RALEIGH The newest addition to the Scream franchise will be filmed on the North Carolina coast.
Shooting for the fifth movie will take place in Wilmington later this year once safety protocols are in place, according to a Monday release from the producing company, Spyglass Media Group. The film will feature David Arquette as Dewey Riley the role he played in the four previous Scream movies.
So far Arquette is the only cast member to have been revealed, though producers have been in contact with other legacy cast, the release says.
I am thrilled to be playing Dewey again and to reunite with my Scream family, old and new, Arquette said, according to the release. Scream has been such a big part of my life, and for both the fans and myself, I look forward to honoring Wes Cravens legacy.
This will be the first film of the long-running franchise not to be under the direction of Craven, whom the release hails as the maestro of horror. Craven died in 2015.
The first movie was released in 1996, followed by Scream 2 in 1997, Scream 3 in 2000 and Scream 4 in 2011.
The new film will be directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett from film-making group Radio Silence, according to the release.
Kevin Williamson, who wrote the original film along with Scream 2 and Scream 4, will serve as executive producer alongside a third member of Radio Silence, Chad Villella, according to the release.
Its impossible to fully express how much Wes Cravens work and the Scream movies in particular mean to us as fans and have influenced us as storytellers, Radio Silence said in the release. Kevin Williamsons incredible stories have entertained and inspired us for decades and were insanely honored to have the opportunity to be a part of the cinematic world Wes and Kevin so brilliantly created together.
The movie will be an original story co-written by James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick but details about the plot are under wraps, according to the release.
The first four films have followed Sidney Prescott and her fight against a line of killers who take on the Ghostface guise. Together the films have grossed more than $600 million.
Williamson said in the release that this take on the movie is original and inventive and honors the legacy of Craven.
Just the fact that we get to sit in a room with Kevin Williamson and talk about a new Scream movie is a dream come true for me, Vanderbilt said, according to the release.
For years Ive wanted to see a new Scream movie, and now we get to help make one. We want this to be a love letter to the movies Wes and Kevin created together and to the fans, Vanderbilt continued.
The movie is the latest in the horror genre to be filmed in the Wilmington area. Halloween Kills, starring Jamie Lee Curtis, was filmed in the area last year and is expected to be released in October, according to the Wilmington Regional Film Commission.
The Conjuring was also filmed in the area in 2011 and 2012 before being released in 2013, the commission says.
- A Very Underrated Horror Movie Has Been Dominating Netflix Today - We Got This Covered - July 5th, 2020
- The mating of monkfish will leave you speechless: its almost a horror movie - InTallaght - July 5th, 2020
- 6 Of The Most Stylish Thrillers Of All Time - British Vogue - July 5th, 2020
- 'Relic' Is the First Terrifying, Must-See Horror Movie of 2020 - The Daily Beast - July 4th, 2020
- 10 Great 4th of July Horror Movies Streaming Now - /FILM - July 4th, 2020
- Explained: Why fans of horror movies may be better equipped to deal with Covid-19 - The Indian Express - July 4th, 2020
- Splice: Why The Sci-Fi Horror Movie Took So Long To Make - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- The director, writer and star of horror film I Am Lisa on how the film came together ahead of Thursday's Boulevard Drive-In premiere - Kansas City... - July 4th, 2020
- Emily Mortimer, Bella Heathcote and Robyn Nevin star in Relic, but dementia is the real ghoul - Sydney Morning Herald - July 4th, 2020
- 4th of July Movies on Netflix to Watch and Feel Patriotic Today - Decider - July 4th, 2020
- Every George Romero Zombie Movie, Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Vivek Oberoi announces second film as producer, a horror-thriller titled Rosie - The Saffron Chapter - Cinema Express - July 4th, 2020
- 'Drive-in' horror shows in Tokyo are providing respite amid COVID-19 scare - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Researchers say fans of apocalyptic movies better prepared for coronavirus pandemic - Republic World - Republic World - July 4th, 2020
- We Are What We Are: How A Modern Twist Changed The Cannibal Sub-Genre - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- The House That Jack Built: Why The Movie Was So Controversial - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- Parody Done Right: 20 Years of 'Scary Movie' (2000) - PopHorror - July 4th, 2020
- Fantasy Island: Delivering dreams and nightmares - The Phuket News - July 4th, 2020
- Why The Poltergeist Movies Were Defined By Cutting-Edge Practical Effects - Screen Rant - July 4th, 2020
- A Horror Movie Shot During the Pandemic Is on the Way /Film - /FILM - July 2nd, 2020
- Netflix Added Some Big Horror Movies Today To Kick Off July - We Got This Covered - July 2nd, 2020
- We are the virus: body horror films reflect humanity at its most grotesque - Document Journal - July 2nd, 2020
- 'Churuli' Trailer: 'Jallikattu' Director Is Here With Another Atmospheric Horror Film - Mashable India - July 2nd, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in July - The New York Times - July 2nd, 2020
- Dan Stevens Talks the Thoughtful Horror of THE RENTAL - Nerdist - July 2nd, 2020
- What you can watch at the drive-ins, and 4 reopened movie theaters, in Milwaukee on Fourth of July weekend - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - July 2nd, 2020
- Film review: The Wretched - InDaily - July 2nd, 2020
- Shudder's Horror-Comedy 'DeadTectives' Brings Ghost-Busting to DVD This Month [Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - July 2nd, 2020
- Horror movie filmed in KC area premieres Thursday - KMBC Kansas City - July 1st, 2020
- The 30 Scariest Movies to Watch on Netflix Right Now - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- Terrifying Horror Movies to Watch While at Home This Summer - Yes! Weekly - July 1st, 2020
- Summer of Fear: 24 New Horror Movies, TV Shows and Games Releasing in July 2020 - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2020
- The 30 Best Halloween Movies of All Time - menshealth.com - July 1st, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Body Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - July 1st, 2020
- An Unexpected Horror Movie Is Dominating Netflix Today - We Got This Covered - July 1st, 2020
- Grant Summerland Explores the Creepy Side of Mountain Life - Good Times Weekly - July 1st, 2020
- There's A New Horror Movie Called "You Should Have Left," So I Watched It For Everyone Who Can't Handle Scary Movies - BuzzFeed - July 1st, 2020
- Coming To Shudder In July 2020: Plenty Of New And Disturbing Horror Movies To Binge In The Dark - GameSpot - July 1st, 2020
- How The Fall of the House of Usher Changed Horror Movies - Den of Geek US - July 1st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Hear Tracks From The Score of the Horror Film Followed - Bleeding Cool News - July 1st, 2020
- A Nice Vacation Turns Into a Complete Nightmare in Trailer for the Horror Film THE BEACH HOUSE - GeekTyrant - July 1st, 2020
- Ranking the Shark Smarts of Horrors Most Toothsome Predators - Gizmodo Australia - July 1st, 2020
- 'Amulet' Trailer: You Might Want to Think Twice Before Moving Into This House - /FILM - July 1st, 2020
- If you liked Bulbbul, here are 7 gripping horror movies and shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video - GQ India - July 1st, 2020
- Ranking the Shark Smarts of Horrors Most Pernicious Predators - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Splice: The Real Inspiration For The Film (& What It Got Right) - Screen Rant - July 1st, 2020
- New 'bone-chilling' horror Relic looks set to be the scariest film of the year - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Horror movie drive-in tour to stop in CT - CT Post - June 25th, 2020
- Most Anticipated Horror Movies Of 2021 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- Best Black Horror Movies from Blacula to The Girl with All the Gifts - Collider.com - June 25th, 2020
- 10 Horror Movies You Only Ever Watch Once - WhatCulture - June 25th, 2020
- Netflix Is Adding Some Great New Horror Movies In July - We Got This Covered - June 25th, 2020
- When Horror Dishes Out Comeuppance: Did They Deserve It? - Horror Geek Life - June 25th, 2020
- The Moviegoer: Scary Cinema - Bay Weekly - June 25th, 2020
- The Horror is Really Inside of You: Josephine Decker and the Powerful Ambiguity of 'Shirley' [Interview] - Bloody Disgusting - June 25th, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 is a horror game and that's why it hurts - The Guardian - June 25th, 2020
- Netflix Horror Rom-Com The Hills Have Eyes for You Gets Tucker and Dale Director - MovieWeb - June 25th, 2020
- Scream's Halloween Reference Gets The 1978 Movie Totally Wrong - Screen Rant - June 25th, 2020
- Paranormal Activity 7: When Will The Horror Movie Going To Return For The Next Part - The Digital Wise - June 25th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE Was Released in 1983 - Dread Central - June 25th, 2020
- Why Candyman Is The Most Important Horror Movie Of 2020 - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Kevin Bacon is here to tell you the correct way to watch a horror movie - KING5.com - June 24th, 2020
- Scooby-Doo: 10 Amazing References To Horror Movies That Fans Missed - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Things of the Past: The 14 Best Horror Movies of 1984! - Bloody Disgusting - June 24th, 2020
- You Should Have Left review: Kevin Bacons new horror movie is wispy as a g-g-ghost - Polygon - June 24th, 2020
- A horror movie filmed on Zoom with a budget of $0 topped the US box office last week - GamesRadar+ - June 24th, 2020
- HERE IN THE DARK - Short Horror Film - JoBlo.com - June 24th, 2020
- MBTI: 5 Horror Movies That ISTJs Will Love (& 5 They Will Hate) - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- Jurassic Park and Jaws fight to top US box offices decades after their first releases - The Guardian - June 24th, 2020
- 6 Movies That Take Place in a Single Location (Mostly) - The New York Times - June 24th, 2020
- Five Nights At Freddy Movie Is Rapidly Moving Forward - Screen Rant - June 24th, 2020
- The Peninsula Trailer Dispels the Myth That Zombie Movies Are All the Same - Film School Rejects - June 24th, 2020
- Claire Foy Will Star in The Psychological Horror Film DUST - GeekTyrant - June 24th, 2020
- Go Eun Ah denies accepting role in horror movie about 'Nth Room' controversy - allkpop - June 24th, 2020
- Bite Into a First Look at 'Bloodthirsty', a Body Horror Werewolf Movie! - Bloody Disgusting - June 24th, 2020
- The Rental Trailer: Dave Francos Directorial Debut Is a Horror Movie with an Indie Dream Team - IndieWire - June 18th, 2020
- How to watch the horror-comedy anthology Scare Package on Shudder - cleveland.com - June 18th, 2020
- Review: You Should Have Left is the rare horror film that makes sense - San Francisco Chronicle - June 18th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Midsommar Is One Of The Worst Horror Movies Of 2019 (& 5 Why Its One Of The Best) - Screen Rant - June 18th, 2020
- Horror Movies With Terrifying Basements That Changed Culture Forever - Film Daily - June 18th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero