If you want a feast for the eyes and a heartbreaking storyline intertwined with an epic adventure, ask Francis Ford Coppola. A director with an eye for detail and a passion for literary adaptation, Coppola has given us films likeThe Godfather, Apocolypse NowandBram Stoker's Dracula (1992).
RELATED:Dracula Meets Dracula: Gary Oldman & Luke Evans Unite For Vampire Actor Photo
The latter is one of the best known, winning three of the four Oscars for which it was nominated and featuring a stellar performance from Gary Oldman as the title character. The sets, costumes and special effects recalled a much earlier time with their rich details, most of which you probably didn't even see because you were so interested in the story. Here are eight things you didn't notice about Bram Stokers Dracula.
This is an interesting feature of the film once you take note of it, but you probably didn't initially. Few strong colors are used in the film, with a few exceptions. Most of the colors are from a basic black, white and primary color palette with nary an orange or purple in sight, although green makes a few interesting appearances.
Red is reserved almost exclusively for Dracula with a few deliberate exceptions. Each color is strongly symbolic and has unmistakable connotations the viewers will recognize. Red is the most obvious, as the color of blood and lust, as white is for brides everywhere, even Dracula's.
You can still watch this movie and not really notice that all the effects are practical, even antiquated. Coppola was adamant that only vintage effects techniques could be used in the film, and that included editing and sound.
RELATED:12 Best Movie Remakes of All Time
He was so determined that he fired the whole special effects team when they told him it couldn't be done and hired his son instead. The result is that in the final cut of the movie, only the blue flames that seem to protect the road leading to Dracula's castle are CGI. Of all the criticism the movie received, nobody complained about the old-school special effects.
The scene that included Dracula and his brides torturing Jonathan Harker in the castle was chilling enough, so maybe you just assumed the language the women were speaking with Dracula was fictional or an exotic dialect of a modern language.
It'sRomanian, which isn't as widely spoken as other Romance languages like Spanish, so it was an easy thing to miss. It's even accurate to the time period, thanks to some research done by the actresses themselves. Beyond that, did you notice that this isn't the same language spoken at the beginning of the movie, which is supposed to take place in the same castle centuries ago? That was actually modern Romanian using medieval English syntax.
You don't have to be familiar with the book to understand everything that's happening inBram Stoker's Dracula,but you might miss some interesting tidbits. If you do know the book, then you can appreciate how often the original text is integrated into the script and storyline.
Virtually all of the diary entries could have been read right off the page, including much of Jonathan's harrowing ordeal escaping the castle and the last days of theDemeter, the unfortunate ship that was carrying Dracula's crates of unholy soil. The letters are also right from the book. Bram Stoker was one of the first people to use the "found footage" technique to tell a literary story, an idea way ahead of its time.
You weren't supposed to notice this, but you might have suspected something like it was going on. During the scenes in which Lucy is writhing in what seems like an erotic nightmare, she can hear a voice that we can't. He's not on a mike, but Gary Oldman, the actor who plays Dracula, is sitting nearby.
RELATED:The 5 Best (and 5 Worst) Dracula Performances
Coppola asked him to speak to Sadie Frost, the actor who plays Lucy, in a seductive way while they were filming. Apparently he said some stuff that Frost doesn't dare repeat.
This is a weird moment of pathos that flashes across the screen for literally a second, so if you were looking at your watch or reaching deep into the popcorn bucket, you could have missed it. The last scene we see in Lucy's tomb is an intense one. Arthur is hammering a stake into her heart as Van Helsing chops off her head. Even Quincy is having trouble with it. Dracula screams in rage.
Then we get a sudden cut to van Helsing vigorously cutting through a roast as he is sitting at dinner with Mina and Jonathan. Mina asks how Lucy died, and just before Van Helsing briefly and bluntly describes her death, we get a single last shot of the tomb, with Lucy's head sitting on the stone coffin with the four men nearby, heads bowed. In case you wondered what everyone was nervously laughing at, that's what it was.
Winona Ryder is never going to let anyone forget this, and we can't say that we blame her. Well, you didn't see this because you assume that what you see in a movie isn't really happening. Those aren't real vampires, bustles were actually out of style in 1897, and that isn't a real wedding.
Or is it? In one of the very few sets in the film that's not a sound stage, the wedding scene in the movie was a re-shoot that was done in a real Greek Orthodox Church, with a certified and totally authentic Greek Orthodox minister. Sorry ladies, it looks like Keanu was taken the whole time.
This wasn't just done because Coppola wanted to give the film an authentic vintage look, although that was a convenient excuse. Coppola fans were used to epic, on-location sets, like the ones they had seen in Apocolypse Now.However, movies like this had given him a bad name.
Local authorities often refused to let him shoot in many locations after the piping hot mess that was the set of Apocolypse Now. Movies likeTropic Thunderlampoon this story, which is legendary in cinema history. The result is the real reason Coppola opted to used sound stages for virtually every scene - he didn't have a choice.
NEXT:15 Things You Didn't Know About The Universal Monster Movies
Next10 Shows to Watch If You Like Avatar: The Last Airbender
Kristy Ambrose has been writing professionally since 2010. She dabbles in various genres, including everything from short blog posts to serialized novels. Her inspiration comes from gamers, beachcombers, foodies and of course her fellow travelers. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English literature from the University of Victoria.
Read the original:
8 Things Youve Never Noticed From Bram Stokers Dracula
- When Cambridge United won the first Wembley play-offs final 30 years ago - The Guardian - May 26th, 2020
- Kim Hyang Gi In Talks To Star In Upcoming JTBC Drama - soompi - May 26th, 2020
- How Are We Coping With Self Isolation: Insight From Around the Country And The World With Anthony Salvador Lewis - Times Square Chronicles - May 26th, 2020
- D&D Moral Alignments Of The Castlevania Main Characters - Screen Rant - May 25th, 2020
- Listen to Laura Benanti, Alex Brightman, John Stamos & More in the Final Episode of DRACULA, A COMEDY OF TERRORS - Broadway World - May 24th, 2020
- Six lockdown reads which have Essex connections that may surprise you - Echo - May 24th, 2020
- There's A Load Of Quality Movies Coming To Netflix This June - Balls.ie - May 24th, 2020
- CINEMA RETRO EXCLUSIVE! A CONVERSATION WITH THE "DRIVE-IN DRACULA", ZANDOR VORKOV - Cinema Retro - May 24th, 2020
- Can online shows help save the theater industry? - CNN - May 24th, 2020
- Its World Goth Day, and people are sharing amazing photos - The Daily Dot - May 24th, 2020
- Hotel Transylvania 4 Release Date, Who Is In Cast? Plot, Trailer And How Is The Production Going On? - Pop Culture Times - May 24th, 2020
- Minions Crossover with Universal Monsters for New Funko Pops - Bleeding Cool News - May 21st, 2020
- Hotel Transylvania 4 Release Date, Cast, Plot, Trailer And How Is The Production Going On? - Pop Culture Times - May 21st, 2020
- Dracula Season 2: Is The BBC And Netflix Series Renewed For Another Season? - NationEditions - May 19th, 2020
- Dracula vs. Frankenstein Producer Sam Sherman is Taking His Old School Drive-In Movies Back on the Road - Boxoffice Pro - May 19th, 2020
- 'Trumpet in the Land' opening season postponed - News - New Philadelphia Times Reporter - May 19th, 2020
- Checking In With Jessica Frances Dukes, Star of Ozark, By the Way, Meet Vera Stark, More - Playbill.com - May 19th, 2020
- Writing my thesis at the end of the world - The Stanford Daily - May 19th, 2020
- Reading used as filming locations for TV shows and films - Reading Chronicle - May 18th, 2020
- For video meetings the eyes have it. Use these tips to better present yourself online - USA TODAY - May 18th, 2020
- THEN AND NOW: The cast of the Star Wars prequels 15 years later - Business Insider - May 18th, 2020
- Castlevania Season 4 What Is The Plot Details? When Can We Expect Show On Netflix? - Auto Freak - May 17th, 2020
- Why Sugar Ray Leonard Is The Epitome Of Boxings Last Truly Great Era - The Sportsman - May 17th, 2020
- Community spotlight: When will this fear and confusion end? - The Edwardsville Intelligencer - May 17th, 2020
- Movie stars and famous artists add to the challenges - Play Crazy Game - May 17th, 2020
- The romance of Romania! Drone shots reveal the countrys stunning scenery - stopthefud - May 15th, 2020
- 5 literary themed breaks to take in Yorkshire - Yorkshire Life - May 15th, 2020
- For Your Ears Only: Broadways New Stage Is a Mic - The New York Times - May 12th, 2020
- Dracula Season 2: Is The BBC And Netflix Horror Series Renew For Another Season? Know Here - NationEditions - May 12th, 2020
- Monster Squad's Star Remembers Feeding The Mummy And Other Tales From Making The Cult Classic - Gizmodo Australia - May 12th, 2020
- How Batman Became a Vampire in the DC Multiverse | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 12th, 2020
- St. Johns student happy to be safe in Transylvania; sad to be away from new friends - SILive.com - May 12th, 2020
- Underworld: 2003 Horror Action, Feature Vampires And Lycans Mythology Explained! - The Tech Education - May 12th, 2020
- Elks Theatre to open Friday - Kotatv - May 8th, 2020
- Castlevania: 10 Differences Between The Show And The Video Games - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 8th, 2020
- Elks Theatre to open Friday - KEVN Black Hills Fox - May 8th, 2020
- NOS4A2 is Back to Be Weirdly Obsessed With Christmas Again in This New Teaser - Gizmodo UK - May 5th, 2020
- Which Are The Best TV Shows In Horror Genre Available Over Netflix? - Pop Culture Times - May 5th, 2020
- The 11 best vampire movies to stream on Amazon, YouTube, and more - The Daily Dot - May 4th, 2020
- Hotel Transylvania 4 Release Date, Cast, Plot, Trailer And Everything You Need to Know - Pop Culture Times - May 4th, 2020
- The premieres of Netflix for January 2020 - OI Canadian - May 4th, 2020
- Christoper Lee - The actor laughing all the way to the bank | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 3rd, 2020
- 'Invisible Woman': All the Surprising Facts We Know about the Next Universal Monsters Movie - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Horror Movies From The 1990s That Critics Hated (But Audiences Loved) - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- If life is a movie: We are in the scene just before the climax where James Bond will dishum down the villain - Economic Times - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Things Fans Forget About Marvels Dracula | CBR - May 2nd, 2020
- Dracula: Love Kills on Steam - May 2nd, 2020
- Meet the man whose musical tour of Yorkshire tells tales of Dracula, Captain Cook and Guy Fawkes - Yorkshire Post - May 2nd, 2020
- Dracula Season 2: What Is The Show All About Catch The Updates - NationEditions - May 2nd, 2020
- 'Dracula' killed during confrontation with police - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - May 2nd, 2020
- An International 'Outlook': The History, the Myth, and the Magic of Bran Castle - The Outlook - May 2nd, 2020
- Castlevania Season 4: Expected Cast Of The Show? Hidden Details - The Tech Education - May 2nd, 2020
- Wonkette's Weekly Top 10 Is Taking A Hike - Wonkette - May 2nd, 2020
- NOS4A2 Is Back To Be Weirdly Obsessed With Christmas Again In This New Teaser - Gizmodo Australia - May 2nd, 2020
- Penny Dreadful: City of Angels Has the Show's Most Terrifying Villain Yet - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 2nd, 2020
- Richard Jordan: We can learn from South Korea, where theatre has stayed open for business - The Stage - May 2nd, 2020
- Castlevania Season 4 Release Date, Cast, Plot, Trailer And Everything You Need To Know - News Lagoon - May 2nd, 2020
- Tough-as-hell roguelike I, Dracula: Genesis is ripping its way into Early Access on the 22nd May - Gamasutra - April 30th, 2020
- Will The Great Fan Following Bring Season 2 To Dracula: Get The Updates On Exp ... - Union Journalism - April 29th, 2020
- Sebastian Stan Shown Interest In Portraying Dracula In The Blumhouses Reboot - The Digital Wise - April 29th, 2020
- 10 things you should know about the Black Lagoon creature - NewsDio - April 29th, 2020
- Sebastian Stan Is Lobbying To Star In Blumhouses Dracula Movie Reboot - Screen Rant - April 28th, 2020
- Hotel Transylvania Will Going To Be Release Earlier Than Expected - NationEditions - April 28th, 2020
- Grady Hendrix on Bringing Dracula to the Southern 'Burbs - Bleeding Cool News - April 28th, 2020
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier Star Sebastian Stan Teases Possible Non-MCU Role - Epicstream - April 28th, 2020
- What If: The X-Men's Greatest Defeats Across the Multiverse | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - April 28th, 2020
- Was Dracula a real person? - HISTORY - April 26th, 2020
- Dracula Movie Review - Common Sense Media - April 26th, 2020
- Legend of Dracula | TYPE-MOON Wiki | Fandom - April 26th, 2020
- Dracula: Final episode of BBC adaptation torn apart over ... - April 26th, 2020
- GitHub - dracula/dracula-theme: Dark theme for all ... - April 26th, 2020
- Everything We Know About 'Castlevania' Season 4 So Far - Newsweek - April 26th, 2020
- Obituary: Andre Melly, actress who went from Hancock's Half-Hour and The Brides of Dracula to radio's Just a Minute - HeraldScotland - April 26th, 2020
- Wondering Of Dracula Season 2 Whereabouts? Heres All You Ought To Know! - Top Buzz Times - April 26th, 2020
- Musical Dracula with Kim Junsu reveals videos from musical for fans who can't go to theatre in the time of precautions against Covid-19. - allkpop - April 26th, 2020
- Stuck inside and bored? The BBC is putting loads more box sets on iPlayer - South Wales Argus - April 26th, 2020
- Hotel Transylvania 4 Release Date, Cast, Plot, Is Trailer Out? And How Is The Production Going On? - Pop Culture Times - April 26th, 2020
- Dracula Season 2 To Go Live Any Soon? What Road Of Blood Thirst Will S2 Witness? - Top Buzz Times - April 22nd, 2020
- Dracula vs. Frankenstein Drive-In Screenings to Save Us from Self-Isolation - Den of Geek US - April 22nd, 2020
- Secrets About Vlad The Impaler (The Real Dracula) That Only Romanians Know - TheTravel - April 22nd, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero