Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings trilogy did a great job adapting the book series, but if it were to be made in the 80s, this would be the cast.
Peter Jackson'sLord of the Ringstook the early 2000s by storm, given its epic source material and near-accurate adaptation (animplausible feat for any other period of time prior). The graceful Elves, the mighty Dwarves, the adorable Hobbits were all incredible, but nothing was as impressive as the sheer grandeur of the cinematic narrative its battles and landscapes.
RELATED:Lord Of The Rings: 5 Heroes That Act Like Villains (& 5 Villains Who Act Like Heroes)
Ralph Bakshi had already come up with an animated version in 1978, but how would Lord of the Rings as a live-action movie be different had it been produced in the eighties? There were tons of actors skilled enough to play every character, and then some, but which of them would possess the required emotional strength to do justice to the story.
The charm of Ferris Buelleris evident to this day: this iconic movie made Matthew Broderick a superstar, permanently altering the trajectory of his career.
He may have gone on to do other roles, such as voicing adult Simba in The Ling King (1994) as well as the live-action Dr. Niko Tat0poulos in Godzilla (1998), but the best one remains his plucky teenager taking an unsanctioned school holiday with his friend and girlfriend. Ferris' adorable delinquency makes for a great Frodo (although rather different from Elijah Wood).
The incandescent Sydney Poitier has mastered the concept of versatility: he shifts from serious portrayals of race-relations in mid-century America to gangster-hunting to sports comedies.
Ian McKellen's Gandalf is no doubt one of the bestimaginable versions of the beloved wizard, but picturing the fiery Mr. Tibbs or the disciplinarian Mark Thackeray in long white robes and a flowing beard is surprisingly easy to do.
Eowyn is a rare example of a strong female character in the Lord of the Rings (Galadriel and Arwen taking on more indirect, passive roles in comparison). To cast her correctly, therefore, is not a matter of acting talent as much as the inner vigor of the actor involved; ergo, Linda Hamilton.
RELATED:Lord Of The Rings: 5 Ways Gandalf Is Different From The Books (& 5 He's Not)
Her performances in The Terminator franchise, Black Moon Rising (1986), and King Kong Lives (1986) prove beyond a doubt that she possesses the fighting spirit that Eowyn has been endowed with.
It's impossible to choose a superior option than 1980s Harrison Ford when it comes to Aragorn, a major player in the storyline (who also has the third installment in the series refer to him directly).
The actor had established himself firmly in cinematic sci-fi/fantasy with Star Wars, as well as Blade Runner (1981) and the Indiana Jones franchise. Ford is clearly able to pull off a strong, heroic character without having the audience doubt his motivations, which is a compulsory requirement to take on the mantle of Aragorn.
Michael J. Fox's Marty McFly in the Back to the Future trilogy is as iconic as the films themselves: thesprightly scoundrel who accidentally falls into an ocean of adventure when an old man (inadvertently) drags him into the convoluted world of time-traveling.
This parallel with Samwise Gamgee notwithstanding Gandalf being the old man in thiscase it shows that Fox is more than capable of playing Frodo's best friend, and, arguably, the real hero of the Lord of the Rings.
In the 80s, Robert Rusler and Robert Downey, Jr. were known fortheir teenage-oriented filmography, for instance,Vamp and Back to School, both released in 1986. However, as a pair of close pals working together (and pulling pranks on others), they shine in Weird Science (1985).
RELATED:Lord of the Rings: 5 Ways Frodo Is Different From The Books (& 5 He's Not)
To be clear, their characters, Max and Ian, are jock bullies who torture the two innocent nerd protagonists for the fun of it, but their villainyis just a matter of casting here. All they would need to do to become Merry and Pippin is to not take pleasure in the suffering of others.
Gollum is hands down the most difficult character in the LOTR universe, not just because of his visual uniqueness, but also his peculiar mannerisms, incomprehensible grammar, and tendency towards bursts of aggression, all of which have been carefully cultivated by the inimitable Andy Serkis.
Assuming that the technology to render Gollum on-screen so believably existed in the eighties, the pool of possibilities expands ever so slightly. In the end, though, Steve Martin is the perfect choice.
The grumpiest member of the Fellowship, Gimli, might seem like a serious character, but to be able to handle his various eccentricities requires an actor of considerable comic skill.
This is because the Dwarf's sense of humor, however negligible, is undeniably deadpan, the trickiest type of comedy to grasp. Bill Murray's Caddyshack (1980) and Ghostbusters (1984) are films that lend support to the argument that he would have been an excellent Gimli.
Johnny Depp is acknowledged as a fantastic actorof the absurd be it Edward Scissorhands (1990), Arizona Dream (1993), Pirates of the Caribbean (2003), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), and so on.
RELATED:10 Things You Didn't Know About Bilbo's Adventure In The Hobbit
But one must never forget that he began his career as Glen Lantz, Nancy's protective boyfriend in ANightmare on Elm Street (1984). Regardless of the fact that he ends up gruesomely murdered anyway, Depp demonstrates his ability to portray caring, vigilant characters, the very definition of Legolas Greenleaf.
It's not easy to justify placing anyone other than Christopher Lee in Saruman's shoes: the veteran performer delivers an exquisitely eerie rendition of the White Wizard who turns evil midway through the plot.
In fact, the man was old enough to play the role even back in the 80s, but there is an equally intriguing alternative. Marlon Brando's deceptively violent characters from Apocalypse Now (1979) and Last Tango in Paris (1972)substantiates his casting as Saruman.
NEXT:Lord Of The Rings: 10 Major Things The Movies Cut (Because They Had To)
Next 10 Best Modern Film Noir Movies, Ranked According To IMDb
In real life, Ajay disguises himself as an academic, mainly writing textbooks for children who all hate him for making their lives more miserable. He also writes about TV and film, strewing his opinions across the internet to see if people care (they don't).
The rest is here:
Retro-Cast: If Lord Of The Rings Was Made In The 1980s - Screen Rant
- Level Access, G3ict and IAAP launches 2021 State of Digital Accessibility Survey to benchmark worldwide efforts to create inclusive technology - PR... - January 24th, 2021
- Boris Karloff Doc 'Man Behind The Monster' In The Works at Voltage - TheNewsTrace - January 22nd, 2021
- Feinberg Forecast: The Lay of the Land a Week Before Oscar Shortlist Voting - Hollywood Reporter - January 22nd, 2021
- Can you recognize these toonified Singaporeans? - Coconuts Singapore - January 22nd, 2021
- What The Cast Of Hugo Is Doing Today - Looper - January 22nd, 2021
- Police arrest person of interest after finding 2 bodies in Adrian - WTOL - January 20th, 2021
- Star Wars: It's Time to Admit Attack of the Clones Is Underrated - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 20th, 2021
- Lee postpones meeting to decide Rest of River cleanup stance - Berkshire Eagle - January 20th, 2021
- Kate and William devastated after Prince George barred from wearing the crown - Geo News - January 20th, 2021
- The Republican Party Has Distanced Itself From The Capitol Riot. But Local GOP Officials Fueled Supporters' Rage Ahead of Jan. 6 - Yahoo News - January 20th, 2021
- 10 Iconic Movies That Turn 20 This Year | TheThings - TheThings - January 20th, 2021
- PM Forming Expert Advisory Group On Covid-19 Response - CodeBlue - January 20th, 2021
- Virtual Aquatics / North swimmers will compete in unique conference format; East girls set for HHC - The Republic - January 15th, 2021
- 8 photographs of late rappers that will remain special to the culture - Kulture Hub - January 15th, 2021
- David Lynch And 9 Other Celebrated Filmmakers Who Have Moved To Netflix - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- Site Of The Bronx's "Big Pun Plaza" Revealed - AllHipHop - January 12th, 2021
- We Can Make America Anew Only If We're Honest About the Depth of the Ugliness and Hate Today - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- The top 10 best movies of 2020 - The Depaulia - January 12th, 2021
- Recasting The Lord Of The Rings Movies In 2021 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - January 12th, 2021
- These are the 10 best movie-villain cars of all time - Driving - January 9th, 2021
- US Capitol has seen violence in its 220- year history, but not like this - FOX40 - January 9th, 2021
- The Breach of the Capitol Spooked Us As It Should Have - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2021
- Tim Burton's 10 Best Movies, Ranked According To IMDb | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Christopher Lee missed son's first day of school, but was sure wife Fann Wong could handle it solo - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- JRR Tolkiens Lord of the Rings': 15 Facts About Fellowship of the Ring (Photos) - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- 13 Unexpected Musicians Who Have Released Christmas Music - TooFab - January 5th, 2021
- Feinberg Forecast: Scott's First 2021 Read of the Oscars Race - Hollywood Reporter - January 5th, 2021
- Dad who shot at teens trying to buy controlled substance from son charged for shooting into vehicle - WNCT - January 5th, 2021
- Tom Reimanns Top Ten Movies of 2020 - Collider.com - December 28th, 2020
- 26 Poignant Details You Missed In Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - FandomWire - December 26th, 2020
- Hanging by a Thread / COVID-19 has put winter sports season on thin ice - The Republic - December 26th, 2020
- Lawrence Of Arabia & 9 Other Great British Movies | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - December 26th, 2020
- 53-year-old man charged in connection with the deaths of Lodi grandparents - Stockton Record - December 25th, 2020
- North boys swim past Bloomington South; Panther girls top Bull Frogs - The Republic - December 25th, 2020
- Where to Find the Best Free Audiobooks - Cosmopolitan - December 22nd, 2020
- Real Estate Pay In 2020 And Beyond: Salaries Up, Bonuses Down And Don't Try To Hire On The Cheap - Bisnow - December 22nd, 2020
- Damon Lee Wilson | Obituaries | sanfordherald.com - The Sanford Herald - December 22nd, 2020
- Art House Meets Grindhouse in Reece's Climate of the Hunter - Critical Blast - December 19th, 2020
- 'Delving into the future and a possible authoritarian world' - In Your Area - December 19th, 2020
- Behind the scenes of the Southwest Journal - Southwest Journal - December 19th, 2020
- Lord Of The Rings: 5 Ways Gandalf Is The Best Wizard (& 5 Ways Its Saruman) - Screen Rant - December 18th, 2020
- Dracula 2000 captured the spirit of Y2K better than any other movie - SYFY WIRE - December 18th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 175 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - December 16th, 2020
- The 24 Best James Bond Movies Ranked in Order and Future - Gizmo Story - December 16th, 2020
- John le Carr (1931-2020): The former agent who leaves us a literary legacy of spies - Scroll.in - December 16th, 2020
- How Remote Learning Is Strengthening The Community At The School Of Visual Arts - Cartoon Brew - December 16th, 2020
- On the record December 9 - Seymour Tribune - December 11th, 2020
- AppHarvest Hires CBRE's Christopher Scott to oversee construction and commissioning of new indoor farms - GlobeNewswire - December 11th, 2020
- District Court criminal sittings at Brisbane today - Queensland Times - December 8th, 2020
- Mank is a reasonably engaging tribute to a neglected writer - The New Indian Express - December 7th, 2020
- Police roundup: Arrest made in West Huntington armed robbery - Huntington Herald Dispatch - December 5th, 2020
- 28 people indicted in Butler and Warren Counties - Hamilton Journal News - December 5th, 2020
- James Bond Revisited The Man with the Golden Gun - JoBlo.com - December 5th, 2020
- Gift Guide 2020: Best of Blu-ray and 4K UHD movies - Washington Times - December 5th, 2020
- The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond Revisited) - JoBlo.com - December 3rd, 2020
- X-Men: 5 Roles That Were Perfectly Cast (& 5 Actors Who Almost Played Them) - Screen Rant - December 3rd, 2020
- Persons living with HIV lament impact of COVID-19 on access to care - Guardian - December 3rd, 2020
- LEE REPORT: Rebels ride into playoffs on 5-game win streak - Midland Reporter-Telegram - December 3rd, 2020
- Peacock is Adding 12 James Bond Films This Week - Cord Cutters News - December 1st, 2020
- Bad to the bone: why actors find it so hard to leave their darkest roles behind - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- Texas 6 will reach out and grab you hard - The Flash Today - December 1st, 2020
- 10 Famous Directors Who Cast The Same Actors Over & Over Again - Screen Rant - December 1st, 2020
- East Lyme High School Quarter 1 Honor Roll - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - December 1st, 2020
- New York Theater Guide News - New York Theatre Guide - December 1st, 2020
- Lord Of The Rings: 10 Actors Who Could Have Easily Played Gandalf Besides Ian McKellan - Screen Rant - November 30th, 2020
- County Bookings and Arrests | News, Sports, Jobs - Tama-Toledo News Chronicle - Tama News-Herald - Toledo Chronicle - November 30th, 2020
- Films which you need to watch to update with the upcoming Star Wars 2021 film - The TeCake - November 30th, 2020
- How literary characters changed over time in cinema (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 24th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of Nov. 22, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - November 24th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 123 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - November 24th, 2020
- Horse Girl canon: The horse movies, books & toys that give a meme meaning - Report Door - November 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Best Bond Villain Showdowns - Film Threat - November 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Action Movies on HBO Max - Vulture - November 22nd, 2020
- In The Water / North, East return top boys swimmers; Olympians have new coach - The Republic - November 20th, 2020
- Johnny Altman releases 'Never Too Late To Rock And Roll' via Nub Music - Music News - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN Available on Blu-ray From Warner Archive December 1st - We Are Movie Geeks - November 18th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: The 5 Tallest (& 5 Shortest) Actors In The Cast - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2020
- IN CONVERSATION - Johnny Altman | God Is In The TV - God Is In The TV - November 18th, 2020
- Star Wars: Why Obi-Wan Didn't Kill Anakin In Revenge of the Sith - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2020
- Obituary: Christopher Nugent Severino, 40, Of West Haven - Patch.com - November 18th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero