For centuries, the bloodsuckers have fascinated and frightened us, occupying the most macabre corners of our collective imagination. There's a reason we're so drawn to them, says one expert of supernatural lore: Of all our other monsters, vampires are the most human.
"Modern vampires are sympathetic characters," said Phil Stevens, a cultural anthropologist and associate professor at the University of Buffalo. "They are stuck in a terrible cosmic infinity, doomed to a life of deception necessitated by their need for human blood."
It doesn't hurt, either, that they're traditionally "sophisticated, elite, good-looking, sexy," Stevens said.
"Vampires are romantic and sexy beings," he told CNN in an email. "They don't go through an ugly, terrifying transition, as were-animals must."
Bela Lugosi, "Dracula"
Bela is the blueprint.
The Hungarian actor's Dracula is the great-grandvampire from which all other film vamps (and vampire Halloween costumes) are descended. His version of Bram Stoker's villain speaks stiltedly, slinks across the screen with a hypnotic menace and then performs actual hypnotism on unwitting victims. From that Transylvanian accent that switches "w" with "v" -- or, should I say, svitches -- to the regal cape he wears around his own castle home (Dracula doesn't do casual), Lugosi's Count is the original king of exsanguination.
The Count, "Sesame Street"
Your first favorite vampire.
AH AH AH! If you grew up watching PBS, the Count von Count might have been the very first vampire you ever loved. He's got two pointy canines for blood-sucking, and yet he seems to subsist solely on the joy of counting numbers. The Count is a family-friendly monster, though more macabre than his Cookie counterpart, and he's still at it today on "Sesame Street," outliving even the most infamous onscreen vamps. It seems math is more sustaining than the blood of Muppet neighbors.
Lestat, Claudia and co., "Interview with a Vampire"
Hollywood embraces vampire camp.
The greatest works of vampire fiction infuse a healthy dose of camp into the proceedings, and this 1994 adaptation of Anne Rice's debut novel is teeming with it. For one thing, it stars Tom Cruise in a blond ponytail. You've got to commend Cruise's commitment to his role as the infamous Lestat, a vicious antihero who takes immense pleasure in dispatching victims. And young Kirsten Dunst makes for a chilling child vamp, years before "Let the Right One In" and its American remake cast bloodthirsty kids at the center of their stories. "Interview with a Vampire" takes itself seriously -- too seriously, perhaps, for a film that starred Brad Pitt in colored contacts -- when, at its heart, it's really a frivolous romp.
David and his gang, "The Lost Boys"
Teen flicks are better with bloodsuckers.
"You're eating MAGGOTS, Michael!" - Kiefer Sutherland, original vampire jerk. Turns out being stuck in a teen's body for an eternity keeps your soul grounded in adolescence, too. "The Lost Boys" is a quintessential '80s film -- it's got lovestruck teens, bullies with bad hair, cheesy violence, the two Coreys. Somehow, it seamlessly blends teen comedy and horror tropes into a hybrid film that's vital and enduring. A critical triumph, this is not, but vampires weren't taken seriously for decades anyway. "The Lost Boys" understands that the best vampire films are fun above all else.
"Only Lovers Left Alive"
Vamps explore existential dread.
Leave it to director Jim Jarmusch to somehow make vampirism even more brooding. Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston make for a painfully stylish pair grappling with the loneliness of immortality. This film is a lot of things -- a condemnation of human excess, an environmental allegory, a quiet celebration of life, a meditation on death. It's the film on this list that will likely prompt the most introspection and maybe the only indie mumblecore film about vampires. Of course, vampires aren't real (or are they?) -- but we imagine they might sound and feel something like this.
A sparkling blockbuster.
The housemates, "What We Do in the Shadows" (TV series)
Vampires as clowns.
Bayou vampires get their episodic due.
Three words: Soapy Southern vampires. OK, two more: Alexander Skarsgrd. And that's about all you need to know about "True Blood," HBO's Southern Gothic that set humans, bloodsuckers, fairies and other supernatural species in rural Louisiana to duke it out for supremacy. It was an escapist fantasy with plenty of nudity and gore (this was HBO, after all) that understood that, at their core, vampires are hedonistic monsters -- and that makes for great TV. (HBO and CNN are part of WarnerMedia.)
"Bram Stoker's Dracula"
Finally, vampires are sexy.
In his take on the world's best-loved Count, director Francis Ford Coppola embraced artifice. From the actors' waxen performances to sound stages straight out of Hollywood's Golden Age, the film was pure, Victorian steampunk fantasy. "Bram Stoker's Dracula" also highlighted the novel's through line -- sex. Gary Oldman's Dracula can't hold a flame to Lugosi's Count, but Oldman's was much more sensual. "Bram Stoker's Dracula" is a bizarre blend of theatrics and erotica, though poor Keanu Reeves' Jonathan Harker seems beamed in from another universe in which neither exist.
Spike, Angel and the rest of the vamps, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
The superior girl-meets-vamp romance.
"Buffy" may have been about a kickass teenage vampire slayer, but it wasn't without its melodrama -- featuring not one but two forbidden romances between the slayer and the monsters she was destined to destroy. First there was vampire-with-a-soul Angel (whose evil alter-ego Angelus occasionally returned). Then there was enemy-turned-ally Spike, a fan favorite. (Both bloodsuckers were also part of the "Angel" spin-off series.) Buffy didn't end up with either of them at the series' end, but that hasn't stopped fans from choosing sides nearly 20 years after the series ended.
The "daywalker" stalks the night.
CNN's Radhika Marya contributed to this piece.
- Vampire horror comedy filmed at Tahoe to be released in December - Tahoe Daily Tribune - November 29th, 2021
- Ask Amy: Its time to stop this emotional vampires vacation tantrums - oregonlive.com - November 29th, 2021
- What Happened To Oz On Buffy The Vampire Slayer? - Looper - November 29th, 2021
- With The Vampires House, Susie Cave Expands Into Old Hollywood Homeware - Vogue.com - November 29th, 2021
- Anime The Vampire Dies In No Time Episode 9: November 29 Release, Where To Watch and What To Know Before W ... - Gizmo Story - November 29th, 2021
- Interview With The Vampire TV show release date, cast, synopsis and more - Winter Is Coming - November 29th, 2021
- Kirsten Dunst on 'Power of the Dog,' Campion & Jesse Plemons - Los Angeles Times - November 29th, 2021
- Is Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Manga Complete, Finished or Ongoing? Here is the Current Status of Irina the Vampire Cosmonaut - Epicstream - November 29th, 2021
- Kirsten Dunst Is Right, It Is Weird That She Had To Kiss Brad Pitt When She Was Only 11 Years Old - Grazia - November 29th, 2021
- The 14 Spookiest Episodes Of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Ranked - /Film - November 13th, 2021
- The Heartbreaking Scene Of Buffy The Vampire Slayer That Still Makes Fans Choke Up - Looper - November 13th, 2021
- We seem to agree: Paul Rudd really is the sexiest man alive - Los Angeles Times - November 13th, 2021
- Watch: NCT 127 Takes 3rd Win For Favorite (Vampire) On M Countdown; Performances By THE BOYZ, Jeon Somi, ONEUS, And More - soompi - November 13th, 2021
- You Won't Believe Which Vampire Diaries Alum Is Heading to Legacies - E! NEWS - November 13th, 2021
- Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) WTF Happened to This Horror Movie? - JoBlo.com - November 13th, 2021
- Why the Vampire Myth Wont Die - The New York Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Dead & Beautiful Stretches Vampire Metaphors to the Breaking Point - Reason - November 2nd, 2021
- The Greatest Place to Be a Vampire Was New York in the 90s - Vulture - November 2nd, 2021
- 11 facts about Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire" - Salon - November 2nd, 2021
- Dua Lipa Shows Off Her Super Sculpted Booty In A Vampire Costume - Yahoo News - November 2nd, 2021
- Rhode Island: the Transylvania of America? One vampire expert thinks so - The Boston Globe - November 2nd, 2021
- A Field Guide to What We Do in the Shadows Energy Vampire - Vulture - November 2nd, 2021
- Vampire bats' 'missing' genes may help them survive on all-blood diet - Livescience.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Most Shows Would Be Better If They Were About Vampires - Vulture - November 2nd, 2021
- The next Magic: The Gathering set is all about a vampire wedding - PC Gamer - November 2nd, 2021
- The Vampires of The Hunger Haunt Eternity in Endlessly Considered Glamour - Vulture - November 2nd, 2021
- Forever Knight Is the Best Vampire Cop Show Ever Made (in Canada) - Vulture - November 2nd, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows: Ranking the Best Vampires - Den of Geek - November 2nd, 2021
- The Best Last Line in a Vampire Movie Is in The Lost Boys - Vulture - November 2nd, 2021
- Vampire allegories in the age of capitalist dystopia and climate catastrophe - The Real News Network - November 2nd, 2021
- Study Shows Vampire Bats Coordinate with Friends on Where to Eat - One Green Planet - November 2nd, 2021
- Vampire Diaries Stars Who Wont Appear on Legacies: Kat Graham, Paul Wesley and More - Us Weekly - November 2nd, 2021
- A vampire and devil relive the joys of trick or treating in 1989 - Toronto Star - November 2nd, 2021
- Remember That Time Pedro Pascal Played a Vampire? - Remezcla - November 2nd, 2021
- Vampires in Greece: From Ancient Greek Creatures to the Vrykolakas - Greek Reporter - November 2nd, 2021
- Ghosts, vampires, and monsters: 5 titles to get you in the Halloween spirit - Minnesota Public Radio News - November 2nd, 2021
- Ghost cookies to vampire's kiss: 5 Halloween party menu ideas to try - Times of India - November 2nd, 2021
- Blade review Wesley Snipes is back in excitingly macabre vampire horror - The Guardian - November 2nd, 2021
- Monk the adorable vampire cat is here to show off its Halloween costume - Hindustan Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Vampire Diaries and Guardians of the Galaxy stars join new Netflix comedy - Digital Spy - November 2nd, 2021
- Disease, Demons, and DiscordHow the Vampire Myth Was Born - Atlas Obscura - October 20th, 2021
- Night Teeth Review: A Vampire Thriller Thats Too Cut-and-Paste to Have Any Bite - Variety - October 20th, 2021
- More 'disease' than 'Dracula' how the vampire myth was born - The Conversation US - October 20th, 2021
- Nail Artist Savannah Walker Put Real Braces on Her Vampire-Teeth Manicure - Allure - October 20th, 2021
- Slay Vampire Appliances Lurking in Your Home this Halloween - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- Nerds Gets Spooky: Revisiting 'The Little Vampire' - Nerds and Beyond - October 20th, 2021
- Review: Night Teeth Is A Fun Vampire Movie Thats All Teeth And No Bite - Comic Years - October 20th, 2021
- 'Legacies' Season 4: Will Hope Finally Embrace Her Vampire Side This Season? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- Interview With The Vampire Series Casts Bailey Bass As Claudia For Upcoming AMC Adaptation - Comic Years - October 9th, 2021
- Interview with the Vampire TV Series Starts Filming in December - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Sora In Super Smash Bros., Interview With A Vampire Cast & Source Material Modifications, And James Gunn Has ANOTHER DC Project In The Works |... - October 9th, 2021
- The Fall 2021 Preview Guide - The Vampire Dies in No Time - Anime News Network - October 9th, 2021
- "What We Do in the Shadows" revels in the fecklessness of vampires who fail upward - Salon - September 5th, 2021
- Tony Lindsay Returns to Speculative Fiction With 'Melody Knight a Vampire's Tale' - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2021
- When Will Vampire Diaries Co-Creator Julie Plec Acknowledge the Horrible Treatment of Bonnie Bennett? - The Mary Sue - September 5th, 2021
- LA By Night, the best damn vampire show around, is returning for its final season - The Next Web - September 5th, 2021
- Psychology of friendship: the rise of the social vampire - Stylist Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Sharkmob Explains Where 'Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt' Fits in the Series Canon - Newsweek - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Revenant', 'Interview With a Vampire', 'The Patriot', and More Get Many of Their Props From the Same Place - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Blade Reboot Director Explains How The Vampire Hunter Is Being Handled For The MCU - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- Meet The Ferat Vampire, A Modern Interpretation Of A Classic By Skoda - CarScoops - September 5th, 2021
- Bonnie Tyler hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart" is about vampires - Boing Boing - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasia 2021: Fear Is a Blessing in Spanish Vampire Fantasy 'All the Moons' - PopMatters - September 5th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3: What Joining the Vampire Council Means for the Roommates - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- From 'Interviews With Some Vampires' to 'Wellington Paranormal' - The Evolution of 'What We Do in the Shadows' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- [Review] Glenn Danzig's 'Death Rider in the House of Vampires' Has All the Charm...and Flaws of 'Verotika' - Bloody Disgusting - September 5th, 2021
- Dracula fans furious after being told they cant see the vampires grave at North Yorks church... - The US Sun - August 24th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampires: Inside the Making of What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 - Rolling Stone - August 24th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows Season 3 Prepares For Colin Robinson's 100th Birthday - Den of Geek - August 24th, 2021
- Edge Evokes the Shadow of The Blood and the Vampire on SmackDown - Last Word on Baseball - August 24th, 2021
- Film Review: ALL THE MOONS: The Best Vampire Film in Years [Fantasia 2021] - FilmBook - August 24th, 2021
- New "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" YA books will focus on Willow's kid being Chosen - Boing Boing - August 24th, 2021
- Why Stephanie Meyers Specifically Wrote That All Vampires In 'Twilight' Must Be White - YourTango - August 24th, 2021
- 'Interview With the Vampire' Is Coming to a Small Screen Near You - Esquire - July 26th, 2021
- Blood Red Sky Pits a Vampire Against Hijackers and Almost Lives Up to That Killer Concept - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Interview With the Vampire AMC Series Taps Mad Men, Game of Thrones Alum Alan Taylor to Direct (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- 'What We Do in the Shadows' Season 3 Teaser Peddles a Nice Bone, an Evil Bucket, and More - /FILM - July 26th, 2021
- 6 Vampire Movies Are Dominating Netflix This Weekend - We Got This Covered - July 26th, 2021
- Alan Taylor to direct Interview with the Vampire - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer quiz: Get full marks and you're the chosen one - The Tab - July 26th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero