Here are 10 of the best horror films and shows where the haunted house plays a starring role to watch while you're trapped at home during lockdown if you dare.
The Haunting, 1963
Some houses "are born bad" warns the ominous narrator of The Haunting, a 1960s adaption of Shirley Jackson's novel The Haunting of Hill House. A group of paranormal investigators studying an old New England house with a nasty past find themselves simultaneously terrorised and beguiled by the building.
Strange noises come from behind ornate doors and a precarious spiral staircase holds a particularly terrible draw for one member of the unlucky party. Art director Elliot Scott created the Expressionist-style interiors, featuring angled walls that screw with perspective and unusually for a film set real ceilings, to create a suitably claustrophobic atmosphere.
The Haunting is available on YouTube and Amazon Prime.
There's something terrible lurking in the attic of this house in Utah, but the most unsettling part of director Ari Aster's Hereditary is the miniature models of houses and rooms that feature in many of the scenes.
Main character Annie Graham is a miniature artist, so real life miniaturist Steve Newburn was brought onboard to make the sinister models and dioramas that correlate to key moments in the plot.
One model, almost three metres tall, shows a series of dollhouses in different architectural styles sinking through the ground towards hell.
Hereditary is available to stream on A24.
The Haunting of Hill House, 2018
Floor plans can be deceiving in this tv series adaption of Jackson's novel, following five grown-up children coming to terms with their paranormal-filled childhood in a Gothic wreck of a house their parents planned to fix up and sell.
The 10-part Netflix show features a mysterious room at the heart of a house that's trying to put a sinister twist on the idea of a "forever home".
The Haunting of Hill House is available to stream on Netflix.
Nobuhiko Obayashi's psychedelic comedy horror film House follows a group of schoolgirls' misadventures while staying in a house belonging to the aunt of one of them which is also trying to eat them.
Domestic items such as mirrors and mattresses, light bulbs and jars become possessed and devour the girls. Obayashi consulted his young daughter for the script, and used animation to create the bizarre furniture attacks.
House is available to stream on Criterion.
The House That Jack Built, 2018
BIG founder Bjarke Ingels consulted on the architecture of this stomach-turning story of a failed architect turned serial killer, directed by Lars von Trier. Together the architect and director came up with a truly horrifying prop for the film's denouement a house built out of frozen corpses.
The House That Jack Built is available to stream on Amazon Prime.
Even cookie-cutter new builds in the suburbs can become haunted, as the 1982 cult movie Poltergeist shows. Unfortunately for the Freeling family, their California dream house is part of a housing development that was built over an ancient cemetery, and the existing residents don't take too kindly to their new upstairs neighbours.
Poltergeist is available to stream on YouTube.
Crimson Peak, 2015
Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak is set at the fictional Allerdale Hall, a crumbling British manor built on top of a mine. Leaves drift in to the grand foyer through a broken roof, and sinister red clay seeps up from the basement.
Production designer Tom Sanders built the entire house, in its exaggerated Gothic Revivalist style, from scratch as a series of sets that were dismantled after filming finished. Every detail was customised, down to the patterns of moths on the tiled floors.
Crimson Peak is available to stream on Netflix.
The Shining, 1980
Isolation can take its toll on the human psyche, as explored in Jack Nicholson's famous turn in Stanley Kubrick's adaption of the Stephen King horror novel.
Despite having the run of the Overlook Hotel and its decidedly groovy decor, the lack of contact with the outside world, strange nightmares, and a ghost in room 237 drives an aspiring writer round the twist.
The Shining is available to stream on Google Play.
American Horror Story: Murder House, 2011
1120 Westchester Place in Los Angeles is stuffed to the rafters with the ghosts of murderers and their victims, who walk among the living and play havoc with their lives in this 12-episode series.
A real house, built in 1902 in a mix of the Tudor and Gothic Revival by Alfred Rosenheim, served as the exterior. Interior sets were created to be exact replicas, down to the stained glass originally designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany.
American Horror Story: Murder House is available to stream on Netflix.
The Cabin in the Woods, 2011
No category of horror sub-genre is safe from being sent up in this horror movie. A clichd cast of characters, attempting to have a weekend away at a remote cabin, end up fighting for their lives when they discover monsters in the woods. But the real scares only start when they find the secret laboratory under the floorboards.
The spooky cabin, filled with two-way mirrors and mysterious items in the cellar, is the bait for a much bigger trap.
The Cabin in the Woods is available to stream on Google Play.
Main image courtesy of Universal.
- A Very Underrated Horror Movie Has Been Dominating Netflix Today - We Got This Covered - July 5th, 2020
- The mating of monkfish will leave you speechless: its almost a horror movie - InTallaght - July 5th, 2020
- 6 Of The Most Stylish Thrillers Of All Time - British Vogue - July 5th, 2020
- 'Relic' Is the First Terrifying, Must-See Horror Movie of 2020 - The Daily Beast - July 4th, 2020
- 10 Great 4th of July Horror Movies Streaming Now - /FILM - July 4th, 2020
- Explained: Why fans of horror movies may be better equipped to deal with Covid-19 - The Indian Express - July 4th, 2020
- Splice: Why The Sci-Fi Horror Movie Took So Long To Make - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- The director, writer and star of horror film I Am Lisa on how the film came together ahead of Thursday's Boulevard Drive-In premiere - Kansas City... - July 4th, 2020
- Emily Mortimer, Bella Heathcote and Robyn Nevin star in Relic, but dementia is the real ghoul - Sydney Morning Herald - July 4th, 2020
- 4th of July Movies on Netflix to Watch and Feel Patriotic Today - Decider - July 4th, 2020
- Every George Romero Zombie Movie, Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Vivek Oberoi announces second film as producer, a horror-thriller titled Rosie - The Saffron Chapter - Cinema Express - July 4th, 2020
- 'Drive-in' horror shows in Tokyo are providing respite amid COVID-19 scare - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Researchers say fans of apocalyptic movies better prepared for coronavirus pandemic - Republic World - Republic World - July 4th, 2020
- We Are What We Are: How A Modern Twist Changed The Cannibal Sub-Genre - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- The House That Jack Built: Why The Movie Was So Controversial - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Parody Done Right: 20 Years of 'Scary Movie' (2000) - PopHorror - July 4th, 2020
- Fantasy Island: Delivering dreams and nightmares - The Phuket News - July 4th, 2020
- Why The Poltergeist Movies Were Defined By Cutting-Edge Practical Effects - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- A Horror Movie Shot During the Pandemic Is on the Way /Film - /FILM - July 2nd, 2020
- Netflix Added Some Big Horror Movies Today To Kick Off July - We Got This Covered - July 2nd, 2020
- We are the virus: body horror films reflect humanity at its most grotesque - Document Journal - July 2nd, 2020
- 'Churuli' Trailer: 'Jallikattu' Director Is Here With Another Atmospheric Horror Film - Mashable India - July 2nd, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in July - The New York Times - July 2nd, 2020
- Dan Stevens Talks the Thoughtful Horror of THE RENTAL - Nerdist - July 2nd, 2020
- What you can watch at the drive-ins, and 4 reopened movie theaters, in Milwaukee on Fourth of July weekend - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - July 2nd, 2020
- Film review: The Wretched - InDaily - July 2nd, 2020
- Shudder's Horror-Comedy 'DeadTectives' Brings Ghost-Busting to DVD This Month [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 2nd, 2020
- Horror movie filmed in KC area premieres Thursday - KMBC Kansas City - July 1st, 2020
- The 30 Scariest Movies to Watch on Netflix Right Now - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- Terrifying Horror Movies to Watch While at Home This Summer - Yes! Weekly - July 1st, 2020
- Summer of Fear: 24 New Horror Movies, TV Shows and Games Releasing in July 2020 - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2020
- The 30 Best Halloween Movies of All Time - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Body Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2020
- An Unexpected Horror Movie Is Dominating Netflix Today - We Got This Covered - July 1st, 2020
- Grant Summerland Explores the Creepy Side of Mountain Life - Good Times Weekly - July 1st, 2020
- There's A New Horror Movie Called "You Should Have Left," So I Watched It For Everyone Who Can't Handle Scary Movies - BuzzFeed - July 1st, 2020
- Coming To Shudder In July 2020: Plenty Of New And Disturbing Horror Movies To Binge In The Dark - GameSpot - July 1st, 2020
- How The Fall of the House of Usher Changed Horror Movies - Den of Geek US - July 1st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Hear Tracks From The Score of the Horror Film Followed - Bleeding Cool News - July 1st, 2020
- A Nice Vacation Turns Into a Complete Nightmare in Trailer for the Horror Film THE BEACH HOUSE - GeekTyrant - July 1st, 2020
- Ranking the Shark Smarts of Horrors Most Toothsome Predators - Gizmodo Australia - July 1st, 2020
- 'Amulet' Trailer: You Might Want to Think Twice Before Moving Into This House - /FILM - July 1st, 2020
- If you liked Bulbbul, here are 7 gripping horror movies and shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video - GQ India - July 1st, 2020
- Ranking the Shark Smarts of Horrors Most Pernicious Predators - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Splice: The Real Inspiration For The Film (& What It Got Right) - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- New 'bone-chilling' horror Relic looks set to be the scariest film of the year - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Horror movie drive-in tour to stop in CT - CT Post - June 25th, 2020
- Most Anticipated Horror Movies Of 2021 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- Best Black Horror Movies from Blacula to The Girl with All the Gifts - Collider.com - June 25th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movies You Only Ever Watch Once - WhatCulture - June 25th, 2020
- Netflix Is Adding Some Great New Horror Movies In July - We Got This Covered - June 25th, 2020
- When Horror Dishes Out Comeuppance: Did They Deserve It? - Horror Geek Life - June 25th, 2020
- The Moviegoer: Scary Cinema - Bay Weekly - June 25th, 2020
- The Horror is Really Inside of You: Josephine Decker and the Powerful Ambiguity of 'Shirley' [Interview] - Bloody Disgusting - June 25th, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 is a horror game and that's why it hurts - The Guardian - June 25th, 2020
- Netflix Horror Rom-Com The Hills Have Eyes for You Gets Tucker and Dale Director - MovieWeb - June 25th, 2020
- Scream's Halloween Reference Gets The 1978 Movie Totally Wrong - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- Paranormal Activity 7: When Will The Horror Movie Going To Return For The Next Part - The Digital Wise - June 25th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE Was Released in 1983 - Dread Central - June 25th, 2020
- Why Candyman Is The Most Important Horror Movie Of 2020 - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Kevin Bacon is here to tell you the correct way to watch a horror movie - KING5.com - June 24th, 2020
- Scooby-Doo: 10 Amazing References To Horror Movies That Fans Missed - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Things of the Past: The 14 Best Horror Movies of 1984! - Bloody Disgusting - June 24th, 2020
- You Should Have Left review: Kevin Bacons new horror movie is wispy as a g-g-ghost - Polygon - June 24th, 2020
- A horror movie filmed on Zoom with a budget of $0 topped the US box office last week - GamesRadar+ - June 24th, 2020
- HERE IN THE DARK - Short Horror Film - JoBlo.com - June 24th, 2020
- MBTI: 5 Horror Movies That ISTJs Will Love (& 5 They Will Hate) - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Jurassic Park and Jaws fight to top US box offices decades after their first releases - The Guardian - June 24th, 2020
- 6 Movies That Take Place in a Single Location (Mostly) - The New York Times - June 24th, 2020
- Five Nights At Freddy Movie Is Rapidly Moving Forward - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- The Peninsula Trailer Dispels the Myth That Zombie Movies Are All the Same - Film School Rejects - June 24th, 2020
- Claire Foy Will Star in The Psychological Horror Film DUST - GeekTyrant - June 24th, 2020
- Go Eun Ah denies accepting role in horror movie about 'Nth Room' controversy - allkpop - June 24th, 2020
- Bite Into a First Look at 'Bloodthirsty', a Body Horror Werewolf Movie! - Bloody Disgusting - June 24th, 2020
- The Rental Trailer: Dave Francos Directorial Debut Is a Horror Movie with an Indie Dream Team - IndieWire - June 18th, 2020
- How to watch the horror-comedy anthology Scare Package on Shudder - cleveland.com - June 18th, 2020
- Review: You Should Have Left is the rare horror film that makes sense - San Francisco Chronicle - June 18th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Midsommar Is One Of The Worst Horror Movies Of 2019 (& 5 Why Its One Of The Best) - Screen Rant - June 18th, 2020
- Horror Movies With Terrifying Basements That Changed Culture Forever - Film Daily - June 18th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero