A rotted hand lurches from the ground beneath the mercenary Erik's feet, grasping for an ankle. Motes of light float between blackened trees, disappearing behind them for a moment; then, reappearing like fireflies flashing intermittently in the night. Liandra of Muckborough walks into ahaunted housewhere a lone candle burns on the dining room table. There's a chill in the air, and her hair bristles. The candle goes out.
RELATED:Dungeons & Dragons: The 8 Most Powerful Celestials, Ranked
Undead take on a variety of forms. All of them are horrifying. Man has always feared death, so it only makes sense that he would fear those who deny it. But denying death isn't an achievement any simple-minded mortal can attain, thoughsuch low-lives make perfectly good undead thralls. Only the cruelest and craftiest harness the powers of undeath. Accordingly, the deadliest of undead retain the intelligence and strength they cultivated while still among the living.
Eidolons are created from the souls of humanoids who demonstrated an unwavering devotion to their chosen god. As a reward for their fervent service, gods can turn these souls into eidolons: ghostly spirits with an oath to protect a place of sacred importance to their god. Eidolons work alongside the sacred statues in such places, inhabiting them and then using the animated statues to crush unwanted trespassers.
The eidolon's ability to inhabit another statue recharges on a d6 die roll of 5-6, so a single eidolon is capable of providing a handful of opponents. Their divine dread feature also causes any creature that looks upon their ghostly visage to make a DC 15 wisdom saving throw or suffer the frightened condition, forcing the target to take the dash action on its turn.
While most fantasy interpretations of vampires see the curse spread any time a vampire feeds on a victim and the victim lives,Dungeons and Dragons vampires are a little bit more complicated. A vampire that doesn't kill a humanoid from which it feeds sees that humanoid turned into a vampire spawn under the control of the vampire who turned it. The spawn can only become a true vampire if it feeds on its master's blood or its master perishes.
While incredibly dangerous in combat, vampires have a number of weaknesses: running water, sunlight, and the inability to enter a house unless invited. The most important thing to know is a vampire is never truly dead until killedwhile inside its resting place.
A death tyrant is the result of a beholder who dreamsof a reality where it lives beyond death. A beholder's dreams are so powerful that when one indulges in this idea for too long, its skin falls from its body and it becomes an undead death tyrant. The skull is illuminated by a large floating eye in the center of its mass alongside ten other lights that circle its body, each light taking the place of an eye stalk.
RELATED: Dungeons & Dragons: 10 Most Powerful Monstrosities, Ranked
The biggest difference between a death tyrant and a beholder is its eye cone. Whereas a normal beholder emits an antimagic ray, a death tyrant's central eye emits a negative energy cone. Any creature in its view cannot regain hit points and immediately becomes a zombie if it dies while in the tyrant's view.
Unlike regular mummies, mummy lords remember their past lives and maintain the same personality as when they were living. The ritual that creates a mummy lord requires the humanoid's heart to be removed from the body and stored in a jar. The heart works like a lich's phylactery, preventing the mummy lord from truly being destroyed until the heart is destroyed as well.
The mummy lord has too many legendary and normal actions to list here, but know that it has a frightening glare that can paralyze, a melee attack capable of turning targets into finely ground dust, the ability to turn into a whirlwind of sand immune to all damage, and a 10-foot area of effect stun.
The thought of dying doesn't exactly sit well with beings who live for millenia. That being said, when a dragon becomes a dracolich it leaves behind any connection it once had to its kin: including the dragon gods. Dracoliches maintain all of the abilities they had in life, even their breath weapon. How a dragon without lungs has a breath weapon is a bit of a mystery, but let's just chalk it up to magic.
RELATED: Dungeons & Dragons: 10 Most Powerful Elementals, Ranked
Dracoliches also gain resistance to necrotic damage, immunity to poison damage, and, most importantly, magic resistance.
Death knights are paladins who fell from grace and never sought out their redemption. However, paladins like this don't always become death knights. Instead, their deeds must be so wretched that dark powers seek their corpses out and transform them into evil warriors.
Paladins who become death knights lose the ability to cast healing spells, but gain an affinity for necrotic magic. Death knights can cast a number of powerful spells, but will usually default to swinging their longsword three times for an outstanding amount of single target damage. They can also parry as a reaction, making their AC 26 against a single attack. Lastly, death knights can unleash a hellfire orb once per daywhich functions as a fireball that deals 10d6 fire and 10d6 necrotic damage.
Liches become demiliches if they fail to feed their phylacteries with the proper amount of souls. When a lich transforms into a demilich, its entire body disintegrates leaving behind only its skull. The skull is only imbued with a partial amount of the lich's life force and subsequently falls to the ground. However, if any creature approaches the skull, it will animate and seek to destroy whatever disturbed its eternal rest.
While demiliches lose all of the spells they knew as a lich, they gain a number of powerful abilities in their place. The most dangerous of them is howl which recharges on a d6 roll of 5-6. Howl causes all creatures within 30 feet of the demilich that can hear to succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or instantly drop to 0 hit points.
Nightwalkers cross over from the negative plane: a place unfit for the living. Creatures can reach the negative plane from the shadowfell, but almost all who enter its borders are instantly annihilated by the plane's malevolent energies. Those who aren't immediately destroyed are either incredibly lucky or very gifted spellcasters. When a creature passes over to the negative plane and survives, a nightwalker emerges from the plane to take its place.
RELATED: Dungeons And Dragons: 10 Most Powerful Beasts, Ranked
Nightwalkers have resistance to just about every damage type. A nightwalker's offensive kit consists of an aura around itself that deals passive damage, a melee attack that drains total hit points, and a ranged attack that paralyzes on a failed DC 21 Wisdom save. Most importantly, any creature reduced to 0 hit points by the nightwalker dies and cannot be revived excepting the use of a wish spell.
Liches were once living spellcasters that unlocked the secrets to undeath and performed a horrid ritual to unnaturally extend their lifetimes. To become a lich, a spellcaster rends their soul from their body and stores it in a small container called a phylactery. This device can then be fed the souls of other beings in order to increase the lich's life span.
Due to their long lives, liches have mastered the most dangerous spells both known and unkknown to arcane societies. Additionally, they can paralyze a living creature with a touch and usually carry one or more items of great magical power.
The only thing that could be worse than an immortal plane traveling wizard is an immortal plane traveling wizard with psychic powers and brain-eating tentacles hanging from its face. The path to lichdom isn't something that most mind flayers find intriguing due to their hive-mind like existence alongside an elder brain.
However, a mind flayer who has been cast out or otherwise deprived of its social bonds might devote itself to becoming a spellcaster, and eventually a lich, to carry out its revenge against those responsible.
NEXT: Dungeons And Dragons: 10 Most Powerful Constructs, Ranked
Next The Last Of Us Part 2: Ranking Every Type Of Infected By Strength
Chris Stomberg is an avid gamer of all kinds. Board games, card games, tabletop games, video games: if its a game, it will pique his interest. Chris has written anchor stories for news broadcasts, modules for his D&D group, and is currently working on his first novel. His hobbies outside of gaming include yoga, reading, bar hopping, and spending time with friends old and new.
Here is the original post:
Dungeons And Dragons: 10 Most Powerful Undead, Ranked | TheGamer - TheGamer
- Legacies Season 3 release date and cast latest: When is it coming out? - Monsters and Critics - August 10th, 2020
- 10 Action Movies That Would Be Totally Different If The Characters Had Cell Phones - Screen Rant - August 8th, 2020
- Comics Wire: Indie projects from James Tynion IV and Cullen Bunn. Plus the next chapter of The Dreaming! - SYFY WIRE - August 8th, 2020
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse - The World of Darkness Video Game No One is Talking About - CBR - Comic Book Resources - July 6th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries Season 9: Release Date, Cast, Plot And All Updates Here - World Top Trend - July 6th, 2020
- NikkieTutorials says she was nearly in the 'The Vampire Diaries' - Girlfriend - July 6th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Quiz: Who Said It - Buffy Or Willow? - WhatCulture - July 6th, 2020
- Vampire Diaries Season 9: Release Date, Expected Storyline, Cast And Other Information - Auto Freak - July 5th, 2020
- A Discovery of Witches Season 2: Love story of witch Diana and vampire ... - Next Alerts - July 5th, 2020
- 10 Things That Happened In Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1 That You Completely Forgot About - Screen Rant - July 5th, 2020
- Magic: The Gathering - What to Know About Innistrad's Mighty Vampires - CBR - Comic Book Resources - July 4th, 2020
- The Witcher: 10 Unanswered Questions We Still Have About Higher Vampires - TheGamer - July 4th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Everything The Show Changed From The 1992 Movie - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- 3 things to watch: Binge the entirety of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Stan - News Lagoon - News Lagoon - July 4th, 2020
- Angel: How Doyle Was Supposed To Return (& Why He Didn't) - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Harvey Guilln on with Waititi and Hamill - Exclusive - Looper - July 2nd, 2020
- A 'vampire fish' is spawning in Vermont's waters. Experts say most of them are nothing to worry about - KCTV Kansas City - July 1st, 2020
- NikkieTutorials Reveals She Was Almost Cast In 'The Vampire Diaries'! - Just Jared Jr. - July 1st, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: 5 Ways The Show Changed (& 5 Ways It Stayed The Same) - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Why "Earshot" Was Pulled By The Network - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- New Netflix Show Being Compared To Buffy The Vampire Slayer - We Got This Covered - July 1st, 2020
- What We Do In The Shadows: 5 Differences (& 5 Similarities) Between The Movie & The Show - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- Inside Helen Flanagans 5th birthday party for daughter Matilda with vampire wedding cake, custom crown and - The Sun - July 1st, 2020
- Bleed Them Dry #1: Has the Whole World Gone Blind? - Comic Watch - July 1st, 2020
- Castlevania Season 3, Episode 8 recap: What the Night Brings - Show Snob - July 1st, 2020
- 'What We Do in the Shadows': Revisit Season 2s Funniest Moments - TVInsider - July 1st, 2020
- Breaking News - FX Networks' Critically Acclaimed Comedies, "Archer" and "What We Do in the Shadows," Coming to San Diego... - July 1st, 2020
- Seraph of the End Volume 19 Review - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - July 1st, 2020
- Books to Read This Summer - Charleston City Paper - July 1st, 2020
- V wars Season 2: Chances Of Revival And Current Scenario Of Release - The Digital Wise - July 1st, 2020
- Twilight Saga: Every Movie Ranked From Worst To Best - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- New Twilight Book Adds a Missing Scene That's Always Driven the Author Crazy - MovieWeb - July 1st, 2020
- Vampire myths originated with a real blood disorder - The Conversation CA - June 24th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries Season 9: Fans speculate another season is in the making, after the fina ... - Next Alerts - June 24th, 2020
- Meet the real life vampire who drinks blood and says she's 600-years-old - Daily Star - June 24th, 2020
- When The Vampire diaries creator Julie Plec said she discussed killing Damon instead of Stefan in the end - PINKVILLA - June 24th, 2020
- NOS4A2: The Meaning Behind the Shows Name - Den of Geek UK - June 24th, 2020
- Deadliest Warrior: 10 Best Fights On The Show, Ranked - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Anti-graffiti Coatings And Films Market 2020 Analysis and Precise Outlook -: Johnson Window Films, Integument Technologies, Vampire Optical Coatings,... - June 24th, 2020
- Robert Pattinson Totally Roasted Twilight In The DVD Commentary - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- How THE LOST BOYS Created the Teen Vampire Genre - Nerdist - June 23rd, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries Season 9: Release Date, Plot, Cast And And Every Details! - Auto Freak - June 23rd, 2020
- When 38 year old Ian Somerhalder played the role of a 25 year old Damon Salvatore in The Vampire Diaries - PINKVILLA - June 23rd, 2020
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 5 Times We Felt Bad For Angel (& 5 Times We Hated Him) - Screen Rant - June 23rd, 2020
- Bleed Them Dry: Ninja Vampire Tale Out On Wednesday - 10 Page Preview - Bleeding Cool News - June 23rd, 2020
- Blood soaked vampire series: Strike the Blood- Season 4 - Andover Leader - June 23rd, 2020
- Top 10 Fantasy & Supernatural Shows Based On Books, Ranked (According To IMDb) - Screen Rant - June 23rd, 2020
- A Discovery of Witches Season 2: Will Diana and Mathew get married? - Headlines of Today - June 23rd, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries Season 9 Release Date, Updates, Plot,Cast and news - Next Alerts - June 20th, 2020
- Bon Iver, GRiZ, Beach House, Vampire Weekend & Hundreds Of Other Artists Sign Open Letter To Save Independent Venues - Magnetic Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- A Discovery of Witches Season 2: Every News You Should Know: Half Witches, Vampires And A Long Adventure I ... - Pop Culture Times - June 20th, 2020
- Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise's Co-Star Felt 'Really Awkward' Replacing This Actor After His Death - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 20th, 2020
- Buffy and bucket hats: why 1997 has taken over fashion - The Guardian - June 18th, 2020
- What We Do In The Shadows boss lifts lid on cliffhanger finale and teases celebrity cameos in season 3 - The Irish Sun - June 18th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Things About Vampires It Got Right (& 5 Things It Got Wrong) - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Unconventional Vampire Movies to Stream this Week - Bloody Disgusting - June 17th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Times It Proved To Be The Best Teenage Vampire Saga (& 5 Times It Fell Short) - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 10 Outfits That Show How Katherine's Style Changed - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- 9 Scenes From "The Twilight Saga" That Are Genuinely Terrifying And 8 That Are Unintentionally Hilarious - BuzzFeed - June 17th, 2020
- Skyrim: 5 Ways Vampire Is The Best (& 5 Werewolf Is Better) - TheGamer - June 17th, 2020
- The Horror Collective Set Sails With Justin Dix's Vampire Creature-Feature BLOOD VESSEL This July On VOD + On Demand - The Fan Carpet - June 17th, 2020
- What We Do In the Shadows season 2 review: You won't regret sinking your teeth into this bloody good caper - Firstpost - June 17th, 2020
- When will The Vampire Diaries Season 9 be published? Who will be the Cast at Season 9? - News Lagoon - June 17th, 2020
- Exclusive Clip: Horror-Comedy VAMPIRE DAD in Theaters & VOD June 16th - Dread Central - June 17th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Every Main Character Who Almost Died Sooner - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- 19 in development PlayStation 5 games not announced at the PS5 event - TechGeek - June 17th, 2020
- Never Say You Can't Survive: Don't Be Afraid to Go on Lots of First Dates With Story Ideas - tor.com - June 17th, 2020
- Vampires Never Left: A History of Vampires in Young Adult Fiction - tor.com - June 12th, 2020
- When The Vampire Diaries creator Julie Plec revealed the Salvatore brothers almost had a different last name - PINKVILLA - June 12th, 2020
- When The Vampire Diaries Paul Wesley revealed he wanted Stefan and Damon to die and find peace together - PINKVILLA - June 12th, 2020
- NOS4A2 Viewing Guide: What You Need to Know Going into Season 2 - Anglophenia - June 12th, 2020
- Dracula: When Will Season 2 Release On Netflix? - NationEditions - June 12th, 2020
- 16 Feel Good Fictional Books To Read - The Nerd Daily - June 12th, 2020
- Legacies Season 3 Netflix Scheduled Release Date, Spoilers And Other Updates. How Many Episodes Are There ... - The Global Coverage - June 12th, 2020
- What We Do in the Shadows: The Vampiric Council Explained - Den of Geek UK - June 11th, 2020
- The upcoming vampire RPG launching later this year on PS5 and Xbox Series X along with Xbox One, PS4, and PC. - Finance Rewind - June 11th, 2020
- Here's How You Can Get A Shout-Out From Members Of The Vampire Diaries Cast - Spin1038 - June 11th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Every Failed Spin-off (& Why They Didn't Happen) - Screen Rant - June 11th, 2020
- Hops and Box Office Flops: 'VAMPIRE'S KISS - Caged Uncaged' - Revenge of The Fans - June 11th, 2020
- This Week in Comedy Podcasts: A Couples Therapy Revolution - Vulture - June 11th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero