Salt, Fat, Acid, HeatBy Samin NosratSimon & Schuster480 pp; $47.00
Use your fingers to season food; say goodbye to the salt shaker. Use fat to create crisp, creamy, tender, and light textures. Use acid salts alter ego to balance flavour. Use your senses instead of timers when applying heat.
Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat (Simon & Schuster, 2017) represents 17 years of culinary experience. Chef and writer Samin Nosrat arrived at her theory of the four elements of good cooking through practice, using it as a mnemonic device to guide her.
The Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat theory slipped in alongside these philosophies that were handed down to me about cooking, which is the idea of practice makes perfect You have to travel and taste and learn every day, Nosrat says in an interview.
It was very much drilled into me that, You dont know anything until its reached a point where you dont have to think about it anymore. Where its just in your body; your mouth knows what to taste for and your hands know how to cut something.
Nosrat had only been cooking professionally for a year, at the esteemed Berkeley, Calif. restaurant Chez Panisse, when she first mentioned her four-element theory to a more experienced colleague, chef Christopher Lee.
It was just one of those moments where I really felt like Id stumbled onto something and I brought it to him and he just laughed, she says.
He was like, Oh, you think youve figured something out? We already all know that. But for me, what was so shocking in that moment was that I felt like I had come to this great realization. It wasnt a great realization because they already knew it, but nobody had ever told me.
When Nosrat started at Chez Panisse, she dove into the restaurants list of seminal cookbooks. What surprised her, she says, is that these guiding principles werent articulated in any of them. She knew then that she would eventually write a book on the subject. The only problem was, as a baby chef, she needed the expertise to back it up.
I got out a notepad, I started writing and I didnt have much to say, she says with a laugh. So, it stuck with me and it became the system that I was filing everything I learned into. Whether or not I was actively paying attention to it, everything seemed to naturally fall into these four elements, more or less.
Today, Nosrat is an accomplished instructor and has taught her theory to the likes of professional chefs, junior high school students and influential food writer Michael Pollan. (She appeared in his book, Cooked, and the Netflix docu-series of the same name.)
Whereas cookbooks squarely centre on recipes, Nosrat designed Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat to give people independence highlighting the science and techniques that underscore good cooking. This is a book that can help you decide what to cook, how to cook it and why.
Part One of the book is devoted to mastery of the four elements, Part Two includes 100 of Nosrats most essential and versatile recipes: e.g. a panzanella for every season, sweet corn soup, kuku sabzi (Persian herb and greens frittata), chicken confit, and all-butter pie dough.
My job in these recipes is to give you some room but also, very counter-intuitively to be as precise as possible and clear and thorough as possible so that you can get to the end and be successful, she says.
Whether using a recipe or improvising, Nosrat says the goal is cooking thoughtfully, with your senses. Considering salt, fat, acid and heat every time you cook; both before setting out and throughout the process.
She quotes the late chef Judy Rodgers of San Franciscos Zuni Caf, who once said, Recipes do not make food taste good; people do. Rather than abandoning critical thinking in favour of following a recipe, Nosrat writes, Be present. Stir, taste, adjust.
Graphic journalist Wendy MacNaughton collaborated with Nosrat on art for the book. 150 infographics and illustrations are peppered throughout: knife cuts are hand-drawn to scale and basic skills such as how to dice an onion are beautifully presented; charts and diagrams depict lessons such as when to salt your food.
Nosrat explains that her mission is to empower people to cook intuitively; to view recipes as inspiration rather than instructions. In this spirit, instead of showcasing immaculately-presented finished dishes in the book, she emphasizes concepts.
There is this disingenuousness built into the world were living in where people are being pelted with these ideas of what dinner should look like without the backstory. And thats a great disservice, Nosrat says.
What I was taught (as a cook) and certainly as a child even before I was a cook, was the importance of practice; the importance of messing up and trying again. That doesnt seem to come across in the extremely styled, glossy pictures of food and messages that were constantly getting about what our food should look like.
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Washington Post - August 5th, 2017
- Prince Philip waves goodbye to a career of service, dedication... and gaffes - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2017
- Prosecutors request more mental testing in Fayetteville murder case - Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 2nd, 2017
- Lake Charles man accused of choking pregnant woman in front of child - KATC Lafayette News - July 31st, 2017
- Lake Charles man charged after hitting pregnant woman in face, choking her until she passes out - 12newsnow.com - July 31st, 2017
- China Inc.'s Next Debt Headache Is $580 Billion of Put Options Coming Due - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- Tampa man arrested in fatal motel shooting | Tampa Bay Times - Tampabay.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Leslie Potts - Murfreesboro Post - July 31st, 2017
- LOVELL,, Harvey Lee - Roanoke Times - July 30th, 2017
- China Bond Buyers Quiz Taxi Drivers to See If a Credit Is Good - Bloomberg - July 30th, 2017
- Eiko Ishioka: Celebrating the designer's extraordinary costumes for Bram Stoker's Dracula - The Independent - July 12th, 2017
- Home Movies/Out on Digital: July 13, 2017 - Shepherd Express - July 11th, 2017
- Leptospirosis rears its ugly head - The Star Online - July 11th, 2017
- Arrests, July 11, 2017 - News-Press Now - July 11th, 2017
- Lubbock Police Arrest 16-Year-Old Boy Wanted in Murder - KFYO.com - News/Talk 790 KFYO - July 8th, 2017
- Teen arrested for Selma shooting that left star athlete dead - Idaho Statesman - July 8th, 2017
- Hip and shoulder ends police chase - Perth Now - July 6th, 2017
- Man in Mercedes who 'rammed' Fremantle parking inspector arrested after chase - WAtoday - July 6th, 2017
- Shooting suspect in Alamance jail - Burlington Times News - July 6th, 2017
- Shenandoah motorcycle driver killed in head-on crash - WHSV - July 6th, 2017
- Waynesboro man charged in fatal Rockingham crash - The Daily Progress - July 6th, 2017
- On the Record - Parkersburg News - July 5th, 2017
- Schumann-Devall - Effingham Daily News - July 5th, 2017
- China's $162 Billion of Dealmaker Debt Raises Alarm - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Golf: Arcola Cup welcomes met area's top amateurs - NorthJersey.com - July 2nd, 2017
- Attorneys ask Arkansas judge to quash interview - Arkansas Online - July 2nd, 2017
- From nothing to something: How hard work turned one Red Oak crack shot into 1 of Ellis County's best shooters and a ... - Waxahachie Daily Light - July 2nd, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero