For many, British actor Sir Christopher Lee seemed like one of those ageless people who might go on forever, a person who might actually be as immortal as the infamous vampire whom he portrayed so many times on the big screen. On June 7th, 2015, however, Leesbody finally failed what seems like an unstoppable spirit, and one of the most interesting men of this era died.
The news of Lees death only became public on June 11th, 2015, and nerds all over the globe lamented his passing and remembered him with revered fondness . . . a man both charming and intimidating at once. Yesterday, active members of The Pandora Society Facebook Group, were polled with regards to their favorite on screen roles of Sir Christopher Lee, and here are the results . . .
In 1999sThe Phantom Menace,the new villainy of theStar Warsuniverse was the stoic Darth Maul and the mysterious Darth Sidious, but in 2002 Darth Tyranus, aka Count Dooku, gave a new face to the dark side of the force, and a soothing seductive voice to go with it. Dooku is a former Jedi, described as a political idealist, it is revealed that Qui Gon Ginn (Liam Neeson) was Dookus padawan, and that Yoda was Dookus master, but little exposition is given as to why he left the Order.
Dooku emerges inAttack of the Clones as the open leader of the newly formed Separatist Planets who wish to secede from the Republic; he is in essence the Jefferson Davis ofStar Wars.In secret, however, Dooku is the latest apprentice of the evil Darth Sidious whois plotting the internal downfall of the Jedis and the Republic. InRevenge of the Sith, Dooku only has a shortappearance, leading up to his betrayal by Sidious, but inThe Clones Warsanimations and TV series Dooku (voiced by Lee) gets far more screen time and character development than both of the live action films combined.
The Last Unicorn,adapted from the book by Peter S. Beagleof the same title,seems to reside in a similar nerd space asThe Princess Bride (1987) for being a fantasy sword and sorcery tale that is more popular with female audiences than male. Released in 1982, there is something distinctly 70s in the films production, the style, the soundtrack, and that post-hippie movement vibe.
Christopher Leevoices King Haggard, the ruler of a dreary kingdom who has never been happy, save for when he looks at unicorns. Beagle described Lee as the last of the great 20th Century actors, and either the most-literate or second-most literate performer Ive ever met.When Lee came in to work, he brought his own copy of the novel wherein he took note of lines that he believed should not be omitted.Lee, who wasfluent in German, also voiced King Haggard in the German dub of the film.
NOT to be mistaken with the 2006 remake withNicolas Cage,The Wicker Man is a strange thriller in which police sergeant Neil Howie(Edward Woodwood) is sent to Summerisle, a Scottish island village, in search of a missing girl whom the townsfolk claim never existed. Stranger still are the rites that take place there.
Christopher Lee plays theleader of the village, the eccentric and charming Lord Summerisle, third generation Laird or owner of the island. Descended from his grandfather who came to the isle full of mid-Victorian zeal as he put it, Lord Summerisle has maintained and encouraged the pagan beliefs instilled in the islands population by his father and grandfather. The islands seemingly unnatural ability to sustain tropical plant species, abundant crop yields, and fruitful orchards is attributed by all to their worship of the old gods.As the plot progresses and the investigation unfolds, the conflict betweenSummerisle andHowie becomes a showdown between Paganism and Christianity.
Despite Lees 70 year acting career and numerable roles, the role of Dracula is the most prominent part of his legacy. Between 1957 and 1976, Lee was a regular troupe member of the Hammer Horror Studiothat created numerous horror films in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. His first appearance asCount Dracula was in 1958 withDracula,and for the following 15 years he played the infamous vampire in seven sequels:The Brides of Dracula (1960),Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966),Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968),Taste the Blood of Dracula (May 7, 1970),Scars of Dracula (November 8, 1970),Dracula AD 1972 (1972), andThe Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973).
Lees Dracula is the third step in the characters onscreen evolution. The first incarnation of Dracula was Max Schreck inNosteratu(1922) as Count Orlok, a very sub-creature being, and then in 1931 came Bela Lugosi inDracula who added sophisticationand seductive charm to the role, but still had that foreigner non-Anglo look which signaled to a 1930s audience racial inferiority. Standing at almost six and a half feet and with chiseled facial features, Lee brought an entirely new level of powerfulness to the role, and for three decades he dominated the standard against which all over Dracula performances would be measured.
After his tenure as Dracula, Christopher Lee was constantly busy with numerable films and TV shows per year, but in 2001 Lee seem to undergo a renaissance in the public eye with his role as the wizard Saruman inThe Fellowship of the Ring.
Sarumanis leader of the Istari, wizards sent to Middle-earth in human form by the godlike Valar to challenge Sauron, the main antagonist of the novel, but eventually he desires Saurons power for himself and tries to take over Middle-earth by force. His schemes feature prominently in the second volume, The Two Towers, and at the end of the third volume, The Return of the King. His earlier history is given briefly in the posthumously published The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.
From the set ofThe Return of the King, comes the now legendary tale of Christopher Lees being an utter bad ass! Director Peter Jackson was blocking a scene in which Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) stabs Saruman in the back. After Jacksons long explanation about how he wanted Lee to react, Lee calmly asked, Have you any idea what kind of noise happens when somebodys stabbed in the back? and then stated, Because I do. Honoring his oaths of military secrecy from World War II, Lee never spoke in detail about his work as a British secret agent, but the myth is that he was actually the real life inspiration for Ian Flemings super spy James Bond.
In a career that lasted 70 years, there were clearly far more than five films suggested by the active members of the Pandora Society. Runners up in the poll includedThe Man with the Golden Gun (1974) as Scaramanga, an adversary with more panache than Bond,Alice in Wonderland(2010) as the voice of the Jabberwocky,To the Devil a Daughter (1974) his last film with Hammer Horror, andThe Color of Magic(2008) in which he was the voice of Death . . . a role that he embraced on June 7th, 2015.
Even though we all realistically knew that Sir Christopher Lee was a mere mortal like the rest of us, he exuded such a larger than life presence, but without any sense of inflated ego or arrogance, that he did seem like he would never leave us. Lee was from a rare breed of manwho possess skill, vitality, and commands respect while behaving like a perfect gentlemen to all whom he meets. On the screen he was the most charming and scary villain whom we all feared and loved at the same time . . . to badly quote Shakespeare . . .Goodnight sweet Prince [of Darkness].
Read the original here:
The Pandora Society Sir Christopher Lees Top Five Movie Roles.
- Celebrating Star Wars: 'Attack of the Clones' Deserved Better - Full Circle Cinema - December 9th, 2019
- More things to do in Austin on Wednesday, Dec. 11 - austin360 - December 9th, 2019
- Five of the best places to get beards trimmed are in Newport, Pontypool, Newbridge and Brynmawr - South Wales Argus - December 9th, 2019
- Kathleen Kennedy Will Receive a BAFTA Fellowship - Broadway World - December 7th, 2019
- Things to do in Austin on Tuesday, Dec. 10 - austin360 - December 7th, 2019
- 10 Amazing Action Movies That Didn't Use CGI | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - December 7th, 2019
- NEW 'PLANET OF THE APES' MOVIE COMING - HorrorCultFilms - December 7th, 2019
- Researchers Develop Kidney Stone Treatment Thats Faster And Less Painful - Medical Daily - December 7th, 2019
- Two men accused of harassing Muslim family on I-85 charged - 11Alive.com WXIA - December 6th, 2019
- The Impact of Telemedicine and Access to Leukemia Experts: Insights on Patient Behaviors to be Presented at the American Society of Hematology 61st... - December 6th, 2019
- Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones: 5 Best & 5 Worst Things - Screen Rant - December 6th, 2019
- Paul McCartney and Wings 'Band On The Run' Cover Had Famous Faces, Released on This Day in 1973 - californiarocker.com - December 6th, 2019
- IN COURT: Full names of 134 people in Ipswich court today - Queensland Times - December 6th, 2019
- Son speaks out about his missing 77-year old mother - NEWS10 ABC - December 6th, 2019
- On the Record | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - December 6th, 2019
- Nashoba announces first quarter honor roll - The Item - Worcester Telegram - December 6th, 2019
- HIGHLAND MIDDLE SCHOOL - Lifestyle - The Times - The Times - December 4th, 2019
- Star Wars rewind: Attack of the Clones - UNF Spinnaker - December 4th, 2019
- An end to the pain of kidney stones? New drug combination allows the stones to pass smoothly - Herald Publicist - December 4th, 2019
- The One Knives Out Actor Jamie Lee Curtis Never Thought She'd Be Able To Work With - CinemaBlend - December 4th, 2019
- Getaway Driver Sentenced To 15 Years To Life In Death Of Lodi Doctor Thomas Shock - CBS Sacramento - December 4th, 2019
- Bottega Veneta Wins Big At The Fashion Awards 2019 - British Vogue - December 4th, 2019
- 'THE INVISIBLE WOMAN' REMAKE COMING, DIRECTED BY AND STARRING ELIZABETH BANKS - HorrorCultFilms - December 4th, 2019
- New treatment could ease the passage of kidney stones - MIT News - December 2nd, 2019
- Republic sports roundup - The Republic - December 2nd, 2019
- Several Deadly Thanksgiving Weekend Shootings in Amarillo - mix941kmxj.com - December 2nd, 2019
- Suspect in homicide investigation found in Lebanon - KOLR - OzarksFirst.com - December 2nd, 2019
- Movie Review: The Irishman - TimminsToday - December 2nd, 2019
- Gideons Way, The Human Jungle and She - Elstree classics from 1964 - Harrow Times - December 2nd, 2019
- Grieving mom wants son's belongings three years after his death of 'agitated delirium' - News-Press - December 2nd, 2019
- Legendary dame Christopher Biggins reveals the best pantos on offer this Christmas - The Sun - December 2nd, 2019
- Conard and Hall Announce First Quarter Honor Roll - http://www.we-ha.com - December 1st, 2019
- Notes From the Ian McKellen Live Show in London - /FILM - November 29th, 2019
- North swimmers fall to Franklin - The Republic - November 29th, 2019
- AND THE LATEST REMAKE IS......'THE FUGITIVE' - HorrorCultFilms - November 29th, 2019
- 'The Irishman' and the Worst Movies By Scorsese, Spielberg and Other Great Directors - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 29th, 2019
- Star Wars: John Boyega takes responsibility for the lost script Rise of Skywalker that surfaced on eBay - The Media Hq - November 29th, 2019
- 'Knives Out' Cast: A Guide to All the Characters and Suspects in the Movie - Newsweek - November 29th, 2019
- COURT: See who is facing court in Rockhampton and Yeppoon today - Morning Bulletin - November 29th, 2019
- Jack Reacher Author Says Tom Cruise Is Too Old For Action Movies: 'He Needs To Move On' - CinemaBlend - November 29th, 2019
- Water Wonders / Boys swimmers set to hit the pool for competition - The Republic - November 26th, 2019
- Study finds people exposed to violence end up isolated and lonely, with chronic health problems - Beckley Register-Herald - November 26th, 2019
- For the record - 11/25 | Free - Paris News - November 26th, 2019
- Hollywood Vampires announce London O2 Arena show on UK tour - how to get tickets - MyLondon - November 26th, 2019
- Don Johnson Loved Hurling Insults at His Knives Out Co-stars - Vulture - November 26th, 2019
- TIL that Christopher Lee was once driving through Italy with ... - November 25th, 2019
- Mingtiandi to Lead China Investment Panel at MIPIM Asia This Week - Mingtiandi - November 24th, 2019
- 20 years later, remembering the tragic Texas A&M bonfire collapse - Valley Town Crier - November 24th, 2019
- Review: Twists upon twists in Knives Out will keep you guessing til the end - Ars Technica - November 24th, 2019
- Properties recently bought, sold in the Capital Region - Albany Times Union - November 24th, 2019
- 20 years after a Texas A&M bonfire collapsed and killed 12, Texans still mourn - USA TODAY - November 23rd, 2019
- Give up the road: Alcoa to abandon a portion of street for Clayton Academy use - Maryville Daily Times - November 23rd, 2019
- Camp Named Lee Department Alum Of The Year - The Chattanoogan - November 23rd, 2019
- Christopher Plummer Says He Immediately Loved the 'Irreverent Darkness' in Knives Out - Parade - November 23rd, 2019
- Will Netflixs Dracula Make the Vampire Scary Again? - Fortress of Solitude - November 22nd, 2019
- The Best: 10 Heroes and Villains Whose Power is Being The World's Greatest - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 22nd, 2019
- An oral history of the 1999 Aggie Bonfire tragedy at Texas A&M that left 12 dead - Winston-Salem Journal - November 22nd, 2019
- IN COURT: Full names of 167 people in Ipswich court today - Queensland Times - November 20th, 2019
- Fann Wong: Having fun acting for 25 years, Entertainment News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - November 19th, 2019
- Looking back on 25 years in TV, actress Fann Wong describes work as more like 'having fun' in playground - The Straits Times - November 19th, 2019
- Licence to chill at luxury lair of Bond villain - The Scotsman - November 19th, 2019
- LATEST TRAILERS: 'KILLER THERAPY', WITH 'FRIDAY THE 13TH', 'HALLOWEEN' AND 'RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD' ALUMNI - HorrorCultFilms - November 19th, 2019
- Police: Man with warrant took photos of items he had just stolen outside Brockton store - Wicked Local Brockton - November 19th, 2019
- An oral history of the 1999 Aggie Bonfire tragedy at Texas A&M that left 12 dead - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 19th, 2019
- An oral history of the 1999 Aggie Bonfire tragedy at Texas A&M that left 12 dead - Omaha World-Herald - November 18th, 2019
- Cassidy Erin Gifford & Ben Wierda: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com - November 18th, 2019
- Survivorship Clinic Helps Patients With What Comes After Head and Neck Cancer - UPJ Athletics - November 18th, 2019
- Abby Lee Miller Just Shared an Instagram Of Herself Standing In A Pool After A Year In A Wheelchair - Women's Health - November 18th, 2019
- Harry Styles Wore the Most Sexual Shirt on SNL - The Cut - November 18th, 2019
- Celebrating 20 Years of Tim Burtons SLEEPY HOLLOW - Nerdist - November 18th, 2019
- Second suspect charged in October home invasion in Aiken - Aiken Standard - November 17th, 2019
- iAmLife Grows Partnerships with Ally Global Services and Influencer David Christopher Lee - PRNewswire - November 17th, 2019
- Local News: Man charged after threats to father (11/15/19) - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - November 17th, 2019
- Review: A little conflict is the push they need in this week's releases (Includes first-hand account) - Digital Journal - November 17th, 2019
- The Guardian ranked the best severed hands in film history, but we all know who tops the list - The A.V. Club - November 17th, 2019
- James Bond: The 10 Dumbest Super Villain Plots Ever Conceived - Screen Rant - November 17th, 2019
- Christopher Evan Lee, MD - 36 Reviews - Gastroenterologist ... - October 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Movies List: Best to Worst - Ranker - October 4th, 2019
- Christopher Lee Price execution: Alabama executes man for ... - May 31st, 2019
- Death penalty: Alabama set to execute Christopher Lee ... - May 31st, 2019
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero