Derry Girls star Louisa Harland gets into battle with a bloodthirsty Irish vampire in The Boys From County Hell, a new horror comedy which blends the laughs with the gasps.
he Irish actress, who plays Orla in the smash-hit TV series, locks horns with a vampire-style character in the scary movie, filmed here last year.
It tells the story of a group of construction workers in a village in the North who disturb an ancient burial plot, setting the stage for a bloodbath.
The story builds on the folklore tale of Abhartach, an Irish vampire reputed to have stalked the countryside for his victims.
The undead character returned to feast on the blood of whoever crossed his path.
This is one of several fright night films on the way for Irish audiences, as filmmakers here embrace a new trend for eerie storytelling. It follows the recent successes of movies like horror thriller, The Hole in the Ground, starring Sena Kerslake, and psychological thriller Vivarium, both of which found wide audiences worldwide.
Were punching up there with the best of them in terms of the horror genre, said The Boys From County Hell writer/director Chris Baugh of the growing trend for scary movies.
If you think of something like The Hole in the Ground which went to Sundance, and Lee Cronin who directed that has gone on to make the new Evil Dead movie, that is as good as you can get in the genre.
And if you think about the different kinds of films there are, like Vivarium, A Dark Song, The Hole in the Ground, Devils Doorway, theres a really wide spectrum of all different types of horror films as well, and all different textures and flavours from horror comedy like ours, to much darker.
The movie, in cinemas from this weekend, has won wide praise for its scares and cast including Jack Rowan, John Lynch and Louisa.
She gives a very different performance in this, says Baugh. Shes so brilliant with the emotional parts and the physicality and she gets to have real fun.
She has some of the best vampire-fighting moments in the movie. We were really happy with everyone we got because it was important to me that they feel like real group of workers out on the site. Real friends, who were all pulling for each other.
Baugh has loved his horror thrills ever since setting eyes on the iconic Nightmare on Elm Street as a boy.
I remember that as a very formative experience. Seeing Freddy and the knives in the fingers, that will always be seared into my memory.
For this movie, one of the big films that inspired me to write the script was an Irish film called I Went Down (a crime comedy starring Brendan Gleeson).
I remember seeing that when I was quite young, maybe when I was in film school, and thinking, wow, thats a real visceral Irish film, but people sound like we sound here, and it has the character and the humour that we have here and its very distinctly Irish, but it felt like it could work anywhere, because it was within the gangster genre.
He added: The turn of phrase we have here and the love of language and the humour that we get out of language is so great. Why would you not put that on screen?
The global lust to feast on the newly risen gore in Irish horror movies is increasing. Here are some upcoming fright-fests to shock you in your seat:
You Are Not My Mother
Hazel Doupe and Jordanne Jones are among the cast in director Kate Dolans movie, set in a Dublin housing estate. One day Chars mother disappears without trace, only to return the following day. But her mothers behaviour has changed and Char begins to suspect a malevolent force is at play in here.
Eva Green and Mark Strong head the cast of filmmaker Lorcan Finnegans psychological thriller, which recently completed filming in Dublin. It centres on a fashion designer who has been overcome by a strange and mysterious illness. A Filipino nanny offers to assist, using traditional means, only to discover a horrifying truth.
Lily-Rose Depp and 1917 star George MacKay star in the psychological thriller that is based around an unusual
real-life condition called species dysphoria, where people believe they are an animal trapped inside a human body. MacKays character, who believes he is a wolf, is sent off to a special clinic to have his condition treated.
Elisha Cuthbert and Eoin Macken star in this scary movie that was filmed in Co Roscommon. It tells the story of a young mother whose daughter has mysteriously vanished in the cellar of a new house the family have just moved into. She has no choice then but to take on a powerful force to save her family.
Let the Wrong One In
Horror meets comedy in this movie set in the northside of Dublin. It tells the story of a teenage boy who discovers that his older brother Decco has been turned into a vampire. The dilemma he faces is this? Should he stake him through the heart, as you do, or help him, risking his own life and others.
Irish director and co-writer Antaine Furlong made this jittery psychological thriller that tells the story of a young woman who becomes trapped in a lift in a skyscraper in Shanghai. Charlotte Best plays Aria, who wakes up trapped in the elevator with no idea how she got there, or when, and she has to figure out what to do next. The movie is available on digital platforms from tomorrow.
Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices
- The 31 Scariest Movie Scenes Ever - /Film - October 20th, 2021
- In the Mood for a Scary Movie? Here Are 12 That Are Set in DC. - Washingtonian - October 20th, 2021
- Halloween parades, scary movies, and other spooky activities happening this week - PennLive - October 20th, 2021
- The 11 scariest movies on Netflix right now - AL.com - October 20th, 2021
- Disney's 'Dark Phase' in the '80s Resulted In These Surprisingly Scary Movies - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- Night Teeth cast: Whos in the new Netflix movie? - Netflix Life - October 20th, 2021
- Scary films and TV shows new to Netflix in time for Halloween this year - Daily Record - October 20th, 2021
- Jamie Kennedy Says SCREAM Is the Perfect Gen-X Film - Nerdist - October 20th, 2021
- Scream Therapy: The Mental Health Benefits of Horror Movies - Healthline - October 20th, 2021
- The Most Popular Movies On Netflix Besides 'The Forgotten Battle' - Yahoo News - October 20th, 2021
- The Best Halloween Movies to Watch on HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, and More - TV Guide - October 20th, 2021
- 'Stargirl' Season 2 Is the Perfect Horror Series to Watch for Halloween - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- The Amazon Reboot of I Know What You Did Last Summer Is Almost Nothing Like the Classic Movie - POPSUGAR - October 20th, 2021
- What is the scariest experience youve had in a movie theater? - The A.V. Club - October 20th, 2021
- Parents and Gen Zers Most Likely to Overspend on Halloween This Year - KKTV 11 News - October 20th, 2021
- Best scary movies on Hulu in October 2021 - Tom's Guide - October 9th, 2021
- Trust in scientific process erodes further with study that calls Host the scariest movie ever made - The A.V. Club - October 9th, 2021
- Scary Movies to Watch in the Dark | A&E | 425magazine.com - 425magazine.com - October 9th, 2021
- First-of-its-kind Haunted House Restaurant offers family-friendly frights - Attractions Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- Beetlejuice: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About The Michael Keaton Movie - Cinema Blend - October 9th, 2021
- 20 of the Best Ghost Movies of All Time - Lifehacker - October 9th, 2021
- Halloween Happenings: A guide to spooky (and not so scary) festivities in North County - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 9th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Madres' on Amazon Prime, a Blumhouse Creepfest That Insists Living People are Scarier Than Dead Ones - Decider - October 9th, 2021
- Scary Movies: The Conjuring Universe All Films Ranked! - Top 10 Films - October 9th, 2021
- 7 new movies and TV shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max and more this weekend - TechRadar - October 9th, 2021
- Where to watch 'Malignant' online: streams on HBO Max through October 10 - Business Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Jason Blum on what makes a good horror film: Best scares wont work if theres no story - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2021
- Screaming Live on Snapchat: 6 of the Most Unique Found Footage Movies! - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- The scariest films on Netflix, Amazon Prime and TV this Halloween and how to watch them - Wales Online - October 9th, 2021
- This is the top searched Halloween candy, according to Google Trends - Fox Business - October 9th, 2021
- 8 Haunted Houses That Deliver the Fright This Spooky Season - 5280 - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- Enjoy October With Candyman & Midnight Mass - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - October 9th, 2021
- Celebrate The Halloween Season With 6 Scary Things To Do in Barrie - Barrie 360 - October 9th, 2021
- 15 Best Scary Movies Streaming On Hulu - Best Scary Movies on Hulu - Seventeen.com - September 5th, 2021
- The 30 Best Scary Movies on Netflix in 2021 - PureWow - September 5th, 2021
- Even during the pandemic, horror movies remain one of the most profitable genres at the box office - CNBC - September 5th, 2021
- Marlon Wayans: What To Watch If You Like The Respect Star - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- The 15 Scariest Horror Movies On Hulu Right Now - /FILM - September 5th, 2021
- New Clubhouse-Created Horror Anthology in the Works - Hollywood Reporter - September 5th, 2021
- SPIN Is A Wholesome And Worthy Addition To Your Family Movie Nights - Scary Mommy - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Big Scary S Word': Documentary film viewers of the world, unite! - People's World - September 5th, 2021
- Movie Review | Candyman: Bold, scary sequel brings a classic bogeyman to the modern world - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - September 5th, 2021
- The Real Reason Why Horror Movies Are Still Killing It At The Box Office - Looper - September 5th, 2021
- 6 New and Upcoming Horror Movies to Get You in the Halloween Spirit - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Last Night in Soho Review: Edgar Wrights Retro Horror Has Its Heart in the Sixties and Its Head All Over the Place - Variety - September 5th, 2021
- Tickets for the Terrifyingly Fun SLAY Film Fest are Now on Sale! - TheStranger.com - September 5th, 2021
- Diana biopic Spencer is 'like a horror film' and not The Crown - Metro.co.uk - September 5th, 2021
- I was sexually abused and tortured by my parents who stapled my EYELIDS open so Id have to watch a scary f... - The US Sun - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Movies And Shows Coming To Paramount+ In September 2021 - /FILM - September 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in September 2021 - Film School Rejects - September 5th, 2021
- Aftermath on Netflix is a new horror movie that has subscribers so freaked out - BGR - August 10th, 2021
- Box Office: As Blockbusters Bomb, Horror Films Thrive In A Covid-Stricken Summer - Forbes - August 10th, 2021
- Dive Down the Rabbit Hole With 6 of the Best Conspiracy Horror Films - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- What The Little Boy From Casper Looks Like Now - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- 9 Jordan Peele Movies And TV Shows And Where To Watch Them - CinemaBlend - August 10th, 2021
- Trailer For 'MARLON WAYANS: YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS' Comedy Special - BlackFilm.com - Blackfilm - August 10th, 2021
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in August 2021and What's Leaving - TIME - August 10th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies to Stream Right Now - Your Money Geek - August 10th, 2021
- The Classic Horror Movie Fans Of American Horror Stories' Ba'al Need To Watch - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- The Lawsuit That Stopped Production On Friday The 13th - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- 'Inception' Was Almost a Horror Film Instead of Sci-Fi - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2021
- Weekend movie marathon: 6 new and popular Hindi horror movies on Zee5 and more that you can finish in 11 hours - GQ India - August 10th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, and More in August 2021 - TV Guide - August 10th, 2021
- Anya Taylor-Joy is the new scream queen in upcoming horror film Last Night in Soho - HOLA! USA - August 10th, 2021
- The Cast Of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Is Gorgeous In Real Life - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- This TikToker watched 1,000 horror films and here are the ones she actually rates - Cosmopolitan UK - July 26th, 2021
- Horror film Old has one of the scariest scenes youll see this year - JOE.ie - July 26th, 2021
- Fear Street Star Olivia Scott Welch Pulls Back the Curtain on the Hit Netflix Trilogy - Hollywood Reporter - July 26th, 2021
- Night of the Kings, Lucky and More Streaming Gems - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in August - Insider - July 26th, 2021
- The Dos and Don'ts of Watching Horror Movies - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- 11 Great Comedy Specials On Netflix From People Of Color, Including Russell Peters - CinemaBlend - July 26th, 2021
- Updates From The Batman and The Flash Are, Somehow, Still Both About Batman - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: 'Bonnie and Clyde'; 'Forrest Gump' - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- New on Netflix: The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming in August - Vanity Fair - July 26th, 2021
- These 4 Pittsburgh businesses are keeping kids (and parents) entertained and educated - NEXTpittsburgh - July 26th, 2021
- The Biggest A24 Movies Of All Time - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Comedy Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- False Positive review: On Hulu, pregnancy is fertile ground for scary-movie thrills - Chicago Sun-Times - July 1st, 2021
- Movie review: The Conjuring 3 was alright for me - The Daily Evergreen - July 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero