Eric Williams|Cape Cod Times
Provincetown: Creepy setting for a horror show
While we wait and wonder if "American Horror Story" will film in Provincetown, here's a spooky tour of creepy locations.
Eric Williams, Cape Cod Times
PROVINCETOWN I was filming a scary movie in my root cellar ("Silence of the Yams") when a fungus-covered rutabaga began groaning. This spoiled the take, so I yelled "Cut!" and fired the talkative turnip on the spot.
"You can't fire me," cackled the rotting vegetable. "I am Lord Moldemort, here to haunt your dreams and give you this message!" With that, he exploded, covering the cellar in foul yellow entrails. Some of the stringier bits congealed into letters and this is what they said:
"What do you know about the TV show "American Horror Story" possibly filming in Provincetown? Is it creepy up there in the offseason?"
Egads! Could this be true? "American Horror Story,''the juggernaut, mega-hit scare-feston FX, chilling spines at the Cape tip? I wiped the veggie slime off my glasses and took the escalator up to my command center. My pop culture maven, Fingerona Pulse, was already on the job, and she presented me with a skull-embossed dossier. I poured a snifter of Clamato and perused the file.
Excellent reporting from my amigos at the Cape Cod Times and Provincetown Banner had almost nailed down the story. It's clear that something is cooking: "Provincetown officials are working with 20th Century Fox to finalize a location and licensing agreement for the television production 'Pilgrim'in the coming two weeks, according to InterimTown Manager Charles Sumner," wrote Michaela Chesin in the Banner this week.
What remains unclear is if the show in question is indeed "American Horror Story" but betting folks might see it as an almost sure thing: "Although the production hasnt been confirmed as 'American Horror Story,' showrunner Ryan Murphy, who owns a home in Provincetown, has dropped hints on social media that the show averaging 5 million viewers will be filmed in Provincetown with stars such as Macaulay Culkin, Kathy Bates, Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson," wrote Chesin.
The cast: American Horror Story Season 10s Sarah Paulson ready to sink her teeth into role
In their original application to the town, 20th Century Foxlisted a bunch of desired filming locations including places in and around the center of town and some Cape Cod National Seashore locales. I reached out to Seashore Superintendent Brian Carlstrom and he wrote this: " The Seashore has been approached and are working through the permitting process, exact locations, and times are under deliberation with the production company."
If it all boils down to "American Horror Story," what do producers see in Provincetown that curdles the blood? There was only one way to find out: I whistled for the Curious Prius, and we sailed out of Wellfleet toward the end of the world.
The sky was wallpapered gray and snow was in the air. Good weather for P'town rumination. As we drove, I thought about scary and bad stuff that had happened up there over the years, like the unsolved homicide of the Lady of the Dunes her handless body was found in the Province Lands in 1974. I also read recently on Boston.com that a TV show about convicted Provincetown murderer Antone "Tony" Costa is in the works, to be produced by actor Robert Downey Jr.'s team. Costa's story is one of the scariest-ever on Cape Cod.
What's coming: Pending Provincetown TV shoot hints at 'American Horror Story' Season 10
Closing in on Provincetown, I veered off Route 6 and climbed High Head in North Truro. Looking across East Harbor, the Pilgrim Monument and the mysterious town lay before me. It's like the Paris of Cape Cod in the summer but now it looked kind of rough and hard-bitten. I began to see how a horror story might fit right in.
I rolled into Provincetownat the split. Ice on the sidewalk had discouraged almost anyone from venturing out and even the fanciest houses looked cold and sad. Someone could scream in a cellar and no one would ever hear it.
The Prius crunched through the snow at the MacMillan Pier parking lot and came to rest. Familiar territory here for a few years I was the sole occupant of the Cape Cod Times Provincetown bureau office right across from the Governor Bradford, a legendary watering hole. From my perch on the second floor, I'd watch the sometimes-rowdy action on the street in front of the bar, and then join in when my story was finished.
I walkeddown the Gosnold Street alley, a frightening canyon of forbidding buildings, and outto the skeleton of an old pier. The creep factor was strong now and I kept looking over my shoulder hard to say why. The gray-black sea lurched around the jagged pilings, like the rotten bones of a giant.
In pictures: 'Hightown' TV series films on Bourne Bridge
Suddenly the town hall bell rang and I jumped! Enough of this I ran back to the Prius and played some classical music for a while to calm down. Then we motored out through the gnarled pines to Race Point Beach. I watched a dragger disappear into the fog and snow started to swirl around the Old Harbor station, so lonely on the sand.
I was now convinced about the scary side of Provincetown. Horror could happen here.
What do you want to know about Cape Cod? To ask a Curious Cape Cod question, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'll do my best to figure things out!
Curious Cape Cod: What is the mysterious tunnel in Bourne for?
Curious Cape Cod: The lost temple of bricks
Curious Cape Cod: Strange ruins on Great Island
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch - Best Horror Movies 2021 - Cosmopolitan - May 21st, 2021
- Netflixs Fear Street Trilogy Brings Three R-Rated Horror Movies This Summer Watch The Trailer - Empire - May 21st, 2021
- Spiral and the Saw movies ask: How does tech challenge horror? - Polygon - May 21st, 2021
- Friends cast ages: How old are the cast of Friends now? - Heart - May 21st, 2021
- The Ads On Free Streaming Sites Are Absolutely Awful - ScreenCrush - May 21st, 2021
- Ella Purnell On Netflix's Zombie Heist Action Movie 'Army Of The Dead' - British Vogue - May 21st, 2021
- Whats Your Number? didnt rank in the summer of Bridesmaids - The A.V. Club - May 21st, 2021
- Everything Leaving Hulu in June 2021 - ComicBook.com - May 21st, 2021
- Woman discovers scary secret basement while renovating home: Someone has 100 percent been down here - Yahoo Sports - May 21st, 2021
- Here's everything coming to Hulu in June 2021, and what's leaving - MarketWatch - May 21st, 2021
- 15 Scary Movies You Need to Watch Explica .co - Explica - May 21st, 2021
- Five of the most hilarious shootout scenes in movie history - We Are The Mighty - May 21st, 2021
- H.S. BASEBALL: Andrew Middleton's blazing start has Canton riding high at 5-0 - The Patriot Ledger - May 21st, 2021
- Is it too soon to say goodbye to movie theaters? - Utahstatesman - April 5th, 2021
- What's on TV Monday: 'Race to the Center of the Earth' - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in April 2021 - Film School Rejects - April 5th, 2021
- All the movies and TV shows coming to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime in April 2021 - Boston.com - April 5th, 2021
- Every One Of Hulu's 'Into the Dark' Horror Movies, Ranked - Mashable India - April 5th, 2021
- All the sci-fi TV and movies streaming in April 2021 - SYFY WIRE - April 5th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: James Dean in 'Giant' on TCM and more - Los Angeles Times - April 5th, 2021
- Will The Unholy movie be available on Blu-ray/DVD? - Hidden Remote - April 5th, 2021
- Its Time to Make April Fools Day the Halloween of Comedy - Vulture - April 5th, 2021
- 'Godzilla vs. Kong' is in theaters and on HBO Max - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Watch: LeBron James and Bugs Bunny team up in 'Space Jam: A New Legacy' trailer - indie88.com - April 5th, 2021
- 'It was like a horror film': inside the terror of the Covid cruise ship - The Guardian - April 5th, 2021
- Janelle Mone on new horror film Antebellum: "There is nothing more horrific than what happened to Black people" - RadioTimes - April 5th, 2021
- Shakey Graves on His "Roll The Bones" Reissue and the Records That Shaped Him - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- The New #9 Show on Netflix Retells Terrifyingly Real Ghost Stories - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 5th, 2021
- 'Antebellum' stars discuss the timely 'horror of the human experience' (exclusive) - Yahoo Movies UK - April 5th, 2021
- Analyzing the Hit-and-Miss Parody of 'Scary Movie 2' [Horror Queers Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- The Boo Crew Gets Creepy with Kesha to Talk Horror and More! [Podcast] - Bloody Disgusting - March 9th, 2021
- David Letterman's old interviews with famous women are going viral for their inappropriate nature. Here are the most uncomfortable ones. - Yahoo News - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Vintage Movie Monsters That Could Be Terrifying Today - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Twisted Horror Films That You Have To Watch Twice To Understand - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Every Paranormal Activity Movie, Ranked By Rotten Tomatoes - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Let's Talk About The Time A Large Eddie Murphy Head Toured The Country - UPROXX - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Andi Matichak - TVOvermind - March 9th, 2021
- 'The Lord of the Rings' Cast Reunites For Anniversary Screenings - ScreenCrush - March 9th, 2021
- Huge drive-in festival coming to Edinburgh in May with RuPaul's Drag Race stars - Edinburgh Live - March 9th, 2021
- Film made in Kamloops a love letter to horror genre directors - Kamloops This Week - March 9th, 2021
- SONS OF ANARCHY Creator Kurt Sutter Is Set to Direct Blumhouse's Horror Film THIS BEAST GeekTyrant - GeekTyrant - March 9th, 2021
- The Shawshank Redemption & 9 Other Poorly Received Movies That Became Classics - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 10 Movies Based On H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Scream: darkly funny, extremely meta horror and a 90s time capsule that never gets old - The Guardian - February 16th, 2021
- Horror movies for Valentines Day that prove true love really exists - Netflix Life - February 16th, 2021
- Winter storm: Scary weather wont get Texans (or Californians) to move - East Bay Times - February 16th, 2021
- Column: HBO's 'Chernobyl' puts catastrophe in perspective The Daily Eastern News - The Daily Eastern News - February 16th, 2021
- Super Exciting Ideas to Have Fun with Your Friends on Halloween - mySanAntonio.com - February 16th, 2021
- Allison Janney Reveals What It's Like Filming 'Mom' Without Anna Faris - Nicki Swift - February 16th, 2021
- New Jewish Horror Film Steeped in Ancient Jewish Lore and Demonology - jewishboston.com - February 16th, 2021
- 5-at-10: Weekend winners and losers, NCAA tournament talking points, Happy birthday Silence of the Lambs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 16th, 2021
- 'Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: How the horror masterpiece is still gripping Hollywood - CNBC - February 16th, 2021
- This old 2013 Lindsay Lohan interview with Letterman hasnt aged well at all - The Brag - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting backlash for his interview with Lindsay Lohan that pushed the 'stigma of addiction and rehab' - Yahoo News - February 16th, 2021
- David Letterman is getting slammed over resurfaced interview with Lindsay Lohan - WION - February 16th, 2021
- Rose Glass on the ecstasy & agony of her new horror film Saint Maud - Cult MTL - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Old Horror Movies That Were Way Ahead Of Their Time - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Lindsay Lohan's 2013 Interview with David Letterman Is Going Viral and People Are Horrified - Yahoo Canada Shine On - February 16th, 2021
- 10 Scary Movies To Watch On Amazon Prime To Avoid Thinking About Valentine's Day - Top 10 Films - February 14th, 2021
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' turns 30: Oscar-nominated horror movies and thrillers | Gallery - Wonderwall - February 14th, 2021
- Disney+ STAR: The 10 Adult TV Shows & Movies We Are Most Looking Forward To - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Experimental film gets atmospheric with '24483 Dreams of Death' - The Park Record - February 14th, 2021
- 5 Of The Most Shocking Moments From Dawn Of The Dead (& 5 Of The Funniest) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Horror Movies That Debuted At SXSW (Ranked According To Rotten Tomatoes) - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- The Shinings Shelley Duvall is unrecognisable 41 years after legendary horror film as she gives rare i - The Sun - February 14th, 2021
- Why Silence of The Lambs Is So Good 30 Years Later - Esquire.com - February 14th, 2021
- 'Don't Panic': Vinegar Syndrome Releases Replica Pajamas Based on the 1988 Horror Film - Bloody Disgusting - February 14th, 2021
- slowthai and Skepta honor Scary Movie in the video CANCELLED - Inspired Traveler - February 10th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Sator' on VOD, an Atmospheric Horror Story Based on a Real-Life Grandmother's Alleged Demonic Possession - Decider - February 10th, 2021
- 1 In 5 People Think This Is The Worst Spoof Movie Ever Made - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- A terrifying horror film from TIFF comes out this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - February 10th, 2021
- Slowthai And Skepta Are Horror Icons In The Bloody 'Cancelled' Video - UPROXX - February 10th, 2021
- 10 Horror Novels You Must Read Before You Watch The Movie - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- From The Witches to Lion King, portraying disabled p..s, scary is a media trope with real world consequences - Firstpost - February 10th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Movies of All Time - 24/7 Wall St. - February 10th, 2021
- The Surprising Movies That Parents Use To Introduce Their Kids To Horror - Looper - February 10th, 2021
- 'Saint Maud' Writer-Director Rose Glass On The Devilish Details You May Have Missed - Mashable India - February 10th, 2021
- What makes a cult film? Doco series takes a deep dive into schlock and horror - Sydney Morning Herald - February 10th, 2021
- 'Judas And The Black Messiah': The Story Of A Man Infiltrating The Black Panther Party | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - February 10th, 2021
- Robin Wright Pushed Past Pain, Stress and Bears to Find Land - Observer - February 10th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero