Salt, Fat, Acid, HeatBy Samin NosratSimon & Schuster480 pp; $47.00
Use your fingers to season food; say goodbye to the salt shaker. Use fat to create crisp, creamy, tender, and light textures. Use acid salts alter ego to balance flavour. Use your senses instead of timers when applying heat.
Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat (Simon & Schuster, 2017) represents 17 years of culinary experience. Chef and writer Samin Nosrat arrived at her theory of the four elements of good cooking through practice, using it as a mnemonic device to guide her.
The Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat theory slipped in alongside these philosophies that were handed down to me about cooking, which is the idea of practice makes perfect You have to travel and taste and learn every day, Nosrat says in an interview.
It was very much drilled into me that, You dont know anything until its reached a point where you dont have to think about it anymore. Where its just in your body; your mouth knows what to taste for and your hands know how to cut something.
Nosrat had only been cooking professionally for a year, at the esteemed Berkeley, Calif. restaurant Chez Panisse, when she first mentioned her four-element theory to a more experienced colleague, chef Christopher Lee.
It was just one of those moments where I really felt like Id stumbled onto something and I brought it to him and he just laughed, she says.
He was like, Oh, you think youve figured something out? We already all know that. But for me, what was so shocking in that moment was that I felt like I had come to this great realization. It wasnt a great realization because they already knew it, but nobody had ever told me.
When Nosrat started at Chez Panisse, she dove into the restaurants list of seminal cookbooks. What surprised her, she says, is that these guiding principles werent articulated in any of them. She knew then that she would eventually write a book on the subject. The only problem was, as a baby chef, she needed the expertise to back it up.
I got out a notepad, I started writing and I didnt have much to say, she says with a laugh. So, it stuck with me and it became the system that I was filing everything I learned into. Whether or not I was actively paying attention to it, everything seemed to naturally fall into these four elements, more or less.
Today, Nosrat is an accomplished instructor and has taught her theory to the likes of professional chefs, junior high school students and influential food writer Michael Pollan. (She appeared in his book, Cooked, and the Netflix docu-series of the same name.)
Whereas cookbooks squarely centre on recipes, Nosrat designed Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat to give people independence highlighting the science and techniques that underscore good cooking. This is a book that can help you decide what to cook, how to cook it and why.
Part One of the book is devoted to mastery of the four elements, Part Two includes 100 of Nosrats most essential and versatile recipes: e.g. a panzanella for every season, sweet corn soup, kuku sabzi (Persian herb and greens frittata), chicken confit, and all-butter pie dough.
My job in these recipes is to give you some room but also, very counter-intuitively to be as precise as possible and clear and thorough as possible so that you can get to the end and be successful, she says.
Whether using a recipe or improvising, Nosrat says the goal is cooking thoughtfully, with your senses. Considering salt, fat, acid and heat every time you cook; both before setting out and throughout the process.
She quotes the late chef Judy Rodgers of San Franciscos Zuni Caf, who once said, Recipes do not make food taste good; people do. Rather than abandoning critical thinking in favour of following a recipe, Nosrat writes, Be present. Stir, taste, adjust.
Graphic journalist Wendy MacNaughton collaborated with Nosrat on art for the book. 150 infographics and illustrations are peppered throughout: knife cuts are hand-drawn to scale and basic skills such as how to dice an onion are beautifully presented; charts and diagrams depict lessons such as when to salt your food.
Nosrat explains that her mission is to empower people to cook intuitively; to view recipes as inspiration rather than instructions. In this spirit, instead of showcasing immaculately-presented finished dishes in the book, she emphasizes concepts.
There is this disingenuousness built into the world were living in where people are being pelted with these ideas of what dinner should look like without the backstory. And thats a great disservice, Nosrat says.
What I was taught (as a cook) and certainly as a child even before I was a cook, was the importance of practice; the importance of messing up and trying again. That doesnt seem to come across in the extremely styled, glossy pictures of food and messages that were constantly getting about what our food should look like.
- Darth Tyranus: What Count Dooku's Sith Name Really Means - Screen Rant - May 29th, 2020
- Entire Lord of the Rings cast to reunite for YouTube special this Sunday - The Independent - May 29th, 2020
- Clemit Lee Tullos - The Vicksburg Post - Vicksburg Post - May 29th, 2020
- Loyola's class of 2020 is honored at online 'brunch' with celebrities, music: See all names - NOLA.com - May 29th, 2020
- Wills Point man arrested after leading Terrell police on pursuit in stolen vehicle through multiple Dallas-area cities - inForney.com - May 28th, 2020
- Countdown to No Time To Die: The Top 10 Bond Villains - Flickering Myth - May 28th, 2020
- Our Pick of the Week Belongs to the Devil - Film School Rejects - May 28th, 2020
- Four men injured in an altercation in Rural Belize Love FM | Belize News and Music Power - LoveFM - May 28th, 2020
- 3 arrested in Carroll County shooting that killed woman, put kids in danger - Atlanta Journal Constitution - May 28th, 2020
- 'Detaining immigrants will make others go into hiding' - The Star Online - May 28th, 2020
- May 26, 2020: This Week on DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD - Feature - Moviebill - May 26th, 2020
- Dracula And Frankenstein Reboots Could Be On Their Way From Blumhouse - TheThings - May 26th, 2020
- World Dracula Day 2020: 5 Amazing Films Featuring the Gothic Character That Are a Must-Watch - News Brig - May 26th, 2020
- 'Lucky Grandma' review: Taking on the Chinese mob, with a cig and a sneer - Waterbury Republican American - May 26th, 2020
- The Clone Wars Celebrates the Prequel Trilogy as Its Own Distinct Version of Star Wars - The Escapist - May 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus in Texas: Bars, bowling alleys and other businesses can begin reopening Friday - KSAT San Antonio - May 25th, 2020
- Live Oak High School Class of 2020 | Livingston/Tangipahoa - The Advocate - May 25th, 2020
- Christopher Lee (historian) - Wikipedia - May 24th, 2020
- Eleven Of The Best Films On TV Tonight Friday May 22nd - Balls.ie - May 24th, 2020
- Why James Bond Doesn't Use A Walther PPK In Some Movies - Screen Rant - May 24th, 2020
- Revenge of The Sith Is Underrated. No, Really. - The Ringer - May 24th, 2020
- Arrest reports for the week of May 24, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 22nd, 2020
- Michael Parkinson and James Coburn? The story behind Wings' baffling cover for Band on the Run - Telegraph.co.uk - May 22nd, 2020
- Lucky Grandma review: Taking on the Chinese mob, with a cig and a sneer - The Columbus Dispatch - May 22nd, 2020
- 5 Animated Movies Cancers Will Identify With Most (& 5 To Avoid) - Screen Rant - May 20th, 2020
- Fred Willard Dies: Comedy Icon of Christopher Guests Best in Show and A Mighty Wind Was 86 - IndieWire - May 17th, 2020
- UFC on ESPN 8 play-by-play and live results - USA TODAY - May 17th, 2020
- Halloween: The Actress Who Almost Played Laurie Strode - Screen Rant - May 15th, 2020
- Convicted murderer Christopher Lees appeal is denied ... - May 15th, 2020
- In Conversation with Dame Harriet Walter - Cherwell Online - May 15th, 2020
- V7: Michael Christopher's 7 artists that should be huge - Vanyaland - May 15th, 2020
- 10 ounces of meth, more than $51K in cash seized during NW Georgia bust, cops say - Atlanta Journal Constitution - May 15th, 2020
- Worry as those with non-communicable diseases not seeking treatment - Free Malaysia Today - May 15th, 2020
- Blu-ray Review: The Curse Of The Werewolf (Collector's Edition) - Inside Pulse - May 15th, 2020
- PHOTO | Check out how the judges were scoring Glover Teixeira vs. Anthony Smith - BJPENN.COM - May 15th, 2020
- Ridgefield High announces third quarter honor roll - The Ridgefield Press - May 15th, 2020
- On the record for May 11 - Seymour Tribune - May 13th, 2020
- Evangeline Lilly and Luke Evans in theaters The Hobbit in Mexico - Code List - May 13th, 2020
- Star Wars Prequels: All The Best Easter Eggs We Missed In The Films - TheThings - May 13th, 2020
- Hugo (2011) reviewed by George - stopthefud - May 13th, 2020
- CILLAR LEE DAVIS of BREWTON, ALA. - The Brewton Standard - Brewton Standard - May 13th, 2020
- May 2020 Week 2 - stopthefud - May 13th, 2020
- May the 4th be with you! Ranking every 'Star Wars' movie ever made - WTOP - May 10th, 2020
- The Last Unicorn Is a Work of Art - WIRED - May 10th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of May 8 - ECM Publishers - May 10th, 2020
- How to Watch James Bond Movies in Order List of James Bond Movies in Order - Parade - May 10th, 2020
- Meet the Spring Class of 2020-Congratulations Graduates! | The Trumpet | WLU's Student News Source - The Trumpet Online - May 10th, 2020
- James Bond's Golden Gun Explained (and why it stinks in GoldenEye) - NewsDio - May 4th, 2020
- Actress Rebecca Lim shares who inspires her and is all for travelling solo - AsiaOne - May 4th, 2020
- How do you deal with mental health issues during the coronavirus pandemic? | St Albans and Harpenden News - Herts Advertiser - May 1st, 2020
- Countdown to 'Star Wars' Day: Why 'Episode II Attack of the Clones' is worth watching despite its weak plot - MEAWW - May 1st, 2020
- Killing Eve's Harriet Walter: "Women should be allowed to be controversial, difficult and rude" - harpersbazaar.com - May 1st, 2020
- How To Have A Colin Farrell Film Festival - ThatShelf.com - May 1st, 2020
- Property Transactions May 1, 2020 - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - May 1st, 2020
- Infinity and Beyond: Pixar's Ratatouille Revisited - /FILM - April 29th, 2020
- What to Stream: Forty-Six Films from OVID.tv, Crackle, and IFC Films Unlimited - The New Yorker - April 28th, 2020
- From Grindhouse Cinema to Invasion Narratives, Horror in the 1950s - CBR - Comic Book Resources - April 28th, 2020
- Actor Otto Mellies died at the age of 89 - International Law Lawyer News - April 28th, 2020
- Truck Chase in Belton - 106.3 WORD - April 27th, 2020
- Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones Retro Review - What's On Disney Plus - April 26th, 2020
- 'Viruses' on the Big Screen Movies about Pandemics - Ceylon Daily News - April 26th, 2020
- Michael Francis White Sr., 83, fellow of the National Heart Association's Council on Epidemiology - Williamsburg Yorktown Daily - April 26th, 2020
- Perspective: Malaysians need to prepare and adjust to new normal - The Edge Markets MY - April 26th, 2020
- Stars fire up their power to raise funds - The Straits Times - April 26th, 2020
- 10 Best Bond Villains, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - April 25th, 2020
- In 50 Texas counties without cases, is it a lack of the coronavirus or a lack of testing? - 550 KTSA - April 25th, 2020
- Despite Brian Kemp, AMC Wont Reopen Theaters Any Time Soon - Vanity Fair - April 25th, 2020
- Best of the 2010s: Boys Swimming - The Republic - April 22nd, 2020
- Archbishop Reinvents Resurrection Story . . . Lands in Hot Water! - The Star Newspaper - April 22nd, 2020
- Bingham Tabbed VaSID Indoor Track & Field Rookie of the Year and First Team All-State - Southern Virginia University News - April 22nd, 2020
- Why liking a picture of his son on Facebook landed dad in the cells - Grimsby Live - April 22nd, 2020
- Havea Named VaSID Women's Indoor First Team All-State - Southern Virginia University News - April 21st, 2020
- East Lyme Middle School Term 2 Honor Roll - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - April 21st, 2020
- Honor Roll Posted At Simsbury High School - Simsbury, CT Patch - April 21st, 2020
- Entertainment Starved Audiences Return to Auto Theatres - HNN Huntingtonnews.net - April 21st, 2020
- Man Charged with Kidnapping, Murder of 19-Year-Old Aniah Blanchard Charged with Biting Correction Officer - Alabama News Network - April 21st, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Nears End of Seven Season Run - MiceChat - April 19th, 2020
- 10 Classic Pieces Of Literature With The Most Cinematic Adaptations - Screen Rant - April 19th, 2020
- What lies inside the pond: Secrets to past and future life - The State Press - April 19th, 2020
- Gal Gadot picture and the covers of the magazine to disclose, Wonder Woman 1984 - Matzav Review - April 18th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero