If you like horror movies, there are two main rivals that keep fighting for the top scariest monster. One is the pale, blood-sucking humanoids called vampires. The other contender is a monster that resembles a big dog. Like vampires, they are also partly human, but far less willing in their monster roles. Im talking about werewolves, the howling half-human, half-wolf creatures that begin as humans, but transform whenever theres a full moon. Yeah, we know the story, you get bit, you turn into a werewolf. Likewise, if the vampire sinks its fangs into your neck, you become a vampire. The vampire and the werewolf are only active at night, with the only difference being a vampire will die in the sunlight, whereas the werewolf can only transform at night.
These popular horror monsters have a lot in common, which is probably why their feud has been everlasting in horror movie history. As a kid, Ive always tried to watch every werewolf and vampire movie that exist. Yeah, I was scared out of my mind, but thats the idea, right? Well, I also took time to think about which of the two monsters had the better movies.
Now thats a debate for horror movie fans. First of all, Ive never been a big horror movie guy, but I did always like watching movies about werewolves and vampires. Theyre the classic monsters of the horror movie genre and theyll probably stay that way forever. Personally, Ive always dug werewolves more than vampires. In terms of their movies, I tend to like both, but Ill just say that the werewolf movies always impressed me more.
I think it has a lot to do with the difference between the two monsters. For one, we know they can both turn their victims by biting them. Secondly, we know that they are mostly active at nighttime. And thirdly, both monsters can only be killed in specific ways. With vampires, it ranges from sunlight, a religious cross, garlic, or driving a stake through their hearts. As for werewolves, you can either kill them when theyre in human form, or shoot them in their werewolf form with a silver bullet. Theyre hard creatures to kill, so thats part of what makes them scary. However, in my opinion, it runs far deeper than that.
The vampire movies and werewolf movies usually show them in their most typical forms. With vampires, theyre the pale creatures with fangs and they usually hide in a castle during they day. When it turns night, however, theyll seek out human prey. In some movies, like 30 Days of Night, theyre more monstrous and embrace their animalistic tendencies. Or, if you watch What We Do in the Shadows, theyre shown in a much more comedic fashion. I will say, that is the advantage vampires have above the other horror movie monsters.
Since they have a big human influence, theres a lot that can be done with them. You want more vampire comedy? Theres also an animated movie called Hotel Transylvania, where Count Dracula is voiced by Adam Sandler and he hangs out with other horror movie monsters. You want some comedy with vampires? Id say shows and movies like that cover it.
So its fun to see monsters in different fashions, but I think we mostly prefer to see them as what they are. In the case of vampires, I personally think they work best when theyre shown as more classy, more controlled monsters with gentlemen-like qualities. If you want a good example, lets go way back to the most popular vampire movie of all time. If you havent watched Nosferatu, starring Max Shreck, youre seriously missing out on some classic horror. The main vampire is basically Count Dracula, but was renamed to Count Orlock. Its a German film, made my German filmmakers, so of course the characters are going to have German names. Yes, that includes Dracula himself.
Nosferatu is without a doubt the greatest vampire movie ever. The iconic shot of Count Orlocks shadow as hes coming up the stairs is one of the most terrifying shots in horror movie history. What makes him the ideal vampire is that he represents the scariest of them all. Hes calm, knows how to act human, and is a master manipulator. Thats what every terrible vampire should be and thats actually what separates them from werewolves. You want to watch a more modern example of that, check out the 2009 movie, Daybreakers with Ethan Hawke. If you ever wondered what the world would be like if vampires were the leading race, then watch this movie. The cool thing is that they act a lot like humans, except they struggle to sustain their main food source, which is humans.
So vampire movies can be different, but even so, I still tend to lean towards werewolves more. From the very beginning, such as the original Wolfman, the critical difference between them and vampires is that they suffer from a curse. Most of the time, a man doesnt choose to become a werewolf. He often gets attacked and bitten by one, and the curse sticks with him. Unlike the vampires, werewolves cannot control themselves and the human behind the monster has to live with the curse.
I think thats what really drew me to the idea of the werewolf. The fact that theyre humans and monsters at once, but they dont want to be. Theyd rather be free from their curse and the conflict of the story is watching them try to cope with it. Sadly, they often fail to cure themselves, but in some movies, they learn to control the curse. And when that happens, they sometimes fight vampires. Look at Van Helsing or the Underworld movies and youll see exactly that. When it comes down to vampires vs. werewolves, the werewolves usually win. Thats awesome, but when vampires arent involved, the werewolves are usually tragic figures who always meet tragic ends.
I named the best vampire movie, so how about the best werewolf movie? Id say An American Werewolf in London. That movie perfectly showcases the curse of the werewolf and the burden the human has to carry with it. The movie ups the ante by having the mind of the human deteriorate until he is prompted to commit suicide. If that doesnt show how terrible the werewolf curse is, I dont know what does.
What say you, horror movie fans? Vampires or werewolves?
Read the original:
Do Werewolves Or Vampires Have The Better Movies? - TVOvermind
- "What We Do in the Shadows" revels in the fecklessness of vampires who fail upward - Salon - September 5th, 2021
- Tony Lindsay Returns to Speculative Fiction With 'Melody Knight a Vampire's Tale' - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2021
- When Will Vampire Diaries Co-Creator Julie Plec Acknowledge the Horrible Treatment of Bonnie Bennett? - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- LA By Night, the best damn vampire show around, is returning for its final season - The Next Web - September 5th, 2021
- Psychology of friendship: the rise of the social vampire - Stylist Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Sharkmob Explains Where 'Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt' Fits in the Series Canon - Newsweek - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Revenant', 'Interview With a Vampire', 'The Patriot', and More Get Many of Their Props From the Same Place - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Blade Reboot Director Explains How The Vampire Hunter Is Being Handled For The MCU - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- Meet The Ferat Vampire, A Modern Interpretation Of A Classic By Skoda - CarScoops - September 5th, 2021
- Bonnie Tyler hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart" is about vampires - Boing Boing - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasia 2021: Fear Is a Blessing in Spanish Vampire Fantasy 'All the Moons' - PopMatters - September 5th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3: What Joining the Vampire Council Means for the Roommates - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- From 'Interviews With Some Vampires' to 'Wellington Paranormal' - The Evolution of 'What We Do in the Shadows' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- [Review] Glenn Danzig's 'Death Rider in the House of Vampires' Has All the Charm...and Flaws of 'Verotika' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- Dracula fans furious after being told they cant see the vampires grave at North Yorks church... - The US Sun - August 24th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampires: Inside the Making of What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 - Rolling Stone - August 24th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 Prepares For Colin Robinson's 100th Birthday - Den of Geek - August 24th, 2021
- Edge Evokes the Shadow of The Blood and the Vampire on SmackDown - Last Word on Baseball - August 24th, 2021
- Film Review: ALL THE MOONS: The Best Vampire Film in Years [Fantasia 2021] - FilmBook - August 24th, 2021
- New "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" YA books will focus on Willow's kid being Chosen - Boing Boing - August 24th, 2021
- Why Stephanie Meyers Specifically Wrote That All Vampires In 'Twilight' Must Be White - YourTango - August 24th, 2021
- 'Interview With the Vampire' Is Coming to a Small Screen Near You - Esquire - July 26th, 2021
- Blood Red Sky Pits a Vampire Against Hijackers and Almost Lives Up to That Killer Concept - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampire AMC Series Taps Mad Men, Game of Thrones Alum Alan Taylor to Direct (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3 Teaser Peddles a Nice Bone, an Evil Bucket, and More - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 6 Vampire Movies Are Dominating Netflix This Weekend - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- Alan Taylor to direct Interview with the Vampire - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer quiz: Get full marks and you're the chosen one - The Tab - July 26th, 2021
- Rules Vampires Have To Follow In Every Twilight Movie - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Vampire Slayers Unite: Kate Beckinsale Wanted to Mash Together the Worlds of 'Blade' and 'Underworld' - Bloody Disgusting - July 26th, 2021
- The Most Brutal Deaths In Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- No money to bury child victims of 'Vampire Killer' - The Star, Kenya - July 26th, 2021
- Nicki Swift The Real Reason David Boreanaz Left Buffy The Vampire Slayer 19 hours ago - Nicki Swift - July 26th, 2021
- The Untold Truth Of Interview With The Vampire - Looper - July 11th, 2021
- Is Cofidis a team of vampires? - CyclingTips - July 11th, 2021
- For female vampire bats, an equal chance to rule the roost - The Ohio State University News - July 11th, 2021
- Fairer sex: Colonies of female-only vampire bats live in equal societies - The Independent - July 11th, 2021
- What Happened To The Cast Of Buffy The Vampire Slayer? - Looper - July 11th, 2021
- New track by Vampire Weekends Ezra Koenig features in I Think You Should Leave - NME - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Best Im Dead And I Know It Moments In Vampire Horror Movies - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- Dave Bautista is Allegedly Looking to Do a Vampire Movie - TVOvermind - July 11th, 2021
- 'Near Dark' Is A Uniquely American Masterpiece Of An Unheralded Cinematic Subgenre: The Vampire Neo-Western - Decider - July 11th, 2021
- Let the Right One In TV Series Will Include Multiple Vampires - ComicBook.com - July 11th, 2021
- The skeleton of a 'vampire' discovered has revealed its secrets - Gentside - July 11th, 2021
- Microsoft announces Redfall, a vampire shooter from the team behind Dishonored - The Verge - June 14th, 2021
- Vampire: The Masquerade coming to Roll20 with new 5th edition module - Polygon - June 14th, 2021
- Some Thoughts On Vampire The Masquerade: Winter's Teeth #6 - Bleeding Cool News - June 14th, 2021
- Ex-Vampire Weekend Rostam talks oppression, mushrooms, Bruce - Los Angeles Times - June 14th, 2021
- AMC's Interview with the Vampire Series Is Making Some Big Changes from the Book - TVweb - June 14th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire: Louis will be played by a black actor in the new adaptation of the novel Explica .co - Explica - June 14th, 2021
- Revisiting the Disappointingly Brief History of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Video Game Adaptations - Bloody Disgusting - June 14th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire TV Series Reveals a Big Twist to Anne Rice's Novel - MovieWeb - June 14th, 2021
- Scarlett Moffatt insists vampires walk among us and is convinced Richard Madeley could be one of them... - The Sun - June 14th, 2021
- Arkanes New Fantasy IP is Reportedly Called Omen; Vampire-Related and Coming Next Year Rumour - GamingBolt - May 21st, 2021
- Jakobs Wife is an amazing vampire marriage therapy mash-up you can stream at home right now - San Antonio Current - May 8th, 2021
- Van Helsing's final season wants vampires to 'pay the price' in deadly teaser for Episode 5 - SYFY WIRE - May 8th, 2021
- V Rising is a vampire action-adventure game where you get your own castle - Destructoid - May 8th, 2021
- Resident Evil Village is more schlocky B-movie than Tall Vampire Lady thirst trap - British GQ - May 8th, 2021
- Candice King Wants to Reprise The Vampire Diaries Role on Legacies - TV Fanatic - May 8th, 2021
- 'The Vampire Diaries': Fans Love to Visit the Real-Life Mystic Grill Inspired By the Hit Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 8th, 2021
- So, I Just Watched "Twilight" For The First Time, And I Have 21 Very Important Questions - BuzzFeed - May 8th, 2021
- Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley Say They Fought At the End of "The Vampire Diaries" - Seventeen.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything to know about PRP therapy, the Vampire Facial for your eyes - image.ie - May 8th, 2021
- This Week in Anime - Is Mars Red Too High Brow? - Anime News Network - May 8th, 2021
- Vampire facials spa owner linked to HIV cases faces 24 charges - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - April 23rd, 2021
- The Boys From County Hell Puts Its Own Bite on the Vampire Genre - Gizmodo - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys from County Hell Review: Irish Vampires and a Plucky Horror Comedy - IndieWire - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys From County Hell Review: Irish Vampire-Comedy Tries to Reinvent the Myth - ComicBook.com - April 23rd, 2021
- How Vampire Weekend guided me into fatherhood - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys from County Hell is an Irish vampire plague based in roots and friendship rot - Kansas City Pitch - April 23rd, 2021
- Are Resident Evil Villages Vampires and Werewolves the Future of the Franchise? - Den of Geek - April 23rd, 2021
- The spookiest places to visit in Scotland from haunted castles to vampire infested graveyards - Daily Record - April 23rd, 2021
- Did It Happen On The Vampire Diaries Or The Originals? New - WhatCulture - April 23rd, 2021
- 'Jakob's Wife' Takes On Marital and Patriarchal Standards With A Vampire Premise About A Woman's Awakening From the Mundane - Substream Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Are We Attracted to Vampires? Berkeley High Jacket - berkeleyhighjacket.com - April 5th, 2021
- Review: Hunted by Sarah Biglow and Molly Zenk - The Nerd Daily - April 5th, 2021
- Continuous Vampire Attack: The AMM Wars Are Getting Interesting With Integral - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - April 5th, 2021
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Hardest Cordelia Quiz On The Internet! - WhatCulture - April 5th, 2021
- Hawk and Rev: Vampire Slayers Watch Party Will Slay You! - Film Threat - April 5th, 2021
- "9 Best Vampire Themed Slots - Online Gambling for Real Money - BestUSCasinos.org - April 5th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero