A great villain is everything. And everyone seems to have an opinion on who the greatest villain is. But the truth is, every great writer makes sure they have a villain that's designed to be the most suitable and effective for that precise story. But it's not just cinema that has fantastically nasty villains. Television is also filled with memorable antagonists, and this includes Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
Of course, Buffy is the show that made Sarah Michelle Gellar a major celebrity. But it was also a show that featured some of the most memorable villains around. And this includes The Nerd Villians. Thanks to a detailed account by Vulture, we now know how and why Joss Whedon and the writers of Buffy created these three memorable characters.
Like nearly every television show, Buffy The Vampire Slayer featured a new villain for Buffy to deal with every season. Most of the time, government officials or vampires were the villains. Sometimes even gods were. But for the sixth season of the show, creating a villain was particularly challenging. This is because Buffy had actually died in the finale of the fifth season. She was in the process of being brought back from the dead so the show required a slightly lighter nemesis for her to battle.
Ultimately, the writers came up with the idea of bringing in three social pariahs from Buffy's old high school. They were previously-seen characters Jonathan Levinson and Warren Mears. Then there was Andrew Wells, the younger brother of the techy triumvirate.
Related: How 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Unintentionally Created 'Batman Beyond'
The three characters were known as 'The Nerds' and their story explored the extreme consequences of bullying.
"I remember Joss pitching the two Big Bads of the season. One was going to be Dark Willow, and the other was going to be these three nerds," writer, director, and producer Doug Petrie told Vulture. "We realized these guys could be a gateway into Willows darker self. They were going to mess around and get in way over their heads. Nerd empowerment gone horribly wrong."
Also, Jonathan and Warren, who were previously established, were deemed 'successful characters' and were worth keeping around.
"I was at the grocery store and the checkout man said to me, 'You were on Buffy.' [I said,] 'Yes.' [And he said,] 'And youre coming back!' [I said,] 'Thats right!' [He goes,] 'And youre going to be in a trio with Jonathan and someone else' I didnt know that," Adam Busch, who played Warren Mears admitted. "Thats when I realized the reach of the fans and how they consistently knew more than I did."
The writers knew that Jonathan and Warren were perfect for the villains, but then they were looking at Tucker (played by Brad Kane) from the third season episode "Prom" as the third. But he was unavailable. Instead,
"So we started talking about what if Tucker had a brother?" Jane Espenson, a writer on the show, told Vulture. "I said, 'His name should start with an A' Because if you have Jonathan and Warren, then they can name themselves JAW as an acronym! Joss was like, 'Great! Lets name him Andrew.' We never ended up using JAW, but thats why his name starts with an A."
While Jane said that was the reason for the choice, Doug Petrie said she was "full of s***"...
"Nobody supported that idea, I can tell you that right now! Thats hilarious," Doug said. "I did pitch now Im going to do my version of it that we could call them the Threesome or the Threeway. And I literally didnt think of it that way. And they were like, 'Um, thats going to be a problem.' And then I double-downed on it, and I said, 'They should say, 'Its an awesome name,' and not understand why everyones laughing at them when they say, 'Were the Threeway!' That got no traction whatsoever. Who knew that that many people would say no to a threesome? But live and learn."
Related: 6 DC Villains Who Deserve Their Own Solo Films (6 We Don't Need)
In the original script, Tucker/Andrew was supposed to be the leader of The Trio of Nerds. But that's not the way that actor Tom Lenk approached the character.
"Tom played the part totally differently than we had intended it, which was more Tucker-ish, really into the adventure," Jane said. "They were firing off their jet packs and flying off, and his line was [in bold tone], 'All systems go, blast off!' And Tom did it [sounding a bit frazzled], 'All systems go blast off?' Like he was sorta into it, but scared about what this jet pack was going to do. So we wrote the character with more of Toms take taking away the bravado and making it false bravado."
This made the character far more interesting and true to his nerdy self.
As for Jonathan, the writers had a lot more fun figuring him out in the room.
"In my mind, Jonathan went from, Yeah, Buffy saves you but youre still powerless, you still love the things you love, you meet other people who love the things you love, who have an agenda," Jane said of the character. "You can embrace all the fun stuff about being a supervillain without understanding that there is pain and loss for the good guys at the same time. And Warren is a genuinely bad guy. He is a misogynist."
On Buffy The Vampire Slayer, whenever a character was misogynistic or racist or homophobic, karma would almost always come back and bite them in the butt. And that's precisely what happened with Warren and the other members of the nerds.
Next: The Real Reason David Boreanaz Was Cast On 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer'
How Close Was Alexander Skarsgard To Playing Thor?
Dylan Parker is a list and content writer working for Valnet Inc. He's written for The Things, The Talko, Baby Gaga, Moms, and Screen Rant. He specializes in entertainment, film, and celebrity news. Dylan has also written for Narcity and various other entertainment, food, and travel publications.
Read the original here:
'Buffy The Vampire Slayer': The Truth About The Nerd Villains - TheThings
- The best new books to read in September as selected by avid readers and critics - ABC News - September 5th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Blood Red Sky' really didn't have to be so dang sad - Mashable - August 10th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer spin-off announced with Willow's witch daughter becoming new slayer - PinkNews - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald The Vampire: Jacob Batalon To Lead Dramedy In Development At Syfy - Deadline - August 10th, 2021
- Vampires Anonymous (a Very Short Play in One Act) - Patheos - August 10th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Is Getting a Sequel Starring Willows Daughter - ComicBook.com - August 10th, 2021
- Questionable Things We Ignore In The Underworld Franchise - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald the Vampire: Jacob Batalon Tapped to Lead SYFY Series - Bleeding Cool News - August 10th, 2021
- Reginald, the vampire: Jacob Batalon will be a vampire in a television series based on a childrens romance novel - Designer Women - August 10th, 2021
- Graphic Novel BLACULA Will Revive the Iconic Vampire in a New Era - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- The Weekly Pull: American Vampire 1976, Hellions, The Me You Love in the Dark, and More - ComicBook.com - August 10th, 2021
- Jakob's Wife Offers Convincing Proof That Horror Is the Ultimate Glow-Up - Gizmodo - August 10th, 2021
- '13 Fanboy': 'Friday the 13th' Fan Film Featuring Franchise Stars Including Kane Hodder Will Be Released in October - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- 'Jakob's Wife' MOVIE REVIEW: The Preacher's Wife Bites Back in Shudder's Solid Vampire Flick - Screen Realm - August 10th, 2021
- VAMPIRES EVERYWHERE Returns with New Track WITCH - OUTBURN ONLINE - Outburn - July 26th, 2021
- Strange Frontier: NEAR DARK And The Birth Of The American Vampire - FANGORIA - July 1st, 2021
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong Confirmed For NaconConnect On July 6 - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2021
- AceWeb Internet Home Page - AceWeb Internet - June 1st, 2021
- The Sexiest Vampires in TV and Film - Nerdist - June 1st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead 2 Will Reportedly Have Vampires - We Got This Covered - June 1st, 2021
- How Castlevania's Series Finale Was All About The Importance Of Change - The Workprint - June 1st, 2021
- Horror God Vincent Price Never Actually Played a Vampire - Nerdist - June 1st, 2021
- Will Swenson Joins the Cast of Netflix Vampire Series FIRST KILL - Broadway World - June 1st, 2021
- Top Vampire Anime That You Should Never Miss - OtakuKart - June 1st, 2021
- The Buffy Episode That Changed Everything - Vulture - June 1st, 2021
- Comics Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot Crosses Over With Original Series - ComicBook.com - June 1st, 2021
- Want To Meet a Vampire? 'Buffy's James Marsters Will Be at FanExpo Dallas and MegaCon Orlando - Nerds and Beyond - June 1st, 2021
- Van Helsing recap: 'Graveyard Smash' gives us a miraculous case of dj vu - SYFY WIRE - June 1st, 2021
- Vampire Diaries creator is making another show about Vampires! - Dankanator - June 1st, 2021
- 'Vampire Fish' spotted twice in American River, suggesting its return to the area - Fox News - May 21st, 2021
- Tragic Hot Vampires Will Be Back On Screen in Remake of The Hunger - tor.com - May 21st, 2021
- As Fantasia unveils its first wave of programming, vampires and Estonian demonic spirits are in - Cineuropa - May 21st, 2021
- Full-Grown 'Vampire Fish' Spotted in the American River - Active NorCal - May 21st, 2021
- Bumblebee Director Travis Knight To Helm Netflixs Vampire Action Thriller Uprising - Deadline - May 21st, 2021
- THE HUNGER: Remake Of Tony Scott's Steamy 1983 Vampire Drama In The Works At Warner Bros. - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - May 21st, 2021
- Return of the vampire: Much-loved stage show returns to Melbourne - 9News - May 21st, 2021
- Will Gould talks Salem, falling in love with vampires, and what's next for Creeper Kerrang! - Kerrang! - May 8th, 2021
- Marvel Vampires in The Daily LITG - Easter Monday, 5th April 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - April 5th, 2021
- 15 Fang-tastic Vampire Romance and Romantic Fiction Books - Book Riot - April 5th, 2021
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney's new book inspired by scary times - Hindustan Times - April 5th, 2021
- A Buffy The Vampire Slayer Reboot Will Not Have Sarah Michelle Gellar On Board, She Says - Deadline - February 20th, 2021
- Vampires have more heart than Ted Cruz: Tanden atones for past tweets - POLITICO - February 10th, 2021
- A rare observation of a vampire bat adopting an unrelated pup - The Ohio State University News - February 10th, 2021
- An Orphaned Vampire Bat Pup Was Adopted By Its Mother's Best Friend - IFLScience - February 10th, 2021
- Vampire bat adopts orphan baby bat after untimely death of its mother - New Scientist News - February 10th, 2021
- BUFFERING THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Musical Episode Out Today - Broadway World - February 10th, 2021
- Vampire Diaries: 5 Characters Who Were Smarter Than They Seemed (& 5 Vice Versa) - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- WandaVision Actor On Why Her Buffy The Vampire Slayer Role Was Perfect - Exclusive - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- Glenn Danzig Covers the Old West in Blood in Death Rider in the House of Vampires Trailer (Exclusive Video) - TheWrap - February 9th, 2021
- How to Play the Vampire Role Mod in Among Us | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- Big ladies of Zelda that rival the Tall Vampire Lady - iMore - February 9th, 2021
- Ames Library Notes: Monsters in books and film - Ames Tribune - February 9th, 2021
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Or Teen Wolf Quiz: Who Said It - Xander Or Stiles? - WhatCulture - February 9th, 2021
- Trailer for Filmax's Coming-of-Age Vampire Film 'All the Moons' - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
- Movie Vampires, Ranked From Most To Least Likely To Win The Hunger Games - Screen Rant - February 6th, 2021
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Lost Slayer Is Hunting Giles | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 6th, 2021
- Marvel's Blade Reboot Gets a New Title in the MCU - MovieWeb - February 6th, 2021
- Let's Celebrate Some Superb Owls 'With What We Do in the Shadows' The Mary Sue - The Mary Sue - February 6th, 2021
- 'A Discovery of Witches' Review: Vampire Fathers are Blunt and Nosy - The Workprint - February 6th, 2021
- Exclusive! Harsh Rajput: Naagin, daayan, vampires have been part of Indian stories for ages; they are not - Times of India - January 31st, 2021
- Twilight: What Happened To Bree Tanner Before Eclipse - Screen Rant - January 31st, 2021
- The Return Of The Black And White Indie Vampire Comic - Bleeding Cool News - January 31st, 2021
- MORBIUS Star Jared Leto Confident The Living Vampire Will One Day Meet Blade; Confirms More Reshoots - Comic Book Movie - January 31st, 2021
- Gerard Marr 2021: Boys from County Hell, a vampire film in the Shawn tradition of the dead - SwordsToday.ie - January 31st, 2021
- The Vampire Diaries: You'll Never Get 100% On This Elena Gilbert Quiz - WhatCulture - January 31st, 2021
- The Originals: You'll Never Get 100% On This Elijah Mikaelson Quiz - WhatCulture - January 31st, 2021
- Jared Leto says Morbius the vampire is a bit closer to who I am - Polygon - January 30th, 2021
- The Real Reason These Actors Left The Vampire Diaries - Looper - January 30th, 2021
- 'WandaVision' star addresses 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' fan theory - NME - January 30th, 2021
- What We Do In The Shadows Star Wants To Explore Guillermos Lineage - Screen Rant - January 30th, 2021
- Jared Leto Can See a Morbius Vs. Blade MCU Crossover Happening in the Future - MovieWeb - January 30th, 2021
- What We Do in the Shadows S03: Harvey Guilln Talks Guillermo Wishlist - Bleeding Cool News - January 30th, 2021
- A Discovery of Witches Season 2 Episode 4 Review: Blood Rage - Den of Geek - January 30th, 2021
- Jared Leto says Morbius the vampire is a 'bit closer to who I am' - Report Door - January 30th, 2021
- Nina Dobrev Confesses She Misses Being 'Attacked' While Working On 'The Vampire Diaries' - TheThings - January 30th, 2021
- Im a vampire when it comes to actors of certain age playing heroes: Adnan Siddiqui - The Express Tribune - January 30th, 2021
- The Hardest Buffy The Vampire Slayer True Or False Quiz Ever New - WhatCulture - January 30th, 2021
- 'Vampire' house with 'terrifying' cellar causes a stir as it goes on sale - Daily Star - January 30th, 2021
- "Legacies" Is Putting on a "The Vampire Diaries" Musical This Season - Seventeen.com - January 27th, 2021
- When will The Vampire Diaries & The Originals Leave Netflix? - What's on Netflix - January 27th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero