If you haven't been following the story of Erin Corwin and Chris Lee, this video will catch you up. Brett Kelman / The Desert Sun
This undated photo released by the San Bernardino County, Calif., Sheriff's Department shows Christopher Brandon Lee after an arrest in another investigation. The body of the missing, pregnant wife of a U.S. Marine has been found deep in an abandoned mine shaft in Southern California, where her husband had been stationed. Sheriff John McMahon said Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, that the remains of 20-year-old Erin Corwin were found Saturday, Aug. 16, and were identified by dental records Sunday. Her alleged lover and former neighbor, Christopher Brandon Lee, 24, was arrested at 9 p.m. Sunday at a traffic stop in Anchorage, Alaska, on an extradition warrant out of California. (AP Photo/San Bernardino County Sheriff)(Photo: AP)
A former Twentynine Palms Marine continued testifying Tuesday thathe killed his 19-year-old loverbefore disposing of her body in a 140-foot mine shaft, where it remained for weeks as a community rallied to find the missing woman.
Christopher Lee testified in San Bernardino County Superior Court he strangled Erin Corwin during a fit of anger but he's since calmed down and wants to come clean.
"I'm no longer scared to tell the truth. People have to know what I did," Lee testified as his criminal trial resumed.
Deputy District AttorneySean Daugherty asked Lee if he's the one whokilled Corwin, and Lee said "Yes I am." Daugherty asked if he's the one who strangled her, and Lee said "Yes I am."
Closing arguments are scheduled for Wednesday.
Corwin, who was married to another Marine from the MarineCorps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, disappeared in June 2014. After a nearly two-month search, her body was found hidden in an abandonedmine shaft in a remote area of the high desert near Joshua Tree National Park.
PREVIOUSLY:Opening statements|Erin Corwin expected proposal the day she disappeared
Leewas arrested in August 2014in Alaska, where he and his family moved after Corwin went missing. Prosecutors have said they think Lee lured Corwin into the desert and killed her to hide an affair between the two.
Officials say Corwin was pregnant and Lee was the child's father.
Prosecutors displayed a photo of Corwin's bloody and crumpled body. It was on a screen directly behind the witness stand, where Lee sat as he calmly provided details about the night Corwin died.
THE COLDEST CASE:45 years ago, a Palm Springs woman was killed for $7. Her murder became the oldest solved Cold Case in the county
PINYON PINES TRIPLE-HOMICIDE:Two co-defendants found guilty in case; case to be appealed
The pair rendezvoused for what Corwin believed would be a romantic evening with a marriage proposal. They ended up outside the mineand argued because Lee, who'd been suicidal for a month and played Russian Roulette, wanted to attempt suicide outside the mine.
He'd been distraught, in part, because he was denied deployment - an act the defendant considered heroic among Marines. Lee also became angry becausehe said he suspected Corwin molested his daughter.
"I made the decision to kill her," Lee testified. "I was controlled by the anger. The hate I felt that day, it was something I never want to experience again."
Lee said he approached Corwinfrom behind and strangled her for at least five minutes with a garrote made up of two pieces of rebar and a cord. He released his hold and her body fell to the ground. He spent 30 seconds checking if she was alive, but found no signs of life.
PALM SPRINGS COPS KILLED:As bullets flew, Palm Springs cops rushed into line of fire to recover their fallen friends
MARINE NEWS:Former Marine guilty of Coachella Valley spree killings
The defendant testified he then dragged the body to the mineshaft and pushed Corwinin head first. The prosecution showed a video of the mine shaft and Corwin's right foot was visible among other debris that's considered evidence. Evidence also included the garroteand a propane tank similar to one Lee owned.
Lee's attorney, David Kaloyanides, briefly questioned his client, trying to emphasize that the killing was not pre-meditated. But Daugherty chastised Lee for constantly lying to investigators and not admitting his involvement until he was in court in front of an audience.
"You chose to do it in front of the jury," Daugherty said. "It's about you; you wanted attention."
Lee is charged with first-degree murder with a sentencing enhancement for intentionally killing Corwin by means of lying in wait.
Follow updates from Lee's testimony below:
(App users, tap here to see updates.)
Christopher Lee is shown in San Bernardino County Superior Court in this file photo. He's accused of killing Erin Corwin, a Marine wife who disappeared and was found in a mine shaft in August.(Photo: The Desert Sun)
Read or Share this story: https://desert.sn/2faAZQn
- Webinar: What past YAYA winners did next | Information - BD - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Building Design to announce AYA and YAYA shortlists in action-packed day - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Bookins | News - Evening News and Tribune - July 7th, 2020
- Sarah Wright steps into the role of Lee Town Moderator - theberkshireedge.com - July 7th, 2020
- From the Archives: Christopher Lee dies at 93; screen star ... - July 6th, 2020
- Everything Christopher Lee Did After The Man Who Could Cheat Death - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Theresa Stokes - Obituary - Legacy.com - July 6th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: Why The Two Towers Book & Movie End Differently - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Patients Entrust Their Lives On Admission, Not To Get A Free Cremation' - CodeBlue - July 6th, 2020
- Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher 3 Could Have Been Rated R | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Dil Bechara' and the long tradition of the posthumous release - Livemint - July 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 and CHOP could benefit Snohomish County real estate - The Daily Herald - July 3rd, 2020
- The woman who helped restore a north-east church by creating a 'Dracula Salad' - Press and Journal - July 3rd, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of July 5, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 3rd, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things We'd Change About Attack of the Clones (& 5 Things We'd Keep The Same) - Screen Rant - July 3rd, 2020
- [Update] When is Claes Bang Returning with Dracula Season 2 Release Date, Plot Details and Theories - Gizmo Blaze - July 3rd, 2020
- Property Transactions: July 1 | Business - news-herald.net - July 1st, 2020
- FOR THE RECORD - Daily Mountain Eagle - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Great Weird Movies Available on Midnight Pulp - ComingSoon.net - July 1st, 2020
- Moving On | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 29th, 2020
- Inflatable pilots, inappropriate jokes and 'jive talk': the madcap making of Airplane! - Telegraph.co.uk - June 29th, 2020
- Arrest Reports - The Daily Iberian - June 28th, 2020
- Second man arrested in connection with June 15 Copperas Cove shooting - Coveleaderpress - June 26th, 2020
- Petition seeks to replace Christopher Columbus statue in Cleveland's Little Italy with one of Ettore Boiardi, aka 'Chef Boyardee' - WKYC.com - June 26th, 2020
- Western Nevada College's Record Graduating Class of 2020 honored in drive-through ceremony - Carson Now - June 26th, 2020
- Harnett County man charged in shooting that left Benson man dead - The Fayetteville Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Film and TV Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Fantha Tracks - June 25th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 10 Things Everyone Forgets About The 2008 Animated Movie - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- The Earth Dies Screaming is a proto Night Of The Living Dead - News Lagoon - June 25th, 2020
- Lee students receive DeCA scholarships - Public Affairs Office of Headquarters, US Army Combined Arms Support Command and Fort Lee - June 25th, 2020
- WILSON, WILLIAM - Richmond.com - June 25th, 2020
- Case Closed for the week of June 15-June 19, 2020 | Police beat - yoursun.com - June 21st, 2020
- More Bond Girls Have Died Than There Have Been James Bond Movies - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- JOE CORNISH AND JOHN BOYEGA STILL WANT TO MAKE THAT 'ATTACK THE BLOCK' SEQUEL - HorrorCultFilms - June 20th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of June 21, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - June 20th, 2020
- Industry bodies join forces to deal with climate risks - Insurance Business Australia - June 19th, 2020
- News | After Court Victory, RIC's Office of Community, Equity and Diversity Reacts - Rhode Island College News - June 19th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in connection with online orders at Wal-Mart in The Villages - Villages-News - June 19th, 2020
- Fann Wong goes on baking spree at home - straits times - June 19th, 2020
- 100 Best spy movies of all time - WRCB-TV - June 19th, 2020
- WANTED: Suspected Scam Artist May Still Be Operating in the River Region - Alabama News Network - June 18th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - June 15th, 2020
- Hometowns give you good memories; be proud of where you are from - Laurinburg Exchange - June 15th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH Was Unleashed in 1990 - Dread Central - June 15th, 2020
- TV program The 7 must-see tv this week: the Lord of The rings: the two towers, I'm not your black Baby Driver - D1SoftballNews.com - June 15th, 2020
- The best thriller movies on Netflix (June 2020) - Monsters and Critics - June 15th, 2020
- Slidell High School congratulates the Class of 2020 and its top scholars - NOLA.com - June 15th, 2020
- Elkins High honor roll announced | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 15th, 2020
- A Boise church repents and will remove a Confederate icon. Are others in Idaho next? - The Spokesman-Review - June 15th, 2020
- Christopher Lee Badass of the Week - June 13th, 2020
- James Bond: Every Bond Girl Who Died | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - NWAOnline - June 12th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 5 Ways The TV Show Changed After The Movie's Debut (& 5 Ways It Stayed The Same) - Screen Rant - June 12th, 2020
- No makeup, no problem: Fann Wong, Rebecca Lim and more prove that makeup is way overrated - AsiaOne - June 12th, 2020
- A Boise church 'repents' and will remove stained-glass window of Confederate General Robert E. Lee - East Idaho News - June 12th, 2020
- Band-Aid will make black and brown flesh-toned bandages to 'embrace the beauty of diverse skin' - SCNow - June 12th, 2020
- The Final Features From 10 Iconic Horror Directors, Ranked According To IMDb - Screen Rant - June 11th, 2020
- Live Protest Updates: Protesters Drop Red Paint On Streets During March From East Harlem To Wall Street - Gothamist - June 11th, 2020
- W&M community stands together amid 'sorrow and awakening' at virtual vigil - William & Mary News - June 11th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Times Union - June 11th, 2020
- Dracula Reboot To Be More Faithful To Original Novel Than Past Adaptations - Screen Rant - June 10th, 2020
- Court news June 9 - The Republic - June 10th, 2020
- Protesters tear down Christopher Columbus statue in Richmond, then throw it in a lake - WTHR - June 10th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Chron.com - June 10th, 2020
- Facts about Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh - Tatler - June 10th, 2020
- It happened today - this day in history - June 7 - Yellow Advertiser - June 7th, 2020
- Fann Wong still haunted by media report that she would have been 'submerged in a pig's cage' - AsiaOne - June 6th, 2020
- Police: Residents threatened with gun, turned into pursuit - KKTV 11 News - June 6th, 2020
- Whats on TV This Week: Martial arts star Bruce Lee on ESPN - Los Angeles Times - June 6th, 2020
- 10 Great Train Movies That Aren't Snowpiercer | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - June 6th, 2020
- Josh Gad Reunites 'Lord of the Rings' Cast Nearly 20 Years Later - TheWrap - June 4th, 2020
- Deluxe Corporation (DLX): Skating on Thin Ice? Beta Stands at 1.49 - The News Heater - June 4th, 2020
- Alliance High School's Class of 2020 - News - The Review - The-review - June 4th, 2020
- Property Transactions: June 3 | Business - news-herald.net - June 3rd, 2020
- Grand Forks School Board candidates offer perspectives on budget pressures, neighborhood schools - Grand Forks Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Liberty High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- West Branch High School Class of 2020 - The-review - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Riverside High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Easley High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the D.W. Daniel High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero