Christopher Lee appears at his sentencing Tuesday in San Bernardino County Superior Court. He was sentenced to life in prison after being convicted this month of killing Erin Corwin.(Photo: Colin Atagi/The Desert Sun)Buy Photo
A San Bernardino County Superior Court judge sentenced a former Twentynine Palms Marine to life in prison without parolefor killing another Marine's wife, who disappeared in 2014 and was found weeks later at the bottom of a 100-foot mine shaft near Joshua Tree.
Christopher Lee was sentenced Tuesday after friends and family spent an hour reading statements and explaining their suffering following the death of Erin Corwin.
Lee was convicted Nov. 3 for killing her. Jurors found him guilty of murder and lying in wait - a sentencing enhancement based on prosecutors' argumentthat Lee planned Corwin's death and lured her into a trap.
In his own statement to the court Tuesday,Lee denied the killing was premeditated and he said he never wanted to kill Corwin. But he maintained responsibility and said he was "truly sorry" about the murder.
Following the hearing, prosecutor Sean Daugherty said Lee's statement and details of events were"nonsense."
"He had to form a story to mitigate the damage," Daugherty said.
Last month,Lee admitted on the stand that he strangled Corwinduring a fit of anger outside the remote mine. Jurors reached their verdict after just three hours of deliberation that mostly focused on Lee's intent, said San Bernardino resident Angela Gioia, who was among the jurors who attended Lee's sentencing.
He sat silently in the jury boxbeside his attorney as Corwin's family members addressed the murder, with various photos of her appearing on the courtroom screen.Lee stared straight and rarely turned his head toward the speakers to his right or the photos to his left.
Corwin's husband, Jonathan, spoke briefly and thanked the prosecutor, jurors and investigators for their efforts. Other family members talked of fond memories with Corwin and the pain they felt when she disappeared and was later found.
"I feel I should've been able to protect Erin, somehow," said her older sister, Kristy Bauerlein.
Family members added they would never get to enjoy holidays with her and their children would never get to know their aunt. The trial became a burden because it forced them to save money and adjust schedules in case they had to fly in from various parts of the country.
Corwin's mother, Lore Heavlin, said her daughter was supposed to be safe living at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, but unbeknownst to everyone, she lived near a "predator."
"The one thing that haunted me through all this was, what was going through Erin's mind when she was attacked from behind by someone she trusted?" Heavlin said.
Corwin, the wife ofanother Marine from the Twentynine Palms base,was reported missing June 29, 2014 just days before her 20th birthday. Law enforcement officials and community members spent several weeks searching more than 300 square miles, including portions ofJoshua Tree National Park, Corwin'slast known destination.
On Aug. 16, 2014, investigators found Corwin's body in an abandoned mine shaft. They had searchedmore than 100 others in an area riddled with abandoned minesa few miles southeast of Twentynine Palms, outside of Joshua Tree National Park.
At the mine where Corwin's body was discovered, investigators also found shell casings, pieces of rebar and a propane tank similar to ones that Lee owned.
They arrested him the next day inAlaska, where he and his family moved after Corwin went missing.Court documents showed Lee admitted to searching the internet for information on disposing of bodies.
Officials said Corwin was pregnant with Lee's child and he was focused on hiding the affair. Heavlin said the affair did not justify her daughter's murder.
"All Chris had to do was move to Alaska and change his phone number," she said Tuesday.
Lee testified in court that the killing was a spur-of-the-moment decision.
Lee and Corwin met for what she thought would bea romantic evening that may have included a marriage proposal. Instead, Lee testified, they arguedbecause he'dbeen suicidal for a month andwanted to kill himselfoutside the mine.
He said he'dbeen distraught, in part, because he was denied deployment. This bothered jurorGioia, a U.S. Army veteran who said members of the military are tasked with protecting others.
"He did none of that to Erin; he took her life," she said.
Lee also became angry becausehe said he suspected Corwin molested his daughter. Heavlin said there was no evidence of that and she criticized Lee for using his daughter as a defense tool.
"I cannot imagine putting your daughter's name into the public record to save yourself," she said.
Lee said he approached Corwinfrom behind and strangled her for at least five minutes with a garrote made up of two pieces of rebar and a cord. He released his hold, and her body fell to the ground. He spent 30 seconds checking if she was alivebut found no signs of life.
Lee testified he then dragged the body to the mineshaft and pushed Corwinin head-first.
Following Tuesday's statements, San Bernardino County Superior Court Judge J. David Mazurek said he learned a lot about Corwin during the trial and he empathized with family members.
"I'm sorry I can't give you true justice in this case, which is returning Erin to you," he said. "I'm sorry I can't return that vibrant person to you."
Read or Share this story: http://desert.sn/2gFP6fH
See original here:
Christopher Lee sentenced to life in prison for killing Erin ...
- Christopher Lee: The untold life of the SAS soldier who ... - July 9th, 2020
- Star Wars Writer Reveals What Count Dooku's Origin Story Would Be Like - Epicstream - July 9th, 2020
- Here Are 10 Of The Best Films On TV Tonight - Balls.ie - July 9th, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things Fans Would Change About Revenge of the Sith (& 5 Things About A New Hope) - Screen Rant - July 9th, 2020
- 100 Best spy movies of all time - KAKE - July 9th, 2020
- How 'The Spy Who Loved Me' Resurrected the James Bond Franchise - Ultimate Classic Rock - July 9th, 2020
- Schwabe Strengthens Natural Resources and Alaska Native Presence with Key Hires in Anchorage Office Expansion - Anchorage Press - July 9th, 2020
- Cameron University announces spring 2020 honor rolls - The Lawton Constitution - July 9th, 2020
- Webinar: What past YAYA winners did next | Information - BD - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Building Design to announce AYA and YAYA shortlists in action-packed day - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Bookins | News - Evening News and Tribune - July 7th, 2020
- Sarah Wright steps into the role of Lee Town Moderator - theberkshireedge.com - July 7th, 2020
- From the Archives: Christopher Lee dies at 93; screen star ... - July 6th, 2020
- Everything Christopher Lee Did After The Man Who Could Cheat Death - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Theresa Stokes - Obituary - Legacy.com - July 6th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: Why The Two Towers Book & Movie End Differently - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Patients Entrust Their Lives On Admission, Not To Get A Free Cremation' - CodeBlue - July 6th, 2020
- Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher 3 Could Have Been Rated R | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Dil Bechara' and the long tradition of the posthumous release - Livemint - July 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 and CHOP could benefit Snohomish County real estate - The Daily Herald - July 3rd, 2020
- The woman who helped restore a north-east church by creating a 'Dracula Salad' - Press and Journal - July 3rd, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of July 5, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 3rd, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things We'd Change About Attack of the Clones (& 5 Things We'd Keep The Same) - Screen Rant - July 3rd, 2020
- [Update] When is Claes Bang Returning with Dracula Season 2 Release Date, Plot Details and Theories - Gizmo Blaze - July 3rd, 2020
- Property Transactions: July 1 | Business - news-herald.net - July 1st, 2020
- FOR THE RECORD - Daily Mountain Eagle - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Great Weird Movies Available on Midnight Pulp - ComingSoon.net - July 1st, 2020
- Moving On | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 29th, 2020
- Inflatable pilots, inappropriate jokes and 'jive talk': the madcap making of Airplane! - Telegraph.co.uk - June 29th, 2020
- Arrest Reports - The Daily Iberian - June 28th, 2020
- Second man arrested in connection with June 15 Copperas Cove shooting - Coveleaderpress - June 26th, 2020
- Petition seeks to replace Christopher Columbus statue in Cleveland's Little Italy with one of Ettore Boiardi, aka 'Chef Boyardee' - WKYC.com - June 26th, 2020
- Western Nevada College's Record Graduating Class of 2020 honored in drive-through ceremony - Carson Now - June 26th, 2020
- Harnett County man charged in shooting that left Benson man dead - The Fayetteville Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Film and TV Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Fantha Tracks - June 25th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 10 Things Everyone Forgets About The 2008 Animated Movie - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- The Earth Dies Screaming is a proto Night Of The Living Dead - News Lagoon - June 25th, 2020
- Lee students receive DeCA scholarships - Public Affairs Office of Headquarters, US Army Combined Arms Support Command and Fort Lee - June 25th, 2020
- WILSON, WILLIAM - Richmond.com - June 25th, 2020
- Case Closed for the week of June 15-June 19, 2020 | Police beat - yoursun.com - June 21st, 2020
- More Bond Girls Have Died Than There Have Been James Bond Movies - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- JOE CORNISH AND JOHN BOYEGA STILL WANT TO MAKE THAT 'ATTACK THE BLOCK' SEQUEL - HorrorCultFilms - June 20th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of June 21, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - June 20th, 2020
- Industry bodies join forces to deal with climate risks - Insurance Business Australia - June 19th, 2020
- News | After Court Victory, RIC's Office of Community, Equity and Diversity Reacts - Rhode Island College News - June 19th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in connection with online orders at Wal-Mart in The Villages - Villages-News - June 19th, 2020
- Fann Wong goes on baking spree at home - straits times - June 19th, 2020
- 100 Best spy movies of all time - WRCB-TV - June 19th, 2020
- WANTED: Suspected Scam Artist May Still Be Operating in the River Region - Alabama News Network - June 18th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - June 15th, 2020
- Hometowns give you good memories; be proud of where you are from - Laurinburg Exchange - June 15th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH Was Unleashed in 1990 - Dread Central - June 15th, 2020
- TV program The 7 must-see tv this week: the Lord of The rings: the two towers, I'm not your black Baby Driver - D1SoftballNews.com - June 15th, 2020
- The best thriller movies on Netflix (June 2020) - Monsters and Critics - June 15th, 2020
- Slidell High School congratulates the Class of 2020 and its top scholars - NOLA.com - June 15th, 2020
- Elkins High honor roll announced | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 15th, 2020
- A Boise church repents and will remove a Confederate icon. Are others in Idaho next? - The Spokesman-Review - June 15th, 2020
- Christopher Lee Badass of the Week - June 13th, 2020
- James Bond: Every Bond Girl Who Died | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - NWAOnline - June 12th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 5 Ways The TV Show Changed After The Movie's Debut (& 5 Ways It Stayed The Same) - Screen Rant - June 12th, 2020
- No makeup, no problem: Fann Wong, Rebecca Lim and more prove that makeup is way overrated - AsiaOne - June 12th, 2020
- A Boise church 'repents' and will remove stained-glass window of Confederate General Robert E. Lee - East Idaho News - June 12th, 2020
- Band-Aid will make black and brown flesh-toned bandages to 'embrace the beauty of diverse skin' - SCNow - June 12th, 2020
- The Final Features From 10 Iconic Horror Directors, Ranked According To IMDb - Screen Rant - June 11th, 2020
- Live Protest Updates: Protesters Drop Red Paint On Streets During March From East Harlem To Wall Street - Gothamist - June 11th, 2020
- W&M community stands together amid 'sorrow and awakening' at virtual vigil - William & Mary News - June 11th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Times Union - June 11th, 2020
- Dracula Reboot To Be More Faithful To Original Novel Than Past Adaptations - Screen Rant - June 10th, 2020
- Court news June 9 - The Republic - June 10th, 2020
- Protesters tear down Christopher Columbus statue in Richmond, then throw it in a lake - WTHR - June 10th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Chron.com - June 10th, 2020
- Facts about Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh - Tatler - June 10th, 2020
- It happened today - this day in history - June 7 - Yellow Advertiser - June 7th, 2020
- Fann Wong still haunted by media report that she would have been 'submerged in a pig's cage' - AsiaOne - June 6th, 2020
- Police: Residents threatened with gun, turned into pursuit - KKTV 11 News - June 6th, 2020
- Whats on TV This Week: Martial arts star Bruce Lee on ESPN - Los Angeles Times - June 6th, 2020
- 10 Great Train Movies That Aren't Snowpiercer | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - June 6th, 2020
- Josh Gad Reunites 'Lord of the Rings' Cast Nearly 20 Years Later - TheWrap - June 4th, 2020
- Deluxe Corporation (DLX): Skating on Thin Ice? Beta Stands at 1.49 - The News Heater - June 4th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero