Does a man have to fight all his life only in death to take flight to the skies?/Warmongers vie to take my throne, no respect is ever shown.
The lyrics from the song Massacre of the Saxons could easily be mistaken for something by Iron Maiden, yet they came from the mouth of the then-91-year old British actor Christopher Lee, whodied from respiratory problems and heart failure todayat the age of 93.
Related: Prince of Darkness: 5 Christopher Lee Movies to Watch
While hes best remembered for playing various evil characters Dracula and Frankensteins monster for Britains Hammer Films, James Bonds foil Francisco Scaramanga in 1974s The Man With the Golden Gun and the wizard Saruman in Peter Jacksons Lord of the Ring flicks Lee had a longstanding fascination with metal, which he channeled into his own music late in his life.
Lee became a fan of metal in the early Seventies when he first heard Black Sabbath, whose guitarist Tony Iommi reciprocated the respect the actor had for his band and the genre it spawned. In a 2013 promotional video for one of Lees own albums, he told Iommi, You are the father of metal, to which the guitarist replied, But youre the one that started it, really, because we used to go watch Dracula and the horror films you did and thats what influenced us.
Regardless of whether metal started in 1958 with The Horror of Dracula or in 1970 with Black Sabbath, Lees first musical contribution to the genre didnt come until 2005 when the actor provided guest narration on Rhapsody of Fires single The Magic of the Wizards Dream. Two years later he dabbled in the genre again on his own 2006 operatic pop album, Revelation, with Toreador March (Metal Mix), a guitar-heavy reimagining of the song from the opera Carmen. Then in 2010 he teamed up with Manowar when the kings of power metal re-recorded their 1982 debut album, Battle Hymns, as Battle Hymns MMXI; Lee recited a spoken word passage originally performed by Orson Welles for the reworked version of the song Dark Avenger.
We mourn the loss of our friend Sir Christopher Lee posted Manowar bassist Joey DeMaio on Facebook. He was not only a great man and a talented actor, but also a great singer and a dear friend.
By the time of his collaboration with Manowar, Lee was already a bona fide metal recording artist in his own right, having released the galloping symphonic metal album Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross earlier in 2010. On it, the actor-turned-musician who released the records lead single, Let Legend Mark Me as the King, on his 90th birthday chronicled the history of the first Holy Roman Emperor in sung and spoken parts. He was, in fact, my ancestor and we can prove it, Lee told an audience at a speech in University College in Dublin.
Three years later, the actor took things to a new level of confidence and power with the heavier, more majestic Charlemagne: The Omens of Death, which was arranged by guitarist Richie Faulker right before he replaced K.K. Downing in Judas Priest. It is entirely heavy metal, Lee said in a promotional clip. Indeed, the album features Lee singing in an imposing baritone and other guest vocalists growling away while drums gallop and guitars chug and wail in accompaniment.
Lees final real metal release was the 2014 EP, Metal Knight, a hodgepodge of standards recorded with storming beats and crunching riffs. Lee also enjoyed putting out high-volume Christmas carols; 2012 EP A Heavy Metal Christmas featured amped-up renditions of The Little Drummer Boy, and Silent Night, and 2013s A Heavy Metal Christmas Too contained the single Jingle Hell. His last holiday tune was Darkest Carols, Faithful Sing, a spoof of Hark the Herald Angels Sing, which came out last December.
Due to his many contributions to the headbanging arts, both through music and film, Lee received the Spirit of Metal award from Iommi at the Metal Hammer Golden Gods awards show in 2010.
I have a great belief that things, no matter what they are music, literature, anything in life should from time to time surprise people and thats what I believe in: surprising people, he told Metal Hammerlast year. Heavy metal has, since its very beginning, surprised in the best sense of the word, and people all over the world. To be involved in that, and to show people that even now I can still surprise my audience, its very important. Ive spent my entire career taking risks. Acting is a risk, it has to be. Ive never been afraid, and Ive done my best to take those risks.
Follow this link:
Christopher Lee: The Actor's Secret Life in Heavy Metal ...
- Gossip mill: Christopher Lee in running for Best Actor in Golden Bell Awards but son can't smile and other entertainment news this week - AsiaOne - September 5th, 2021
- Winchester Little Theatre to offer mystery, laughs in first play of the season - Northern Virginia Daily - September 5th, 2021
- The enduring appeal of the Bond villain - Spectator.co.uk - September 5th, 2021
- THE CAT AND THE CANARY Returns to UK Tour - Broadway World - September 5th, 2021
- The Reclamation of Shang-Chi - The Ringer - September 5th, 2021
- Darth Vader Rated the 3rd-Best Movie Villain , But Who Beat Him? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Antony Costa cast in The Cat and The Canary at Darlington - The Northern Echo - September 5th, 2021
- From Captain Invincible to Cleverman: the weird and wild history of Australian superheroes - The Guardian - September 5th, 2021
- Live And Let Drive: The Cars Might Steal The Show In The New Bond Film - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - September 5th, 2021
- I turned to The Secret Life of Us for warm nostalgia. Instead, I found jarring memories - The Conversation AU - September 5th, 2021
- From PSG, Barcelona and Wrexham: The 18 former Newcastle United players on the move this summer - Shields Gazette - September 5th, 2021
- Revisiting the Weird Legacy of Lord of the Rings: The Third Age - Gizmodo - September 5th, 2021
- The Weeknd's watch collection is just as unconventional as you'd expect - British GQ - August 10th, 2021
- Photographer Christopher Lee Was at the Capitol on Jan. 6. Here's What It Was Like to Return to the Story for TIME's Mike Fanone Cover - Yahoo News - August 10th, 2021
- Who Is Kathy Hochul, the Politician Who Could Become the First Female Governor of New York? - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 10th, 2021
- Police officer killed 100 years ago | News, Sports, Jobs - Minot Daily News - August 10th, 2021
- Five actors who played real-life politicians on screen - The Express Tribune - August 10th, 2021
- Lee County deputy accused of tipping off drug operation A Lee County deputy is off the - Wink News - August 10th, 2021
- Carnegie, Scott area real estate transactions for the week of Aug. 8, 2021 - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2021
- 9-Disc Christopher Lee Eurocrypt Box Set Arrives Later ... - July 26th, 2021
- Man convicted in Tennessee toddler's 2001 death - CT Post - July 26th, 2021
- Traffic stop ended in chase, gunfire - suspect still on the run - WLTX.com - July 11th, 2021
- OTR: 'Band on the Run' cover features a plethora of people - The Sanford Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Its a horrible decision retired Major weighs in on troop withdrawal from Afghanistan - Eyewitness News (WEHT/WTVW) - July 11th, 2021
- SLED identifies suspect wanted in Oconee Co. deputy-involved shooting - WSPA 7News - July 11th, 2021
- 'Blood From the Mummy's Tomb' Was One of Hammer's Last Great Monster Movies [Hammer Factory] - Bloody Disgusting - July 11th, 2021
- Mayor Bowser Cuts Ribbon on New All Affordable Senior Housing Honoring the Late Todd A. Lee | mayormb - Executive Office of the Mayor - July 11th, 2021
- The Lord of the Rings: review - Mail and Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- A little bit of magic dust: the second life of The Secret Life of Us - Sydney Morning Herald - July 11th, 2021
- Charlottesville removes Confederate statues, including one that sparked deadly far-right rally - USA TODAY - July 11th, 2021
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory Premiered in Theaters 50 Years Ago Today - MovieWeb - July 1st, 2021
- Self-sanitising escalators, more space and different urinals - how stadium architecture will change in a COVID... - The Athletic - July 1st, 2021
- Le Roy remembers Maddie Masters during 2021 graduation | Top Story | thedailynewsonline.com - The Daily News Online - July 1st, 2021
- Awe-Inspiring Facts About Sir Christopher Lee - June 14th, 2021
- Christopher Lee and Fann Wong become the ambassadors of OMG! Gods of Three Kingdoms in Singapore, Malaysia, and Vietnam - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2021
- 'We are exactly where we're supposed to be:' Blue Hills Vo Tech graduates Class of 2021 - The Patriot Ledger - June 14th, 2021
- Soulmates found love on two wheels said 'I do' in their cycling gear - The Westmorland Gazette - June 14th, 2021
- They prepare animated film of The Lord of the Rings Tomatazos Explica .co - Explica - June 14th, 2021
- Raiders Of The Lost Ark At 40: Facts And Myths - The Vintage News - June 14th, 2021
- Make vaccination easier for persons with dementia - The Star Online - June 14th, 2021
- Essex crime: Faces and stories of 14 criminals jailed in Essex last month - Essex Live - June 14th, 2021
- Christopher Lee Had to Get Permission From the King of Sweden to Marry His Then-Fiance - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 1st, 2021
- The Wicker Man: 1973 folk-horror endures to this day as a masterpiece of the form - The Guardian - June 1st, 2021
- Christopher Lee and Vincent Price Honored by Horror Fans on Their Shared Birthday - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- After breaking the law, can Terence Cao and Shane Pow continue their careers like Christopher Lee? Showbiz insiders tell us - AsiaOne - June 1st, 2021
- 10 Awful Films The Lord Of The Rings Actors Want You To Forget - WhatCulture - June 1st, 2021
- The Lord of the Rings movie trivia every fan should know but not repeat - Polygon - June 1st, 2021
- Philly grapples with statues of Frank Rizzo, Christopher Columbus, and more a year after protests - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 1st, 2021
- Grand jury returns indictments in Henry County - BTW21 - May 21st, 2021
- Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring Turned Tolkien into a Pop Culture Behemoth - tor.com - May 21st, 2021
- Neil Marshall Interview: The Reckoning and More - /FILM - May 21st, 2021
- After George Floyd's murder, "The only way I got through it was God" - MSNBC - May 21st, 2021
- Let MOH do its job, say experts - The Star Online - May 21st, 2021
- Now Is the Perfect Time to Climb Aboard Horror Express - Gizmodo - May 8th, 2021
- The Man with the Golden Gun Retro Review - Comic Years - May 8th, 2021
- 'Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter': The Action-Horror Hybrid That Reimagined the Hammer Vampire Film [Hammer Factory] - Bloody Disgusting - May 8th, 2021
- Man gets 32-years-to-life in prison for first degree murder - Action News Now - May 8th, 2021
- James Bond movies ranked: 007's best, worst and everything in between - CNET - May 8th, 2021
- POLICE BEAT: MAY 4 | News | sanfordherald.com - The Sanford Herald - May 8th, 2021
- Land transactions for the week of May 2, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 8th, 2021
- Andrew Cuomo, Matt Gaetz, and the New Never Resign School of Politics - The New Yorker - April 23rd, 2021
- Obituaries 04.21.21 Henry County Times - The Henry County Times, Inc. - April 23rd, 2021
- Exclusive Interview Clancy Brown on his journey with the horror genre and his role in The Mortuary Collection - Flickering Myth - April 23rd, 2021
- Kevin Thorn | Obits | wvnews.com - WV News - WV News - April 23rd, 2021
- These are the five best movies on TV for your Wednesday night in - Lovin.ie - April 23rd, 2021
- A royal life on screen: the actors who've portrayed the Duke of Edinburgh - Royal Central - April 23rd, 2021
- THE MORTUARY COLLECTION Interview: Director Ryan Spindell and Star Clancy Brown on Their Above-Average Horror Anthology - ScreenAnarchy - April 23rd, 2021
- Geoff Dyer: Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry is like the gift of reading itself - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2021
- Amy Knox Wright | Obituaries | dailyadvance.com - The Daily Advance - April 23rd, 2021
- HS TRACK: Lees Whitehill an explosive shot put thrower - Midland Reporter-Telegram - April 23rd, 2021
- Land transactions for the week of April 4, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - April 5th, 2021
- Potter/Randall counties' court dockets for the week of April 4, 2021 - Amarillo.com - April 5th, 2021
- Arrest reports for the week of April 4, 2021 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - April 5th, 2021
- The 10 Best New Movies To Stream On Netflix This April Forbes #3 - Forbes - April 5th, 2021
- I didnt just cover the Humboldt Broncos bus crash I lived it alongside the rest of the city - The Globe and Mail - April 5th, 2021
- On This Day: What happened on 28 March? - The South African - April 5th, 2021
- Friends of the DA - Knock LA - April 5th, 2021
- Why is cinema obsessed with remakes? - Spectator.co.uk - April 5th, 2021
- Christopher Lee dead at 79 Author and historian who wrote BBCs This Sceptred Isle dies of Covid - The Sun - February 17th, 2021
- Arrest records from the Feb. 17, 2021 edition of the Calhoun Times - Northwest Georgia News - February 17th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero