If you haven’t been following the story of Erin Corwin and Chris Lee, this video will catch you up. Brett Kelman / The Desert Sun
This undated photo released by the San Bernardino County, Calif., Sheriff’s Department shows Christopher Brandon Lee after an arrest in another investigation. The body of the missing, pregnant wife of a U.S. Marine has been found deep in an abandoned mine shaft in Southern California, where her husband had been stationed. Sheriff John McMahon said Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, that the remains of 20-year-old Erin Corwin were found Saturday, Aug. 16, and were identified by dental records Sunday. Her alleged lover and former neighbor, Christopher Brandon Lee, 24, was arrested at 9 p.m. Sunday at a traffic stop in Anchorage, Alaska, on an extradition warrant out of California. (AP Photo/San Bernardino County Sheriff)(Photo: AP)
A former Twentynine Palms Marine continued testifying Tuesday thathe killed his 19-year-old loverbefore disposing of her body in a 140-foot mine shaft, where it remained for weeks as a community rallied to find the missing woman.
Christopher Lee testified in San Bernardino County Superior Court he strangled Erin Corwin during a fit of anger but he’s since calmed down and wants to come clean.
“I’m no longer scared to tell the truth. People have to know what I did,” Lee testified as his criminal trial resumed.
Deputy District AttorneySean Daugherty asked Lee if he’s the one whokilled Corwin, and Lee said “Yes I am.” Daugherty asked if he’s the one who strangled her, and Lee said “Yes I am.”
Closing arguments are scheduled for Wednesday.
Corwin, who was married to another Marine from the MarineCorps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, disappeared in June 2014. After a nearly two-month search, her body was found hidden in an abandonedmine shaft in a remote area of the high desert near Joshua Tree National Park.
PREVIOUSLY:Opening statements|Erin Corwin expected proposal the day she disappeared
Leewas arrested in August 2014in Alaska, where he and his family moved after Corwin went missing. Prosecutors have said they think Lee lured Corwin into the desert and killed her to hide an affair between the two.
Officials say Corwin was pregnant and Lee was the child’s father.
Prosecutors displayed a photo of Corwin’s bloody and crumpled body. It was on a screen directly behind the witness stand, where Lee sat as he calmly provided details about the night Corwin died.
THE COLDEST CASE:45 years ago, a Palm Springs woman was killed for $7. Her murder became the oldest solved Cold Case in the county
PINYON PINES TRIPLE-HOMICIDE:Two co-defendants found guilty in case; case to be appealed
The pair rendezvoused for what Corwin believed would be a romantic evening with a marriage proposal. They ended up outside the mineand argued because Lee, who’d been suicidal for a month and played Russian Roulette, wanted to attempt suicide outside the mine.
He’d been distraught, in part, because he was denied deployment – an act the defendant considered heroic among Marines. Lee also became angry becausehe said he suspected Corwin molested his daughter.
“I made the decision to kill her,” Lee testified. “I was controlled by the anger. The hate I felt that day, it was something I never want to experience again.”
Lee said he approached Corwinfrom behind and strangled her for at least five minutes with a garrote made up of two pieces of rebar and a cord. He released his hold and her body fell to the ground. He spent 30 seconds checking if she was alive, but found no signs of life.
PALM SPRINGS COPS KILLED:As bullets flew, Palm Springs cops rushed into line of fire to recover their fallen friends
MARINE NEWS:Former Marine guilty of Coachella Valley spree killings
The defendant testified he then dragged the body to the mineshaft and pushed Corwinin head first. The prosecution showed a video of the mine shaft and Corwin’s right foot was visible among other debris that’s considered evidence. Evidence also included the garroteand a propane tank similar to one Lee owned.
Lee’s attorney, David Kaloyanides, briefly questioned his client, trying to emphasize that the killing was not pre-meditated. But Daugherty chastised Lee for constantly lying to investigators and not admitting his involvement until he was in court in front of an audience.
“You chose to do it in front of the jury,” Daugherty said. “It’s about you; you wanted attention.”
Lee is charged with first-degree murder with a sentencing enhancement for intentionally killing Corwin by means of lying in wait.
Follow updates from Lee’s testimony below:
(App users, tap here to see updates.)
Christopher Lee is shown in San Bernardino County Superior Court in this file photo. He’s accused of killing Erin Corwin, a Marine wife who disappeared and was found in a mine shaft in August.(Photo: The Desert Sun)
Read or Share this story: https://desert.sn/2faAZQn
- Christopher Lee Price execution: Alabama executes man for ... - May 31st, 2019
- Death penalty: Alabama set to execute Christopher Lee ... - May 31st, 2019
- The Pandora Society Sir Christopher Lees Top Five Movie Roles. - May 28th, 2019
- Christopher Lee's photo scrapbooks with previously unseen images ... - May 28th, 2019
- BFI acquires three never-before-seen Christopher Lee ... - May 23rd, 2019
- Tottenham Hotspur Stadium by Populous is "best stadium in the ... - May 4th, 2019
- Melbourne doctor who called for women to be raped stood down ... - May 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 15th, 2019
- Sword and dagger killer Christopher Lee Price: Alabama ... - April 13th, 2019
- Alabama inmate Christopher Lee Price spared lethal injection ... - April 12th, 2019
- A Heavy Metal Christmas by Christopher Lee on Amazon Music ... - April 10th, 2019
- Sir Christopher Lee | The One Wiki to Rule Them All | FANDOM ... - April 7th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - cinemorgue.fandom.com - March 18th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Hammer House Of Horror Wiki | FANDOM ... - March 17th, 2019
- 'Star Wars:' Christopher Lee's Count Dooku fight - Business ... - March 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - seyfarth.com - March 1st, 2019
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero