Director Igor Legarretas Spanish vampire fantasy dramaAll the Moons (Todas las Lunas), opens to the sounds of Spain in the grip of a civil war. The year is 1876, and the Carlist Wars that began in 1833 when King Ferdinand VIIs death ignited a power struggle for succession to the throne, are now drawing to a close.
The creature of the night is symbolic of immortality that dwarfs the life span of humans. Using the carnage of war as a backdrop to the opening of the story, Legarreta positions the vampire as a tragically romantic figure wandering amidst the ruins of human decay. When we contextualize it in this way humanity is the rubble; the vampires are the scurrying rats.
Opening with the bombing of an orphanage that severely injuresa young nameless girl (Haizea Carneros), who is later given the name Amaia, the tragic tone never lifts. A mysterious woman, Madre (Itziar Ituo) emerges out of the night and hears the desperate and fearful plea for help.
Mistaken for an angel, she warns the wounded girl that she must want it from the heart. Accepting Madres offer, a kiss heals her wounds, but shes told from now on she must avoid the sunlight. The woman also explains that just as she has saved her, so shell one day have the choice to do the same for someone.
Things do not go as planned, and their union is cut short when soldiers force them to flee. Separated, Amaia is forced to learn about her new nature and how to fend for herself on her own, but then she finds shelter with Candido (Josean Bengoetxea), a man who lives in the shadow of his own tragedy.
Tomas AlfredsonsLet the Right One In(Lt den rtte komma, 2008) remains the last greatvampirefilm. For the first time since then, a worthy challenger emerges to end the drought. Its prudent to exercise caution because whileAll the Moonslooks likely to become a festival darling, having been awarded best director and cinematography at the 25thedition of the Fantasia Film Festival, it could still fly below the radar.
A muted response would complement its muted narrative nature. It successfully explores the mythology and nature of the vampire, touching upon philosophical ideas that define its individuality within the sub-genre. If it fails to make the same mark that Alfredsons film did in 2008, itll be a grave pity, but it suggests that we should direct our gaze to Europe for the eventual successor.
Legarreta demonstrates command of his craft not only as a technician but as a storyteller. He exercises a precise control of intent thats never compromised by runaway themes and ideas. He and his co-writer Jon Sagal could be accused of missing opportunities to explore the themes more thoroughly, but the pair understand its necessary to make choices.
They constrict the focus of the narrative, implying themes and ideas are present. Otherness and the prejudice of fear are not literally addressed; instead, expect that the audiences awareness and knowledge of genre and stories can turn these spectres of ideas into something tangible.
Remainingminimalist in its narrative structure, its driven forward by the emotions of the characters resonating with the audience. Its a letter from the heart of the storytellers about the tragedy of their characters, who somehow manage to find heartfelt meaning in their sad life experiences.
The simple premise of saving a life is delicately realised, and is not taken literally. Rather, the storytellers are attentive to the idea that the metaphorical death, and what the people we meet bring to our lives, is a transformational experience.Its a core idea that could have been the concept for a short film, butAll the Moons works as a feature-length story.
The moments have time to breathe, and one sequence where Amaia seeks sanctuary in the wilderness is a silent short film within the feature. Divided into chapters, it has a transitory pace, slicing through time to pick out the moments that come to define her life story. All the Moons is not meditative. It takes an observational approach to emphasise the need to simply be with the character, asking us to feel first, think later.
Teasing whether shell give in to her vampiric nature, were asked to consider the vampires true nature. Traditionally its the werewolf that represents duality.All the Moonschallenges this, continuing on fromChristopher Walkenscivilised vampire, who controls his predatory urges inAbel FerrarasThe Addiction(1995).
Legarreta introduces the idea of dominant and submissive personalities, considering how the human side could be submissive to the dominant vampiric nature, or if theres a tussle between the two for dominance. If were vulnerable to unstable emotional responses, and as C.G Jung wrote about contradictory first and second personalities, then the vampire is a more complex being than one transformed, their humanity lost forever.
Amaia cannot detach herself from her humanity, maybe as a result of her separation from Madre, and making a home with Candido. He keeps the flame of her human self burning, and Amaias twist of fate forces us to consider how both the mind and the body must transform.
The vampire is representative of our desire to escape death.All the Moonsbeautifully captures the tragic figure of the vampire as a cursed creature. Amaia is scared of dying, but she comes to understand that you cannot be alive if you are able to see all the moons.
Were anxious about death, as we should be, but without an end, life loses its meaning. Vampire films are a statement that our fear is a blessing, not a curse. These stories penetrate the infantile fantasy of immortality.All the Moonsis a tender story about wanting to be loved and understood, to be allowed to live and to die. Who of us cannot identify with these simplest of desires?
- "What We Do in the Shadows" revels in the fecklessness of vampires who fail upward - Salon - September 5th, 2021
- Tony Lindsay Returns to Speculative Fiction With 'Melody Knight a Vampire's Tale' - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2021
- When Will Vampire Diaries Co-Creator Julie Plec Acknowledge the Horrible Treatment of Bonnie Bennett? - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- LA By Night, the best damn vampire show around, is returning for its final season - The Next Web - September 5th, 2021
- Psychology of friendship: the rise of the social vampire - Stylist Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Sharkmob Explains Where 'Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt' Fits in the Series Canon - Newsweek - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Revenant', 'Interview With a Vampire', 'The Patriot', and More Get Many of Their Props From the Same Place - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Blade Reboot Director Explains How The Vampire Hunter Is Being Handled For The MCU - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- Meet The Ferat Vampire, A Modern Interpretation Of A Classic By Skoda - CarScoops - September 5th, 2021
- Bonnie Tyler hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart" is about vampires - Boing Boing - September 5th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3: What Joining the Vampire Council Means for the Roommates - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- From 'Interviews With Some Vampires' to 'Wellington Paranormal' - The Evolution of 'What We Do in the Shadows' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- [Review] Glenn Danzig's 'Death Rider in the House of Vampires' Has All the Charm...and Flaws of 'Verotika' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- Dracula fans furious after being told they cant see the vampires grave at North Yorks church... - The US Sun - August 24th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampires: Inside the Making of What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 - Rolling Stone - August 24th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 Prepares For Colin Robinson's 100th Birthday - Den of Geek - August 24th, 2021
- Edge Evokes the Shadow of The Blood and the Vampire on SmackDown - Last Word on Baseball - August 24th, 2021
- Film Review: ALL THE MOONS: The Best Vampire Film in Years [Fantasia 2021] - FilmBook - August 24th, 2021
- New "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" YA books will focus on Willow's kid being Chosen - Boing Boing - August 24th, 2021
- Why Stephanie Meyers Specifically Wrote That All Vampires In 'Twilight' Must Be White - YourTango - August 24th, 2021
- 'Interview With the Vampire' Is Coming to a Small Screen Near You - Esquire - July 26th, 2021
- Blood Red Sky Pits a Vampire Against Hijackers and Almost Lives Up to That Killer Concept - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampire AMC Series Taps Mad Men, Game of Thrones Alum Alan Taylor to Direct (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3 Teaser Peddles a Nice Bone, an Evil Bucket, and More - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 6 Vampire Movies Are Dominating Netflix This Weekend - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- Alan Taylor to direct Interview with the Vampire - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer quiz: Get full marks and you're the chosen one - The Tab - July 26th, 2021
- Rules Vampires Have To Follow In Every Twilight Movie - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Vampire Slayers Unite: Kate Beckinsale Wanted to Mash Together the Worlds of 'Blade' and 'Underworld' - Bloody Disgusting - July 26th, 2021
- The Most Brutal Deaths In Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- No money to bury child victims of 'Vampire Killer' - The Star, Kenya - July 26th, 2021
- Nicki Swift The Real Reason David Boreanaz Left Buffy The Vampire Slayer 19 hours ago - Nicki Swift - July 26th, 2021
- The Untold Truth Of Interview With The Vampire - Looper - July 11th, 2021
- Is Cofidis a team of vampires? - CyclingTips - July 11th, 2021
- For female vampire bats, an equal chance to rule the roost - The Ohio State University News - July 11th, 2021
- Fairer sex: Colonies of female-only vampire bats live in equal societies - The Independent - July 11th, 2021
- What Happened To The Cast Of Buffy The Vampire Slayer? - Looper - July 11th, 2021
- New track by Vampire Weekends Ezra Koenig features in I Think You Should Leave - NME - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Best Im Dead And I Know It Moments In Vampire Horror Movies - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- Dave Bautista is Allegedly Looking to Do a Vampire Movie - TVOvermind - July 11th, 2021
- 'Near Dark' Is A Uniquely American Masterpiece Of An Unheralded Cinematic Subgenre: The Vampire Neo-Western - Decider - July 11th, 2021
- Let the Right One In TV Series Will Include Multiple Vampires - ComicBook.com - July 11th, 2021
- The skeleton of a 'vampire' discovered has revealed its secrets - Gentside - July 11th, 2021
- Microsoft announces Redfall, a vampire shooter from the team behind Dishonored - The Verge - June 14th, 2021
- Vampire: The Masquerade coming to Roll20 with new 5th edition module - Polygon - June 14th, 2021
- Some Thoughts On Vampire The Masquerade: Winter's Teeth #6 - Bleeding Cool News - June 14th, 2021
- Ex-Vampire Weekend Rostam talks oppression, mushrooms, Bruce - Los Angeles Times - June 14th, 2021
- AMC's Interview with the Vampire Series Is Making Some Big Changes from the Book - TVweb - June 14th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire: Louis will be played by a black actor in the new adaptation of the novel Explica .co - Explica - June 14th, 2021
- Revisiting the Disappointingly Brief History of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Video Game Adaptations - Bloody Disgusting - June 14th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire TV Series Reveals a Big Twist to Anne Rice's Novel - MovieWeb - June 14th, 2021
- Scarlett Moffatt insists vampires walk among us and is convinced Richard Madeley could be one of them... - The Sun - June 14th, 2021
- Arkanes New Fantasy IP is Reportedly Called Omen; Vampire-Related and Coming Next Year Rumour - GamingBolt - May 21st, 2021
- Jakobs Wife is an amazing vampire marriage therapy mash-up you can stream at home right now - San Antonio Current - May 8th, 2021
- Van Helsing's final season wants vampires to 'pay the price' in deadly teaser for Episode 5 - SYFY WIRE - May 8th, 2021
- V Rising is a vampire action-adventure game where you get your own castle - Destructoid - May 8th, 2021
- Resident Evil Village is more schlocky B-movie than Tall Vampire Lady thirst trap - British GQ - May 8th, 2021
- Candice King Wants to Reprise The Vampire Diaries Role on Legacies - TV Fanatic - May 8th, 2021
- 'The Vampire Diaries': Fans Love to Visit the Real-Life Mystic Grill Inspired By the Hit Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 8th, 2021
- So, I Just Watched "Twilight" For The First Time, And I Have 21 Very Important Questions - BuzzFeed - May 8th, 2021
- Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley Say They Fought At the End of "The Vampire Diaries" - Seventeen.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything to know about PRP therapy, the Vampire Facial for your eyes - image.ie - May 8th, 2021
- This Week in Anime - Is Mars Red Too High Brow? - Anime News Network - May 8th, 2021
- Vampire facials spa owner linked to HIV cases faces 24 charges - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - April 23rd, 2021
- The Boys From County Hell Puts Its Own Bite on the Vampire Genre - Gizmodo - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys from County Hell Review: Irish Vampires and a Plucky Horror Comedy - IndieWire - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys From County Hell Review: Irish Vampire-Comedy Tries to Reinvent the Myth - ComicBook.com - April 23rd, 2021
- How Vampire Weekend guided me into fatherhood - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys from County Hell is an Irish vampire plague based in roots and friendship rot - Kansas City Pitch - April 23rd, 2021
- Are Resident Evil Villages Vampires and Werewolves the Future of the Franchise? - Den of Geek - April 23rd, 2021
- The spookiest places to visit in Scotland from haunted castles to vampire infested graveyards - Daily Record - April 23rd, 2021
- Did It Happen On The Vampire Diaries Or The Originals? New - WhatCulture - April 23rd, 2021
- 'Jakob's Wife' Takes On Marital and Patriarchal Standards With A Vampire Premise About A Woman's Awakening From the Mundane - Substream Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Are We Attracted to Vampires? Berkeley High Jacket - berkeleyhighjacket.com - April 5th, 2021
- Review: Hunted by Sarah Biglow and Molly Zenk - The Nerd Daily - April 5th, 2021
- Continuous Vampire Attack: The AMM Wars Are Getting Interesting With Integral - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - April 5th, 2021
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Hardest Cordelia Quiz On The Internet! - WhatCulture - April 5th, 2021
- Hawk and Rev: Vampire Slayers Watch Party Will Slay You! - Film Threat - April 5th, 2021
- "9 Best Vampire Themed Slots - Online Gambling for Real Money - BestUSCasinos.org - April 5th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 Details Teased at PaleyFest /Film - /FILM - April 5th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero