Atmore, Ala. -- Fighting a ticking clock and an unresolved legal battle, Alabama late Thursday halted plans to execute an inmate, saying there would not be time to carry out the lethal injection that evening.
A federal judge on Thursday stayed the execution of 46-year-old Christopher Lee Price to weigh his challenge to Alabama's execution process. Alabama urged the U.S. Supreme Court to let it carry out the execution, but prison officials announced at 11:34 p.m. they would not have time to carry out the lethal injection that evening even if the court ruled in the state's favor.
A divided high court ended up lifting the stay early Friday morning.
Because the death warrant setting Price's execution date expired at midnight, the state will now have to seek a new date if the courts allow the execution to proceed.
Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey and state Attorney General Steve Marshall said they would continue to pursue the death sentence for Price.
"This evening, the state of Alabama witnessed a miscarriage of justice," Ivey said in a statement. "This horrendous crime left Pastor Lynn's wife and family to grieve, and now, almost 30 years later, the family is still left with no closure," Ivey said.
Price was convicted of using a sword and dagger to fatally stab Church of Christ pastor Bill Lynn in 1991 as he prepared Christmas gifts for his grandchildren.
Prosecutors said Lynn, 57, was at his Fayette County home getting toys ready for his grandchildren when the power was cut. Lynn went outside to check the fuse box when he was killed, according to court filings.
Lynn's wife, Bessie Lynn, testified that she was in an upstairs bedroom watching television when she heard a noise. She said she looked out a window and saw a person dressed in black in a karate stance, holding a sword above her husband's head.
Bessie Lynn said she went outside to help her husband, but two men ordered her back in the house and demanded money and any jewelry and weapons they had. An autopsy showed that Lynn had been cut or stabbed more than 30 times.
A second man, Kelvin Coleman, pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in prison.
The decision to halt the scheduled execution concluded a lengthy evening as the victim's family and the inmate awaited word about whether the courts would let the state proceed with the lethal injection that was originally scheduled for 6 p.m.
Family members of the slain pastor, including Bessie Lynn and their daughters, had planned to witness the lethal injection, prison system spokesperson Samantha Banks said.
Price on Wednesday had married his fiance in the visitation yard of the prison after making a final request to hold the wedding ceremony before his execution.
He ordered two pints of Turtle Tracks ice cream for his final meal.
The last-minute bid to stop the execution centered on Price's request to be put to death by breathing nitrogen gas, an execution method the state has authorized but not used.
Alabama in 2018 authorized nitrogen hypoxia as an alternative for carrying out death sentences. However, the state has not used nitrogen in an execution or developed procedures to do so.
Price's attorneys argued that Alabama's lethal injection drug combination has led to "botched" executions and that nitrogen hypoxia would be less painful.
U.S. Supreme Court precedent says inmates challenging a state's method of execution must show that there is an available alternative that is also likely to be less painful. The state argued in court filings that even though nitrogen hypoxia is authorized under Alabama law, it is unavailable because the state has been unable to "procure the means for executing someone with nitrogen gas."
Price's attorneys pointed to the fact that Alabama has allowed inmates to select nitrogen as their preferred execution method.
According to the state, 48 of the more than 170 inmates on death row have elected to be put to death by nitrogen hypoxia. Alabama said Price missed a deadline to select nitrogen as his preferred execution method.
Alabama has carried out one execution so far this year. In February, inmate Dominique Ray was executed for the 1995 murder of a 15-year-old girl.
Go here to read the rest:
Sword and dagger killer Christopher Lee Price: Alabama ...
- Christopher Lee: The untold life of the SAS soldier who ... - July 9th, 2020
- Star Wars Writer Reveals What Count Dooku's Origin Story Would Be Like - Epicstream - July 9th, 2020
- Here Are 10 Of The Best Films On TV Tonight - Balls.ie - July 9th, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things Fans Would Change About Revenge of the Sith (& 5 Things About A New Hope) - Screen Rant - July 9th, 2020
- 100 Best spy movies of all time - KAKE - July 9th, 2020
- How 'The Spy Who Loved Me' Resurrected the James Bond Franchise - Ultimate Classic Rock - July 9th, 2020
- Schwabe Strengthens Natural Resources and Alaska Native Presence with Key Hires in Anchorage Office Expansion - Anchorage Press - July 9th, 2020
- Cameron University announces spring 2020 honor rolls - The Lawton Constitution - July 9th, 2020
- Webinar: What past YAYA winners did next | Information - BD - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Building Design to announce AYA and YAYA shortlists in action-packed day - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Bookins | News - Evening News and Tribune - July 7th, 2020
- Sarah Wright steps into the role of Lee Town Moderator - theberkshireedge.com - July 7th, 2020
- From the Archives: Christopher Lee dies at 93; screen star ... - July 6th, 2020
- Everything Christopher Lee Did After The Man Who Could Cheat Death - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Theresa Stokes - Obituary - Legacy.com - July 6th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: Why The Two Towers Book & Movie End Differently - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Patients Entrust Their Lives On Admission, Not To Get A Free Cremation' - CodeBlue - July 6th, 2020
- Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher 3 Could Have Been Rated R | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Dil Bechara' and the long tradition of the posthumous release - Livemint - July 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 and CHOP could benefit Snohomish County real estate - The Daily Herald - July 3rd, 2020
- The woman who helped restore a north-east church by creating a 'Dracula Salad' - Press and Journal - July 3rd, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of July 5, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 3rd, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things We'd Change About Attack of the Clones (& 5 Things We'd Keep The Same) - Screen Rant - July 3rd, 2020
- [Update] When is Claes Bang Returning with Dracula Season 2 Release Date, Plot Details and Theories - Gizmo Blaze - July 3rd, 2020
- Property Transactions: July 1 | Business - news-herald.net - July 1st, 2020
- FOR THE RECORD - Daily Mountain Eagle - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Great Weird Movies Available on Midnight Pulp - ComingSoon.net - July 1st, 2020
- Moving On | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 29th, 2020
- Inflatable pilots, inappropriate jokes and 'jive talk': the madcap making of Airplane! - Telegraph.co.uk - June 29th, 2020
- Arrest Reports - The Daily Iberian - June 28th, 2020
- Second man arrested in connection with June 15 Copperas Cove shooting - Coveleaderpress - June 26th, 2020
- Petition seeks to replace Christopher Columbus statue in Cleveland's Little Italy with one of Ettore Boiardi, aka 'Chef Boyardee' - WKYC.com - June 26th, 2020
- Western Nevada College's Record Graduating Class of 2020 honored in drive-through ceremony - Carson Now - June 26th, 2020
- Harnett County man charged in shooting that left Benson man dead - The Fayetteville Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Film and TV Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Fantha Tracks - June 25th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 10 Things Everyone Forgets About The 2008 Animated Movie - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- The Earth Dies Screaming is a proto Night Of The Living Dead - News Lagoon - June 25th, 2020
- Lee students receive DeCA scholarships - Public Affairs Office of Headquarters, US Army Combined Arms Support Command and Fort Lee - June 25th, 2020
- WILSON, WILLIAM - Richmond.com - June 25th, 2020
- Case Closed for the week of June 15-June 19, 2020 | Police beat - yoursun.com - June 21st, 2020
- More Bond Girls Have Died Than There Have Been James Bond Movies - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- JOE CORNISH AND JOHN BOYEGA STILL WANT TO MAKE THAT 'ATTACK THE BLOCK' SEQUEL - HorrorCultFilms - June 20th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of June 21, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - June 20th, 2020
- Industry bodies join forces to deal with climate risks - Insurance Business Australia - June 19th, 2020
- News | After Court Victory, RIC's Office of Community, Equity and Diversity Reacts - Rhode Island College News - June 19th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in connection with online orders at Wal-Mart in The Villages - Villages-News - June 19th, 2020
- Fann Wong goes on baking spree at home - straits times - June 19th, 2020
- 100 Best spy movies of all time - WRCB-TV - June 19th, 2020
- WANTED: Suspected Scam Artist May Still Be Operating in the River Region - Alabama News Network - June 18th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - June 15th, 2020
- Hometowns give you good memories; be proud of where you are from - Laurinburg Exchange - June 15th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH Was Unleashed in 1990 - Dread Central - June 15th, 2020
- TV program The 7 must-see tv this week: the Lord of The rings: the two towers, I'm not your black Baby Driver - D1SoftballNews.com - June 15th, 2020
- The best thriller movies on Netflix (June 2020) - Monsters and Critics - June 15th, 2020
- Slidell High School congratulates the Class of 2020 and its top scholars - NOLA.com - June 15th, 2020
- Elkins High honor roll announced | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 15th, 2020
- A Boise church repents and will remove a Confederate icon. Are others in Idaho next? - The Spokesman-Review - June 15th, 2020
- Christopher Lee Badass of the Week - June 13th, 2020
- James Bond: Every Bond Girl Who Died | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - NWAOnline - June 12th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 5 Ways The TV Show Changed After The Movie's Debut (& 5 Ways It Stayed The Same) - Screen Rant - June 12th, 2020
- No makeup, no problem: Fann Wong, Rebecca Lim and more prove that makeup is way overrated - AsiaOne - June 12th, 2020
- A Boise church 'repents' and will remove stained-glass window of Confederate General Robert E. Lee - East Idaho News - June 12th, 2020
- Band-Aid will make black and brown flesh-toned bandages to 'embrace the beauty of diverse skin' - SCNow - June 12th, 2020
- The Final Features From 10 Iconic Horror Directors, Ranked According To IMDb - Screen Rant - June 11th, 2020
- Live Protest Updates: Protesters Drop Red Paint On Streets During March From East Harlem To Wall Street - Gothamist - June 11th, 2020
- W&M community stands together amid 'sorrow and awakening' at virtual vigil - William & Mary News - June 11th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Times Union - June 11th, 2020
- Dracula Reboot To Be More Faithful To Original Novel Than Past Adaptations - Screen Rant - June 10th, 2020
- Court news June 9 - The Republic - June 10th, 2020
- Protesters tear down Christopher Columbus statue in Richmond, then throw it in a lake - WTHR - June 10th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Chron.com - June 10th, 2020
- Facts about Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh - Tatler - June 10th, 2020
- It happened today - this day in history - June 7 - Yellow Advertiser - June 7th, 2020
- Fann Wong still haunted by media report that she would have been 'submerged in a pig's cage' - AsiaOne - June 6th, 2020
- Police: Residents threatened with gun, turned into pursuit - KKTV 11 News - June 6th, 2020
- Whats on TV This Week: Martial arts star Bruce Lee on ESPN - Los Angeles Times - June 6th, 2020
- 10 Great Train Movies That Aren't Snowpiercer | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - June 6th, 2020
- Josh Gad Reunites 'Lord of the Rings' Cast Nearly 20 Years Later - TheWrap - June 4th, 2020
- Deluxe Corporation (DLX): Skating on Thin Ice? Beta Stands at 1.49 - The News Heater - June 4th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero