariest horror games ever made.
Virtual reality and horror go well to together, and one of the best examples of that isThe Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners. The bestWalking Dead VR game and arguably the best zombie VR game made to date,The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners has players fight their way through zombie hordes while scavenging for supplies and crafting deadly new weapons. Humans inThe Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners pose just as much of a threat, if not more, than the zombies do, leading to plenty of intense encounters that will have players sweating underneath their VR headset. Combine all of this with motion controls that are designed to make zombie-killing as fun as possible, and it's clear thatThe Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is both a standout VR game for 2020 as well as a standout horror game.
Rebellion Developments may be best known for itsSniper Elite games, but the studio has also produced somehorror-themed titles as well, specifically theZombie Army series.The latest entry in the franchise,Zombie Army 4: Dead War, was launched earlier this year. A great game when played with friends,Zombie Army 4: Dead War provides plenty of co-op zombie-slaying action for fans of Rebellion's games.
MORE: The Best Evolving Games of 2020
Next 10 Mistakes Everyone Makes On Their First Playthrough Of Red Dead Redemption 2
Dalton Cooper is an editor for Game Rant who has been writing about video games professionally since 2011. Having written thousands of game reviews and articles over the course of his career, Dalton considers himself a video game historian and strives to play as many games as possible. Dalton covers the latest breaking news for Game Rant, as well as writes reviews, guide content, and more.
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
- Best new movies coming out in 2021: On streaming and (hopefully) in theaters - syracuse.com - January 9th, 2021
- Xbox Live Games with Gold titles for January 2021 revealed - Shacknews - January 9th, 2021
- 2021: Very insightful industry predictions - Property Industry Eye - January 3rd, 2021
- Best Horror Movies of 2020 - Sprout Wired - December 31st, 2020
- The top 10 films of 2020 - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Games that Helped Me Stay In Touch With My Friends During 2020s Lockdown - IGN India - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020
- Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch - PINKVILLA - December 19th, 2020
- What vets can learn from It's a Wonderful Life - We Are The Mighty - December 19th, 2020
- The Best TV Shows of 2020 - Pajiba Entertainment News - December 19th, 2020
- The 10 best games of 2020: In a pandemic, play was critical - Los Angeles Times - December 12th, 2020
- Emerge from the slog of 2020 and into the promise of tomorrow with these films - Kansas City Pitch - December 11th, 2020
- Research: Millions of smart devices vulnerable to hacking - The Associated Press - December 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Will audiences return to the movies? They already have, IMAX CEO says - CNBC - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Great Recent Horror Movies from 2020 You Might Have Missed - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- Want to see something really scary? - Dothan Eagle - November 16th, 2020
- Ranking the Friday the 13th Movies | 411MANIA - 411mania.com - November 16th, 2020
- PlayStation 2: 10 Cancelled Games We Wanted To See | Game Rant - GameRant - November 16th, 2020
- Why are there no James Bond games? - GamesIndustry.biz - November 12th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' Showrunner Matt Negrete on Expanding the 'Walking Dead' Universe - Collider.com - November 9th, 2020
- Kevin Love invests in first mental health gym initiative - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Chiefs trade RB DeAndre Washington to Dolphins - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- The 'QBs with the most NFL starts' quiz - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Bengals unlikely to trade receiver John Ross before deadline - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Rockets expected to rebuff trade interest in James Harden - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Seven players the Mets should target in free agency - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Orioles GM: ownership is not selling the team - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- 10 underrated horror movies to watch on Halloween - The Indian Express - November 1st, 2020
- Brendan Gallagher Means Everything to the Canadiens - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Seattle Kraken will wait to name head coach - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Elton Brand, Sixers agree to multiyear extension - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Seahawks were interested in trading for Aldon Smith - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Sam Hinkie has no intention of ever returning to NBA - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- 'Babyteeth', 'True History of the Kelly Gang' and 'The Invisible Man' Lead the 2020 AATCA Nominations - Concrete Playground - November 1st, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero