What would The Lord of the Ringstrilogy look like if the series was remade with a new cast in 2021? The characters in Lord of the Rings are some of the most beloved in all fiction and the actors who brought those characters to life in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings each excelled in their roles. With the recent release of the 4K UHD version this December, many fans are revisiting Middle Earth and enjoying the groundbreaking achievements made by the Lord of the Rings cast and crew.The series is unlikely to be remade for a number of reasons, not the least of whichis that Jackson's Lord of the Rings would be difficult, if not impossible, to improve upon (and the Tolkien estate would more than likely object).
However, if the series were to somehow beremade, there is one underlying issue in the trilogy that would be brought to the forefront: a lack ofwomenand people of color. Aremake of Lord of the Ringscould include a more diverse cast, whether by creating new characters (as The Hobbit did with the divisive character, Tauriel, played by Evangeline Lilly) - or casting people of color and women in roles previously played by white actors and men. It's not an ideal solution to the lack of representation in major franchise films, but the alternative of recasting the films without any more women or people of color would be worse.
Related:Lord Of The Rings Characters Who Could Appear In Amazon's TV Show
Hopefully, the Lord of the Rings TV series on Amazon will prove to have found the best way toaddressLord of the Rings' lack of diversity by inventing an all-new story in the existing world of Middle Earth and creating brand new characters. That said, here's what a recasting of the Lord of the Rings trilogy could look like in 2021 with actors and actresses who are at the top of their game.
Asa Butterfield has been acting since he was eight years old and appeared in a few children's films before landing the lead role in Ender's Game. Butterfield's performance is one of the highlights of Ender's Gameand showed that, even at 16, he could carry the lead role in a highly anticipated film adaptation of a classic novel. Not to mention, Butterfield could pass as Elijah Woods younger brother. Butterfield (Sex Education) definitely has Frodo's look of youth and wide-eyed innocence, but more importantly, he could also portray the somber character that Frodo grows into.
Boyega's Star Warscharacter, Finn, could have been to Disney'ssequeltrilogy what Sam was to Lord of the Rings, butFinn never got the heroic story he deserved. Finn - and by effect, Boyega - were completely underused and misused in Star Wars:The Last Jedi and Star Wars:The Rise of Skywalker.Finn's character arc should have been on par with Samwise Gamgee, without whom (as Tolkien himself believed) the Fellowship's mission would have failed. Sam, once the unsung hero, has become one of the most beloved Lord of the Rings characters of all time for his courage, loyalty, and optimism - and Boyega would do the role justice.
Highmore starred in many popular productions as a child: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Spiderwick Chronicles, August Rush, and The Golden Compass - to name only a few. As an adult, he has stunned audiences with his incredible performance as Dr. Shaun Murphy on The Good Doctor. Currently, Highmore is almost exclusively a drama actor, but he has youthfulness and could be a good fit for Merry, who is a bit more serious than Pippin and has plenty of ambition and courage.
Related:Lord of the Rings: How Each Character Is Supposed To Look
The last of Frodos three hobbit companions, Pippin, could be portrayed by youthful actor Tom Holland. As evidenced by his role as Spider-Man in the MCU, Holland has the range to play Pippins funnier moments as well as his character growth into a mature and brave Guard of the Citadel. Holland and Highmore also look like they could be related, which is fitting since Merry and Pippin are first cousins.
Dev Patel is a fantastically underrated actor. He typically stars in dramas, but occasionally branches out - and the role of Aragorn wouldn't be his first venture into the fantasy genre. Patel played Prince Zuko in The Last Airbenderand, more recently, he starred in the yet-to-be-released dark fantasyThe Green Knight. The medieval tale happens to be based onan Arthurian legend translated from Middle English by none other than J.R.R. Tolkien, and the tale ofSir Gawain and The Green Knight may have inspired parts of the author's own fantasy epic, The Lord of the Rings. The Green Knight is one of many delayed 2020 releases, but if the trailers are any indication, Patel's performance will prove to bedelightfully intense. Patel always plays complex characters so well that he could certainly portray the serious, compassionate, sensitive, and noble character of Aragorn.
Actress Robyn Malcolm, who had a minor role in The Lord of the Rings:The Two Towers, once suggested casting a female Gandalf in future Lord of the Rings adaptations. The opinion was highly controversial, butif a remake did decide to go with this radical recast, Sigourney Weaver has provenshe could carry the role. Weaver is known for powerful sci-fi roles (Alien, Avatar, The Defenders) as well as impeccably sarcastic characters (Holes, Galaxy Quest, Ghostbusters), playing both hero and villain with a kind of humor, ferocity, and eccentricity that onlyshe can. Weaver might even portray a Gandalf who is truer to the books, where the character is generally more self-assured.
Legolas is another character that could possibly be played by a woman and Jones could handle the role. A lot of the qualities that Jones portrayed as Jyn Erso in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story would translate really well to an incredible female version of Legolas. Jones can do action scenes, portray stoicism, wax poetic (as Legolas often does), and deliver subtle humor, making her a good fit for the role of Legolas.
Related:Ready Player Two Shows The Problem With Amazon's Lord of the Rings
Warwick Davis was reportedly offered the role of Gimli but turned it down to appear as Professor Flitwick in the Harry Potter films.Davis is a prolific actor who has plenty of epic fantasy/sci-fi experience (Willow, Harry Potter, Star Wars) and could still play the part of Gimli. At 50 years old, he's now just slightly younger than John Rhys-Davies was when he played the role in Jackson's trilogy.
Henry Cavill is already busy with an epic fantasy role in The Witcher, but his portrayal of Geralt is so fantastic that it would be no-brainer to include him in a remake of Lord of the Rings. Before the show released, some were skeptical ofCavills casting in The Witcher he looked nothing like Geralt and had mostly starred in modern roles but hes nailed the role and shown that he could absolutely handle another epic fantasy role like Boromir.
Zendaya got her acting start on the Disney channel. Since her big-screen breakout role as Michelle in Spiderman: Homecoming, Zendaya has exhibited her ability to portray a wide range of characters in various genres, including a hit musical (The Greatest Showman) and upcoming epic sci-fi (Dune). Arwen, the Half-elven daughter of Elrond, has an even smaller role in the Lord of the Rings books than she does in the movies. And while Arwen's other features are noted (like her loyalty and compassion), her most defining characteristic in the books is that she's indescribably beautiful. The lovely Zendaya meets that description, but, more importantly, can match Liv Tyler's powerful (albeit brief) appearance in The Lord of the Rings: TheFellowship of the Ring.
In the Lord of the Rings books, Elrond is as venerable as a king of Dwarves, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, and as kind as summer." Elba certainly has the gravitas, kindness, and strength to portray Elrond, Lord of Rivendell and experience in the fantasy genre as Heimdall in Thorand Roland Deschain in The Dark Tower.
Related:The Witcher Vs. Lord of the Rings: Which Fantasy Series Is Better?
This seasoned English actor was once a member of the prestigious Royal Shakespeare Company, whose other notable alumni members include Sir Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian McKellen, and Dame Judi Dench. But Charles Dance has also starred in recent hit productions like The Crown and Tywin Lannister inGame of Thrones, proving he has maintained his relevance. Dance is a phenomenal actor and could live up to the late Christopher Lee's outstanding performance.
Saoirse Ronan is such an obviously great fit as Eowyn for many reasons. Not only does she have the look of a medieval warrior princess, but she also has the seriousness and vulnerability of Eowyn. The young actress has an incredible range, masterfully taking on action and drama roles left and right, and it would be exciting to see herasEowyn, slayer of the Witch King.
omer is a fan-favorite character from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, appearing in both The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: TheReturn of the King. Upon King Theoden's death in the latter, omer became King of Rohan. Richard Maddenhas, at least twice, playedkings in the fantasy genre before: he plays the noble and chivalrous Prince Charming in Disney's live-action Cinderella as well as the brave and fierce Robb Stark in Game of Thrones. Madden definitely has the experience to play omer - and he really looks like a young Karl Urban.
Hugh Bonnevilles Downton Abbey role as Lord Grantham showed that he can portray leadership, compassion, and stubbornness all qualities that Thoden possesses. It would definitely be a new venture into the fantasy and action genre for the drama actor, but it would be interesting to see what Bonneville could do with the role.
Related:Lord Of The Rings: The Character Nick Offerman Auditioned For
Another Downton Abbey actor, Dan Stevens, has gone on since his role as Matthew Crawley to play a wide range of roles: David Haller in Legion, the Beast in Disney's live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast, andAlexander Lemtov in Netflix's Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga. Taking a little bit from each role - tenderness, goodness, fierceness,courage,and light-heartedness - would make Dan Stevens ready to play the noble knight Faramir.
In all honesty, Academy Award Winning actor Gary Oldman could take on any number of roles in Lord of the Rings, but his previous role as Sirius Black isnt too far off from Denethor in appearance. Denethor's portrayal was maybe a little too villainous in Return of the King, compared to the more complex character that exists in the books. Oldman, who can play both hero and villain convincingly (and simultaneously), would likely bring out some of Denethors redeeming traits and make the character more interesting.
Gemma Chan starredin the British sci-fi series Humansand - though the role may be lesser known than her more recent appearance in the hit rom-comCrazy Rich Asians-her performance as Mia is so dynamic and interesting. The character is at times robotic and other times fully human, proving Chan's incredible talent as an actress.Chan, who stars as Sersi in the upcoming Eternals,could absolutely play the enigmatic and goddess-like Galadriel. Her voice has a similar melody and clearness to Cate Blanchetts theres a certain serenity in it and shed be a spectacular fit as Galadriel.
Hiddleston rose to fame as Loki in the MCU, debuting in Thor and eventually earning his own Disney+ TV series. The actor's portrayal of Thor's adoptive brother has sparked an entire subculture of Marvel fandom. The wry and cunning trickster, Loki, is absolutely more likable than GrmaWormtongue, but their appearance is fairly similar. In the book The Two Towers, Grmais described as "a wizened figure of a man, with a pale wise face, and heavy lidded eyes." Even at the risk of pigeonholing Hiddleston into the role of slick-haired, mischievous villain, there's no denying that he could perfectlyportray Saruman's evil henchman, Grma Wormtongue.
Related:Lord of the Rings: Every Character Confirmed For Amazon's TV Show
Tudyk is one of the mostprolific voice actors of our time and he definitely has range. Alan Tudyk may or may not be able tocraft a voice as simultaneously pitiful, grating, and snarling as Andy Serkis - but no one really saw Serkis's portrayal of Gollum/Smagolcoming, either.
Martin Freeman was so perfectly cast as Bilbo in The Hobbit and Freeman is the best thing in theHobbit trilogy.With a bit ofaging makeup, hes all set to play an older Bilbo in The Lord of the Rings.
The Lord of the Rings remains one of the greatest film trilogies ever made. It revolutionized filmmaking and brought a beloved classic book series to the screen in a way that lived up to Tolkien's work. It's hard to argue with any of the castings or performances from the trilogy and the passion the actors had for their work really shows in the final product. While the series isn't perfect, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is deservedly the gold standard for the fantasy genrewill be adored by fans new and old for years to come.
More:Lord of the Rings: Every Peter Jackson Cameo
Ryan Reynolds Jokes He Tricked Marvel Into Making Deadpool 3 Using Spider-Man
Caroline Fox is a freelance writer with a lifelong passion for writing and has proudly considered herself a nerd since childhood. Her other hobbies include various arts and crafts as well as gardening and baking.
- Level Access, G3ict and IAAP launches 2021 State of Digital Accessibility Survey to benchmark worldwide efforts to create inclusive technology - PR... - January 24th, 2021
- Boris Karloff Doc 'Man Behind The Monster' In The Works at Voltage - TheNewsTrace - January 22nd, 2021
- Feinberg Forecast: The Lay of the Land a Week Before Oscar Shortlist Voting - Hollywood Reporter - January 22nd, 2021
- Can you recognize these toonified Singaporeans? - Coconuts Singapore - January 22nd, 2021
- What The Cast Of Hugo Is Doing Today - Looper - January 22nd, 2021
- Police arrest person of interest after finding 2 bodies in Adrian - WTOL - January 20th, 2021
- Star Wars: It's Time to Admit Attack of the Clones Is Underrated - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 20th, 2021
- Lee postpones meeting to decide Rest of River cleanup stance - Berkshire Eagle - January 20th, 2021
- Kate and William devastated after Prince George barred from wearing the crown - Geo News - January 20th, 2021
- The Republican Party Has Distanced Itself From The Capitol Riot. But Local GOP Officials Fueled Supporters' Rage Ahead of Jan. 6 - Yahoo News - January 20th, 2021
- 10 Iconic Movies That Turn 20 This Year | TheThings - TheThings - January 20th, 2021
- PM Forming Expert Advisory Group On Covid-19 Response - CodeBlue - January 20th, 2021
- Virtual Aquatics / North swimmers will compete in unique conference format; East girls set for HHC - The Republic - January 15th, 2021
- 8 photographs of late rappers that will remain special to the culture - Kulture Hub - January 15th, 2021
- David Lynch And 9 Other Celebrated Filmmakers Who Have Moved To Netflix - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- Site Of The Bronx's "Big Pun Plaza" Revealed - AllHipHop - January 12th, 2021
- We Can Make America Anew Only If We're Honest About the Depth of the Ugliness and Hate Today - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- Retro-Cast: If Lord Of The Rings Was Made In The 1980s - Screen Rant - January 12th, 2021
- The top 10 best movies of 2020 - The Depaulia - January 12th, 2021
- These are the 10 best movie-villain cars of all time - Driving - January 9th, 2021
- US Capitol has seen violence in its 220- year history, but not like this - FOX40 - January 9th, 2021
- The Breach of the Capitol Spooked Us As It Should Have - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2021
- Tim Burton's 10 Best Movies, Ranked According To IMDb | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Christopher Lee missed son's first day of school, but was sure wife Fann Wong could handle it solo - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- JRR Tolkiens Lord of the Rings': 15 Facts About Fellowship of the Ring (Photos) - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- 13 Unexpected Musicians Who Have Released Christmas Music - TooFab - January 5th, 2021
- Feinberg Forecast: Scott's First 2021 Read of the Oscars Race - Hollywood Reporter - January 5th, 2021
- Dad who shot at teens trying to buy controlled substance from son charged for shooting into vehicle - WNCT - January 5th, 2021
- Tom Reimanns Top Ten Movies of 2020 - Collider.com - December 28th, 2020
- 26 Poignant Details You Missed In Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - FandomWire - December 26th, 2020
- Hanging by a Thread / COVID-19 has put winter sports season on thin ice - The Republic - December 26th, 2020
- Lawrence Of Arabia & 9 Other Great British Movies | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - December 26th, 2020
- 53-year-old man charged in connection with the deaths of Lodi grandparents - Stockton Record - December 25th, 2020
- North boys swim past Bloomington South; Panther girls top Bull Frogs - The Republic - December 25th, 2020
- Where to Find the Best Free Audiobooks - Cosmopolitan - December 22nd, 2020
- Real Estate Pay In 2020 And Beyond: Salaries Up, Bonuses Down And Don't Try To Hire On The Cheap - Bisnow - December 22nd, 2020
- Damon Lee Wilson | Obituaries | sanfordherald.com - The Sanford Herald - December 22nd, 2020
- Art House Meets Grindhouse in Reece's Climate of the Hunter - Critical Blast - December 19th, 2020
- 'Delving into the future and a possible authoritarian world' - In Your Area - December 19th, 2020
- Behind the scenes of the Southwest Journal - Southwest Journal - December 19th, 2020
- Lord Of The Rings: 5 Ways Gandalf Is The Best Wizard (& 5 Ways Its Saruman) - Screen Rant - December 18th, 2020
- Dracula 2000 captured the spirit of Y2K better than any other movie - SYFY WIRE - December 18th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 175 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - December 16th, 2020
- The 24 Best James Bond Movies Ranked in Order and Future - Gizmo Story - December 16th, 2020
- John le Carr (1931-2020): The former agent who leaves us a literary legacy of spies - Scroll.in - December 16th, 2020
- How Remote Learning Is Strengthening The Community At The School Of Visual Arts - Cartoon Brew - December 16th, 2020
- On the record December 9 - Seymour Tribune - December 11th, 2020
- AppHarvest Hires CBRE's Christopher Scott to oversee construction and commissioning of new indoor farms - GlobeNewswire - December 11th, 2020
- District Court criminal sittings at Brisbane today - Queensland Times - December 8th, 2020
- Mank is a reasonably engaging tribute to a neglected writer - The New Indian Express - December 7th, 2020
- Police roundup: Arrest made in West Huntington armed robbery - Huntington Herald Dispatch - December 5th, 2020
- 28 people indicted in Butler and Warren Counties - Hamilton Journal News - December 5th, 2020
- James Bond Revisited The Man with the Golden Gun - JoBlo.com - December 5th, 2020
- Gift Guide 2020: Best of Blu-ray and 4K UHD movies - Washington Times - December 5th, 2020
- The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond Revisited) - JoBlo.com - December 3rd, 2020
- X-Men: 5 Roles That Were Perfectly Cast (& 5 Actors Who Almost Played Them) - Screen Rant - December 3rd, 2020
- Persons living with HIV lament impact of COVID-19 on access to care - Guardian - December 3rd, 2020
- LEE REPORT: Rebels ride into playoffs on 5-game win streak - Midland Reporter-Telegram - December 3rd, 2020
- Peacock is Adding 12 James Bond Films This Week - Cord Cutters News - December 1st, 2020
- Bad to the bone: why actors find it so hard to leave their darkest roles behind - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- Texas 6 will reach out and grab you hard - The Flash Today - December 1st, 2020
- 10 Famous Directors Who Cast The Same Actors Over & Over Again - Screen Rant - December 1st, 2020
- East Lyme High School Quarter 1 Honor Roll - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - December 1st, 2020
- New York Theater Guide News - New York Theatre Guide - December 1st, 2020
- Lord Of The Rings: 10 Actors Who Could Have Easily Played Gandalf Besides Ian McKellan - Screen Rant - November 30th, 2020
- County Bookings and Arrests | News, Sports, Jobs - Tama-Toledo News Chronicle - Tama News-Herald - Toledo Chronicle - November 30th, 2020
- Films which you need to watch to update with the upcoming Star Wars 2021 film - The TeCake - November 30th, 2020
- How literary characters changed over time in cinema (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 24th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of Nov. 22, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - November 24th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 123 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - November 24th, 2020
- Horse Girl canon: The horse movies, books & toys that give a meme meaning - Report Door - November 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Best Bond Villain Showdowns - Film Threat - November 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Action Movies on HBO Max - Vulture - November 22nd, 2020
- In The Water / North, East return top boys swimmers; Olympians have new coach - The Republic - November 20th, 2020
- Johnny Altman releases 'Never Too Late To Rock And Roll' via Nub Music - Music News - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN Available on Blu-ray From Warner Archive December 1st - We Are Movie Geeks - November 18th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: The 5 Tallest (& 5 Shortest) Actors In The Cast - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2020
- IN CONVERSATION - Johnny Altman | God Is In The TV - God Is In The TV - November 18th, 2020
- Star Wars: Why Obi-Wan Didn't Kill Anakin In Revenge of the Sith - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2020
- Obituary: Christopher Nugent Severino, 40, Of West Haven - Patch.com - November 18th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero