Conspiracy theories can be dangerous when taken at face value, especially now that the internet has made it hard for some folks to tell the difference between legitimate information and paranoid rambling. However, when used as a storytelling tool, conspiratorial thinking can also serve as a reminder about the merits of questioning authority and fighting back against an unfair status quo.
This rebellious spirit is likely the reason why these theories have inspired so many great movies. From alien abductions to secret societies manipulating world events from behind the scenes, paranoid narratives often lead to great storytelling, and thats why weve decided to come up with a list of 6 of the best conspiracy horror movies. After all, it can occasionally be fun to put on the proverbial tin-foil hat and dive down a conspiratorial rabbit hole.
Naturally, there are several great movies that didnt quite make the cut (everything from William Friedkins Bug to John Carpenters They Live), so dont forget to share your own favorites with us in the comments below. And remember the weirder, the better!
Now, onto the list
6. Pi (1998)
Math is already terrifying enough depending on how well you did in High School, but Darren Aronofskys Pi is notable for turning one of humanitys most rational concepts into the basis for a thrilling descent into madness. Featuring a down-on-his-luck mathematician who discovers a mystical sequence of numbers, audiences are soon thrown into a mysterious world of stock market manipulation, divine inspiration and Jewish prophecies.
My personal favorite of Aronofskys mind-bending thrillers, Pi is a must-watch for psychological-horror fans with a taste for religious conspiracy. Actual mathematicians may take issue with the films loose interpretation of real-world concepts like the Fibonacci sequence and the titular Pi, but this is still one hell of a compelling ride with a shockingly memorable finale.
5. The X-Files: Fight the Future (1998)
You cant talk about conspiracies without bringing up The X-Files, so its no surprise that the shows big-screen spin-off made it onto the list. Fight the Future may technically be a bridge between the series fifth and sixth seasons, but it also works as a standalone investigation where Mulder and Scully attempt to expose a plot between extraterrestrials and a secret society hell-bent on subjugating humanity.
Youll probably enjoy the movie a lot more if youre already familiar with the source material, but casual viewers will still likely appreciate the films dedication to using nearly all of the best conspiracy tropes in a single story. From Black Helicopters to UFOs and top-secret biological weapons, Id recommend the film as both an introduction to these iconic characters and a paranoid sci-fi thriller.
4. The Vast of Night (2019)
With post-war paranoia and secretive government investigations like Project Bluebook, the 1950s were a golden age for conspiracy theories. Thats why Andrew Pattersons slow-burn mystery film The Vast of Night works so well as a lovingly retro period piece. Telling the story of a DJ and switchboard operator who stumble on an unexplainable audio frequency in New Mexico, the film takes us on a surprisingly intimate ride through classic Sci-Fi tropes.
Some audiences may be put off by the films deliberate pacing and subtle approach to science fiction, but I think that Pattersons restraint in revealing the true nature of the forces behind the mysterious signal is precisely what makes this such a compelling thriller.
3. Project Avalanche (2016)
Being one of the most important events in human history, its not surprising that the Moon Landing also became the source of countless conspiracy theories. While a number of books and movies have suggested that Armstrongs giant leap for mankind was part of an elaborate hoax, Matt Johnsons Found-Footage oddity Project Avalanche is by far the most convincing and entertaining of these conspiratorial yarns.
Chronicling the misadventures of a group of CIA agents attempting to convince their bosses that they can fake the moon landing if the real project doesnt get off the ground, Project Avalanche is the most believable Found-Footage period-piece out there. It may not be particularly scary, but the film is even more impressive when you consider that Johnson and his crew managed to convince NASA that they were producing a legitimate documentary, allowing for several scenes shot within their real facilities. Now thats commitment to realism!
2. The Conspiracy (2012)
Another Found-Footage flick, Christopher MacBrides The Conspiracy is inspired by the real Bohemian Grove footage that leaked back in 2000. For those who dont remember, the amateur video sparked rumors that world leaders routinely gather in a private club to participate in occult rituals and plan a new world order (while possibly conducting human sacrifice).
The details of this particular conspiracy theory obviously sound a bit absurd when you say them out loud, but they do make for a fun scary movie dealing with secret societies and the horrors of human sacrifice. Its not a perfect experience, but Id recommend The Conspiracy to both conspiracy nuts and casual horror fans looking for some paranoid thrills.
1. Jacobs Ladder (1990)
Influencing everything from Silent Hill to The X-Files and even Rick and Morty episodes, Jacobs Ladder is one of the most important horror films to come out of the 90s. Naturally, this chilling tale about a Vietnam veteran being haunted by demonic visions as he leads a double life was itself inspired by real stories of unethical military projects like the infamous MK Ultra experiments and the use of illegal chemicals like Agent Orange.
While the film is supposedly missing over twenty minutes of horrific footage that the director cut due to negative test audience reactions, its still one hell of a scary ride through the terrors of grief and post-traumatic stress, all culminating in some of the most disturbingly memorable visuals ever put in a horror film. Its definitely not for the faint of heart, but this is one scary movie that no horror hound should miss.
See the original post here:
Dive Down the Rabbit Hole With 6 of the Best Conspiracy Horror Films - Bloody Disgusting
- The 31 Scariest Movie Scenes Ever - /Film - October 20th, 2021
- In the Mood for a Scary Movie? Here Are 12 That Are Set in DC. - Washingtonian - October 20th, 2021
- Halloween parades, scary movies, and other spooky activities happening this week - PennLive - October 20th, 2021
- The 11 scariest movies on Netflix right now - AL.com - October 20th, 2021
- Disney's 'Dark Phase' in the '80s Resulted In These Surprisingly Scary Movies - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- Night Teeth cast: Whos in the new Netflix movie? - Netflix Life - October 20th, 2021
- Scary films and TV shows new to Netflix in time for Halloween this year - Daily Record - October 20th, 2021
- Jamie Kennedy Says SCREAM Is the Perfect Gen-X Film - Nerdist - October 20th, 2021
- Scream Therapy: The Mental Health Benefits of Horror Movies - Healthline - October 20th, 2021
- The Most Popular Movies On Netflix Besides 'The Forgotten Battle' - Yahoo News - October 20th, 2021
- The Best Halloween Movies to Watch on HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, and More - TV Guide - October 20th, 2021
- 'Stargirl' Season 2 Is the Perfect Horror Series to Watch for Halloween - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 20th, 2021
- The Amazon Reboot of I Know What You Did Last Summer Is Almost Nothing Like the Classic Movie - POPSUGAR - October 20th, 2021
- What is the scariest experience youve had in a movie theater? - The A.V. Club - October 20th, 2021
- Parents and Gen Zers Most Likely to Overspend on Halloween This Year - KKTV 11 News - October 20th, 2021
- Best scary movies on Hulu in October 2021 - Tom's Guide - October 9th, 2021
- Trust in scientific process erodes further with study that calls Host the scariest movie ever made - The A.V. Club - October 9th, 2021
- Scary Movies to Watch in the Dark | A&E | 425magazine.com - 425magazine.com - October 9th, 2021
- First-of-its-kind Haunted House Restaurant offers family-friendly frights - Attractions Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- Beetlejuice: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About The Michael Keaton Movie - Cinema Blend - October 9th, 2021
- 20 of the Best Ghost Movies of All Time - Lifehacker - October 9th, 2021
- Halloween Happenings: A guide to spooky (and not so scary) festivities in North County - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 9th, 2021
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Madres' on Amazon Prime, a Blumhouse Creepfest That Insists Living People are Scarier Than Dead Ones - Decider - October 9th, 2021
- Scary Movies: The Conjuring Universe All Films Ranked! - Top 10 Films - October 9th, 2021
- 7 new movies and TV shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max and more this weekend - TechRadar - October 9th, 2021
- Where to watch 'Malignant' online: streams on HBO Max through October 10 - Business Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Jason Blum on what makes a good horror film: Best scares wont work if theres no story - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2021
- Screaming Live on Snapchat: 6 of the Most Unique Found Footage Movies! - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- The scariest films on Netflix, Amazon Prime and TV this Halloween and how to watch them - Wales Online - October 9th, 2021
- This is the top searched Halloween candy, according to Google Trends - Fox Business - October 9th, 2021
- 8 Haunted Houses That Deliver the Fright This Spooky Season - 5280 - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - October 9th, 2021
- Enjoy October With Candyman & Midnight Mass - At The Movies With Kasey - The Waynedale News - October 9th, 2021
- Celebrate The Halloween Season With 6 Scary Things To Do in Barrie - Barrie 360 - October 9th, 2021
- 15 Best Scary Movies Streaming On Hulu - Best Scary Movies on Hulu - Seventeen.com - September 5th, 2021
- The 30 Best Scary Movies on Netflix in 2021 - PureWow - September 5th, 2021
- Even during the pandemic, horror movies remain one of the most profitable genres at the box office - CNBC - September 5th, 2021
- Marlon Wayans: What To Watch If You Like The Respect Star - CinemaBlend - September 5th, 2021
- The 15 Scariest Horror Movies On Hulu Right Now - /FILM - September 5th, 2021
- New Clubhouse-Created Horror Anthology in the Works - Hollywood Reporter - September 5th, 2021
- SPIN Is A Wholesome And Worthy Addition To Your Family Movie Nights - Scary Mommy - September 5th, 2021
- 'The Big Scary S Word': Documentary film viewers of the world, unite! - People's World - September 5th, 2021
- Movie Review | Candyman: Bold, scary sequel brings a classic bogeyman to the modern world - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - September 5th, 2021
- The Real Reason Why Horror Movies Are Still Killing It At The Box Office - Looper - September 5th, 2021
- 6 New and Upcoming Horror Movies to Get You in the Halloween Spirit - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- Last Night in Soho Review: Edgar Wrights Retro Horror Has Its Heart in the Sixties and Its Head All Over the Place - Variety - September 5th, 2021
- Tickets for the Terrifyingly Fun SLAY Film Fest are Now on Sale! - TheStranger.com - September 5th, 2021
- Diana biopic Spencer is 'like a horror film' and not The Crown - Metro.co.uk - September 5th, 2021
- I was sexually abused and tortured by my parents who stapled my EYELIDS open so Id have to watch a scary f... - The US Sun - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Movies And Shows Coming To Paramount+ In September 2021 - /FILM - September 5th, 2021
- All the Horror You Need to Stream in September 2021 - Film School Rejects - September 5th, 2021
- Aftermath on Netflix is a new horror movie that has subscribers so freaked out - BGR - August 10th, 2021
- Derry Girls star Louisa Harland takes on blood-thirsty vampire in new Irish horror movie - Sunday World - August 10th, 2021
- Box Office: As Blockbusters Bomb, Horror Films Thrive In A Covid-Stricken Summer - Forbes - August 10th, 2021
- What The Little Boy From Casper Looks Like Now - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- 9 Jordan Peele Movies And TV Shows And Where To Watch Them - CinemaBlend - August 10th, 2021
- Trailer For 'MARLON WAYANS: YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS' Comedy Special - BlackFilm.com - Blackfilm - August 10th, 2021
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in August 2021and What's Leaving - TIME - August 10th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies to Stream Right Now - Your Money Geek - August 10th, 2021
- The Classic Horror Movie Fans Of American Horror Stories' Ba'al Need To Watch - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- The Lawsuit That Stopped Production On Friday The 13th - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- 'Inception' Was Almost a Horror Film Instead of Sci-Fi - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2021
- Weekend movie marathon: 6 new and popular Hindi horror movies on Zee5 and more that you can finish in 11 hours - GQ India - August 10th, 2021
- What's New to Stream on HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, and More in August 2021 - TV Guide - August 10th, 2021
- Anya Taylor-Joy is the new scream queen in upcoming horror film Last Night in Soho - HOLA! USA - August 10th, 2021
- The Cast Of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Is Gorgeous In Real Life - Looper - August 10th, 2021
- This TikToker watched 1,000 horror films and here are the ones she actually rates - Cosmopolitan UK - July 26th, 2021
- Horror film Old has one of the scariest scenes youll see this year - JOE.ie - July 26th, 2021
- Fear Street Star Olivia Scott Welch Pulls Back the Curtain on the Hit Netflix Trilogy - Hollywood Reporter - July 26th, 2021
- Night of the Kings, Lucky and More Streaming Gems - The New York Times - July 26th, 2021
- Everything coming to and leaving Netflix in August - Insider - July 26th, 2021
- The Dos and Don'ts of Watching Horror Movies - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2021
- 11 Great Comedy Specials On Netflix From People Of Color, Including Russell Peters - CinemaBlend - July 26th, 2021
- Updates From The Batman and The Flash Are, Somehow, Still Both About Batman - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- Movies on TV this week: 'Bonnie and Clyde'; 'Forrest Gump' - Los Angeles Times - July 26th, 2021
- New on Netflix: The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming in August - Vanity Fair - July 26th, 2021
- These 4 Pittsburgh businesses are keeping kids (and parents) entertained and educated - NEXTpittsburgh - July 26th, 2021
- The Biggest A24 Movies Of All Time - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- 40 Best Comedy Movies On Hulu [July 2021] - Looper - July 26th, 2021
- False Positive review: On Hulu, pregnancy is fertile ground for scary-movie thrills - Chicago Sun-Times - July 1st, 2021
- Movie review: The Conjuring 3 was alright for me - The Daily Evergreen - July 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero