A man convicted of killing a country preacher during a 1991 robbery was put to death by lethal injection in Alabama on Thursday. He avoided another execution date in April amid disagreements between U.S. Supreme Court justices.
Christopher Lee Price, 46, became the second inmate put to death in Alabama in two weeks. The execution was carried out at Holman prison, where he was pronounced dead at 7:31 p.m.
Convicted in the killing of Bill Lynn, a north Alabama pastor slain by a sword and knife just days before Christmas, Price released a statement of apology through his attorney before the execution.
"A man is much more than his worst mistake," he said while strapped to a gurney moments before the drugs began flowing.
Gov. Kay Ivey issued a statement saying Price had to be punished.
"Finally, the loved ones of Pastor Lynn can feel at ease knowing that justice has been administered. I pray that, after all these years later, his family can feel a sense of peace and comfort," she said.
Relatives of both Price and Lynn were among the witnesses as the inmate was put to death shortly after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected a final request for a stay. The execution had been delayed by more than an hour while the state awaited the court's decision, a prison official said.
Price lifted and lowered his head twice after the initial knockout drug began flowing, and his belly heaved five times. He didn't respond when an officer tested for consciousness by flicking his eyelashes and punching an arm.
The color soon began draining from his face as additional drugs flowed through an intravenous line, and the process was over within minutes.
A statement from Lynn's family thanked friends and relatives for their support during a "long and difficult journey."
"We are praying to finally have peace," said the statement, read by a prison official.
Price sought a stay based on a challenge to the state's method of using three drugs during lethal injections. The nation's high court, by a 5-4 vote, refused to halt the execution Thursday night. The conservative majority did not give a reason for denying the stay.
Price had asked to instead die by nitrogen hypoxia, an execution method Alabama has legally authorized but not developed. His lawyers argued the method, which kills by depleting the body of oxygen, would be less painful than lethal injection.
Price was suing over Alabama's execution practices, and the inmate's attorneys contend the state rushed to execute him two weeks before the trial date. State attorneys argued that Price was bringing up previously decided issues at the last minute just to seek a delay.
The inmate was set to be executed last month but the state death warrant expired at midnight before a divided U.S. Supreme Court lifted a stay that blocked the lethal injection. The court subsequently released documents that showed its internal squabbling over the death penalty.
The Alabama Supreme Court then set a new execution date even though U.S. District Judge Kristi DuBose of Mobile had scheduled a trial set for June 10 to hear Price's challenge to Alabama's lethal injection process.
In a dissent Thursday, Justice Stephen Breyer wrote that the court should have delayed the execution until the trial could take place.
Court documents show Lynn, a Church of Christ minister in rural Fayette County, was at home with his wife Bessie assembling toys for grandchildren on Dec. 22, 1991 when the electricity failed. He went outside to check on the power box, and the woman looked outside after hearing a noise to see a man dressed in black holding a sword above her husband.
The woman ran outside to find Lynn severely wounded, and she saw two men as she tried to start a van to flee. She was beaten and robbed of money and her wedding rings despite pleas that she be allowed to keep the jewelry, court documents show. According to an autopsy, Lynn was cut or stabbed more than 30 times.
Price was arrested several days later in Chattanooga, Tennessee. He admitted participating in the robbery but blamed the actual killing on another man.
Kelvin Coleman pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in prison, while jurors convicted Price of capital murder and a judge sentenced him to death.
Earlier this month, Michael Brandon Samra was put to death by lethal injection for his capital murder conviction in a quadruple killing near Birmingham. His lawyers didn't cite any complaints with the process following the execution.
Alabama executed one other inmate this year in February.
Read the rest here:
Christopher Lee Price execution: Alabama executes man for ...
- Celebrating Star Wars: 'Attack of the Clones' Deserved Better - Full Circle Cinema - December 9th, 2019
- More things to do in Austin on Wednesday, Dec. 11 - austin360 - December 9th, 2019
- Five of the best places to get beards trimmed are in Newport, Pontypool, Newbridge and Brynmawr - South Wales Argus - December 9th, 2019
- Kathleen Kennedy Will Receive a BAFTA Fellowship - Broadway World - December 7th, 2019
- Things to do in Austin on Tuesday, Dec. 10 - austin360 - December 7th, 2019
- 10 Amazing Action Movies That Didn't Use CGI | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - December 7th, 2019
- NEW 'PLANET OF THE APES' MOVIE COMING - HorrorCultFilms - December 7th, 2019
- Researchers Develop Kidney Stone Treatment Thats Faster And Less Painful - Medical Daily - December 7th, 2019
- Two men accused of harassing Muslim family on I-85 charged - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 6th, 2019
- The Impact of Telemedicine and Access to Leukemia Experts: Insights on Patient Behaviors to be Presented at the American Society of Hematology 61st... - December 6th, 2019
- Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones: 5 Best & 5 Worst Things - Screen Rant - December 6th, 2019
- Paul McCartney and Wings 'Band On The Run' Cover Had Famous Faces, Released on This Day in 1973 - californiarocker.com - December 6th, 2019
- IN COURT: Full names of 134 people in Ipswich court today - Queensland Times - December 6th, 2019
- Son speaks out about his missing 77-year old mother - NEWS10 ABC - December 6th, 2019
- On the Record | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - December 6th, 2019
- Nashoba announces first quarter honor roll - The Item - Worcester Telegram - December 6th, 2019
- HIGHLAND MIDDLE SCHOOL - Lifestyle - The Times - The Times - December 4th, 2019
- Star Wars rewind: Attack of the Clones - UNF Spinnaker - December 4th, 2019
- An end to the pain of kidney stones? New drug combination allows the stones to pass smoothly - Herald Publicist - December 4th, 2019
- The One Knives Out Actor Jamie Lee Curtis Never Thought She'd Be Able To Work With - CinemaBlend - December 4th, 2019
- Getaway Driver Sentenced To 15 Years To Life In Death Of Lodi Doctor Thomas Shock - CBS Sacramento - December 4th, 2019
- Bottega Veneta Wins Big At The Fashion Awards 2019 - British Vogue - December 4th, 2019
- 'THE INVISIBLE WOMAN' REMAKE COMING, DIRECTED BY AND STARRING ELIZABETH BANKS - HorrorCultFilms - December 4th, 2019
- New treatment could ease the passage of kidney stones - MIT News - December 2nd, 2019
- Republic sports roundup - The Republic - December 2nd, 2019
- Several Deadly Thanksgiving Weekend Shootings in Amarillo - mix941kmxj.com - December 2nd, 2019
- Suspect in homicide investigation found in Lebanon - KOLR - OzarksFirst.com - December 2nd, 2019
- Movie Review: The Irishman - TimminsToday - December 2nd, 2019
- Gideons Way, The Human Jungle and She - Elstree classics from 1964 - Harrow Times - December 2nd, 2019
- Grieving mom wants son's belongings three years after his death of 'agitated delirium' - News-Press - December 2nd, 2019
- Legendary dame Christopher Biggins reveals the best pantos on offer this Christmas - The Sun - December 2nd, 2019
- Conard and Hall Announce First Quarter Honor Roll - http://www.we-ha.com - December 1st, 2019
- Notes From the Ian McKellen Live Show in London - /FILM - November 29th, 2019
- North swimmers fall to Franklin - The Republic - November 29th, 2019
- AND THE LATEST REMAKE IS......'THE FUGITIVE' - HorrorCultFilms - November 29th, 2019
- 'The Irishman' and the Worst Movies By Scorsese, Spielberg and Other Great Directors - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 29th, 2019
- Star Wars: John Boyega takes responsibility for the lost script Rise of Skywalker that surfaced on eBay - The Media Hq - November 29th, 2019
- 'Knives Out' Cast: A Guide to All the Characters and Suspects in the Movie - Newsweek - November 29th, 2019
- COURT: See who is facing court in Rockhampton and Yeppoon today - Morning Bulletin - November 29th, 2019
- Jack Reacher Author Says Tom Cruise Is Too Old For Action Movies: 'He Needs To Move On' - CinemaBlend - November 29th, 2019
- Water Wonders / Boys swimmers set to hit the pool for competition - The Republic - November 26th, 2019
- Study finds people exposed to violence end up isolated and lonely, with chronic health problems - Beckley Register-Herald - November 26th, 2019
- For the record - 11/25 | Free - Paris News - November 26th, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires announce London O2 Arena show on UK tour - how to get tickets - MyLondon - November 26th, 2019
- Don Johnson Loved Hurling Insults at His Knives Out Co-stars - Vulture - November 26th, 2019
- TIL that Christopher Lee was once driving through Italy with ... - November 25th, 2019
- Mingtiandi to Lead China Investment Panel at MIPIM Asia This Week - Mingtiandi - November 24th, 2019
- 20 years later, remembering the tragic Texas A&M bonfire collapse - Valley Town Crier - November 24th, 2019
- Review: Twists upon twists in Knives Out will keep you guessing til the end - Ars Technica - November 24th, 2019
- Properties recently bought, sold in the Capital Region - Albany Times Union - November 24th, 2019
- 20 years after a Texas A&M bonfire collapsed and killed 12, Texans still mourn - USA TODAY - November 23rd, 2019
- Give up the road: Alcoa to abandon a portion of street for Clayton Academy use - Maryville Daily Times - November 23rd, 2019
- Camp Named Lee Department Alum Of The Year - The Chattanoogan - November 23rd, 2019
- Christopher Plummer Says He Immediately Loved the 'Irreverent Darkness' in Knives Out - Parade - November 23rd, 2019
- Will Netflixs Dracula Make the Vampire Scary Again? - Fortress of Solitude - November 22nd, 2019
- The Best: 10 Heroes and Villains Whose Power is Being The World's Greatest - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 22nd, 2019
- An oral history of the 1999 Aggie Bonfire tragedy at Texas A&M that left 12 dead - Winston-Salem Journal - November 22nd, 2019
- IN COURT: Full names of 167 people in Ipswich court today - Queensland Times - November 20th, 2019
- Fann Wong: Having fun acting for 25 years, Entertainment News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - November 19th, 2019
- Looking back on 25 years in TV, actress Fann Wong describes work as more like 'having fun' in playground - The Straits Times - November 19th, 2019
- Licence to chill at luxury lair of Bond villain - The Scotsman - November 19th, 2019
- LATEST TRAILERS: 'KILLER THERAPY', WITH 'FRIDAY THE 13TH', 'HALLOWEEN' AND 'RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD' ALUMNI - HorrorCultFilms - November 19th, 2019
- Police: Man with warrant took photos of items he had just stolen outside Brockton store - Wicked Local Brockton - November 19th, 2019
- An oral history of the 1999 Aggie Bonfire tragedy at Texas A&M that left 12 dead - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 19th, 2019
- An oral history of the 1999 Aggie Bonfire tragedy at Texas A&M that left 12 dead - Omaha World-Herald - November 18th, 2019
- Cassidy Erin Gifford & Ben Wierda: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com - November 18th, 2019
- Survivorship Clinic Helps Patients With What Comes After Head and Neck Cancer - UPJ Athletics - November 18th, 2019
- Abby Lee Miller Just Shared an Instagram Of Herself Standing In A Pool After A Year In A Wheelchair - Women's Health - November 18th, 2019
- Harry Styles Wore the Most Sexual Shirt on SNL - The Cut - November 18th, 2019
- Celebrating 20 Years of Tim Burtons SLEEPY HOLLOW - Nerdist - November 18th, 2019
- Second suspect charged in October home invasion in Aiken - Aiken Standard - November 17th, 2019
- iAmLife Grows Partnerships with Ally Global Services and Influencer David Christopher Lee - PRNewswire - November 17th, 2019
- Local News: Man charged after threats to father (11/15/19) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - November 17th, 2019
- Review: A little conflict is the push they need in this week's releases (Includes first-hand account) - Digital Journal - November 17th, 2019
- The Guardian ranked the best severed hands in film history, but we all know who tops the list - The A.V. Club - November 17th, 2019
- James Bond: The 10 Dumbest Super Villain Plots Ever Conceived - Screen Rant - November 17th, 2019
- Christopher Evan Lee, MD - 36 Reviews - Gastroenterologist ... - October 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Movies List: Best to Worst - Ranker - October 4th, 2019
- Death penalty: Alabama set to execute Christopher Lee ... - May 31st, 2019
- The Pandora Society Sir Christopher Lees Top Five Movie Roles. - May 28th, 2019
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero