(NEXSTAR) On Wednesday, the U.S. Capitol saw an unprecedented display of violence like none in its 220-year history.
A roiling mob forced its way past the Capitols marble columns, disrupted the passage of power and desecrated the seat of the worlds greatest democracy.
But it was far from the first time the Capitol has been scarred by violence.
In 1814, just 14 years after the building opened, British forces in the War of 1812 tried to burn it down.
Over the centuries since, the 540-room building has been bombed several times. There have been shootings. One legislator almost killed another.
Here is a look at the Capitols violent past.
On Jan. 30, 1835, British immigrant Richard Lawrencetried to assassinatePresident Andrew Jackson as he was leaving a congressional funeral at the U.S. Capitol. Lawrences attempt failed twice once because of a pistol malfunction and again when he missed his target. It was the first known assassination attempt on a U.S. president.
In 1856, South Carolina Rep. Preston Brooksbrutally beatMassachusetts Sen. Charles Sumner with a cane in the Senate Chamber for delivering a speech against slavery. Sumner eventually recovered and Brooks resigned.
On the Fourth of July in 1915, former Harvard University professor Erich Muenterignited three sticks of dynamitein the Senate Reception Room, later explaining his anger over American financiers helping the UK in World War I despite U.S. neutrality at the time. There were no injuries.
On March 1, 1954, five members of the House of Representatives two Republicans and three Democrats were shot on the House floor. One of them Alvin Bentley, R-Mich. was critically wounded. Four Puerto Rican nationalists who were part of an organization demanding independence from the U.S. were arrested and ultimately imprisoned. As they fired, the shooters were heard shouting, Freedom forPuerto Rico. The incident prompted a change in Capitol security measures.
In the early hours of March 1, 1971, The antiwar Weather Underground planted a bomb on the Senate side of the Capitol, resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage,but no casualties.
On July 24, 1998, gunman Russell Eugene Weston Jr., fired shots into the Capitol building, killing U.S. Capitol Police officers Jacob Chestnut and John Gibson. Angela Dickerson, who was visiting the Capitol, was injured during the attack.
On Nov. 7, 1983, a group calling itself the Armed Resistance Unit set off a bomb outside the Senate Chamber to protest the militarys actions in Grenada and Lebanon. There were no casualties, but seven peoplewere charged.
On the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, after terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, a fourth hijacked airliner was headed toward the U.S. Capitol, as later confirmed by the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks. Passengers on Flight 93 rushed the hijackers in the cockpit and the aircraft crashed in the Pennsylvania countryside, preventing it from reaching its intended target.
On Jan. 14, 2015,20-year-old Christopher Lee Cornellwas arrested before he could carry out a planned attack on the U.S. Capitol during the State of the Union address.According to a criminal complaint filed by an FBI agent, pipe bombs were to go off, causing lawmakers and employees to flee. Cornell and an accomplice then planned to gun them down as they ran.Cornell later pleaded guilty to three federal charges and was sentenced to 30 years in prison.
In October 2013, Miriam Carey, an unarmed 34-year-old from Connecticut, was fatally shot by law enforcement on U.S. Capitol grounds after she attempted to breach a White House checkpoint. Carey, who had a 1-year-old child in the backseat, led police ona 12-block chase through the city and was shotfive times from behind.
On March 28, 2016, Larry Russell Dawson, 67, of Tennessee, was shot by U.S. Capitol Policeafter he pointed a BB gun at police officersat the Capitol Visitor Center.Dawson later pleaded guilty to a federal charge of assaulting, impeding or resisting officers while using a dangerous or deadly weapon and was sentenced to 11 months in prison.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Level Access, G3ict and IAAP launches 2021 State of Digital Accessibility Survey to benchmark worldwide efforts to create inclusive technology - PR... - January 24th, 2021
- Boris Karloff Doc 'Man Behind The Monster' In The Works at Voltage - TheNewsTrace - January 22nd, 2021
- Feinberg Forecast: The Lay of the Land a Week Before Oscar Shortlist Voting - Hollywood Reporter - January 22nd, 2021
- Can you recognize these toonified Singaporeans? - Coconuts Singapore - January 22nd, 2021
- What The Cast Of Hugo Is Doing Today - Looper - January 22nd, 2021
- Police arrest person of interest after finding 2 bodies in Adrian - WTOL - January 20th, 2021
- Star Wars: It's Time to Admit Attack of the Clones Is Underrated - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 20th, 2021
- Lee postpones meeting to decide Rest of River cleanup stance - Berkshire Eagle - January 20th, 2021
- Kate and William devastated after Prince George barred from wearing the crown - Geo News - January 20th, 2021
- The Republican Party Has Distanced Itself From The Capitol Riot. But Local GOP Officials Fueled Supporters' Rage Ahead of Jan. 6 - Yahoo News - January 20th, 2021
- 10 Iconic Movies That Turn 20 This Year | TheThings - TheThings - January 20th, 2021
- PM Forming Expert Advisory Group On Covid-19 Response - CodeBlue - January 20th, 2021
- Virtual Aquatics / North swimmers will compete in unique conference format; East girls set for HHC - The Republic - January 15th, 2021
- 8 photographs of late rappers that will remain special to the culture - Kulture Hub - January 15th, 2021
- David Lynch And 9 Other Celebrated Filmmakers Who Have Moved To Netflix - Screen Rant - January 15th, 2021
- Site Of The Bronx's "Big Pun Plaza" Revealed - AllHipHop - January 12th, 2021
- We Can Make America Anew Only If We're Honest About the Depth of the Ugliness and Hate Today - Yahoo News - January 12th, 2021
- Retro-Cast: If Lord Of The Rings Was Made In The 1980s - Screen Rant - January 12th, 2021
- The top 10 best movies of 2020 - The Depaulia - January 12th, 2021
- Recasting The Lord Of The Rings Movies In 2021 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - January 12th, 2021
- These are the 10 best movie-villain cars of all time - Driving - January 9th, 2021
- The Breach of the Capitol Spooked Us As It Should Have - Yahoo News - January 9th, 2021
- Tim Burton's 10 Best Movies, Ranked According To IMDb | TheThings - TheThings - January 9th, 2021
- Christopher Lee missed son's first day of school, but was sure wife Fann Wong could handle it solo - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- JRR Tolkiens Lord of the Rings': 15 Facts About Fellowship of the Ring (Photos) - Yahoo Entertainment - January 5th, 2021
- 13 Unexpected Musicians Who Have Released Christmas Music - TooFab - January 5th, 2021
- Feinberg Forecast: Scott's First 2021 Read of the Oscars Race - Hollywood Reporter - January 5th, 2021
- Dad who shot at teens trying to buy controlled substance from son charged for shooting into vehicle - WNCT - January 5th, 2021
- Tom Reimanns Top Ten Movies of 2020 - Collider.com - December 28th, 2020
- 26 Poignant Details You Missed In Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - FandomWire - December 26th, 2020
- Hanging by a Thread / COVID-19 has put winter sports season on thin ice - The Republic - December 26th, 2020
- Lawrence Of Arabia & 9 Other Great British Movies | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - December 26th, 2020
- 53-year-old man charged in connection with the deaths of Lodi grandparents - Stockton Record - December 25th, 2020
- North boys swim past Bloomington South; Panther girls top Bull Frogs - The Republic - December 25th, 2020
- Where to Find the Best Free Audiobooks - Cosmopolitan - December 22nd, 2020
- Real Estate Pay In 2020 And Beyond: Salaries Up, Bonuses Down And Don't Try To Hire On The Cheap - Bisnow - December 22nd, 2020
- Damon Lee Wilson | Obituaries | sanfordherald.com - The Sanford Herald - December 22nd, 2020
- Art House Meets Grindhouse in Reece's Climate of the Hunter - Critical Blast - December 19th, 2020
- 'Delving into the future and a possible authoritarian world' - In Your Area - December 19th, 2020
- Behind the scenes of the Southwest Journal - Southwest Journal - December 19th, 2020
- Lord Of The Rings: 5 Ways Gandalf Is The Best Wizard (& 5 Ways Its Saruman) - Screen Rant - December 18th, 2020
- Dracula 2000 captured the spirit of Y2K better than any other movie - SYFY WIRE - December 18th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 175 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - December 16th, 2020
- The 24 Best James Bond Movies Ranked in Order and Future - Gizmo Story - December 16th, 2020
- John le Carr (1931-2020): The former agent who leaves us a literary legacy of spies - Scroll.in - December 16th, 2020
- How Remote Learning Is Strengthening The Community At The School Of Visual Arts - Cartoon Brew - December 16th, 2020
- On the record December 9 - Seymour Tribune - December 11th, 2020
- AppHarvest Hires CBRE's Christopher Scott to oversee construction and commissioning of new indoor farms - GlobeNewswire - December 11th, 2020
- District Court criminal sittings at Brisbane today - Queensland Times - December 8th, 2020
- Mank is a reasonably engaging tribute to a neglected writer - The New Indian Express - December 7th, 2020
- Police roundup: Arrest made in West Huntington armed robbery - Huntington Herald Dispatch - December 5th, 2020
- 28 people indicted in Butler and Warren Counties - Hamilton Journal News - December 5th, 2020
- James Bond Revisited The Man with the Golden Gun - JoBlo.com - December 5th, 2020
- Gift Guide 2020: Best of Blu-ray and 4K UHD movies - Washington Times - December 5th, 2020
- The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond Revisited) - JoBlo.com - December 3rd, 2020
- X-Men: 5 Roles That Were Perfectly Cast (& 5 Actors Who Almost Played Them) - Screen Rant - December 3rd, 2020
- Persons living with HIV lament impact of COVID-19 on access to care - Guardian - December 3rd, 2020
- LEE REPORT: Rebels ride into playoffs on 5-game win streak - Midland Reporter-Telegram - December 3rd, 2020
- Peacock is Adding 12 James Bond Films This Week - Cord Cutters News - December 1st, 2020
- Bad to the bone: why actors find it so hard to leave their darkest roles behind - The Guardian - December 1st, 2020
- Texas 6 will reach out and grab you hard - The Flash Today - December 1st, 2020
- 10 Famous Directors Who Cast The Same Actors Over & Over Again - Screen Rant - December 1st, 2020
- East Lyme High School Quarter 1 Honor Roll - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - December 1st, 2020
- New York Theater Guide News - New York Theatre Guide - December 1st, 2020
- Lord Of The Rings: 10 Actors Who Could Have Easily Played Gandalf Besides Ian McKellan - Screen Rant - November 30th, 2020
- County Bookings and Arrests | News, Sports, Jobs - Tama-Toledo News Chronicle - Tama News-Herald - Toledo Chronicle - November 30th, 2020
- Films which you need to watch to update with the upcoming Star Wars 2021 film - The TeCake - November 30th, 2020
- How literary characters changed over time in cinema (PHOTOS) - The Saxon - November 24th, 2020
- Land transactions for the week of Nov. 22, 2020 - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - November 24th, 2020
- IN COURT: Full names of 123 people appearing in court today - Queensland Times - November 24th, 2020
- Horse Girl canon: The horse movies, books & toys that give a meme meaning - Report Door - November 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Best Bond Villain Showdowns - Film Threat - November 22nd, 2020
- The 40 Best Action Movies on HBO Max - Vulture - November 22nd, 2020
- In The Water / North, East return top boys swimmers; Olympians have new coach - The Republic - November 20th, 2020
- Johnny Altman releases 'Never Too Late To Rock And Roll' via Nub Music - Music News - November 20th, 2020
- Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN Available on Blu-ray From Warner Archive December 1st - We Are Movie Geeks - November 18th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: The 5 Tallest (& 5 Shortest) Actors In The Cast - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2020
- IN CONVERSATION - Johnny Altman | God Is In The TV - God Is In The TV - November 18th, 2020
- Star Wars: Why Obi-Wan Didn't Kill Anakin In Revenge of the Sith - Screen Rant - November 18th, 2020
- Obituary: Christopher Nugent Severino, 40, Of West Haven - Patch.com - November 18th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero