Today's Blu-ray review may not be available in time (the North American street date is November 10) for the spookiest time of the year, but if you're like me, you love all things creepy year round.
I know I keep saying it, but Shout Factory/Scream Factory continues to impress with their acquisition of older titles from Hammer's filmography. Then of course, the restorations the company does with these films are usually nothing but absolutely astonishing.
One of these forthcoming older titles isThe Brides of Dracula, released sixty years ago in 1960. The film was directed by Terence Fischer, arguably Hammer's best director. He helmed cornerstones of the production company's business, such as Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, The Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein Created Woman, Horror of Dracula, and The Devil Rides Out.
Some fans are fine withThe Brides of DraculaNOT starring Christopher Lee, Hammer's iconic Dracula, while others are hesitant to embrace this title. According to one of the disc's bonus featurettes, Lee was not included in this film because his agent asked for too much money. He did, however, appear in Dracula: Prince of Darkness, which was released in 1966.
Anyway, the film followsMarianne (Yvonne Monlaur), a young teacher on her way to the girls academy where she's about to start a new job. Along the way, she's sidetracked by a minion of the localBaroness Meinster (Martita Hunt) and Marianne's coach disappears with all her luggage, leaving her stranded.
The Baroness then invites Marianne to her castle to stay the night. While there, she glimpses a man (David Peel) on a balcony, seemingly about to jump to his death. She rushes to his room only to discover that he is chained by the ankle to the wall. Ever the good samaritan, she sneaks into the Baroness' room and somehow finds the correct key that unlocks the young Baron.
Well, nice job, you just unleashed a vampire! Although I'm not sure what kind of weak-sauce vampire can be be simply chained to a wall by one leg. There are other plot holes and omissions, elsewhere in the film, too. We learn in one of the bonus features that Fischer was not allowed to change a word of Jimmy Sangster's script. Though if you're not put off by that,The Brides of Draculacan still manage to entertain. In particular, this film would make a good "gateway" horror film for kids who are inclined to the darker side of storytelling.
A few local maidens end up undead as well, in campy, white-face-paint fashion and flowing white nightgowns. To aid in the mystery of the attacks, Dr. Van Helsing (the late, great Peter Cushing, one of Hammer's best actors and bankable stars) arrives and astonishes the villagers with his down-to-earth reason and rationale. You may have guessed that Van Helsing and the Baron face off in the finale. By the way, Cushing did many of his own stunts back in the day, and he's really impressive here when he battles the Baron.
I have to say that Peel as the Baron isn't great, but Freda Jackson in the Renfield-like role of Greta, the Baroness' assistant, was absolutely fantastic. She cackles like no one's business when plotting evil deeds and making nefarious plans. Watching the film for both her and Cushing alone is worth your tim.
As for the image, the film looks absolutely spotless with only a slight flicker in one scene that I detected. Shout Factory has presentedThe Brides of Draculain both1.85:1 And 1.66:1 aspect rations, but for the purpose of this review, I watched only the1.85:1 version.
The trailers Hammer made were always entertaining, so check those out if you pick up any of these releases. The Terence Fischer mini doc was lengthy and informative of his life and career, and the other featurettes served a similarly "fine" purpose.
I enjoyed Severin Films' featurette on the history of Oakley Court the most; it's a large stone manor that quite a few films have used as exteriors, includingThe Brides of Draculaand several other Hammer films. The most famous production to use this location is The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
If you'd like to pre-order The Brides of Dracula Blu-ray, you can do so at Shout Factory's website here.
Blu-ray Review: THE BRIDES OF DRACULA - ScreenAnarchy
- Doctor Who: The Master Inspired The Story Of Dracula - Screen Rant - November 22nd, 2020
- What We Do in the Shadows: After the Van Helsing Shout-Out, It's Time to Introduce Dracula - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 22nd, 2020
- The state of theatre amid Covid-19 panic - Tribal Tribune - November 22nd, 2020
- Weekly Briefing: You're Burned Out - The Chronicle of Higher Education - November 22nd, 2020
- The Morning Watch: The Vehicles of 'Westworld' Season 3, How Rats Are Trained for Movies & More - /FILM - November 22nd, 2020
- Lady Gaga Enters The World Of Castlevania With This Supernatural Makeover - ComicBook.com - November 22nd, 2020
- The Last Vermeer: Little-known war story is intriguing movie - Newnan Times-Herald - November 22nd, 2020
- Writers at IC create stories away from campus - Ithaca College The Ithacan - November 22nd, 2020
- This movie inspired Oliver Jackson-Cohen to be an actor - Nicki Swift - November 22nd, 2020
- Dolly Partons Christmas On The Square: One scene alone is worth the Netflix subscription - The Irish Times - November 22nd, 2020
- Romancelvania Brings Blood and Lust to Consoles and PC in 2022 - Siliconera - November 22nd, 2020
- Trump is gone, but his tune will play on - Wilkes-Barre Citizens Voice - November 12th, 2020
- Dwayne Johnson self-remakes and brings back The Scorpion King, spin-off of The Mummy - The Saxon - November 12th, 2020
- HOOKED ON BOOKS: Vampires rule in these parallel-world books - Park Rapids Enterprise - November 9th, 2020
- Blade Saved The Life of Doctor Dooms Mom | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - November 9th, 2020
- Dover's Strand Theater has last chance to avoid permanent closure - Seacoastonline.com - November 9th, 2020
- How regional cinema is taking the game away from Bollywood - Mint - November 9th, 2020
- 'Stop the count!' memes: The 23 funniest reactions to *that* Trump tweet - The Tab - November 6th, 2020
- Amy Schumer's 'Count Dracula' Post Is The Most Light Hearted Political Message - TheThings - November 6th, 2020
- Castlevania: Every Handheld Game Ranked, According to Critics - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 6th, 2020
- Avengers: Marvel Reveals Who the Team's Greatest Villain REALLY Is - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 6th, 2020
- How Marvels Monsters Changed The Face of Comic Book Heroes - Screen Rant - November 6th, 2020
- Things I Dont Want to See in My Rearview Mirror on Halloween - The New Yorker - November 6th, 2020
- The film ends where the power of imagination takes over - Telegraph India - November 6th, 2020
- Empathy in horror | Arts & Lifestyle - The Mass Media - November 3rd, 2020
- Ballet Theatre of Maryland's 'Dracula' is perfectly spooky - DC Metro Theater Arts - November 1st, 2020
- Dracula: 10 Pieces Of Fan Art That You'll Want To Sink Your Teeth Into - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 1st, 2020
- One of Dracula's Often Overlooked Inspirations Is the Indian Vetala - Atlas Obscura - October 31st, 2020
- Dublin, Dracula and the Stories of the Undead - Outlook India - October 31st, 2020
- What Do Jesus and Dracula Have in Common? - Patheos - October 31st, 2020
- Dracula Sir Movie Review: A complex tale of life, love and rebirth - Times of India - October 31st, 2020
- Theater company takes new direction with radio version of 'Dracula!' - Farmington Daily Times - October 30th, 2020
- Menlo School to livestream 'Dracula' over Halloween weekend - The Almanac Online - October 30th, 2020
- Dracula's castle parties, scary clowns and robot doors: Top 10 Halloween ads for a locked-down year - Netimperative - October 30th, 2020
- Kitchener's Heather Lehan dances on the big screen in 'Dracula' - TheRecord.com - October 30th, 2020
- Tiqets Offers Free Virtual Scare-a-thon Including Tours of Dracula's Castle - PR Web - October 30th, 2020
- Classic Tale of Horror Finds New Life in Theatre of Dare's DRACULA - The Outer Banks Voice - October 30th, 2020
- Dracula is Halloween royalty after all, he is a count and dresses the part - Ellwood City Ledger - October 28th, 2020
- Dracula, A Comedy of Terrors is Menlo School's offering on Halloween weekend - InMenlo - October 28th, 2020
- Beer Brand Will Take Over Draculas Transylvania Castle This Halloween - Adweek - October 28th, 2020
- Dracula: On the Air and Out for Blood The Review - University of Delaware Review - October 28th, 2020
- Edward Gorey's sets for the 1977 Broadway production of Dracula - Boing Boing - October 28th, 2020
- Top 6 Classic Universal Monster Movies the nicholls worth - Nicholls Worth - October 28th, 2020
- Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned Is One of the Worst Anime AND Marvel Movies - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 28th, 2020
- Dracula 2000 cast: Gerard Butler, Justine & others who starred in this Gothic drama - Republic World - October 28th, 2020
- Every Universal Classic Monster Movie From The '30s, Ranked (According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - October 28th, 2020
- Excavating the Mummy, the Most Maligned of Movie Monsters - The Escapist - October 23rd, 2020
- Guide to Halloween specials from DC area theatres - DC Theatre Scene - October 23rd, 2020
- Tiqets Offers Free Virtual Scare-a-thon and Free Tickets To UK Spooky Attractions - Business Wire - October 23rd, 2020
- The Phantom of the Opera isn't the most popular Universal Monster but he would make a great fighting game character - EventHubs - October 23rd, 2020
- Nerds Gets Spooky: 'Supernatural' Pays Homage to the Classics in Its Monster Movie Special - Nerds and Beyond - October 23rd, 2020
- North Bay a 'great place to make movies - The North Bay Nugget - October 23rd, 2020
- 'The Conjuring 2': James Wan Shares Images of the Animatronic Demon That Was Replaced by Valak - Bloody Disgusting - October 23rd, 2020
- The Monster Squad meets a new generation in exclusive clip from 'Woflman's Got Nards' documentary - SYFY WIRE - October 23rd, 2020
- Shadowplay by Joseph O'Connor is on Richard and Judy's book club list - I Love Limerick - October 23rd, 2020
- Dancing for Dracula & You!, October 30 and 31 (Reservations Required by October 27) - River Cities Reader - October 22nd, 2020
- Castlevania: 10 Worst Things The Heroes Did | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 22nd, 2020
- 'Castlevania' offers gore-filled fun but falls short in season three - Shield - October 22nd, 2020
- Claes Bang: Who doesnt want to be a heartthrob? Its great - iNews - October 22nd, 2020
- Radar Licensing Announces "Hammer House of Horror" Merchandise Program With NECA Toys and More - Bloody Disgusting - October 22nd, 2020
- 5 Horror Movies That Will Always Be Classics (& 5 That Aren't Scary Anymore) - Screen Rant - October 22nd, 2020
- The origins of the 'Monster Mash' - The Michigan Daily - October 22nd, 2020
- Every Castlevania Game Ranked, According to Critics | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 20th, 2020
- Castlevania: Everything You Need to Know About Lament of Innocence/Curse of Darkness - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 20th, 2020
- Tales of terror, 'tis the season | Film | yesweekly.com - Yes! Weekly - October 20th, 2020
- Add Hill House and the Bates Motel to The Sims 4 for the season of pumpkins - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 20th, 2020
- When Will Dracula Season 2 be Renewed, Who'll be- Daily Research Plot - Daily Research Plot - October 18th, 2020
- How Symphony of the Night Revolutionized Castlevania | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 18th, 2020
- In brief: War: How Conflict Shaped Us; What Are You Going Through; Shadowplay reviews - The Guardian - October 18th, 2020
- Bram Stokers Dracula and the Seduction of Old School Movie Magic - Den of Geek - October 17th, 2020
- CineLife Entertainment Announces Northern Ballet's Dracula, A Thrilling Adaptation of Bram Stoker's Classic Horror Story Coming to Theaters This... - October 15th, 2020
- Sign claims exasperated church is tired with tourists using it to look for Dracula's grave-Viral News UK - Deadline News - October 15th, 2020
- This dozen new Bengali films will leave you spoilt for choice, this Puja - Indulgexpress - October 15th, 2020
- Dunkin' adds a spicy donut for the first time ever - WICZ - October 15th, 2020
- Will There Be A Jojo Part 9? (& Other Questions About The Series Answered) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 15th, 2020
- 'Haunted' sets the stage for Halloween frights with OBTC's window theater - Southgate News Herald - October 15th, 2020
- Is the Dragons Dogma anime better than the Castlevania one? - Asap Land - October 15th, 2020
- Halloween: The 10 Greatest Horror Movie Villains Of The 90s, Ranked - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 15th, 2020
- Mystery as mummified cat fis ound buried in wall of late grandmothers home by artist grandson in T - The Irish Sun - October 15th, 2020
- Benedict Cumberbatch Reportedly Eyed To Lead New Dracula Movie At Universal - We Got This Covered - October 13th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero