The Inter-Mountain photos by Brooke BinnsGabryele Bedford, receives her high school diploma Friday evening during the Elkins High School graduation ceremony. Bedford, as well as all of her classmates, took part in a socially distanced ceremony, where each student picked up their own diploma from a table, rather than receiving it from school administration, as done traditionally.
ELKINS Elkins High Schools graduating class filled the stands of Wimer Stadium spaced six feet apart one last time as the class of 2020.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the EHS graduation was postponed and relocated from its original schedule. Despite restrictions, EHS administrators worked together with county officials to hold a gradation ceremony at Wimer Stadium, where families gathered, spaced distantly from others on the field.
Sofia Triplett, class valedictorian, said growing up in Elkins helped to shape she and her classmates.
In my experience, with friends in larger cities from around the state, Ive realized that, here in Elkins, we have to work harder and reach higher to compete with students from larger and wealthier areas in terms of academics, athletics, facilities and career opportunities, she said. But, you know what? Working harder, reaching higher and making do with what we have has helped each and every one of us to develop a better work ethic and has made us stronger.
Triplett went on to say one lesson her grandfather has taught her is, it takes a village to raise a child.
Sofia Triplett, valedictorian for Elkins High Schools class of 2020, delivers a farewell speech to her classmates at Wimer Stadium.
This period of reflection has helped mThe Inter-Mountain photos by Brooke BinnsGabryele Bedford, receives her high school diploma Friday evening during the Elkins High School graduation ceremony. Bedford, as well as all of her classmates, took part in a socially distanced ceremony, where each student picked up their own diploma from a table, rather than receiving it from school administration, as done traditionally.Sofia Triplett, valedictorian for Elkins High Schools class of 2020, delivers a farewell speech to her classmates at Wimer Stadium.e realize how this village has impacted me and all of my classmates, she said. When I talk about our community, I mean our parents and family; my close friends and their families; our teachers, coaches and administrators who are genuinely concerned about our development; our community volunteers who work to make our town a better place; our bosses who gives us work experience; our care providers who keep us healthy; our law enforcement officers who risk their loves to keep us safe and also stop me when Im driving too fast; and our community leaders who make Elkins a prosperous place to live. It is easy to take this support for granted.
Allison Dolly, class salutatorian, was not present for the ceremony but recorded her speech to be listened to by classmates and guests. Dolly emphasized knowledge is not necessarily measured by academic success.
Each and every one of us has faced obstacles that we have had to learn how to overcome. We dealt and moved forward, and thats what matters, she said. You all have achieved incredible feats in your years leading up to this moment, both in school and out of school, and this all deserves recognition. Many have gone through high school with the stereotypical belief that knowledge is measured solely on academics, so to speak, but there is more to it than that. Our knowledge is not limited to traditional education, and I am here to say that there is amazing talent and intelligence present today beyond the top 10 percent of the class.
While many students took part in the outdoor ceremony Friday evening, others chose to receive their diplomas in a smaller ceremony with family and friends. As an alternative for students who wished to receive their diplomas early, schools held small ceremonies where students and their families were invited to their home schools to walk across the stage. Superintendent of Randolph County Schools Debbie Schmidlen previously explained students were invited to wear their caps and gowns during a small ceremony where they were given a photo opportunity with their families.
EHS class of 2020 graduates include the following students: Sofia Frances Triplett, Allison Paige Dolly, Presley Shae Bates, Shelby Lynn Broseker, Rachel Olivia Crawford, Erin Nicole Dettinger, Antony Dong, Avery Edward Evick, Mackenzie Faith Holland, Madison Frances Holland, Elijah D. Jones, Isabella Marie Karlen, Taylor Delain McKinnie, Taylor Brooke Morral, Taylor Sage Oldaker, Liam Ezekiel Purkey, Alyssa Nicole Severino, Cindy Zhu, Sierra Nicole Adamson, Faith Winter Arbogast, Sean Albert Arbogast, Hannah Lane Bailey, Julia Cathriona Baldwin, Eli Davis Ballantyne, Stephen Michael Barnheart, Zachary Morgan Barrickman, Emily Paige Bedford, Gabryele Ashlyn Bedford, Nathaniel Todd Bennett, Bailey Morgan Bishop, Jayson Chadwick Blaha, Mikayla Mae Blosser, Gary Ray Bonnell III, Morgan Beth Bowers, Blake Carlos Brickles, Bethany Marie Brown, Joshua James Callahan, Tori Lynn Canfield, Cassandra Rae Carman, Nicholas Michael Casey, Summer Hope Channell, Joshua Thomas Channels, Alex James Chestna, Tyler Mark Chewning, Laylie May Clary, Hannah Jade Cobb, Ryan Kenneth Coffman, Hannah Hope Collins, Logan Carl Comer, Lillian Nicole Corley, Kyleigh Faith Crim, Alexanderia Michelle Cutright, Heidi Leanne Daniels, Brayden Maddix Davis, Hanna Mykle Davis, Jonathan Tyler Davis, Tyler Nathaniel Dawson, Christopher Ray Deuesenberry, Karli Marie Elswick, Samuel Paul Emery, Kenna Nicole Ferguson, Devan Alec Fletcher, Dylan Michael Ford, Talitha Dawn Fortney, Cherish Divine Furr, Zackery Brian Gates, Hannah Ivy-Elizabeth Gerlach, Benjamin Joseph Gongola, Gabriel Thomas Guire, Austin Damian Hamrick, Thomas Michael Hanna, Alexis Breanne Hare, Easton Frank Harman, Blake Michael Harris, Allyson Elizabeth Haynes, Karissa Dawn Hebb, Daniel Leonard Hempel, Rachael Nichole Henry, Cheyenne Paige Hensley, Jarrod Thomas Hickman, Holden Lewis Hinchman, Jeffery Austin Hinchman, Christopher Charles Hitt, Abagail, Nicole Howell, Michael Ryan Howels, Caitlyn Marie Hutchison, Cole David Iamurri, Aaliyah Paige Isner, Alainah Summer Johnson, Matthew Joseph Johnston, Anthony Connor Jones, Lane Garrett Kalar, Abbigale Lee Kaposy, Alicia Renee Kelley, Domanick Braydon Kennard, Mason John Kimbleton, Jesse Glen King, Devan Parker LeMarne, Contessa Leann Leary, Katelyn Rose Leary, Jacky Cage Lemons, Andrew Aaron Link, Preston Anthony Lipscomb, Zander Shaid Lloyd, Noahthea Mae Love, Ezra Gabriel Lowers, Elizabeth Jane Lynch, Brooklynn Cheyenne Mahanes, William Robert Mahley, Autumn Danee Mallow, Luke Wyatt Mallow, Gavin Luke Marks, William Alfred Marks, Devan Lee Martin, Hallie McKenna Martin, Jocelyn Marie Martin, Tiaeaigra Lyric Mathews, Haley Brooke McCauley, David Jessiah McCoy, Emilee Renea Mearns, Steven David Logan Merica, Christian Adam Merritt, Jared Michael Mick, Logan Hunter Miller, Alec Miller, Zachary Uriah Miller, Jordan Lee Mullenex, Michelle Alexandra Marie Murphy, Makell Joseph OBrien, Michael Thomas ONeill, DeAndre Antonio Owens, Kaylynn Alexis Owens, Bristol Karston Petrice, Elizabeth Jane Phares, Noah Robert Phillips, Lydia Kathryn Plishka, Jakob Joshua Eddie Plumley, Emma Elizabeth Post, Samantha Joellen Price, Brooke Ashleigh Pritt, Sarah Elizabeth Rager, Gabriel Logan Ray, Cory Andrew Reed, Trillian Marie Reed, Jessica Dawn Rexrode, Marla S. Roberts, Katlin Marie Robinson, Madison Kate Roy, Keaton Blake Salisbury, Alexandor James Salyer, Justin James Sawyer, Lilee Nevada Schoonover, Isaiah Connor Shiflett, Caleb Joseph Shipley, Sara Elizabeth Shoemaker, Hailey Jade Shrader, Richard Harrison Shryock, Isaiah Amin Cole Shumate, Donald Earl Singleton Jr., Remington Lee Stanley, Dalton Lee Staten, Jermaine Joseph Swiger, Abigail, Leanne Taylor, Jacob Grayson Tharp, Bailey Madison Tracy Nicholas Lee Vandevender, Julia Faith VanPelt, Jacob Christopher Vigh, Hunter Lee Ware, Haley Brook Warner, Garrett Michael Lane Wegman, Griffen N. Westerfeld, Isabella Nicole White, Justin Harrison White, Marcus Bryant White, Taylor Renee Williams, Tiffany Amber Wills, Harmony Mary Margaret Wilson, Whitney Jade Wilson, Isaac Edward Winans, Macy Corinne Wiseman, Dennard Demetrius Wyche, Destiny Faith Yeager, Haylie Jaye Young, Dillon Cole Yrizarry and Kayla May Zimmerman.
Today's breaking news and more in your inbox
With the Fourth of July less than a week away, there is an extra emphasis on outdoor activities in the age of ...
DULUTH, MN Keturah Frye of Buckhannon was named to the spring 2020 Deans List at The College of St. ...
ELKINS A Mabie man is behind bars after allegedly shooting a firearm at three individuals in a car.Nathan ...
CHARLESTON Gov. Jim Justice said Friday that he appreciated the work of Dr. Cathy Slemp, the state health ...
Read more from the original source:
Moving On | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain
- COVID-19 and CHOP could benefit Snohomish County real estate - The Daily Herald - July 3rd, 2020
- The woman who helped restore a north-east church by creating a 'Dracula Salad' - Press and Journal - July 3rd, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of July 5, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 3rd, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things We'd Change About Attack of the Clones (& 5 Things We'd Keep The Same) - Screen Rant - July 3rd, 2020
- [Update] When is Claes Bang Returning with Dracula Season 2 Release Date, Plot Details and Theories - Gizmo Blaze - July 3rd, 2020
- Property Transactions: July 1 | Business - news-herald.net - July 1st, 2020
- FOR THE RECORD - Daily Mountain Eagle - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Great Weird Movies Available on Midnight Pulp - ComingSoon.net - July 1st, 2020
- Inflatable pilots, inappropriate jokes and 'jive talk': the madcap making of Airplane! - Telegraph.co.uk - June 29th, 2020
- Arrest Reports - The Daily Iberian - June 28th, 2020
- Second man arrested in connection with June 15 Copperas Cove shooting - Coveleaderpress - June 26th, 2020
- Petition seeks to replace Christopher Columbus statue in Cleveland's Little Italy with one of Ettore Boiardi, aka 'Chef Boyardee' - WKYC.com - June 26th, 2020
- Western Nevada College's Record Graduating Class of 2020 honored in drive-through ceremony - Carson Now - June 26th, 2020
- Harnett County man charged in shooting that left Benson man dead - The Fayetteville Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Film and TV Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Fantha Tracks - June 25th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 10 Things Everyone Forgets About The 2008 Animated Movie - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- The Earth Dies Screaming is a proto Night Of The Living Dead - News Lagoon - June 25th, 2020
- Lee students receive DeCA scholarships - Public Affairs Office of Headquarters, US Army Combined Arms Support Command and Fort Lee - June 25th, 2020
- WILSON, WILLIAM - Richmond.com - June 25th, 2020
- Case Closed for the week of June 15-June 19, 2020 | Police beat - yoursun.com - June 21st, 2020
- More Bond Girls Have Died Than There Have Been James Bond Movies - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- JOE CORNISH AND JOHN BOYEGA STILL WANT TO MAKE THAT 'ATTACK THE BLOCK' SEQUEL - HorrorCultFilms - June 20th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of June 21, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - June 20th, 2020
- Industry bodies join forces to deal with climate risks - Insurance Business Australia - June 19th, 2020
- News | After Court Victory, RIC's Office of Community, Equity and Diversity Reacts - Rhode Island College News - June 19th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in connection with online orders at Wal-Mart in The Villages - Villages-News - June 19th, 2020
- Fann Wong goes on baking spree at home - straits times - June 19th, 2020
- 100 Best spy movies of all time - WRCB-TV - June 19th, 2020
- WANTED: Suspected Scam Artist May Still Be Operating in the River Region - Alabama News Network - June 18th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - June 15th, 2020
- Hometowns give you good memories; be proud of where you are from - Laurinburg Exchange - June 15th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH Was Unleashed in 1990 - Dread Central - June 15th, 2020
- TV program The 7 must-see tv this week: the Lord of The rings: the two towers, I'm not your black Baby Driver - D1SoftballNews.com - June 15th, 2020
- The best thriller movies on Netflix (June 2020) - Monsters and Critics - June 15th, 2020
- Slidell High School congratulates the Class of 2020 and its top scholars - NOLA.com - June 15th, 2020
- Elkins High honor roll announced | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 15th, 2020
- A Boise church repents and will remove a Confederate icon. Are others in Idaho next? - The Spokesman-Review - June 15th, 2020
- Christopher Lee Badass of the Week - June 13th, 2020
- James Bond: Every Bond Girl Who Died | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - NWAOnline - June 12th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 5 Ways The TV Show Changed After The Movie's Debut (& 5 Ways It Stayed The Same) - Screen Rant - June 12th, 2020
- No makeup, no problem: Fann Wong, Rebecca Lim and more prove that makeup is way overrated - AsiaOne - June 12th, 2020
- A Boise church 'repents' and will remove stained-glass window of Confederate General Robert E. Lee - East Idaho News - June 12th, 2020
- Band-Aid will make black and brown flesh-toned bandages to 'embrace the beauty of diverse skin' - SCNow - June 12th, 2020
- The Final Features From 10 Iconic Horror Directors, Ranked According To IMDb - Screen Rant - June 11th, 2020
- Live Protest Updates: Protesters Drop Red Paint On Streets During March From East Harlem To Wall Street - Gothamist - June 11th, 2020
- W&M community stands together amid 'sorrow and awakening' at virtual vigil - William & Mary News - June 11th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Times Union - June 11th, 2020
- Dracula Reboot To Be More Faithful To Original Novel Than Past Adaptations - Screen Rant - June 10th, 2020
- Court news June 9 - The Republic - June 10th, 2020
- Protesters tear down Christopher Columbus statue in Richmond, then throw it in a lake - WTHR - June 10th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Chron.com - June 10th, 2020
- Facts about Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh - Tatler - June 10th, 2020
- It happened today - this day in history - June 7 - Yellow Advertiser - June 7th, 2020
- Fann Wong still haunted by media report that she would have been 'submerged in a pig's cage' - AsiaOne - June 6th, 2020
- Police: Residents threatened with gun, turned into pursuit - KKTV 11 News - June 6th, 2020
- Whats on TV This Week: Martial arts star Bruce Lee on ESPN - Los Angeles Times - June 6th, 2020
- 10 Great Train Movies That Aren't Snowpiercer | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - June 6th, 2020
- Josh Gad Reunites 'Lord of the Rings' Cast Nearly 20 Years Later - TheWrap - June 4th, 2020
- Deluxe Corporation (DLX): Skating on Thin Ice? Beta Stands at 1.49 - The News Heater - June 4th, 2020
- Alliance High School's Class of 2020 - News - The Review - The-review - June 4th, 2020
- Property Transactions: June 3 | Business - news-herald.net - June 3rd, 2020
- Grand Forks School Board candidates offer perspectives on budget pressures, neighborhood schools - Grand Forks Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Liberty High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- West Branch High School Class of 2020 - The-review - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Riverside High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Easley High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the D.W. Daniel High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Bob Jones Academy class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Christopher Lee: A Legacy of Horror and Terror Documentary ... - June 2nd, 2020
- Away from their families for months, caregivers show signs of strain - The Star Online - June 2nd, 2020
- Johnson and King Earn VaSID Women's Lacrosse All-State First Team Honors - Southern Virginia University News - June 2nd, 2020
- Pamplin Media Group - Pair of thieves arrested in Damascus - Pamplin Media Group - June 2nd, 2020
- Watch 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reenact Some of the Trilogy's Iconic Scenes - HYPEBEAST - June 1st, 2020
- Movie review: Lucky Grandma takes on the Chinese mob, with a cig and a sneer - Online Athens - June 1st, 2020
- Happy Birthday CHRISTOPHER LEE! Here Are His Ten Best ... - May 30th, 2020
- Bridgeport graduates the Class of 2020 | News, Sports, Jobs - Martins Ferry Times Leader - May 30th, 2020
- When Christopher Lee Corrected Peter Jackson On Lord Of The Rings Set - Dankanator - May 30th, 2020
- Star Wars: Count Dooku Was NEVER a Sith and Tried to Save Obi-Wan (Twice) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 30th, 2020
- The Conneaut High School Class of 2020 | Local News - The Star Beacon - May 30th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero