The team has taken to wearing masks, concealing their fangs.
During the worlds biggest bike race, Instagrams cycling meme accounts are operating at their peak. Theres a fertile array of memeable momentsOmi & Opi signs, daring attacks, Cavendishs return and a greater audience invested in the sport.The usual suspects are all there Anakin and Padm, Disaster Girl, Anthony Adams Rubbing Hands with cycling-related text over the top.
This year, though, theres an addition to the cycling meme canon that has come out of left-field, steadily building in momentum over the past few weeks to become the question on everyones lips:
Are the riders of Team Cofidis vampires?
Lets back up a bit. Team Cofidis, a French WorldTeam, has been in existence since 1997, with notable alumni including a pre-diagnosis Lance Armstrong and a mid-doping David Millar. Since its inception it has held a title sponsorship from the French money-lending firm, Cofidis, which, since 1982, has specialised in giving consumer loans over the phone or internet.
In 2020, Team Cofidis stepped back to the top tier of the sport after almost a decade as a second-division Pro Continental team. In that year, Guillaume Martin was an animator of the Tour de France, ultimately finishing in 11th place on the GC, an improvement on 12th in 2019.
In the lead-up to last years Tour, the (very excellent) CyclingTips contributor Tom Owen began collecting Panini stickers with the riders of the peloton on them. He then wrote an (also very excellent) article explaining what he thought the riders looked like. Of Guillaume Martin, he had this to say:
Guillaume Martin is the proprietor of an eerily quiet roadside B&B. During check-in you glance down at the gleaming brass bell on the reception desk and, just for a moment, it seems like he has no reflection. Dont be foolish, you think to yourself, Guillaume Martin is not a vampire.
If this is the origin of the Team Cofidis vampire legend, its understandable why. With his brooding charisma, elfin features, and expressive eyebrows, Martin certainly has the look of a guy that could be cast as a vampire in an off-season, off-Broadway play.
His temperament seems to match. Hes one of the pelotons intellectuals he holds a masters in philosophy, is the published author of a book of philosophy called Socrates on a Bike, and dabbles in playwrighting.
Im not saying hes a vampire. But Im also not saying that hes not a vampire.
Tom Owens initial observation planted a seed which, a year later, has blossomed into a beautiful tree laden with fruity memes.
Instagram meme account @i_simp_alaphilippe is at the fore of the #cofidisisvampires movement. Since May, the account has steadily built a mythos in support of the joke, which has gradually become more surreal in its evolution.
Over the last couple of weeks, other cycling meme accounts have jumped on board, furthering the #cofidisisvampires narrative arc.
@meme_handups posits that Lachlan Morton is a vampire hunter, and his Alt Tour is a cover for a France-wide quest:
Mortons not the only vampire hunter looking for Cofidis riders: Van Wiggins is on the case, too:
@froomesinhaler has found a picture of Cofidiss spooky abandoned castle, and also has a big scoop involving the teams development squad:
@chapeaubidon has created a Wikipedia page with the teams fake ( or is it?) back story:
Both the team and its riders are relentlessly taggedin posts, and plenty plenty of people have been left very confused.
Team Cofidis management has played it straight so far, making no comment either in support or denial of the allegation that they are a cycling team made up of literal vampires. Guillaume Martin has, to the best of my knowledge, also failed to bite.
But Simon Geschke has addressed the issue head-on, in a paid Cameo video:
Youll note that he denies being a vampire, and provides a reflection in a mirror as proof. But the bed headboards look vampiric as hell, and he would say that hes not a vampire, wouldnt he? So take that denial with as much of a pinch of salt as you like.
Is Team Cofidis a squad of vampires? I mean, no. Theyve got a massive sun on their jersey, for starters.
But in this moment of the internet doing its absolute, ludicrous best work, isnt it fun to pretend?
For background, where are you located?
As far as i_simp_alaphilippe can be said to be located anywhere, we are merely a figment of your collective imaginations, buried in the uncharted depths of the human heart and the darkest recesses of mankinds psyche.
I can trace the #cofidisisvampires hashtag back to May is this when you first started posting about it?
The first use of #cofidisisvampires in the public realm, beyond the hushed whispers and secret glances exchanged between true believers, occurredin May, when Victor LaFays victory in Stage 8 of the Giro dItalia confirmed our suspicions that #cofidisisvampires.
What is the #cofidisisvampires ecosystem?
The group to whom you refer is known as the League of Extraordinary OCMemeurs:
We are a brother-and-sisterhood of brilliant, talented, and modest cycling memersdedicated to uncovering the truth about #cofidisisvampires and sometimes insulting Mathieu van der Poels fictional, yet-unborn child.
Is the origin of the meme fromTom Owens CyclingTips article?
The origin of #cofidisisvampires is undoubtedly centuries old and shrouded in mystery, but yes, the first recorded mention of the phenomenon in the modern era occurred in your own publication, when a traveller stumbled upon a Bed & Breakfast owned by Guillaume Martin and noticed that he did not appear to have a reflection.
I pondered on this notion for more than a year and I found more questions than answers: Had I ever seen Guillaume Martins reflection? Had anyone? If someone claimed to, wouldnt they almost certainly be lying? How do I know for sure that a French cycling team is not in fact a coven of mythical monsters that descends from their macabre and melancholy castle in the depths of the night to prey upon the blood of innocent villagers?
In lieuof negative proof and reason, my only option was to reject facts and sense and indulge my imagination in its wild flights of fancy.
Guillaume Martin, on the evidence before us, is an apparent vampire. But which Cofidis team member, based on your research, leads the coven?
I will divulge that we believe Guillaume Martin and Simon Geschke to be the elected Elders, but we have remaining questions regarding the structure of the coven and revealing what we do know could put our field agents at risk.
Which is the oldest of the Cofidis vampires?
While we are familiar with the current, publicly visiblemembers of the team and some of their subordinates, we have not yet traced the bloodlines back to the Originals, though we are working on it.
Have you gotten an official denial from Cofidis management that the team is vampires, or is Geschkesentirelyunconvincing, vampiric Cameo performance the closest to an official acknowledgement of the memes existence that youve received?
All we have is Simon Geschkesclearlystaged and heavily edited denial. If you look at the video, you can easily see his fangs, his cape on top of his Victorian armoire, the coffins on the ground behind the untouched beds, and the shimmer that indicates vampiric magic when he claims to show his reflection. He ends the video by drinking blood, which he claims is cherry juice, as if that were a thing. It is all precisely what a vampire would say a textbook and fraudulentdenial.
Cofidiss silence speaks volumes and any official denials would be met with heavy skepticism and doubt. We need definitive proof that they are not vampires and should they provide it, we will remain adamantand steadfast in our refusal to believe it.
@meme_handups is reporting that Lachlan Morton is, in fact, a vampire hunter, and the Alt Tour is a cover for a nation-wide vampire hunt. Is Team Cofidis directly targeted, or is he pursuing the civilian vampire population?
@meme_handups is a respected member of the League of Extraordinary OC Memeurs, but I am not privy to any independent field operations they may or may not be conducting and can neither confirm or deny that both Lachlan Morton and Sir Bradley Wiggins are monitoring Cofidiss actions and hunting vampires through the French countryside, nor can I confirm that our ultimate mission is to free these pitiable souls from their centuries of lifeless and loveless torture so they may finally find the rest they seek.
Thank you for your interest, but my time is precious and I must now re-embark upon my quest to bring the great truth of our time to light. #cofidisisvampires
Fangs for your time.
See the original post:
Is Cofidis a team of vampires? - CyclingTips
- "What We Do in the Shadows" revels in the fecklessness of vampires who fail upward - Salon - September 5th, 2021
- Tony Lindsay Returns to Speculative Fiction With 'Melody Knight a Vampire's Tale' - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2021
- When Will Vampire Diaries Co-Creator Julie Plec Acknowledge the Horrible Treatment of Bonnie Bennett? - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- LA By Night, the best damn vampire show around, is returning for its final season - The Next Web - September 5th, 2021
- Psychology of friendship: the rise of the social vampire - Stylist Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Sharkmob Explains Where 'Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt' Fits in the Series Canon - Newsweek - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Revenant', 'Interview With a Vampire', 'The Patriot', and More Get Many of Their Props From the Same Place - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Blade Reboot Director Explains How The Vampire Hunter Is Being Handled For The MCU - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- Meet The Ferat Vampire, A Modern Interpretation Of A Classic By Skoda - CarScoops - September 5th, 2021
- Bonnie Tyler hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart" is about vampires - Boing Boing - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasia 2021: Fear Is a Blessing in Spanish Vampire Fantasy 'All the Moons' - PopMatters - September 5th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3: What Joining the Vampire Council Means for the Roommates - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- From 'Interviews With Some Vampires' to 'Wellington Paranormal' - The Evolution of 'What We Do in the Shadows' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- [Review] Glenn Danzig's 'Death Rider in the House of Vampires' Has All the Charm...and Flaws of 'Verotika' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- Dracula fans furious after being told they cant see the vampires grave at North Yorks church... - The US Sun - August 24th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampires: Inside the Making of What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 - Rolling Stone - August 24th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 Prepares For Colin Robinson's 100th Birthday - Den of Geek - August 24th, 2021
- Edge Evokes the Shadow of The Blood and the Vampire on SmackDown - Last Word on Baseball - August 24th, 2021
- Film Review: ALL THE MOONS: The Best Vampire Film in Years [Fantasia 2021] - FilmBook - August 24th, 2021
- New "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" YA books will focus on Willow's kid being Chosen - Boing Boing - August 24th, 2021
- Why Stephanie Meyers Specifically Wrote That All Vampires In 'Twilight' Must Be White - YourTango - August 24th, 2021
- 'Interview With the Vampire' Is Coming to a Small Screen Near You - Esquire - July 26th, 2021
- Blood Red Sky Pits a Vampire Against Hijackers and Almost Lives Up to That Killer Concept - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampire AMC Series Taps Mad Men, Game of Thrones Alum Alan Taylor to Direct (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3 Teaser Peddles a Nice Bone, an Evil Bucket, and More - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 6 Vampire Movies Are Dominating Netflix This Weekend - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- Alan Taylor to direct Interview with the Vampire - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer quiz: Get full marks and you're the chosen one - The Tab - July 26th, 2021
- Rules Vampires Have To Follow In Every Twilight Movie - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- Vampire Slayers Unite: Kate Beckinsale Wanted to Mash Together the Worlds of 'Blade' and 'Underworld' - Bloody Disgusting - July 26th, 2021
- The Most Brutal Deaths In Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- No money to bury child victims of 'Vampire Killer' - The Star, Kenya - July 26th, 2021
- Nicki Swift The Real Reason David Boreanaz Left Buffy The Vampire Slayer 19 hours ago - Nicki Swift - July 26th, 2021
- The Untold Truth Of Interview With The Vampire - Looper - July 11th, 2021
- For female vampire bats, an equal chance to rule the roost - The Ohio State University News - July 11th, 2021
- Fairer sex: Colonies of female-only vampire bats live in equal societies - The Independent - July 11th, 2021
- What Happened To The Cast Of Buffy The Vampire Slayer? - Looper - July 11th, 2021
- New track by Vampire Weekends Ezra Koenig features in I Think You Should Leave - NME - July 11th, 2021
- 10 Best Im Dead And I Know It Moments In Vampire Horror Movies - WhatCulture - July 11th, 2021
- Dave Bautista is Allegedly Looking to Do a Vampire Movie - TVOvermind - July 11th, 2021
- 'Near Dark' Is A Uniquely American Masterpiece Of An Unheralded Cinematic Subgenre: The Vampire Neo-Western - Decider - July 11th, 2021
- Let the Right One In TV Series Will Include Multiple Vampires - ComicBook.com - July 11th, 2021
- The skeleton of a 'vampire' discovered has revealed its secrets - Gentside - July 11th, 2021
- Microsoft announces Redfall, a vampire shooter from the team behind Dishonored - The Verge - June 14th, 2021
- Vampire: The Masquerade coming to Roll20 with new 5th edition module - Polygon - June 14th, 2021
- Some Thoughts On Vampire The Masquerade: Winter's Teeth #6 - Bleeding Cool News - June 14th, 2021
- Ex-Vampire Weekend Rostam talks oppression, mushrooms, Bruce - Los Angeles Times - June 14th, 2021
- AMC's Interview with the Vampire Series Is Making Some Big Changes from the Book - TVweb - June 14th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire: Louis will be played by a black actor in the new adaptation of the novel Explica .co - Explica - June 14th, 2021
- Revisiting the Disappointingly Brief History of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Video Game Adaptations - Bloody Disgusting - June 14th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire TV Series Reveals a Big Twist to Anne Rice's Novel - MovieWeb - June 14th, 2021
- Scarlett Moffatt insists vampires walk among us and is convinced Richard Madeley could be one of them... - The Sun - June 14th, 2021
- Arkanes New Fantasy IP is Reportedly Called Omen; Vampire-Related and Coming Next Year Rumour - GamingBolt - May 21st, 2021
- Jakobs Wife is an amazing vampire marriage therapy mash-up you can stream at home right now - San Antonio Current - May 8th, 2021
- Van Helsing's final season wants vampires to 'pay the price' in deadly teaser for Episode 5 - SYFY WIRE - May 8th, 2021
- V Rising is a vampire action-adventure game where you get your own castle - Destructoid - May 8th, 2021
- Resident Evil Village is more schlocky B-movie than Tall Vampire Lady thirst trap - British GQ - May 8th, 2021
- Candice King Wants to Reprise The Vampire Diaries Role on Legacies - TV Fanatic - May 8th, 2021
- 'The Vampire Diaries': Fans Love to Visit the Real-Life Mystic Grill Inspired By the Hit Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 8th, 2021
- So, I Just Watched "Twilight" For The First Time, And I Have 21 Very Important Questions - BuzzFeed - May 8th, 2021
- Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley Say They Fought At the End of "The Vampire Diaries" - Seventeen.com - May 8th, 2021
- Everything to know about PRP therapy, the Vampire Facial for your eyes - image.ie - May 8th, 2021
- This Week in Anime - Is Mars Red Too High Brow? - Anime News Network - May 8th, 2021
- Vampire facials spa owner linked to HIV cases faces 24 charges - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - April 23rd, 2021
- The Boys From County Hell Puts Its Own Bite on the Vampire Genre - Gizmodo - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys from County Hell Review: Irish Vampires and a Plucky Horror Comedy - IndieWire - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys From County Hell Review: Irish Vampire-Comedy Tries to Reinvent the Myth - ComicBook.com - April 23rd, 2021
- How Vampire Weekend guided me into fatherhood - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Boys from County Hell is an Irish vampire plague based in roots and friendship rot - Kansas City Pitch - April 23rd, 2021
- Are Resident Evil Villages Vampires and Werewolves the Future of the Franchise? - Den of Geek - April 23rd, 2021
- The spookiest places to visit in Scotland from haunted castles to vampire infested graveyards - Daily Record - April 23rd, 2021
- Did It Happen On The Vampire Diaries Or The Originals? New - WhatCulture - April 23rd, 2021
- 'Jakob's Wife' Takes On Marital and Patriarchal Standards With A Vampire Premise About A Woman's Awakening From the Mundane - Substream Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Are We Attracted to Vampires? Berkeley High Jacket - berkeleyhighjacket.com - April 5th, 2021
- Review: Hunted by Sarah Biglow and Molly Zenk - The Nerd Daily - April 5th, 2021
- Continuous Vampire Attack: The AMM Wars Are Getting Interesting With Integral - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - April 5th, 2021
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Hardest Cordelia Quiz On The Internet! - WhatCulture - April 5th, 2021
- Hawk and Rev: Vampire Slayers Watch Party Will Slay You! - Film Threat - April 5th, 2021
- "9 Best Vampire Themed Slots - Online Gambling for Real Money - BestUSCasinos.org - April 5th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 Details Teased at PaleyFest /Film - /FILM - April 5th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero