After seven seasons, Buffy the Vampire Slayer aired its last episode in 2003, but the series continued in comic book form until 2018. With five seasons worth of content, the comics were published by Dark Horse and explored Buffys adult life and the consequences of the shows finale. Sometimes written by showrunner Joss Whedon, this canonical sequel followed a single arc per season, with a varying number of issues and volumes. Unsurprisingly a lot changed for Buffy after she left Sunnydale, but some things remained the same.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a unique show for its time, and in certain ways, helped pave the way for other serialized horror and sci-fi shows such as Supernatural and even The Walking Dead. For seven seasons, Buffy fought vampires, demons, and even humans. She prevented the end of the world, and, along with her friends--known as the Scooby Gang--left high school to face adult life. While the show dealt with plenty of supernatural creatures and offered its dose of silliness, it never stopped treating its characters as complex human (or supernatural) beings. This great balance between camp and depth turned Buffy into a cult classic, with episodes such as The Body being one of the best examples of what the show was capable of doing.
Related: The Buffy Comics Have Already Shown How To Reboot The TV Series
The shows final season explored what it meant to be a Slayer and the sacrifices that life demanded. Suddenly potential Slayers were being hunted down all over the world, and the Slayer line was in danger of disappearing. It was a dreary, dark season that made clear Buffys life as the Slayer took its toll on her. However, as always, she rallied in the end and succeeded in defeating the final villain of the TV series by making every potential into a full-blown Slayer. Although some fans think Buffy the Vampire Slayer peaked in season 5, season 7 offered a satisfying and epic conclusion to the now-iconic television show.This was not the end for Buffy; in 2007, the Slayers adventures continued in comic form, published by Dark Horse and produced by Whedon. Heres every major event that happened in the Buffyverse after the show ended.
Season 5 of Angel took place after Buffys finale. During it, Spike was brought back, but Fred and Wesley died. After sacrificing himself to destroy the First Evil, Spike reappeared in Wolfram & Hart, Team Angels headquarters at the time. At first, hes merely a ghost, but eventually, he regained his physical form and joined the team. As for Fred, contact with a sarcophagus of an Old One led to her body being taken over by Illyria, an ancient god imprisoned in the Deeper Well.
Unlike Buffy, Angel ended in a cliffhanger, as Los Angeles was transported to a hell dimension by Wolfram & Harts Senior Partners. The resolution to this arc happened in a comic series where, eventually, Angel forces the partners to rewind time before the fall of Los Angeles. Nevertheless, many of the events in the Angel comics would be referenced in Buffy.
A year after the destruction of Sunnydale, Buffy is living in Scotland. Now the leader of an army of almost two thousand Slayers worldwide, she uses a castle as her main base. There, she trains squads and gears up for missions all over the world. Andrew, Giles, Xander, Willow, and Faith are all part of the organization, either leading squads of their own or helping with magic. With an operation this size, Buffy draws the attention of the US government. Convinced shes a terrorist, they recruit the witch Amy and a resurrected Warren Mears to fight her. At the same time, a Slayer named Genevieve plots to dethrone Buffy and take control of the organization.
Related: Why Sarah Michelle Gellar Didn't Want A Buffy Musical Episode
Both these events are connected to the seasons big bad, Twilight, a masked man with super strength and the ability to fly. In the end, the gang discovers Twilight is actually Angel. Convinced the end of the universe was coming by a mysterious higher power, Angel used the Slayers enemies to push her to accept her destiny as the mother of a new dimension. Compelled by the same higher force, Buffy and Angel have sex while flying in space, breaking the walls of reality. The pair is then transported to a new dimension to act as Adam and Eve. However, once Buffy realizes Earth would be destroyed and everyone she loves would die due to the creation of the Twilight dimension, she returns to Earth to stop it.
This is when Spike finally makes an appearance. He tells the gang about the Seed of Wonder, the source of all magic and a gateway that connects all dimensions. To complete the creation of the Twilight reality, demons are planning to take the Seed out if its resting place: Sunnydale. The gang returns to the ruins of their town to protect the Seed, where they fight hordes of demons and even a resurrected Master. During the battle, Twilight possesses Angel and kills Giles. In a fit of rage, Buffy destroys the Seed, saving the Earth while stripping the universe of all magic.Other notable events of this season are Buffy sleeping with Satsu, a new Slayer character, Dawn and Xander starting to date, Willow breaking up with Kennedy, and Faith decided to move to London with Angel. Meanwhile, Harmony, Spikes vampire ex-girlfriend, exposed the existence of vampires to the entire world.
While still performing her Slayer duties, Buffy now lives in San Francisco and no longer leads the Slayer Organization, which scattered after the Twilight crisis. By destroying the Seed of Wonder, Buffy stripped witches of their powers and destroyed Earths connection to other magical dimensions. Since demons could no longer possess the body of recently turned vampires, people instead became mindless, feral creatures called zompires. This breaks all the vampire rules from the TV show.
Internal conflicts start to wear down the Scooby gang. Willow leaves the city in search of a way to restore magic, while Xander isnt adjusting well to life as a civilian. When Buffy is accused of maiming bodies all over the city, the only person who sides with her is Spike. While hunted by the police, Buffy meets Severin, a human capable of siphoning magic from Slayers and vampires. Severin eventually allies himself with Simone, a rogue Slayer who hates Buffy and has no qualms with killing or using guns. They join forces to steal enough magic to go back in time and stop the destruction of the Seed. Meanwhile, Angel and Faith are on a quest to bring back Giles. While they eventually succeed in resurrecting him, he ends up stuck in the body of a 12-year-old.
Related: What Michelle Trachtenberg Has Done Since Buffy The Vampire Slayer Ended
At some point, Buffy allies with Illyria to stop Severin, but he manages to syphon the ancient god and gains her ability to travel back in time. However, he still needs more power before he can perform the ritual. Meanwhile, Dawn, a magical being, is slowly dying because of the destruction of the Seed. Desperate to help her, Xander betrays Buffy and reveals the location of the Deeper Well to Severin and Simone. As Buffy races to save Dawn and stop Severin, Willow shows up with a plan to create a new Seed and restore magic. After another epic battle, the gang succeeds, and the world regains its connection to magic.
The gang realizes the creation of the new Seed wiped out all the rules of magic. Most importantly, anything written on Giles Vampyr book now becomes a rule, and this means Buffy has the responsibility of ensuring magic abilities stay balanced. Reluctantly, Buffy agrees to work with a demon council to discuss and negotiate the new rules, but things are never that easy. A group of ancient beings decides to try and take over the world. Their relentless attacks force Buffy to give the demon council more powers. Thanks to Dawns Key abilities, the gang manages to defeat most of them, but in the process, Dawn and Xander are stuck in another dimension for a few issues.
Meanwhile, DHoffryn, Anyas former boss and a member of the council, betrays Buffy. He kills the rest of the council, stealing their powers and the Vampyr book. DHoffryn is assisted by the ghost of Anya, who haunted Xander for most of the season. Buffys plan to defeat him involves making the entire magical community ignore the rules in the Vampyr book, wanting to strip the vengeance demon of his newly-acquired powers. However, he uses the same tactic against the Scoobies, broadcasting to the entire world their battle and causing everyone to believe in his powers again. It is Anya who saves the day by granting Buffys wish to remove DHoffryns abilities. Unfortunately, this also ends her existence once again.
The gang decides to take full responsibility for the Vampyr book, forming a new Magic Council and trying to keep the balance. Also, Buffy finally realizes shes in love with Spike, and the two start a relationship that remains stable across the season. Despite their extremely toxic past, Spike ends up being Buffys best boyfriend yet. Their relationship is probably the most supportive and healthy she had in canon. Also, Andrew realizes he is gay.
Related: Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Every Main Character Who Almost Died Sooner
Season 11 was a shorter comic book series, consisting of only 12 issues. Once again, Buffy faces the government as they create laws to regulate and control supernatural and magical beings. After a major dragon attack in San Francisco, Buffy, Willow, and Spike are sent to live in a Safe Zone, where other supernatural creatures and people are forcibly relocated by the American government to keep the peace. There, they struggle to survive and fit in. Wanting to help other witches, Willow offers to take their powers away so they can leave the camp and rejoin society. Eventually, they enact a prison break and escape the Safe Zone.
Outside, they discover the government was responsible for the dragon attack, and it also staged other events to gain popular support for the new laws. Their true goal is to absorb magic and use it as a weapon. Of course, Buffy and the gang cant allow this to happen. They manage to defeat the corrupt government forces behind the attacks and the camps. All ends well, with Buffy confessing her love for Spike at last.
Whedon returns to finish Buffys story for good. But with only four issues, season 12 doesnt have the most well-paced plot. However, it does unite the entire cast and has a happy ending. Fittingly, the big bad of the season is a man who wants to steal the powers of all Slayers; he is the twin brother of a future Slayer, Fray. She was the main character of a previous Whedons Buffyverse comic--he finally got to combine the two stories.
Buffy eventually defeats Harth, and retires as a Slayer. Instead, she and Faith are training to join the police force. Dawn and Xander have a baby daughter named Joyce. Although Spike and Buffy mutually break up at the start of the season, they talk about getting back together eventually. Angel also sticks around, so that classic pairing is still possible. The entire Scooby Gang reunites, and the last issue of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comicsshows them eating together, at peace.
More: Every Failed Buffy The Vampire Slayer Spin-Off (& Why They Didn't Happen)
Even The Joker Knows NIGHTWING Fans Hate 'Ric' Grayson
Priscila Rosa is an avid TV and movie fan. She covers entertainment news.
- There are no energy vampires on Michigans raucous, inspiring bench - MLive.com - January 15th, 2021
- Naagin 5 to go off air in February; might be replaced by a show on vampires - Bollywood Hungama - January 15th, 2021
- Dark Detective #1 Shows the Dark Side of Gotham - TechnoCodex - January 15th, 2021
- Pups, vampires and a president: The bestselling books of 2020 - Sydney Morning Herald - January 9th, 2021
- Lacy Moore on 'Age Of The Living Dead' and her journey to television - hotpress.com - January 9th, 2021
- Wesley Snipes Declares He Is Blade Forever, Will He Return in the Marvel Multiverse? - MovieWeb - January 9th, 2021
- Poisonous partnership: How to recognise it and rescue yourself from the toxic dynamic | W24 - News24 - January 9th, 2021
- The Originals: 10 Things That Already Haven't Aged Well - Screen Rant - January 3rd, 2021
- Vampire The Masquerade: 5 Best Disciplines For Kindred (& 5 To Leave Alone) - GameRant - January 3rd, 2021
- Magic: The Gathering - Sorin Markov Is the PERFECT Antihero | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 3rd, 2021
- Twilight: Life and Death Should Be The Next Movie (Not Midnight Sun) - Screen Rant - January 3rd, 2021
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: 10 Things The Characters Wanted In Season 1 That Came True By The Finale - Screen Rant - January 3rd, 2021
- #1580: Looking Back On 2020 - Keeping Dracula In The Family | The Best Of Our Knowledge - WAMC Podcasts - January 3rd, 2021
- Twilight: How The Cullens Got So Rich (And What They're Worth) - Screen Rant - January 3rd, 2021
- Morbius' Jared Leto on the Challenge of Playing Marvel's Living Vampire - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 3rd, 2021
- Why Everyone's Watching 'Twilight' During the Pandemic - The Daily Beast - January 3rd, 2021
- Beyond Cyberpunk 2077: Five games from CEE that flew under the radar in 2020 - Emerging Europe - January 3rd, 2021
- Michael Jackson Feared Dying the Same Way as Elvis Presley - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 3rd, 2021
- All DLC Collectibles In Doctor Who: The Edge of Time, Explained - TheGamer - January 3rd, 2021
- This What We Do In The Shadows-style Skyrim mod makes your vampire hate food - PCGamesN - December 25th, 2020
- From Jude Law in the sea to bemused vampires: readers TV hits of lockdown - The Guardian - December 25th, 2020
- Ghost In The Shell Director Debuts New Vampire Anime Vlad Love On YouTube - GameRant - December 25th, 2020
- Skyrim: Hjaalmarch's 10 Most Interesting Unmarked Locations (& Where To Find Them) - GameRant - December 25th, 2020
- Anya Taylor-Joy On Bath Time, Feline Flicks And Her Interview With The Vampire Aesthetic - British Vogue - December 25th, 2020
- Why HBO's 'True Blood' Should Be Revived, Not Rebooted - TheThings - December 25th, 2020
- The Cast Of The Vampire Diaries, Ranked By Instagram Followers - TheThings - December 25th, 2020
- The Biggest Moment in the 'Twilight' Movie Is Also the Most Different From the Book, Which Might Have Been a Big Mistake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 25th, 2020
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest Coming to Switch - COGconnected - December 25th, 2020
- News Item: 2021 Sneak Peek from @CollectDST : Avatar, Invincible, Mandalorian and More! - Action Figure Insider - December 25th, 2020
- 'Buffy, the Vampire Slayer' Star Juliet Landau Shares the Heartbreaking Reason She Stopped Talking to Her Parents In Revealing New Movie - Showbiz... - December 22nd, 2020
- Our Number One Show Of 2020: What We Do In The Shadows - GameSpot - December 22nd, 2020
- Why It's Weird That The True Blood Reboot Was Such A Huge Secret - Screen Rant - December 22nd, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Characters To Invite Over For The Holidays (& 5 Who Would Be Terrible Guests) - Screen Rant - December 22nd, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Every Season Ranked Worst To Best - WhatCulture - December 22nd, 2020
- Stephenie Meyer Admitted a Will Ferrell Movie Inspired 'Twilight' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 22nd, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 4 Enjoining Ritual & Symbolism Explained - Screen Rant - December 22nd, 2020
- Music Scene: Stoughton's Mike Viola is still doing that thing he does - The Patriot Ledger - December 22nd, 2020
- Book Review: The Perfect Science Fiction, Fantasy and Genre-Bending Tales for the Chilly Days Ahead - Freepress Online - December 22nd, 2020
- The Falion secret that was never revealed in Skyrim - Looper - December 22nd, 2020
- The Originals: Why Klaus & Elijah Were Killed Off In The Series Finale - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Why The First Evil Disappeared Until Season 7 - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- Bette Midler calls Trump a 'vampire' and says someone needs to 'drive a stake through his heart' - Washington Examiner - December 21st, 2020
- Jessica Chastain Wears The Vampires Wife Mini Dress While Listening To Mariah Carey - Celebrity Insider - December 21st, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Quiz: Who Said It Buffy Or Faith? - WhatCulture - December 21st, 2020
- Supernatural: 10 Worst Decisions By The Main Characters, Ranked - Screen Rant - December 21st, 2020
- 10 Shows To Watch If You Love The Originals | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - December 14th, 2020
- 32 Things We Learned from the Blade Commentary - Film School Rejects - December 14th, 2020
- Twilight Characters Ranked Least To Most Likely To Win The Hunger Games - Screen Rant - December 14th, 2020
- Only A True Vampire Diaries Fan Can Score 20/20 On This Bonnie Bennett Quiz! - WhatCulture - December 14th, 2020
- Playboi Carti Hits Kanye West's Compound With The Vampire Vibes - HotNewHipHop - December 14th, 2020
- Hailie Jade: Eminems daughter obsessed with The Vampire Diaries? - The News International - December 12th, 2020
- 'True Blood' reboot in the works - The New Indian Express - December 12th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 10 Things About Witches That Still Don't Make Sense - Screen Rant - December 10th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 10 Characters Who Just Didn't Look Right In The Show - Screen Rant - December 10th, 2020
- Twilight: 5 Reasons Alice is the Best Cullen (& 5 Why It's Carlisle) - Screen Rant - December 10th, 2020
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Faith and Wesley Just Joined the New Scooby Gang - CBR - Comic Book Resources - December 10th, 2020
- Why The Buffy The Vampire Slayer Reboot Should Explore The Slayer's Origins - Screen Rant - December 10th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: 5 Reasons Klaus Was The Scariest Original (& 5 Reasons It Was Elijah) - Screen Rant - December 10th, 2020
- David Boreanaz won't return to Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Roanoke Times - December 10th, 2020
- Vampire Movie CLIMATE OF THE HUNTER Hits Theaters December 18th - We Are Movie Geeks - December 10th, 2020
- 'The Vampires Diaries' Stars Were Once Arrested Together for 'Flashing' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 10th, 2020
- Ian Somerhalder birthday: 10 pictures of 'The Vampire Diaries' star that show why he's the heartthrob of many! - Sahiwal Tv - December 10th, 2020
- Why Buffy and Sailor Moon are really the same show - Looper - December 10th, 2020
- The Greatest Movie Vampires of All Time - Flickering Myth - November 30th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The First Evil's Powers & Origin Explained - Screen Rant - November 25th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Has a Multiverse Now - ComicBook.com - November 25th, 2020
- Casting Buffy The Vampire Slayer Reboot - WhatCulture - November 25th, 2020
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Big Bads, Ranked From Most Heroic To Most Villainous - Screen Rant - November 25th, 2020
- Combatting Book Shame and Reading Outside Your Comfort Zone - tor.com - November 25th, 2020
- This Week in Genre History: Twilight was the dawn of a new age and made vampires sparkle - SYFY WIRE - November 25th, 2020
- Spin-off is linked to the universe of The Vampire Diaries - Somag News - November 25th, 2020
- Buffy: Do Spike and Buffy love each other? - Express - November 25th, 2020
- Is another 'Vampire Diaries' spinoff coming to The CW? All the details - Film Daily - November 18th, 2020
- Spurs, furs, and vampires: The science of venomous mammals - ScienceNordic - November 18th, 2020
- "The Vampire Diaries" Co-Stars Nina Dobrev and Paul Wesley Joke That Justin Bieber is Their Love Child - Seventeen.com - November 18th, 2020
- The Hesketh Vampire might have saved the British motorcycle industry - Yahoo News UK - November 18th, 2020
- 'The Originals': Charles Michael Davis Auditioned For 'TVD' Multiple Times Before Landing the Role of Marcel - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 18th, 2020
- New Trailer For Horror Film Blood Vessels Released And It's All About Nazi Vampires - Small Screen - November 9th, 2020
- those animated subpages you may have missed on the platform - The Courier - November 9th, 2020
- Ant Anstead Poses with Son Hudson Dressed as a Baby Vampire in Extremely Cute Halloween Pic - AmoMama - November 9th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero