A man convicted of killing a country preacher during a 1991 robbery was put to death by lethal injection in Alabama on Thursday. He avoided another execution date in April amid disagreements between U.S. Supreme Court justices.
Christopher Lee Price, 46, became the second inmate put to death in Alabama in two weeks. The execution was carried out at Holman prison, where he was pronounced dead at 7:31 p.m.
Convicted in the killing of Bill Lynn, a north Alabama pastor slain by a sword and knife just days before Christmas, Price released a statement of apology through his attorney before the execution.
"A man is much more than his worst mistake," he said while strapped to a gurney moments before the drugs began flowing.
Gov. Kay Ivey issued a statement saying Price had to be punished.
"Finally, the loved ones of Pastor Lynn can feel at ease knowing that justice has been administered. I pray that, after all these years later, his family can feel a sense of peace and comfort," she said.
Relatives of both Price and Lynn were among the witnesses as the inmate was put to death shortly after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected a final request for a stay. The execution had been delayed by more than an hour while the state awaited the court's decision, a prison official said.
Price lifted and lowered his head twice after the initial knockout drug began flowing, and his belly heaved five times. He didn't respond when an officer tested for consciousness by flicking his eyelashes and punching an arm.
The color soon began draining from his face as additional drugs flowed through an intravenous line, and the process was over within minutes.
A statement from Lynn's family thanked friends and relatives for their support during a "long and difficult journey."
"We are praying to finally have peace," said the statement, read by a prison official.
Price sought a stay based on a challenge to the state's method of using three drugs during lethal injections. The nation's high court, by a 5-4 vote, refused to halt the execution Thursday night. The conservative majority did not give a reason for denying the stay.
Price had asked to instead die by nitrogen hypoxia, an execution method Alabama has legally authorized but not developed. His lawyers argued the method, which kills by depleting the body of oxygen, would be less painful than lethal injection.
Price was suing over Alabama's execution practices, and the inmate's attorneys contend the state rushed to execute him two weeks before the trial date. State attorneys argued that Price was bringing up previously decided issues at the last minute just to seek a delay.
The inmate was set to be executed last month but the state death warrant expired at midnight before a divided U.S. Supreme Court lifted a stay that blocked the lethal injection. The court subsequently released documents that showed its internal squabbling over the death penalty.
The Alabama Supreme Court then set a new execution date even though U.S. District Judge Kristi DuBose of Mobile had scheduled a trial set for June 10 to hear Price's challenge to Alabama's lethal injection process.
In a dissent Thursday, Justice Stephen Breyer wrote that the court should have delayed the execution until the trial could take place.
Court documents show Lynn, a Church of Christ minister in rural Fayette County, was at home with his wife Bessie assembling toys for grandchildren on Dec. 22, 1991 when the electricity failed. He went outside to check on the power box, and the woman looked outside after hearing a noise to see a man dressed in black holding a sword above her husband.
The woman ran outside to find Lynn severely wounded, and she saw two men as she tried to start a van to flee. She was beaten and robbed of money and her wedding rings despite pleas that she be allowed to keep the jewelry, court documents show. According to an autopsy, Lynn was cut or stabbed more than 30 times.
Price was arrested several days later in Chattanooga, Tennessee. He admitted participating in the robbery but blamed the actual killing on another man.
Kelvin Coleman pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in prison, while jurors convicted Price of capital murder and a judge sentenced him to death.
Earlier this month, Michael Brandon Samra was put to death by lethal injection for his capital murder conviction in a quadruple killing near Birmingham. His lawyers didn't cite any complaints with the process following the execution.
Alabama executed one other inmate this year in February.
Read the rest here:
Christopher Lee Price execution: Alabama executes man for ...
- Christopher Evan Lee, MD - 36 Reviews - Gastroenterologist ... - October 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Movies List: Best to Worst - Ranker - October 4th, 2019
- Death penalty: Alabama set to execute Christopher Lee ... - May 31st, 2019
- The Pandora Society Sir Christopher Lees Top Five Movie Roles. - May 28th, 2019
- Christopher Lee's photo scrapbooks with previously unseen images ... - May 28th, 2019
- BFI acquires three never-before-seen Christopher Lee ... - May 23rd, 2019
- Tottenham Hotspur Stadium by Populous is "best stadium in the ... - May 4th, 2019
- Melbourne doctor who called for women to be raped stood down ... - May 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 15th, 2019
- Sword and dagger killer Christopher Lee Price: Alabama ... - April 13th, 2019
- Alabama inmate Christopher Lee Price spared lethal injection ... - April 12th, 2019
- A Heavy Metal Christmas by Christopher Lee on Amazon Music ... - April 10th, 2019
- Sir Christopher Lee | The One Wiki to Rule Them All | FANDOM ... - April 7th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - cinemorgue.fandom.com - March 18th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Hammer House Of Horror Wiki | FANDOM ... - March 17th, 2019
- 'Star Wars:' Christopher Lee's Count Dooku fight - Business ... - March 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee - seyfarth.com - March 1st, 2019
- Christopher Lee - Life on a timeline, interviews, net worth ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Christopher Lee Gets Heartfelt Tribute From Lord of the ... - February 14th, 2019
- Accused killer Christopher Lee wants you to know why he ... - February 9th, 2019
- Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ... - February 6th, 2019
- Bankruptcy Attorney Christopher Lee Offers a Helping Hand ... - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee | Wookieepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 27th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Dies at 93; Actor Breathed Life Into ... - December 21st, 2018
- Papergreat: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee, champion of literature - December 21st, 2018
- Christopher Lee Designs & Apparel - 30 Photos - Printing ... - December 19th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Vineland, NJ - November 30th, 2018
- Dr. Christopher Lee, MD - Book an Appointment - Saint Clair ... - November 24th, 2018
- Remembering Sir Christopher Lee on his birthday (27 May 1922 ... - November 14th, 2018
- WWII veteran Christopher Lee corrected "Lord of the Rings ... - November 10th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - October 18th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College - September 17th, 2018
- Christopher Lee, L.Ac. - Acupuncture - 110 La Casa Via ... - August 29th, 2018
- Christopher S. Lee, MD, MBA. Orthopedic Surgeon, Burbank ... - August 20th, 2018
- Christopher Lee - 15 Character Images | Behind The Voice Actors - July 11th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | Cinemorgue Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 3rd, 2018
- Christopher Lee - Actor, Film Actor - Biography - June 30th, 2018
- Christopher Lee | English actor | Britannica.com - June 18th, 2018
- Battery suspect joins brother in jail - Muncie Star Press - September 7th, 2017
- Two arrested for killing Waterloo native in Florida - Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - September 7th, 2017
- It's the DACA Decision, Not Hurricane Harvey, That May Tear Houston Apart - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 2 arrested, including former employee, accused of killing business owner in Pinellas Co. - ABC Action News - September 6th, 2017
- Motorcyclist killed in Interstate 494 crash after chase by Edina police is identified - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 6th, 2017
- Nelda Lee Lair - White Mountain Independent - September 6th, 2017
- Arrests, incidents reports for Sept. 1-4, 2017 - Cullman Times Online - September 6th, 2017
- Oconee County police blotter - Online Athens - September 2nd, 2017
- 2 arrested in shooting case - Wise County Messenger - September 2nd, 2017
- Christopher Lee Parsons - Fauquier Times - September 1st, 2017
- Tarpon Springs police search for missing, endangered man with autism - WFLA - August 31st, 2017
- General Session Court Cases Heard Aug. 7 - Greeneville Sun - August 29th, 2017
- Blaise's Bad Movie Guide: 'Horror Express' - Valley Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- Student President's position revoked, election rules violated - The Channels - August 28th, 2017
- Five charged in series of break-ins - The Robesonian - August 24th, 2017
- Christopher Columbus Statue in New York City Could Be Considered for Removal - NBCNews.com - August 24th, 2017
- Aug. 24 police reports - The Decatur Daily - August 24th, 2017
- Marion County Sheriff Report - Journal Express - August 24th, 2017
- OKC party bus crash - Daily O'Collegian - August 22nd, 2017
- Christopher Columbus monument vandalized in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - August 22nd, 2017
- Boston police clash with protesters after free speech rally - VICE News - August 19th, 2017
- BY HANK REINEKE - Cinema Retro - August 19th, 2017
- Columbia County police activity - Pamplin Media Group - August 19th, 2017
- Christopher Lee Smith - Cookeville Herald Citizen - August 17th, 2017
- Obituary - Christopher Lee Henningfeld - Sierra Star - August 17th, 2017
- 8-17 Crime Briefs - Norman Transcript - August 17th, 2017
- Police calls - update for Aug. 16, 2017 - Topeka Capital Journal - August 17th, 2017
- Three charged in shooting death of 12-year-old Victorville girl - Los Angeles Times - August 17th, 2017
- Trio charged in fatal shooting of Victorville girl - Press-Enterprise - August 16th, 2017
- Police Blotter: Aug. 13, 2017 - pharostribune.com - August 14th, 2017
- Alleged social worker shooter files $23M civil lawsuit - Greensboro News & Record - August 13th, 2017
- Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald - August 12th, 2017
- 8-12-17 Police Reports - Therogersvillereview - August 12th, 2017
- August 11 Public Record - Lexington Dispatch - August 10th, 2017
- Actors Almost Cast in Star Wars Movies - MovieWeb - August 10th, 2017
- Aug. 9 public safety round-up - Pamplin Media Group - August 10th, 2017
- How to cook without recipes: Master these four elements and never look back - National Post - August 9th, 2017
- COURT: Latest results from Chesterfield magistrates' court - Derbyshire Times - August 8th, 2017
- Former inmate indicted on illicit drug charges - Huntington Herald Dispatch - August 8th, 2017
- Why you're more likely to have a prenup than your parents were - Chicago Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- GO-GETTERS - Columbia Daily Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Daily Record, August 5th, 2017 | News, Sports, Jobs - Times ... - Marshalltown Times Republican - August 5th, 2017
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero