The Elk Mound football team looks to delve further into the playoff season in 2017, after falling 39-0 to Stanley-Boyd in level two of the WIAA playoffs last year.
Head coach Dave Lew aims to make that happen by competing in every game until the clock hits zero.
We want to make this season, like all seasons, memorable for the players, our school and our community, Lew said. We would very much like to get to the playoffs for the third straight year in a row.
Though eight letterwinners were lost to graduation this past spring, 15 players return to the field with a great deal of experience and a thirst for competition.
With head quarterback Dane Lew among the seniors lost, now-senior Dylan Black returns to take on the role of quarterback one last time. Black shared the duty with Lew last year, throwing 30 completions for 262 yards and a 50 percent completion rate in eight games. Lew had thrown in nine games for 21 completions and 291 yards. Both quarterbacks had three touchdowns apiece.
Junior Brady Redwine returns as a running back who had 49 attempts for 231 yards and two touchdowns in 2016. Alongside Redwine will be senior Will Muszynski who rushed for 110 yards in nine attempts in just four games. Other running backs on the field can be found in senior Christopher Lee and junior Mason Close.
Fronting the offensive line will be seniors Andrew Benson, Brandon Gilbertson, Aric Jensen, Bryce Kasper and Conner Mavis, all of whom received first team all-conference honors in 2016. Other offensive linemen include juniors Brett Lew, Max Marquardt, Ryan Zurbuchen and Marquis Kasakaitas.
Juniors Colton Ward and Rian Flynn will return as defensive backs while Isiah Wald will take on the role as a linebacker.
Coach Lew said he was pleased with how the off-season went, with players focused on improving their agility and time spent in the weight room. He is expecting both the entirety of the junior and senior classes to step up into leadership roles this season.
With experience and confidence behind the ball in quarterback Black, coach Lew noted the Mounders will always be working to improve both the offensive and defensive lines.
Lew enters his fifth year as head coach and, with his experience competing in the Dunn-St. Croix conference, he sees Durand and Glenwood City as the teams to beat this year. Elk Mound lost to Glenwood City last year 30-18 and Durand 39-14 and finished the 2016 season with a 6-5 record overall, landing right in the middle of the DSC with a 3-3 record.
They [Glenwood City and Durand] both return a lot, but Im confident we will fit in the top half of the conference, Lew said.
The Mounders begin the 2017 season with an away game against Chetek-Weyerhaeuser this upcoming Friday.
Freshmen: Aidan Balts, Ryan Bohl, Reese Brunner, Blake Burlingame, Colten Cassellius, Zane Clemmens, Major Gunderson-Morris, Luke Hanson, Mason Hay, Ben Heath, Aaron Heuer, Michael Jenson, Alex Johnson, Lane Lee, Ethan Levra, Nate Lew, Sam Lor, Kody Mavis, Antonio Meyer, Zack Miller, Gabe Moschkau, Javon Pinley, Brett Rosenthal, Logan Schultz, Oscar Wald, Jayden Wyrwicki
Sophomores: Carter Brantner, Griffin Erdman, Derek Falkner, Will Gilbertson, Dominic Hall, Jacob Miller, Weston Moschkau, Chase Rhude, Nate Sweeney, Blaze Todd, Gaelen Young
Juniors: Tyler Bauer, Mason Close, Jack Emberson, Rian Flynn, Mitchell Fox, Ethan Kaanta, Marquis Kasakaitas, Marcus Kinblom, Hunter Lemler, Brett Lew, Andy Lor, Max Marquardt, Jake Mentzel, Brady Redwine, Isiah Wald, Colton Ward, Ryan Zurbuchen
Seniors: Andrew Benson, Dylan Black, Tyler Brantner, Jaylen Emberson, Brandon Gilbertson, Aric Jensen, Bryce Kasper, Ben Lambele, Chris Lee, Conner Mavis, Will Muszynski, Blake Rosenthal
Managers: Landon Kasakaitas, Kamron Diermeir, Caleb Knutson.
Assistant coaches: Kevin Garnett, Brandon Powell, Eric Young, Jon Chisholm, Jake Lerum, Dan Hay.
Student assistants: Lexi Schindler, Crista Sweeney, Emily Winchester, Anna Wolgemuth, Kourtney Zurbuchen.
Here is the original post:
Elk Mound football aims for playoff three-peat - Chippewa Herald
- Webinar: What past YAYA winners did next | Information - BD - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Building Design to announce AYA and YAYA shortlists in action-packed day - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Bookins | News - Evening News and Tribune - July 7th, 2020
- Sarah Wright steps into the role of Lee Town Moderator - theberkshireedge.com - July 7th, 2020
- From the Archives: Christopher Lee dies at 93; screen star ... - July 6th, 2020
- Everything Christopher Lee Did After The Man Who Could Cheat Death - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Theresa Stokes - Obituary - Legacy.com - July 6th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: Why The Two Towers Book & Movie End Differently - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Patients Entrust Their Lives On Admission, Not To Get A Free Cremation' - CodeBlue - July 6th, 2020
- Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher 3 Could Have Been Rated R | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Dil Bechara' and the long tradition of the posthumous release - Livemint - July 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 and CHOP could benefit Snohomish County real estate - The Daily Herald - July 3rd, 2020
- The woman who helped restore a north-east church by creating a 'Dracula Salad' - Press and Journal - July 3rd, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of July 5, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 3rd, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things We'd Change About Attack of the Clones (& 5 Things We'd Keep The Same) - Screen Rant - July 3rd, 2020
- [Update] When is Claes Bang Returning with Dracula Season 2 Release Date, Plot Details and Theories - Gizmo Blaze - July 3rd, 2020
- Property Transactions: July 1 | Business - news-herald.net - July 1st, 2020
- FOR THE RECORD - Daily Mountain Eagle - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Great Weird Movies Available on Midnight Pulp - ComingSoon.net - July 1st, 2020
- Moving On | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 29th, 2020
- Inflatable pilots, inappropriate jokes and 'jive talk': the madcap making of Airplane! - Telegraph.co.uk - June 29th, 2020
- Arrest Reports - The Daily Iberian - June 28th, 2020
- Second man arrested in connection with June 15 Copperas Cove shooting - Coveleaderpress - June 26th, 2020
- Petition seeks to replace Christopher Columbus statue in Cleveland's Little Italy with one of Ettore Boiardi, aka 'Chef Boyardee' - WKYC.com - June 26th, 2020
- Western Nevada College's Record Graduating Class of 2020 honored in drive-through ceremony - Carson Now - June 26th, 2020
- Harnett County man charged in shooting that left Benson man dead - The Fayetteville Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Film and TV Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Fantha Tracks - June 25th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 10 Things Everyone Forgets About The 2008 Animated Movie - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- The Earth Dies Screaming is a proto Night Of The Living Dead - News Lagoon - June 25th, 2020
- Lee students receive DeCA scholarships - Public Affairs Office of Headquarters, US Army Combined Arms Support Command and Fort Lee - June 25th, 2020
- WILSON, WILLIAM - Richmond.com - June 25th, 2020
- Case Closed for the week of June 15-June 19, 2020 | Police beat - yoursun.com - June 21st, 2020
- More Bond Girls Have Died Than There Have Been James Bond Movies - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- JOE CORNISH AND JOHN BOYEGA STILL WANT TO MAKE THAT 'ATTACK THE BLOCK' SEQUEL - HorrorCultFilms - June 20th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of June 21, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - June 20th, 2020
- Industry bodies join forces to deal with climate risks - Insurance Business Australia - June 19th, 2020
- News | After Court Victory, RIC's Office of Community, Equity and Diversity Reacts - Rhode Island College News - June 19th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in connection with online orders at Wal-Mart in The Villages - Villages-News - June 19th, 2020
- Fann Wong goes on baking spree at home - straits times - June 19th, 2020
- 100 Best spy movies of all time - WRCB-TV - June 19th, 2020
- WANTED: Suspected Scam Artist May Still Be Operating in the River Region - Alabama News Network - June 18th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - June 15th, 2020
- Hometowns give you good memories; be proud of where you are from - Laurinburg Exchange - June 15th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH Was Unleashed in 1990 - Dread Central - June 15th, 2020
- TV program The 7 must-see tv this week: the Lord of The rings: the two towers, I'm not your black Baby Driver - D1SoftballNews.com - June 15th, 2020
- The best thriller movies on Netflix (June 2020) - Monsters and Critics - June 15th, 2020
- Slidell High School congratulates the Class of 2020 and its top scholars - NOLA.com - June 15th, 2020
- Elkins High honor roll announced | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 15th, 2020
- A Boise church repents and will remove a Confederate icon. Are others in Idaho next? - The Spokesman-Review - June 15th, 2020
- Christopher Lee Badass of the Week - June 13th, 2020
- James Bond: Every Bond Girl Who Died | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - NWAOnline - June 12th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 5 Ways The TV Show Changed After The Movie's Debut (& 5 Ways It Stayed The Same) - Screen Rant - June 12th, 2020
- No makeup, no problem: Fann Wong, Rebecca Lim and more prove that makeup is way overrated - AsiaOne - June 12th, 2020
- A Boise church 'repents' and will remove stained-glass window of Confederate General Robert E. Lee - East Idaho News - June 12th, 2020
- Band-Aid will make black and brown flesh-toned bandages to 'embrace the beauty of diverse skin' - SCNow - June 12th, 2020
- The Final Features From 10 Iconic Horror Directors, Ranked According To IMDb - Screen Rant - June 11th, 2020
- Live Protest Updates: Protesters Drop Red Paint On Streets During March From East Harlem To Wall Street - Gothamist - June 11th, 2020
- W&M community stands together amid 'sorrow and awakening' at virtual vigil - William & Mary News - June 11th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Times Union - June 11th, 2020
- Dracula Reboot To Be More Faithful To Original Novel Than Past Adaptations - Screen Rant - June 10th, 2020
- Court news June 9 - The Republic - June 10th, 2020
- Protesters tear down Christopher Columbus statue in Richmond, then throw it in a lake - WTHR - June 10th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Chron.com - June 10th, 2020
- Facts about Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh - Tatler - June 10th, 2020
- It happened today - this day in history - June 7 - Yellow Advertiser - June 7th, 2020
- Fann Wong still haunted by media report that she would have been 'submerged in a pig's cage' - AsiaOne - June 6th, 2020
- Police: Residents threatened with gun, turned into pursuit - KKTV 11 News - June 6th, 2020
- Whats on TV This Week: Martial arts star Bruce Lee on ESPN - Los Angeles Times - June 6th, 2020
- 10 Great Train Movies That Aren't Snowpiercer | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - June 6th, 2020
- Josh Gad Reunites 'Lord of the Rings' Cast Nearly 20 Years Later - TheWrap - June 4th, 2020
- Deluxe Corporation (DLX): Skating on Thin Ice? Beta Stands at 1.49 - The News Heater - June 4th, 2020
- Alliance High School's Class of 2020 - News - The Review - The-review - June 4th, 2020
- Property Transactions: June 3 | Business - news-herald.net - June 3rd, 2020
- Grand Forks School Board candidates offer perspectives on budget pressures, neighborhood schools - Grand Forks Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Liberty High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- West Branch High School Class of 2020 - The-review - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Riverside High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Easley High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the D.W. Daniel High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero