After a planned far-right free speech rally disbanded, riot police and counter-protesters mostly young black men and far-left anti-fascists clashed in downtown Boston Saturday afternoon.
Police made 27 arrests throughout day, many of which involved battery against officers, Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said at a press conference. Some officers were even hit with bottles of urine, he added. During the clashes, however, counter-protesters wanted to know why officers were protecting who they called white supremacists.
Just a week after neo-Nazis and white supremacists terrorized Charlottesville, Virginia, leaving three dead, tensions were already running high in Boston. The alt-lite who, in theory, preach civic nationalism, rather than white nationalism planned to gather in Boston Common, the oldest city park in the U.S., to extol the virtues of free speech. While the rally said it opposed white supremacy, the Klu Klux Klans national leader saidearlier in the week that members from Massachusetts would show up.
But while Boston Police had planned for the possibility of another Charlottesville, the rally quickly fell apart.
An estimated 15,000 counter-protesters marched two miles toward Boston Common, chanting anti-Nazi slogans and forcing 50 rally members, VICE News estimates, into the parks bandstand, behind a police barrier. And when the far-right rally ended earlier then planned, law enforcement had to escort its attendees away from the park.
In the interest of their safety, police formed a line protecting the rally members and tried to load them into police vans. But the situation escalated. Groups of angry counter-protesters mobbed the attendees and started chanting, Who do you protect? Who do you serve? at the police.
A counter-protester and Boston police officer in riot gear stare each other down. They quietly exchanged words at one point.
Riot police began clearing the streets and pushing counter-protesters and media onto the sidewalks for the police vans to pass through. Police started handcuffing those who wouldnt comply.
At the intersection of Tremont and Boylston Streets, a group of counter-protesters lined-up before the row of riot police and started chanting free speech, free walk.
They also asked the officers why they were protecting rally attendees, whom they described as white supremacists.
A counter-protester stood watching the scene unfold without a word. Then, he began emotionally asking the riot police why theyre protecting rally attendees rather than them.
Another counter-protester stood in front of the wall of riot police, who knocked over a female photographer shortly after as they charged forward.
An officer in riot gear observed the escalating interactions between his fellow officers and counter-protesters.
After police had knocked several people over, including a photographer and a man with a walking cane, Christopher Lee, 23, re-approached the line.
A young woman, who had positioned herself on the front lines of the counter-protest, became overwhelmed and began crying.
After nearly an hour, crowds dispersed, and the police vans, filled with rally attendees, were finally able to pass through the streets. From there, riot police walked in the center of the street. One made a peace sign.
Soon after, President Donald Trump tweeted his praise for the Boston Police being tough and smart in their handling of anti-police agitators.
Go here to read the rest:
Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News
- How to turn racists genetic arguments against them - The Irish Times - February 13th, 2020
- Rasputin the Mad Monk (Blu-ray Review) - The Digital Bits - February 13th, 2020
- Danny Trejo is Officially The Most Killed Actor in Hollywood - TVOvermind - February 13th, 2020
- Prince George May Allegedly Never Become King Because Of British Monarchy Possibly Ending - International Business Times - February 13th, 2020
- The 10 Best Casts From 2000s Movies | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - February 13th, 2020
- Three indicted on unrelated assault charges | Crime - The Killeen Daily Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Black Sabbath Reflect on 50 Years of Debut LP, Birth of Heavy Metal - Rolling Stone - February 13th, 2020
- Prince George shock: Is he or Princess Charlotte really better suited to rule? - Express - February 13th, 2020
- Royal bombshell: Why Prince George will never be King - experts shock claim - Express - February 10th, 2020
- Bettie Lee Thompson | Obituaries - The Winchester Star - February 10th, 2020
- Danny Trejo Beats Christopher Lee as Hollywood's Most Killed Actor - MovieWeb - February 9th, 2020
- Dying to Win an Oscar: Do Performers Need to Perish On-Screen to Prevail? - Observer - February 9th, 2020
- 'THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE' REBOOT FINDS ITS DIRECTORS AND WRITER - HorrorCultFilms - February 9th, 2020
- One Of The Lord Of The Rings Actors Had Almost Died Twice In WWII - Gentside UK - February 8th, 2020
- Research Reveals That Danny Trejo Has Topped Christopher Lee as the Most Killed Actor in Hollywood - Bloody Disgusting - February 8th, 2020
- Every James Bond film, ranked - British GQ - February 8th, 2020
- Burnaby athletes head to Winter Games - Burnaby Now - February 8th, 2020
- The Good Weekend Quiz: February 8 - The Age - February 8th, 2020
- serie architects' satsang hall is an assemblage of perforated white volumes - Designboom - February 6th, 2020
- Canadian businessmen accused in $35-million international pump-and-dump stock plot - National Post - February 6th, 2020
- Death drive: why Danny Trejo's doomed legend will live for ever - The Guardian - February 4th, 2020
- 10 actors who died the most in films, from John Hurt to Christopher Lee - The Media Hq - February 4th, 2020
- 'Lord, let's get this money': Justin Bufford brings the grind to Catholic - Montgomery Advertiser - February 4th, 2020
- On the record February 4 - Seymour Tribune - February 4th, 2020
- Bond star Britt heads to Malvern - Cotswold Journal - February 3rd, 2020
- 'The Masked Singer' Season 3 Premiere Recap: Jamie Foxx Guest-Stars as Robot Heads to the Scrap Heap - Billboard - February 3rd, 2020
- Sumter wrestling takes third in region duals, earns spot in playoffs - Sumter Item - February 3rd, 2020
- WHO's global emergency declaration: What does it mean for Malaysia? - The Star Online - February 1st, 2020
- Shasta High Grad Kathleen Kennedy to Receive Highest Honor in British Film - A News Cafe - February 1st, 2020
- UPDATE: 8 men arrested after CPD SWAT team serve 3 drug-related search warrants on Lee Street and Cusseta Road - WRBL - February 1st, 2020
- How Wrath Of The Gods Would Have Ended The Wicker Man Trilogy - Screen Rant - January 31st, 2020
- Sheriff's office reports January arrests | Police and Fire - The Star Democrat - January 31st, 2020
- We've Ranked The Most Popular Lord Of The Rings Actors, By Salary - TheThings - January 31st, 2020
- Famed Aussies Kylie Minogue, Naomi Watts, and More Gathered to Raise Money for Bushfire Relief Efforts - Vogue - January 31st, 2020
- Curate on the move - Newark Advertiser - January 30th, 2020
- San Diego's Wanted: Resisting an officer - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Christopher Lee | James Bond Wiki | Fandom - January 29th, 2020
- Seven Six Cuts Across the Grooves - UMass Lowell - January 29th, 2020
- 5 things to know today: Father sentenced, Flood preparedness, Exploited students, Helping families, Auctioneer champ - INFORUM - January 29th, 2020
- LATEST TRAILERS: 'WAR OF THE WORLDS' [YES ANOTHER VERSION!] - HorrorCultFilms - January 29th, 2020
- Police Arrests and Incidents - Tulsa World - January 29th, 2020
- 'THE THING' REMAKE COMING FROM BLUMHOUSE - HorrorCultFilms - January 29th, 2020
- Why an artist smashed up 'The Dukes of Hazzard's' General Lee - Los Angeles Times - January 29th, 2020
- Terengganu clears the air on Christopher Fayers situation - Goal.com - January 29th, 2020
- Lizzo, Body-Shaming, And The Obesity Crisis - Black Enterprise - January 28th, 2020
- Tune in Tonight: Anything but All Rise; a lost Rainbow Coalition - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - January 28th, 2020
- Ever wonder what the 1984 Ghostbusters did after beating Gozer? Finally, we have answers - SYFY WIRE - January 28th, 2020
- Kevin McDonough's 'Tune in Tonight'': Anything but 'All Rise'; a lost 'Rainbow Coalition' - The Union Leader - January 27th, 2020
- Michael Caine Praises '1917' And Twitter Wants To Know If Christopher Nolan Is Okay - Mashable India - January 27th, 2020
- Review: 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' soars with visual magic at Manoa Valley Theatre - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - January 26th, 2020
- IN THE DOCK: A weekly round-up of people convicted at Slough Magistrates' Court - Windsor Observer - January 26th, 2020
- Back For More / North junior seeks to build on last year's conference title - The Republic - January 24th, 2020
- Kingdom Hearts 3 ReMIND: Who is the voice actor for Xehanort? Hollywood star shocks fans! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 24th, 2020
- Obituary: Kenny Lynch, singer and actor remembered as a member of Britains Rat Pack - The Scotsman - January 24th, 2020
- Photo Flash: First Look at the UK Tour of THE CAT AND THE CANARY - Broadway World - January 24th, 2020
- Acting group that started in prison hits Greenwich Village - WPIX 11 New York - January 23rd, 2020
- Defendants arraigned in Taylor County Circuit Court Thursday - Mountain Statesman - January 23rd, 2020
- Frederick County grand jury indicts 46 - The Winchester Star - January 23rd, 2020
- 20 Movies To Watch If You Like Harry Potter | TheThings - TheThings - January 23rd, 2020
- James Bond movies ranked in order from best to worst - NEWS.com.au - January 23rd, 2020
- Bong Joon-Ho To Receive Director Of The Year Award At Santa Barbara Film Fest - International Business Times - January 23rd, 2020
- Ian McKellens unearthed Lord of the Rings set diaries are pure gold - Polygon - January 21st, 2020
- Ten controversial judgments that cost Leeds United this season - Tech Ballad - January 21st, 2020
- Every James Bond Movie Title Meaning Explained | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - January 18th, 2020
- Good Morning Britain hosts red-faced as wrong photo of guest Britt Ekland airs - Extra.ie - January 18th, 2020
- Will there be a Dracula season 2? - RadioTimes - January 18th, 2020
- Sussexes Summit: 90 Minutes Which Saved The Royal Family? - Forces Network - January 16th, 2020
- Grand Jury convened on Monday - Mountain Statesman - January 16th, 2020
- Grand jurors in Taylor, Upshur WV counties hand up indictments - WV News - January 16th, 2020
- What I'm watching: a great film about the First World War - Reminder Publications - January 16th, 2020
- The Leading Non-Fungible Token Event February 20, Times Square NYC - NewsAffinity - January 16th, 2020
- Sir Ian McKellens Lord of the Rings blog is the only good thing left - The Spinoff - January 16th, 2020
- Australian brush fires: Climate change makes fire weather the norm - themediatimes - January 16th, 2020
- Lee Childs Jack Reacher series heading to Amazon - CANOE - January 16th, 2020
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: 10 Hero Skins We Need | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 13th, 2020
- 20 years later, Ian McKellen's Lord Of The Rings filming blog is still charming as a hobbit's home - The A.V. Club - January 13th, 2020
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord deserter arrested in Oregon - Stars and Stripes - January 11th, 2020
- Netflixs much-debated Dracula is latest in long TV bloodline - cleveland.com - January 11th, 2020
- JAIL ACTIVITY: Jan. 10, 2020 | News - Evening News and Tribune - January 10th, 2020
- Night School Comedy Pilot Based On Movie Ordered By NBC From Christopher Moynihan, Kevin Hart, Will Packer & Malcom D. Lee - Deadline - January 10th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero