As the violence in Charlottesville has reignited a national debate over monuments dedicated to Confederate-era and other controversial figures, New York City is conducting its own review over symbols of hate and possibly taking aim at Christopher Columbus.
New York City Mayor Mayor Bill de Blasio has announced a 90-day review by a commission of all "symbols of hate" on city property in the wake of violence at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, that was protesting the planned removal of a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee.
The move has opened questions about a variety of monuments in the city, including a 76-foot statue of Christopher Columbus in the heart of Manhattans Columbus Circle.
City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito said on Monday she thought Columbus' history and treatment of indigenous people in Caribbean "has to be looked at."
The statue of Christopher Columbus by Gaetano Russo stands in Columbus Circle in New York. Andrew H. Walker / Getty Images file
"I will wait for the commission, as I said Christopher Columbus is a controversial figure to many of us particularly in the Caribbean and I think that that has to be looked at, when you have to look at history we have to look at it thoroughly and clearly," she said.
"I know some people may take offense to that but for many of us that come from the Caribbean islands, we see him as a controversial figure," she added.
Her remarks came during a rally calling for the removal of another statue, that of J. Marion Sims, a surgeon heralded as some as father of modern gynecology but whose breakthroughs came from experimenting on black slaves without anesthesia.
Related: Toppling of Confederate Statues Fuels Opposition to Other Markers
East Harlem residents and officials have advocated for the statue's removal in the past, but calls have been renewed following Charlottesville.
When asked if the Columbus statue should be reviewed, Blasio said in remarks Tuesday that "everyone should acknowledge these are complex issues and thats why it was important to put together a commission."
But de Blasio also stressed that he was not "going to editorialize on each and every name, and each and every monument."
"I think the important thing to do is let that commission get going, let them take every nomination if you will from everyday New Yorkers, from elected officials, activists, look at the whole picture and come back with a plan," he said.
He added that the commission was tasked with recommending a "universal set of standards that can governor how we deal with monuments of concern on City-owned lands and their specific proposals about specific monuments. And then Ill make decisions based from there."
A Republican challenger to de Blasio in the city's upcoming mayoral race, Nicole Malliotakis, said in remarks at a press conference Wednesday that the mayor had opened a can of worms" with his announced review.
That's the problem with this mayor, is hes quick to send off a press release and now you have even Christopher Columbus, the founder of our nation, is under attack," she said.
(Historians don't believe Columbus ever actually set foot on mainland North America)
De Blasio was also asked Tuesday if the tomb of Ulysses S. Grant in the city should also be considered for removal, over claims of anti-Semitism for an order he gave during the American Civil War expelling Jewish people from the area of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Grant later apologized for the order.
The mayor said he was not "familiar with that history" but, "we dont tolerate anti-Semitism in New York City."
Related: National Battle Over Confederate Monuments Renewed After Charlottesville Violence
"We have to look at each one of these cases. Well have a commission that does that," he added.
While Grant's memorial is in a city park, it is also a national monument and thus it was unclear what authority the city would have over changes to it.
Depending on the sites reviewed by the commission, de Blasio said he'll make the decision along with relevant agencies regarding statues under city control.
There is also a push by some to rename streets in the city honoring Confederate leaders, such as General Lee Avenue and Stonewall Jackson Drive in Brooklyn.
See the original post here:
Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com
- Review: 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' soars with visual magic at Manoa Valley Theatre - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - January 26th, 2020
- IN THE DOCK: A weekly round-up of people convicted at Slough Magistrates' Court - Windsor Observer - January 26th, 2020
- Back For More / North junior seeks to build on last year's conference title - The Republic - January 24th, 2020
- Kingdom Hearts 3 ReMIND: Who is the voice actor for Xehanort? Hollywood star shocks fans! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - January 24th, 2020
- Obituary: Kenny Lynch, singer and actor remembered as a member of Britains Rat Pack - The Scotsman - January 24th, 2020
- Photo Flash: First Look at the UK Tour of THE CAT AND THE CANARY - Broadway World - January 24th, 2020
- Acting group that started in prison hits Greenwich Village - WPIX 11 New York - January 23rd, 2020
- Defendants arraigned in Taylor County Circuit Court Thursday - Mountain Statesman - January 23rd, 2020
- Frederick County grand jury indicts 46 - The Winchester Star - January 23rd, 2020
- 20 Movies To Watch If You Like Harry Potter | TheThings - TheThings - January 23rd, 2020
- James Bond movies ranked in order from best to worst - NEWS.com.au - January 23rd, 2020
- Bong Joon-Ho To Receive Director Of The Year Award At Santa Barbara Film Fest - International Business Times - January 23rd, 2020
- Ian McKellens unearthed Lord of the Rings set diaries are pure gold - Polygon - January 21st, 2020
- Ten controversial judgments that cost Leeds United this season - Tech Ballad - January 21st, 2020
- Every James Bond Movie Title Meaning Explained | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - January 18th, 2020
- Good Morning Britain hosts red-faced as wrong photo of guest Britt Ekland airs - Extra.ie - January 18th, 2020
- Will there be a Dracula season 2? - RadioTimes - January 18th, 2020
- Sussexes Summit: 90 Minutes Which Saved The Royal Family? - Forces Network - January 16th, 2020
- Grand Jury convened on Monday - Mountain Statesman - January 16th, 2020
- Grand jurors in Taylor, Upshur WV counties hand up indictments - WV News - January 16th, 2020
- What I'm watching: a great film about the First World War - Reminder Publications - January 16th, 2020
- The Leading Non-Fungible Token Event February 20, Times Square NYC - NewsAffinity - January 16th, 2020
- Sir Ian McKellens Lord of the Rings blog is the only good thing left - The Spinoff - January 16th, 2020
- Australian brush fires: Climate change makes fire weather the norm - themediatimes - January 16th, 2020
- Lee Childs Jack Reacher series heading to Amazon - CANOE - January 16th, 2020
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: 10 Hero Skins We Need | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 13th, 2020
- 20 years later, Ian McKellen's Lord Of The Rings filming blog is still charming as a hobbit's home - The A.V. Club - January 13th, 2020
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord deserter arrested in Oregon - Stars and Stripes - January 11th, 2020
- Netflixs much-debated Dracula is latest in long TV bloodline - cleveland.com - January 11th, 2020
- JAIL ACTIVITY: Jan. 10, 2020 | News - Evening News and Tribune - January 10th, 2020
- Night School Comedy Pilot Based On Movie Ordered By NBC From Christopher Moynihan, Kevin Hart, Will Packer & Malcom D. Lee - Deadline - January 10th, 2020
- Dracula on BBC/Netflix: What Sucked And What Didn't - 25YearsLaterSite.com - January 10th, 2020
- Former Bond Girl Doesn't Think A Female Should Portray 007 - TheRichest - January 10th, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan facing criticism in Britain over plan to step back from Royal duties - The Globe and Mail - January 10th, 2020
- Ally Ross: Dracula drained the lifeblood out of viewers pushing BBCs woke agenda - The Scottish Sun - January 10th, 2020
- BBC/Netlix Dracula Is A Tribute To The British Hammer Horror Films - Forbes - January 9th, 2020
- The New Dracula Is Imaginative But Ultimately Fails - Patheos - January 9th, 2020
- A new Dracula series is streaming on Netflix here are 19 actors who have played the famous vampire - Business Insider - January 9th, 2020
- CJ's reviews: The disaster that is Cats, Dracula and The Commons - ABC Local - January 9th, 2020
- Former Bond girl Britt Ekland doesn't want a woman to play 007: 'That's not going to happen' - AOL - January 9th, 2020
- He Specialises In Murder, In The Most Gruesome Ways Imaginable The House That Dripped Blood (Blu-ray Review) - VultureHound Magazine - January 9th, 2020
- On the record for Jan. 3 | Featured-cvx - Petoskey News-Review - January 4th, 2020
- Trial for man accused of fatally stabbing another in March to begin next week - Argus Leader - January 4th, 2020
- Recent arrests of note in Henry County | News - Henry Herald - January 4th, 2020
- What's on TV tonight: Mary Berry makes her way to Southend for Jamie And Jimmys Friday Night Feast and Earths Tropical Islands - inews - January 4th, 2020
- Here's What We Know about the Darth Vader Prequel Show so Far - TVOvermind - January 4th, 2020
- all the films in the series ordered from worst to best - Asap Land - January 4th, 2020
- The Best Moments in The Lord of the Rings Movies - Sunriseread - January 4th, 2020
- Dracula, BBC1, review: this gloriously hammy adaptation paid homage to Christopher Lee and Hammer House of Horror - inews - January 3rd, 2020
- The Best Movies of the Decade (2010-2019) - KJZZ - January 3rd, 2020
- Cases heard recently in 90th District Court, 33rd Circuit Court - Petoskey News-Review - January 3rd, 2020
- Climate Change: Are Global Threats An Opportunity To Put The UK Back On The Map In 2020? - Forces Network - January 3rd, 2020
- Sir Christopher Lee (1922-2015) - Find A Grave Memorial - January 2nd, 2020
- Dracula's in our blood: The 20 best actors ever to play the evil count - Mirror Online - January 2nd, 2020
- Kathy Lynn Sutton Adams The News Journal - The News Journal - January 1st, 2020
- Law enforcement Friday | Law Enforcement - Herald and News - December 31st, 2019
- Reconfiguration to begin in the 2020-21 school year - C&G Newspapers - December 31st, 2019
- Chris Watts Confessions Of A Killer Release Date And Cast - Otakukart News - December 31st, 2019
- Star Wars: Ranking All The Villains In The Prequel Trilogy - Screen Rant - December 31st, 2019
- Line of Duty star 'argued' with creator Jed Mercurio over death - digitalspy.com - December 27th, 2019
- Man accused of fraud involving auto parts waives right to hearing in Harrison WV - WV News - December 27th, 2019
- Trip to the B side of the Spanish cinema - INDONEWYORK - December 27th, 2019
- When is Dracula coming to TV? Who's writing it? And who's within the forged? - Filmi Baba - December 27th, 2019
- Star Wars: What did Finn want to say to Rey in Rise of Skywalker? JJ Abrams answers mystery - The Media Hq - December 26th, 2019
- Houstons military museum, actors who were veterans and Armed Forces Appreciation Day - Houston Herald - December 25th, 2019
- 'Chris Watts: Confessions of a Killer': Release date, plot, cast, trailer and everything else about the chilli - MEAWW - December 25th, 2019
- Heavenly holiday sounds: Harpist Merynda Adams and violinist Christopher Collins Lee in Morristownand the Christmas Singers, too - Morristown Green - December 25th, 2019
- People exposed to violence end up isolated and lonely, with chronic health problems - Jordan Times - December 24th, 2019
- B. Christopher Lee - Kurtz & Revness - December 23rd, 2019
- 35 best new Netflix movies and shows coming in January 2020 - Netflix Life - December 23rd, 2019
- 10 Weird Christmas Songs You Probably Haven't Heard - Billboard - December 23rd, 2019
- Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker: JJ Abrams explains the meaning behind the great revelation of Episode IX - The Media Hq - December 23rd, 2019
- iAmLife Celebrates with an Influencer-Studded Holiday Party - PRNewswire - December 20th, 2019
- What Is The State Of Defence Stateside? - Forces Network - December 20th, 2019
- The Man With the Golden Gun: Great Villain, Lousy Bond Movie - Sunriseread - December 20th, 2019
- Old Mill wrestling handles Oakland Mills in crossover dual - Baltimore Sun - December 20th, 2019
- A Toast To Anthony Daniels, Who Found A Great Gig And Stuck With It - Birth.Movies.Death. - December 20th, 2019
- How Alice Cooper Almost Added James Bond Theme Song to His Resume - Ultimate Classic Rock - December 20th, 2019
- Boy, 12, who has the 'Dracula's disease' is 'scared of sun exposure' - Herald Publicist - December 20th, 2019
- Ive spent 40 years thinking about Star Wars. Here are 40 thoughts. - austin360 - December 20th, 2019
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero