Joel Schumacher's teen-vampire horror comedy The Lost Boys opened the door for Twilight, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and True Blood, smashing Hollywood's tired Transylvanian tropes with a dirt biker's chortle. But first, the production had to overcome a change in director, a change in direction, casting issues, budget issues and Kiefer Sutherland's haircut.
Premiering on July 31, 1987, The Lost Boys found brothers Michael and Sam Emerson (portrayed by Jason Patric and Corey Haim) moving to a new fictional hometown of Santa Carla, Calif. They start hanging out with a group of delinquents who are quickly revealed to be sexy night-creeping vampires, led by Sutherland's David. Sam teams up with Edgar and Alan Frog (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), who fancy themselves vampire hunters, in an attempt to save Michael from his dark fate.
If the underlying theme of male bonding while resisting the notion of growing up sounds familiar, that's because The Lost Boysgrew out of an earlier script idea based on J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan. The main characters were to have been "Goonies-type 5th-6th grade kid vampires," according to the DVD commentary for the film. Sutherland's character was even going to be named Peter.
"I had read Anne Rice's Interview With the Vampire," first-time screenwriter James Jeremias later told Empire, "and in that there was a 200-year-old vampire trapped in the body of a 12-year-old girl. Since Peter Pan had been one of my all-time favorite stories, I thought, 'What if the reason Peter Pan came out at night and never grew up and could fly was because he was a vampire?'"
The concept was set aside when original director Richard Donner left to focus on Lethal Weapon, though Donner retained an executive producer credit on the film. "What he wanted to do was quite different, which was sort of a cutesy, G-rated movie aimed at young kids," Schumacher told Venice magazine in 1999. "There were no wild teenagers on motorcycles."
Watch the 'Destroy All Vampires' Scene From 'The Lost Boys
With Schumacher at the helm, The Lost Boys was transformed into a vampire story for a new generation, dotted with frisky young people, groan-y jokes and MTV-ready songs. When confused studio execs asked Schumacher if he was making a horror or a comedy, he'd simply say, "Yes."
Alex Winter, who played Marko in the film, said at first "it was impossible to see it working. Let's take all of these standard rules of vampire lore and let's squeeze them through almost like a big, gaudy '80s teen sex comedy or sex drama, right?" he said in the 2019 documentary In Search of Darkness. "And I was like, 'That's going to not work in spades.'" Patric didn't get it either and kept resisting Schumacher's overtures. In the 2004 documentary The Lost Boys: A Retrospective, Schumacher says he met with Patric every day for six weeks before the actor finally came onboard.
Schumacher was coming off the hit St. Elmo's Fire, so he was given some latitude. "We really didn't know what we were doing then!" he told Venice, with a laugh. "We made it up as we went along. The studio was incredibly patient and supportive, considering they'd never heard of Kiefer Sutherland or Jason Patric or Jamie Gertz or Corey Haim. It was another big chance taken by a studio. We were very lucky."
Things occasionally became markedly improvisational. "We all just opened up to the experience, we embraced it which is the only way to make a movie," Schumacher told Empire. "Don't hold back."
Sutherland's distinctive look, for instance, was shaped by both happenstance and fate.
Watch the Train Trestle Scene From 'The Lost Boys'
"It's actually a funny story. Joel Schumacher wanted me to have long hair, and I had long hair at the time and then he wanted it white, a timeless kind of thousand-year-old look," Sutherland told Yahoo in 2018. "So I dyed it white and my hair was like normally long, like long everywhere and I just looked like a wrestler! I hated it, and I just thought, 'That's awful.'"
Taking inspiration from the contemporary pop-punk star Billy Idol, Sutherland decided to crop the top of his hair but left the rest long. "So I actually think I might've been responsible, or at least partially responsible, for creating the mullet and for that," Sutherland added, "I'll apologize to the death."
His signature gloves, on the other hand, were worn to cover up a cast. Sutherland was showing off on the beach after the first night of shooting when he lost control of a dirt bike and broke his left wrist.
Money woes had an impact, as Warner Bros. took back $2 million just before filming began. That's how a piece of unused B roll from Top Gun ended up in The Lost Boys, providing a point-of-view shot as a vampire zooms overhead that Schumacher couldn't afford to shoot. He also had to agree to direct a music video for INXS to garner their participation in the soundtrack. (Schumacher's clip for "Devil Inside" arrived the following year.)
"There was a bit of a shame factor at Warner Bros.," Schumacher told Empire. "People in marketing would say, 'Well, it's not really a vampire movie, Joel. It's really an alienation movie; it's about the disenfranchised.' And I said, 'No. We absolutely are making a teenage vampire movie. Our job is to make the coolest vampire movie ever made.'"
Watch the 'One Big Coffin' Scene From 'The Lost Boys'
The results didn't quite live up to Schumacher's stated goal, if for no other reason than the film's laughably implausible ending. Nevertheless, The Lost Boys might be the coolest vampire movie made to that point.
"It's quite a stylish, slightly comedic movie and Joel Schumacher's most heartfelt film," Oscar-nominated cinematographer Michael Chapman later argued.
His film's legacy, however, will always be wrapped up in what happened next. The Lost Boys was profitable, earning $32 million on an $8.5 million budget, but that wasn't enough to get into the year's Top 30 highest-grossing movies. A couple of big-budget sequel ideas were floated, including The Lost Girls, but ultimately only two straight-to-DVD Feldman-starring sequels were released.
Instead, The Lost Boys found its widest audiences in video-rental stores. Those home viewers then grew up to become directors, actors and studio heads who would unleash a torrent of lusty vampire-themed TV shows and films.
For a vindicated Schumacher, that made thematic sense. "I think that a lot of our culture is set up for people to deny who they really are," he told Venice. "I'm not saying that all people are inherently evil, but we spend so much of the time wanting people to think that we're perfect that we don't have bad thoughts, or do bad things, that we're all really perfect people and we are. We're perfect in our imperfections."
Counting down a century's worth of monsters, demons and things that go bump in the night.
25 Interesting Rock Movie Facts
- TVs Interview With the Vampire Absolutely Has Teeth - Vanity Fair - October 2nd, 2022
- From sparkles to sick abs: What are the best and weirdest vampire 'rules' in pop culture? - Syfy - October 2nd, 2022
- New York by Night Brings Vampires to the Big Apple - ComicBook.com - October 2nd, 2022
- My Thoughts on 3 Random Vampires - Non-Productive.com - October 2nd, 2022
- 'Crown,' 'Interview With the Vampire' among TV highlights - The Associated Press - en Espaol - October 2nd, 2022
- Studying vampire bats to predict the next pandemic - Virginia Tech Daily - October 2nd, 2022
- She-Hulk and the Curious Case of Vampires: Blade, Saracen & Baroness Cromwell Are Ready for Thier Closeup, Mr. Feige - The Koalition - October 2nd, 2022
- All the best shows coming to TV in October: Interview With The Vampire, The Midnight Club, and more - The A.V. Club - October 2nd, 2022
- 'Interview With the Vampire' Lestat Sam Reid Has 1 Advantage Over Tom Cruise - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 2nd, 2022
- Saturday Night Live Returns, Interview with the Vampire and Final Leg of Walking Dead, East New York, Dragon Doings - TV Insider - October 2nd, 2022
- Updates From Interview With the Vampire, Mayfair Witches, and More - Gizmodo - October 2nd, 2022
- NOSFERATU: Robert Eggers' Vampire Adaptation Resurrected With Bill Skarsgrd To Star - FANGORIA - October 2nd, 2022
- These Are the Bloody Best 51 Vampire Movies of All TimeRanked! - Rockdale Newton Citizen - October 2nd, 2022
- Vampires, vampires, everywhere! Our fanged favorites from television and film - Syfy - September 24th, 2022
- Phillys Mtter Museum bares its fangs with a vampire makeover - The Philadelphia Inquirer - September 24th, 2022
- From Dracula to Edward Cullen: The Evolution of the Vampire Myth - A Little Bit Human - September 24th, 2022
- Vampires, Mummies and MadmenFathom Events' Fright Fest is Back Bringing Classic Horror Films to the Big Screen - PR Newswire - September 24th, 2022
- Fall TV offers vampires, royals, and return to Gilead - Los Angeles Blade - September 24th, 2022
- 'Morbius': the worst part is how it smears vampire bats - AIPT - September 24th, 2022
- MY BROTHER WAS A VAMPIRE by Morag Shepherd Comes to Plan B Theatre - Broadway World - September 24th, 2022
- The Actress Who Plays Marceline The Vampire Queen In Adventure Time Is Gorgeous In Real Life - Looper - September 24th, 2022
- Forget the Vampires. Guillermo is the True Hero of What We Do in the Shadows. - PRIMETIMER - September 8th, 2022
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Rewatch Podcast From Wondery Will Welcome You Back to the Hellmouth - Variety - September 8th, 2022
- Sofia Coppola, Phoenixs Thomas Mars, and Jim Jarmusch Go Vampire Clubbing in What We Do in the Shadows - Pitchfork - September 8th, 2022
- John Carpenter Believes This Movie Reinvented the Vampire Genre - No Film School - September 8th, 2022
- Slayers Red Band Trailer Has Vampires on the Hunt for Influencers - LRM Online - August 31st, 2022
- How to Spot an Emotional Vampire, and a 5-Step Process to Defeat One When You Do - Inc. - August 31st, 2022
- What We Do in the Shadows Recap: Call Me by Your Name - Vulture - August 31st, 2022
- Netflix to Remove 'The Vampire Diaries' & More In September 2022 - Just Jared Jr. - August 31st, 2022
- The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder Reflects On How Twilight's Success Impacted The TV Drama - CinemaBlend - August 31st, 2022
- The Invitation And Legacies Actor Thomas Doherty Explains Why He Can't Stay Away From Vampires - Exclusive - Looper - August 31st, 2022
- John Carpenter Applauds Let the Right One In for Reinventing the Vampire Genre - IndieWire - August 31st, 2022
- IFH 611: How I Got My Vampire Film Released by Sony with Jessica M. Thompson - Indie Film Hustle - August 31st, 2022
- Festivals Are Coolest When The Vampires Wife Is Involved - British Vogue - August 31st, 2022
- Vampire Rebellion Is On the Rise in the Vampire Academy Trailer - tor.com - August 22nd, 2022
- Redfall vampires aren't sick, they're just really evil - PCGamesN - August 22nd, 2022
- The Long-Gestating Buffy The Vampire Slayer Reboot Is 'On Pause' - /Film - August 22nd, 2022
- VAMPIRE Synonyms: 121 Synonyms & Antonyms for VAMPIRE - Thesaurus.com - August 14th, 2022
- Sima Aunty, Vampires And Magical Keys: What To Watch This Weekend - Entrepreneur - August 14th, 2022
- How to Deal With an Energy Vampire at Work, According to Experts - Self - August 14th, 2022
- Are Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock Secretly Vampires? Read This Bizarre Conspiracy Theory - News18 - August 14th, 2022
- AMC and AMC+ Announce Fall 2022 Lineup: Vampires, Zombies, and Gangs Season 2 - Showbiz Junkies - August 14th, 2022
- How Interview With The Vampire's Lestat And Louis TV Actors Feel About Comparisons To The 1994 Film With Tom Cruise And Brad Pitt - CinemaBlend - August 14th, 2022
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Movie: 7+ Thoughts I Had While Rewatching The 1992 Film - CinemaBlend - August 14th, 2022
- Author to sign copies of new vampire book in Lichfield - Lichfield Live - August 14th, 2022
- From the Archives, 1962: Six die in Vampire jet disaster - The Age - August 14th, 2022
- Kathryn Bigelow's 'Near Dark' Has Aged As Gracefully as the Vampires Within [Halloweenies Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - August 6th, 2022
- Vampire Academy TV Show: 7 Quick Things We Know About The Peacock Adaptation - CinemaBlend - August 6th, 2022
- 5 Big Changes The Interview With The Vampire TV Series Makes From The Book - /Film - August 6th, 2022
- Sylvester Stallone brands Rocky producers blood-suckers and depicts them as vampires - The Independent - August 6th, 2022
- Five years since it ended, this is what the cast of The Vampire Diaries are up to now - The Tab - August 6th, 2022
- Jamie Foxx moonlights as a vampire hunter with Snoop Dog and Dave Franco in the new action-packed Day Shift movie coming to Netflix #DayShift #Trailer... - August 6th, 2022
- The Cousin of Vampire Weekend's Chris Baio Is Now on the New York Yankees - Pitchfork - August 6th, 2022
- The strange tale of the Highgate vampire - Far Out Magazine - August 6th, 2022
- Teen vampires get the Hogwarts treatment in Peacock's Vampire Academy trailer - The A.V. Club - July 28th, 2022
- Redfall has you hunting vampires with a Stake Launcher and UV Beam - TrueAchievements - July 28th, 2022
- Let the Right One In trailer: A new take on the bestseller about child vampirism - Polygon - July 28th, 2022
- A Brief History of Vampires on Screen, From Dracula to What We Do in the Shadows - Consequence - July 20th, 2022
- The Vampire Diaries Universe is Officially Over. What Now? - The Mary Sue - July 20th, 2022
- Spider-Mans Jacob Batalon Transforms Into Reginald the Vampire in New Syfy Series: See Photos - Teen Vogue - July 20th, 2022
- Call of the Night Cosplay Highlights New Summer Vampire Favorite - ComicBook.com - July 20th, 2022
- A Vampire-Hunting Kit Purportedly From the 19th Century Sells for $20,000 in the U.K., Exploding Its Meager $2,400 Estimate - artnet News - July 20th, 2022
- Development on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 continues but it won't be at this year's PDXCon - Eurogamer.net - July 20th, 2022
- Year Of The Vampire: Guillermo Del Toro's Cronos Reimagines Forever As A Gold Invention - /Film - July 20th, 2022
- Chucky and Reginald the Vampire coming to Syfy in October - 1428 Elm - July 20th, 2022
- These 3 Zodiac Signs Will Have The Worst Week & It's All Thanks To Pluto (The Planet Of Darkness) - STYLECASTER - July 20th, 2022
- Exclusive 'So Vam' Clip Discusses the History of Vampires - Bloody Disgusting - June 23rd, 2022
- Johnny Depp and rock band Hollywood Vampires announce 2023 tour of Europe - Los Angeles Times - June 23rd, 2022
- What We Do in the Shadows S04 Trailer: Energy Vampires Grow Up Fast! - Bleeding Cool News - June 23rd, 2022
- Year Of The Vampire: Carl Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr Is A Waking Dream Inside A Coffin - /Film - June 23rd, 2022
- V Rising Is Already Filled with Two Million Newly Awakened Vampires - Wccftech - June 23rd, 2022
- Milky Way Prince The Vampire Star: inspirations and PS5 features - PlayStation - June 23rd, 2022
- In Redfall, Vampires Are a Metaphor for the Rich and Powerful - CNET - June 14th, 2022
- Vampires, Greedy News Anchors And Survival: 3 Series To Watch - Entrepreneur - June 14th, 2022
- 'Legacies' Boss: There Are "Many More Stories to Tell" in the 'Vampire Diaries' Universe - Decider - June 14th, 2022
- Year Of The Vampire: Underworld Is A Deceptively Simple, Stylish Classic - /Film - June 14th, 2022
- V Rising Early Access Review: Be The Lord of Vampires - The Nerd Stash - June 14th, 2022
- Every vampire appliance in your home adding $100s to your energy bill and the secret worst offen... - The US Sun - June 14th, 2022
- With Legacies Coming To An End, The Vampire Diaries Vet Kat Graham Reflects On Her Refusal To Return As Bonnie - CinemaBlend - June 14th, 2022
- When Will The Vampire Diaries Leave Netflix? - What's on Netflix - June 14th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero