In 2013, Kim Kardashian made headlines after posting aselfie of her bloodied face, hash-tagged with the formerly unknown term Vampire Facial. Fast forward six years, and the procedure also known as platelet-rich plasma (PRP) microneedling has become a popular cure-all to even skin tone, lessen the appearance of wrinkles, shrink pores and rejuvenate dull skin. The extreme facial achieves these effects by combining the healing properties of blood plasma, with the benefits of microneedling, a harsher version of microdermabrasion that uses thin needles to puncture the skin and stimulate collagen growth.
I decided to give PRP microneedling a shot in order to fade dark spots on my cheeks, an unfortunate leftover of teenage years spent picking at blemishes. At 24-years-old, Im not worried about wrinkles but the prospect of plumper, glowing skin certainly appealed to me. Though I did my fair share of research before booking my appointment, a series of late night Googling sessions failed to prepare me for the reality of the procedure. A few things had become clear as I left the facial with a fully numb face: microneedling is akin to getting your face tattooed minus the ink. Downtime is indeed required and results dont reveal themselves for about five days.
For context, the only skincare treatments Id previously tried were soothing and needle-free. I headed to BodyFactory Skin Care under the foolish impression that any redness would disappear within 24 hours (a misinformed metric I read online) and that I would wake up with the skin of a supermodel. When my aesthetician asked how well I tolerate needles before applying numbing cream to my entire face, I knew this experience was going to be far more intense than my cheery, naive self thought when deciding to try it (Im going to look amazing, I texted a friend earlier that day). Read on for what to expect from the procedure.
It goes without saying that anyone scared of needles should not try this out. The aesthetician drew my blood (you are dehydrated, she correctly informed me) and placed the vial in a centrifuge for about 10 minutes to separate my plasma, the liquid gold, from my blood cells. As the plasma soup was concocted, she disinfected my skin with antibacterial liquid and what smelled like rubbing alcohol, followed by liberal application of numbing cream. The centrifuge beeped and I was ready.
A major lesson: plasma is translucent orange, not red. (With this in mind, Im unsure how Kim Kardashian achieved such a horrific photo during her vampire facial.) My aesthetician transferred the liquid into three syringes and switched on the microneedling pen, which buzzes and operates essentially like a tattoo machine. While letting the plasma drip onto my face, she ran the pen over my forehead to start. Thanks to the numbing cream, the only area that hurt was along the hairline it felt like coarse sandpaper being rubbed into the skin. She continued onto my cheeks, upper lip, chin and nose for what felt like about 15 minutes.
After completing the microneedling, the aesthetician smoothed the remaining plasma onto my face and instructed me to leave the bodily serum on until the end of the day a caveat I was not expecting. She gave me a mirror and I inspected my red, pin-pricked face. It looked like I had a bad sunburn and felt like it too. The plasma had dried to a seal (it works its magic by settling into the tiny holes made by microneedling), making my face look and feel flaky and tight. It stung and felt slightly itchy. I wasnt crazy about the prospect of riding the very public subway home but Ill do anything for a good story.
Before; Immediately After; That Night
Dont expect to hit the town the night of your treatment. The procedure requires at least a two days of downtime, depending on how self-conscious you are. I worked from home for the rest of the day and, after washing the plasma off my face with water as instructed, promptly went to bed. Things you cant do after microneedling: use any acids, retinols or exfoliators on the treated area for the next four to five days, expose yourself to direct sunlight (you must wear sunscreen outside for the next week), go swimming or exercise for 24 hours. Though its permitted to wear makeup the day after the procedure, I reluctantly decided to go bare until my redness subsided. Youre allowed to return to your regular skincare routine after one week before then, stick with gentle moisturizers and cleansers and avoid products with active ingredients such as medicated anti-acne creams.
Day Two; Day Three
When I woke up the next morning, I bounded to the mirror expecting to see a rejuvenated face. Alas, my skin was still red, albeit less than the night before. It also felt dry and tight, a normal reaction. I washed my face with La Roche-Posay Toleraine Cleanser, moisturized with rosehip oil and plenty of sunscreen before popping on a pair of oversized shades and heading out. That evening, I noticed patches of flaking skin on my cheeks and chin. The aesthetician had warned me about shedding, a natural byproduct of the skins healing process. It took everything in me to refrain from picking at the amphibian-like patches.
On the morning of day three, the redness has significantly subsided. My jawline, upper lip and chin had returned to a fairly normal shade overnight, but my cheeks and forehead were still rosy. However, I was still peeling more so than the night before. My cheeks, forehead, nose and chin were all rough with flakes. I imagined fresh, dewy skin underneath begging to emerge from the scaly shell of my face.
Day Four; Day Five
By day four, my cheeks were mostly smooth but peeling had progressed to my jaw. My nose and forehead, especially the area between my eyebrows, continued to flake. Despite the peeling process, I was beginning to see results after moisturizing, my skin did look smoother and more even-toned. All redness had subsided save for natural looking rosiness on the apples of my cheeks.
On day five, I had slightly dry skin but no more noticeable peeling. Results were continuing to show: my makeup-free skin looked dewy even under the fluorescent lighting of my office. On day six, I felt confident enough to eschew makeup again despite my initial hesitation to forego foundation immediately following the procedure.
PRP microneedling is the definition of tough love skincare. You literally wound the skin, causing your face to shed, hoping that any pain endured will be worth it. Was it effective? In short, yes. My skin had definitely improved in texture, tone and radiance by day five. I imagine initial results would be even more dramatic for someone with serious skin concerns.
Despite dermatologist recommendations to undergo multiple PRP microneedling sessions to reap its full benefits, I wouldnt book the procedure again. The downtime was a major drawback for someone as busy as me. Kim K even said she would pass on another vampire facial in a now-deleted post on her website the reality star wrote, It was honestly the most painful thing ever! Its the one treatment that Ill never do again. That being said, I would recommend the procedure to anyone looking to remedy major discoloration (such as acne scarring) or a dull complexion.
If you are looking to go under the needle, head to BodyFactory Skin Care to book your appointment.
Continue reading here:
I Tried the Kim Kardashian Vampire Facial Here's What Happened - HYPEBAE
- 11 'Bad' Vampire TV Shows And Movies You Should Still Absolutely Watch - Gizmodo Australia - January 18th, 2020
- White asparagus: The vampire in the garden - Iowa City Press-Citizen - January 18th, 2020
- Bears, vampire flies, and gut-busting cuisine are perils Harry and Meghan will face in new home - The Union Journal - January 18th, 2020
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 Release Date, Gameplay and All You Need To Know - Otakukart News - January 18th, 2020
- Look of the Week: Buffy Summers' birthday wear - SYFY WIRE - January 18th, 2020
- Vampire Diaries Turns 10: How Real-Life Plot Twists Shaped Everything From the Love Triangle to the Final Death - Sunriseread - January 18th, 2020
- From vampire facials to veganism: 9 things we learned from The Goop Lab with Gwyneth Paltrow - VOGUE India - January 18th, 2020
- Legacies - The Originals star hints at another return - digitalspy.com - January 18th, 2020
- PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS Actor Sean Whalen will star in the Vampire Thriller BELOW EVERYONE - GeekTyrant - NewsDio - January 18th, 2020
- Where did the urban legend of the dangerous Australian drop bear come from? - ABC News - January 18th, 2020
- Vampire Weekend - Enmore Theatre, Sydney 9/1/20 - Music Feeds - January 16th, 2020
- 'Morbius' trailer: Jared Leto's vampire is out for blood - New York Post - January 14th, 2020
- 20 TV Shows To Watch If You Miss The Vampire Diaries | TheThings - TheThings - January 14th, 2020
- 10 Best Lyrics In The Buffy The Vampire Slayer Musical Episode - Screen Rant - January 14th, 2020
- You'll Never Get 100% On This Buffy The Vampire Slayer Quotes Quiz! - WhatCulture - January 14th, 2020
- The Vampire Weekend "Contra" is ten years old - The Media Hq - January 14th, 2020
- 10 Years of "Contra," the Album that Proved Vampire Weekend Were Here to Stay - Popdust - January 14th, 2020
- 10 best lyrics in the musical episode of The Buffy The Vampire Slayer - NewsDio - January 14th, 2020
- Who Turned Dracula Into A Vampire (In Original Books & Netflix Show) - Screen Rant - January 13th, 2020
- Morbius': First Look at Jared Leto as Pseudo Vampire Sparks Im So Hyped! Reactions (Photo) - TheWrap - January 13th, 2020
- Short Comedy Horror The Early House Finds Fresh Blood in Vampire Stories - HeadStuff.org - January 13th, 2020
- Exclusive: Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig on the bushfires and what must happen next - Beat Magazine - January 13th, 2020
- Vampire The Masquerade Coteries of New York PC Full Version - Satire Gaming - January 13th, 2020
- Donald Trump's wooden 'statue of liberty' that showed him as two-faced 'vampire' burnt to the ground - MEAWW - January 10th, 2020
- MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE Trailer Hits Next Week - Dread Central - January 10th, 2020
- Netflix's Dracula: Why The Vampire Fears The Cross | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - January 10th, 2020
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 2 Will Guest Star Mark Hamill [TCA 2020] - /FILM - January 10th, 2020
- ABC Has Ordered a New Vampire Series Called THE BRIDES From the Creator of CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA - GeekTyrant - January 10th, 2020
- Netflixs Dracula Has A Strange Relationship With The Vampires Sexuality - Screen Rant - January 10th, 2020
- Riverdale showrunner is developing a vampire soap about the Brides of Dracula - The Daily Dot - January 10th, 2020
- Mark Hamill Is Heading to What We Do in the Shadows Season 2 - Fort Leavenworth Lamp - January 10th, 2020
- V Wars Season 2 Release Date, Cast, Plot, And Exciting Fan Theories - Pop Culture Times - January 10th, 2020
- Legacies Season 3 Was Just Renewed And Fans Know Exactly What They Want To See - CinemaBlend - January 9th, 2020
- Vampire | Red Dead Wiki | Fandom - January 9th, 2020
- Anxiously-Awaited Vampire/Heroin Addiction Movie 'Claimed' Set to Premiere Next Week, One Showing is in Hartford - RiverBender.com - January 9th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries from All the Reunions at the 2020 Golden Globes - E! online Italiano - January 9th, 2020
- When is V Wars season 2 released on Netflix? Whats going to happen? - Honk News - January 9th, 2020
- VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE - CHAPTERS First Impression: A Vampire Narrative Rich In Lore And Bloody Action - GameTyrant - January 7th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Things That Were Changed From The Book Series (& 5 Things That Stayed The Same) - Screen Rant - January 7th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The 10 Worst Things Caroline Ever Did, Ranked - Screen Rant - January 7th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movies You Need To See In 2020 - Kerrang! - January 7th, 2020
- The Hardest Buffy The Vampire Slayer Quiz Ever - WhatCulture - January 7th, 2020
- Vampire Weekend impresses with epic Melbourne gig - The Age - January 7th, 2020
- Nina Dobrev Reunion With Vampire Diaries Cast on New Year's Eve - Dankanator - January 7th, 2020
- The Best Horror Movies to Watch in the Dead of Winter - Lifehacker - January 7th, 2020
- Margot Robbie Has Confirmed That Jared Leto's Joker Will Not Be In Birds Of Prey - Kerrang! - January 6th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Reasons Why Katherine Is The Superior Doppelganger (& 5 Why Its Elena) - Screen Rant - January 5th, 2020
- Dracula viewers revel in horrific violence as vampire beheads nun and rips face off in gory new drama - The Sun - January 5th, 2020
- V Wars Season 2 On Netflix? Release Date, Cast And Everything A Fan Should Know - The Digital Weekly - January 5th, 2020
- 6 venomous mammals that roam, fly and crawl on planet Earth - Inverse - January 5th, 2020
- V Wars Season 2: Official Green Light By Netflix? Air Date, Cast And Theories - Trending News Buzz - January 4th, 2020
- DNA analysis revealed the identity of 19th century Connecticut vampire - Ars Technica - January 1st, 2020
- Are vampires real? The origins and historical theories behind the enduring myth and Bram Stoker's Dracula - inews - January 1st, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: 10 Quotes That Were Totally '90s - Screen Rant - January 1st, 2020
- Shout out to All the Dystopian Futures We Avoided (or Didnt) in 2019 - The Mary Sue - January 1st, 2020
- Ian Somerhalder on his workout routine and his daily tea ceremony - British GQ - January 1st, 2020
- Fantasy, Vampires and Grace: An Interview with JB Toner - National Catholic Register - December 29th, 2019
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Worst Things Damon Did To Stefan (& 5 Stefan Did To Him) - Screen Rant - December 29th, 2019
- Ezra Koenig Explains The Southern Roots At The Heart Of Vampire Weekend's "Harmony Hall" - Genius - December 29th, 2019
- My Chevy Bolt EV Sat Unplugged in the Cold: Here's What I Learned - Torque News - December 28th, 2019
- Mark Zuckerberg is an alien, and other wild conspiracy theories from 2019 - Hindustan Times - December 28th, 2019
- V-Wars : what series is it from a show vampire original ? - The Saxon - December 26th, 2019
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Gift guide - Screen Rant - December 26th, 2019
- Vampire: The Masquerade Coteries of New York Review Undead Confusion - GamingBolt - December 25th, 2019
- The Vampire Diaries: 10 Shows & Movies Where The Cast Has Been In Since It Ended - Screen Rant - December 24th, 2019
- 8 TV Shows Worth Streaming On Netflix As You Wait For The Witcher Season 2 - CinemaBlend - December 24th, 2019
- The 10 Weirdest Science Studies of 2019 - Livescience.com - December 23rd, 2019
- The Vampire Diaries: 10 Couples That Would Have Made A Lot Of Sense (But Never Got Together) - Screen Rant - December 22nd, 2019
- The Vampire Diaries: Ranking The Parents Of Mystic Falls From Worst To Best - Screen Rant - December 22nd, 2019
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The 10 Most Selfless Things Buffy Has Ever Done - Screen Rant - December 22nd, 2019
- V Wars on Netflix: Its bloody good, but not just because of the vampires! (Spoiler-Free Review) - So Many Shows - December 22nd, 2019
- Legacies Season 3: Possible Renewal! The Drama Series Is Possibly Up For Renewed Third Season! Release Dat ... - Trending News Buzz - December 22nd, 2019
- Vatican's 'vampire' prints of rarely seen 20th century art on show - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - December 18th, 2019
- Vatican's 'vampire' prints of rarely seen 20th century art on show - BusinessWorld Online - December 18th, 2019
- Alab Pilipinas gives Mono Vampire its first taste of defeat in ABL 10 - ABS-CBN News - December 18th, 2019
- This life-threatening disease has all the signs we've come to associate with vampires - Firstpost - December 18th, 2019
- A 'Vampire Facial' is a new way to get a facelift without surgery - and it works - RSVP Live - December 18th, 2019
- Vatican's 'vampire' prints of rarely seen 20th century art on show - Reuters - December 17th, 2019
- From The Vampire Diaries to HSMTMTS, Teen TV Had a Groundbreaking Decade - Paste Magazine - December 13th, 2019
- Cults Of The Blood Gods For Vampire: The Masquerade Is Coming To Kickstarter - TheGamer - December 13th, 2019
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero