For many, British actor Sir Christopher Lee seemed like one of those ageless people who might go on forever, a person who might actually be as immortal as the infamous vampire whom he portrayed so many times on the big screen. On June 7th, 2015, however, Leesbody finally failed what seems like an unstoppable spirit, and one of the most interesting men of this era died.
The news of Lees death only became public on June 11th, 2015, and nerds all over the globe lamented his passing and remembered him with revered fondness . . . a man both charming and intimidating at once. Yesterday, active members of The Pandora Society Facebook Group, were polled with regards to their favorite on screen roles of Sir Christopher Lee, and here are the results . . .
In 1999sThe Phantom Menace,the new villainy of theStar Warsuniverse was the stoic Darth Maul and the mysterious Darth Sidious, but in 2002 Darth Tyranus, aka Count Dooku, gave a new face to the dark side of the force, and a soothing seductive voice to go with it. Dooku is a former Jedi, described as a political idealist, it is revealed that Qui Gon Ginn (Liam Neeson) was Dookus padawan, and that Yoda was Dookus master, but little exposition is given as to why he left the Order.
Dooku emerges inAttack of the Clones as the open leader of the newly formed Separatist Planets who wish to secede from the Republic; he is in essence the Jefferson Davis ofStar Wars.In secret, however, Dooku is the latest apprentice of the evil Darth Sidious whois plotting the internal downfall of the Jedis and the Republic. InRevenge of the Sith, Dooku only has a shortappearance, leading up to his betrayal by Sidious, but inThe Clones Warsanimations and TV series Dooku (voiced by Lee) gets far more screen time and character development than both of the live action films combined.
The Last Unicorn,adapted from the book by Peter S. Beagleof the same title,seems to reside in a similar nerd space asThe Princess Bride (1987) for being a fantasy sword and sorcery tale that is more popular with female audiences than male. Released in 1982, there is something distinctly 70s in the films production, the style, the soundtrack, and that post-hippie movement vibe.
Christopher Leevoices King Haggard, the ruler of a dreary kingdom who has never been happy, save for when he looks at unicorns. Beagle described Lee as the last of the great 20th Century actors, and either the most-literate or second-most literate performer Ive ever met.When Lee came in to work, he brought his own copy of the novel wherein he took note of lines that he believed should not be omitted.Lee, who wasfluent in German, also voiced King Haggard in the German dub of the film.
NOT to be mistaken with the 2006 remake withNicolas Cage,The Wicker Man is a strange thriller in which police sergeant Neil Howie(Edward Woodwood) is sent to Summerisle, a Scottish island village, in search of a missing girl whom the townsfolk claim never existed. Stranger still are the rites that take place there.
Christopher Lee plays theleader of the village, the eccentric and charming Lord Summerisle, third generation Laird or owner of the island. Descended from his grandfather who came to the isle full of mid-Victorian zeal as he put it, Lord Summerisle has maintained and encouraged the pagan beliefs instilled in the islands population by his father and grandfather. The islands seemingly unnatural ability to sustain tropical plant species, abundant crop yields, and fruitful orchards is attributed by all to their worship of the old gods.As the plot progresses and the investigation unfolds, the conflict betweenSummerisle andHowie becomes a showdown between Paganism and Christianity.
Despite Lees 70 year acting career and numerable roles, the role of Dracula is the most prominent part of his legacy. Between 1957 and 1976, Lee was a regular troupe member of the Hammer Horror Studiothat created numerous horror films in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. His first appearance asCount Dracula was in 1958 withDracula,and for the following 15 years he played the infamous vampire in seven sequels:The Brides of Dracula (1960),Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966),Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968),Taste the Blood of Dracula (May 7, 1970),Scars of Dracula (November 8, 1970),Dracula AD 1972 (1972), andThe Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973).
Lees Dracula is the third step in the characters onscreen evolution. The first incarnation of Dracula was Max Schreck inNosteratu(1922) as Count Orlok, a very sub-creature being, and then in 1931 came Bela Lugosi inDracula who added sophisticationand seductive charm to the role, but still had that foreigner non-Anglo look which signaled to a 1930s audience racial inferiority. Standing at almost six and a half feet and with chiseled facial features, Lee brought an entirely new level of powerfulness to the role, and for three decades he dominated the standard against which all over Dracula performances would be measured.
After his tenure as Dracula, Christopher Lee was constantly busy with numerable films and TV shows per year, but in 2001 Lee seem to undergo a renaissance in the public eye with his role as the wizard Saruman inThe Fellowship of the Ring.
Sarumanis leader of the Istari, wizards sent to Middle-earth in human form by the godlike Valar to challenge Sauron, the main antagonist of the novel, but eventually he desires Saurons power for himself and tries to take over Middle-earth by force. His schemes feature prominently in the second volume, The Two Towers, and at the end of the third volume, The Return of the King. His earlier history is given briefly in the posthumously published The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.
From the set ofThe Return of the King, comes the now legendary tale of Christopher Lees being an utter bad ass! Director Peter Jackson was blocking a scene in which Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) stabs Saruman in the back. After Jacksons long explanation about how he wanted Lee to react, Lee calmly asked, Have you any idea what kind of noise happens when somebodys stabbed in the back? and then stated, Because I do. Honoring his oaths of military secrecy from World War II, Lee never spoke in detail about his work as a British secret agent, but the myth is that he was actually the real life inspiration for Ian Flemings super spy James Bond.
In a career that lasted 70 years, there were clearly far more than five films suggested by the active members of the Pandora Society. Runners up in the poll includedThe Man with the Golden Gun (1974) as Scaramanga, an adversary with more panache than Bond,Alice in Wonderland(2010) as the voice of the Jabberwocky,To the Devil a Daughter (1974) his last film with Hammer Horror, andThe Color of Magic(2008) in which he was the voice of Death . . . a role that he embraced on June 7th, 2015.
Even though we all realistically knew that Sir Christopher Lee was a mere mortal like the rest of us, he exuded such a larger than life presence, but without any sense of inflated ego or arrogance, that he did seem like he would never leave us. Lee was from a rare breed of manwho possess skill, vitality, and commands respect while behaving like a perfect gentlemen to all whom he meets. On the screen he was the most charming and scary villain whom we all feared and loved at the same time . . . to badly quote Shakespeare . . .Goodnight sweet Prince [of Darkness].
Read the original here:
The Pandora Society Sir Christopher Lees Top Five Movie Roles.
- Webinar: What past YAYA winners did next | Information - BD - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Building Design to announce AYA and YAYA shortlists in action-packed day - Building Design - July 7th, 2020
- Bookins | News - Evening News and Tribune - July 7th, 2020
- Sarah Wright steps into the role of Lee Town Moderator - theberkshireedge.com - July 7th, 2020
- From the Archives: Christopher Lee dies at 93; screen star ... - July 6th, 2020
- Everything Christopher Lee Did After The Man Who Could Cheat Death - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Theresa Stokes - Obituary - Legacy.com - July 6th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: Why The Two Towers Book & Movie End Differently - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Patients Entrust Their Lives On Admission, Not To Get A Free Cremation' - CodeBlue - July 6th, 2020
- Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher 3 Could Have Been Rated R | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- 'Dil Bechara' and the long tradition of the posthumous release - Livemint - July 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 and CHOP could benefit Snohomish County real estate - The Daily Herald - July 3rd, 2020
- The woman who helped restore a north-east church by creating a 'Dracula Salad' - Press and Journal - July 3rd, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of July 5, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 3rd, 2020
- Star Wars: 5 Things We'd Change About Attack of the Clones (& 5 Things We'd Keep The Same) - Screen Rant - July 3rd, 2020
- [Update] When is Claes Bang Returning with Dracula Season 2 Release Date, Plot Details and Theories - Gizmo Blaze - July 3rd, 2020
- Property Transactions: July 1 | Business - news-herald.net - July 1st, 2020
- FOR THE RECORD - Daily Mountain Eagle - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Great Weird Movies Available on Midnight Pulp - ComingSoon.net - July 1st, 2020
- Moving On | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 29th, 2020
- Inflatable pilots, inappropriate jokes and 'jive talk': the madcap making of Airplane! - Telegraph.co.uk - June 29th, 2020
- Arrest Reports - The Daily Iberian - June 28th, 2020
- Second man arrested in connection with June 15 Copperas Cove shooting - Coveleaderpress - June 26th, 2020
- Petition seeks to replace Christopher Columbus statue in Cleveland's Little Italy with one of Ettore Boiardi, aka 'Chef Boyardee' - WKYC.com - June 26th, 2020
- Western Nevada College's Record Graduating Class of 2020 honored in drive-through ceremony - Carson Now - June 26th, 2020
- Harnett County man charged in shooting that left Benson man dead - The Fayetteville Observer - June 25th, 2020
- Film and TV Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Fantha Tracks - June 25th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 10 Things Everyone Forgets About The 2008 Animated Movie - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- The Earth Dies Screaming is a proto Night Of The Living Dead - News Lagoon - June 25th, 2020
- Lee students receive DeCA scholarships - Public Affairs Office of Headquarters, US Army Combined Arms Support Command and Fort Lee - June 25th, 2020
- WILSON, WILLIAM - Richmond.com - June 25th, 2020
- Case Closed for the week of June 15-June 19, 2020 | Police beat - yoursun.com - June 21st, 2020
- More Bond Girls Have Died Than There Have Been James Bond Movies - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- JOE CORNISH AND JOHN BOYEGA STILL WANT TO MAKE THAT 'ATTACK THE BLOCK' SEQUEL - HorrorCultFilms - June 20th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of June 21, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - June 20th, 2020
- Industry bodies join forces to deal with climate risks - Insurance Business Australia - June 19th, 2020
- News | After Court Victory, RIC's Office of Community, Equity and Diversity Reacts - Rhode Island College News - June 19th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in connection with online orders at Wal-Mart in The Villages - Villages-News - June 19th, 2020
- Fann Wong goes on baking spree at home - straits times - June 19th, 2020
- 100 Best spy movies of all time - WRCB-TV - June 19th, 2020
- WANTED: Suspected Scam Artist May Still Be Operating in the River Region - Alabama News Network - June 18th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - June 15th, 2020
- Hometowns give you good memories; be proud of where you are from - Laurinburg Exchange - June 15th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH Was Unleashed in 1990 - Dread Central - June 15th, 2020
- TV program The 7 must-see tv this week: the Lord of The rings: the two towers, I'm not your black Baby Driver - D1SoftballNews.com - June 15th, 2020
- The best thriller movies on Netflix (June 2020) - Monsters and Critics - June 15th, 2020
- Slidell High School congratulates the Class of 2020 and its top scholars - NOLA.com - June 15th, 2020
- Elkins High honor roll announced | News, Sports, Jobs - The Inter-Mountain - June 15th, 2020
- A Boise church repents and will remove a Confederate icon. Are others in Idaho next? - The Spokesman-Review - June 15th, 2020
- Christopher Lee Badass of the Week - June 13th, 2020
- James Bond: Every Bond Girl Who Died | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - NWAOnline - June 12th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 5 Ways The TV Show Changed After The Movie's Debut (& 5 Ways It Stayed The Same) - Screen Rant - June 12th, 2020
- No makeup, no problem: Fann Wong, Rebecca Lim and more prove that makeup is way overrated - AsiaOne - June 12th, 2020
- A Boise church 'repents' and will remove stained-glass window of Confederate General Robert E. Lee - East Idaho News - June 12th, 2020
- Band-Aid will make black and brown flesh-toned bandages to 'embrace the beauty of diverse skin' - SCNow - June 12th, 2020
- The Final Features From 10 Iconic Horror Directors, Ranked According To IMDb - Screen Rant - June 11th, 2020
- Live Protest Updates: Protesters Drop Red Paint On Streets During March From East Harlem To Wall Street - Gothamist - June 11th, 2020
- W&M community stands together amid 'sorrow and awakening' at virtual vigil - William & Mary News - June 11th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Times Union - June 11th, 2020
- Dracula Reboot To Be More Faithful To Original Novel Than Past Adaptations - Screen Rant - June 10th, 2020
- Court news June 9 - The Republic - June 10th, 2020
- Protesters tear down Christopher Columbus statue in Richmond, then throw it in a lake - WTHR - June 10th, 2020
- When the region opens for film shoots, filmmakers will be there - Chron.com - June 10th, 2020
- Facts about Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh - Tatler - June 10th, 2020
- It happened today - this day in history - June 7 - Yellow Advertiser - June 7th, 2020
- Fann Wong still haunted by media report that she would have been 'submerged in a pig's cage' - AsiaOne - June 6th, 2020
- Police: Residents threatened with gun, turned into pursuit - KKTV 11 News - June 6th, 2020
- Whats on TV This Week: Martial arts star Bruce Lee on ESPN - Los Angeles Times - June 6th, 2020
- 10 Great Train Movies That Aren't Snowpiercer | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - June 6th, 2020
- Josh Gad Reunites 'Lord of the Rings' Cast Nearly 20 Years Later - TheWrap - June 4th, 2020
- Deluxe Corporation (DLX): Skating on Thin Ice? Beta Stands at 1.49 - The News Heater - June 4th, 2020
- Alliance High School's Class of 2020 - News - The Review - The-review - June 4th, 2020
- Property Transactions: June 3 | Business - news-herald.net - June 3rd, 2020
- Grand Forks School Board candidates offer perspectives on budget pressures, neighborhood schools - Grand Forks Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Liberty High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- West Branch High School Class of 2020 - The-review - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Riverside High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the Easley High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
- Celebrating the D.W. Daniel High School class of 2020 - Greenville News - June 3rd, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero