Written by Kshitij Rawat | New Delhi | Updated: November 1, 2020 7:30:00 amHere is a list of top 10 underrated horror movies streaming on Netflix. (Photo: Summit Entertainment)
In the age of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, we are spoiled for choice in terms of what horror movies to watch this Halloween. Despite so many options, sorting through them and finding one that would assuredly be good, can be tedious. Also, if you are a horror fanatic, you may have seen all the popular ones.
So what do you do? That is where we come in. Here is a list of top 10 underrated horror movies streaming on Netflix that you can and should watch this Halloween. Here, I am deliberately not including scary films that you likely have already seen. So, no Conjuring movies and so on.
This movie, directed by Scott Derrickson (who went on to direct MCUs Doctor Strange) and co-written by Derrickson and C Robert Cargill, was just declared the scariest movie of all time according to a scientific study. The film is about an obsessed true-crime writer (Ethan Hawke) who moves to a new house with his family because a horrible crime was committed there. Of course, he hides this fact from his family. Things begin to happen, his sons night terrors relapse, his daughter begins to befriend imaginary people who turn out to be not that imaginary, after all. Sinister is an innovative movie that does not rely on jump-scares, and uses mounting dread and tension to scare the hell out of the viewer.
Directed by Mike Flanagan, the mind behind Netflixs series The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor and Doctor Sleep, Oculus follows two plotlines, one in the past and the other in the present, of two siblings dealing with the death of their parents and the destruction of their family at the hands of a malevolent entity that lives in an antique mirror. The film is both suspenseful and downright frightening and has a brilliant, twist ending. Oculus stars Karen Gillan and Brenton Thwaites.
Martin Freemans zombie film Cargo asks the important question How would you protect a newborn child in a zombie apocalypse? They rarely show young children in zombie films. Keep in mind, though, that Cargo needs patience. It has a slow pace and a meditative tone and is not another of those mindless zombie movies.
Four middle-aged dudes Luke, Phil, Dom, and Hutch go on a hiking trip to northern Sweden as a screwed-up tribute to their friend. The said friend was killed in a robbery in a store, while Luke (Rafe Spall) hid and watched. The other three are considerate enough to keep their mouth shut during the trip for a while, anyway. Dom (Sam Troughton) injures his knee, and instead of traversing across the mountains, they decide to go through the woods. And as the saying goes, things begin to happen. They are hunted by an unstoppable supernatural entity that has arrived straight from the darkest recesses of Norse pantheon.
When BDSM goes bad. If this sentence makes this brilliant Stephen King adaptation sound corny, you are in for a surprise. This Mike Flanagan directorial, which explores heavy themes like mental trauma and misogyny, keeps you entertained and terrified at the same time.
Strictly not for claustrophobics, most of the runtime of this movie is set inside a lift. A few characters get stuck after power goes down inside a lift and terror ensues. Devil is an engaging, frightening, edge-of-your-seat experience.
Rebecca Halls character in this movie visits a school to expose the hoax of sightings of a child ghost. The Awakening is an amazing, old-school type horror film with a compelling atmosphere. Watch out for the performance of Isaac Hempstead Wright, who is otherwise known as Bran Stark from Game of Thrones.
Hush is a relentlessly paced film in which a deaf and dumb author, living in a remote spot, has to escape the clutches of a psychopathic killer. Kate Siegel does a superb job in portraying the agony of a woman who has to survive alone without her two senses. She cannot hear him coming, and she cannot scream for help. Hush is directed by Mike Flanagan, who makes full use of the intriguing premise.
Hold the Dark is undoubtedly a fascinating movie despite a confusing plot. It grabs your attention from the very first shot and never lets go. It also looks pretty stunning. Visuals never take the centre-stage, but they dazzle you anyway.
This Alex Garland directorial has elements of science fiction, horror and mystery. A mysterious quarantined zone is affected by an alien phenomenon that is mutating creatures and landscapes inside it. The zone is surrounded by a shimmering electromagnetic field, and it is thus called the Shimmer. The zone is getting larger, and the US government believes that it would one day surround the whole world if not stopped. The climax of the movie is a gorgeous interplay between mind-bending visuals and incongruous electronic notes.
The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App.
IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
Read more from the original source:
10 underrated horror movies to watch on Halloween - The Indian Express
- South Korean Movies That Have Left Global Audience Asking For More - Outlook India - September 16th, 2022
- Rob Zombie - IMDb - August 31st, 2022
- Sci-Fi Movies That Made The Cast Do Gross Things - /Film - August 31st, 2022
- Top Ten Most Beautiful Blond Models - ReelRundown - August 31st, 2022
- The Keymaster And The Gatekeeper 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - August 31st, 2022
- Carter and the best Asian martial arts movies on the Internet right now - Entertainment News , Firstpost - Firstpost - August 22nd, 2022
- [Top 25] Best Zombie Games for PC | GAMERS DECIDE - August 14th, 2022
- [Top 5] Minecraft Zombie Apocalypse Mods That Are Awesome - August 14th, 2022
- New Netflix Zombie Movie Debuts on Top 10 List - Horror - August 14th, 2022
- Ten Different Ways to Start a Zombie Apocalypse Story or Novel - August 14th, 2022
- 'The Gray Man' Has Massive Debut on Netflix - ScreenCrush - July 28th, 2022
- 50 Most Memorable Danny Glover Movies Ranked Worst To Best - Looper - June 14th, 2022
- 5 best movies and shows on Prime Video this weekend: The Boys - Amazon Adviser - June 5th, 2022
- Poll: What's the Best Korn Album? - Vote Now - Loudwire - June 5th, 2022
- Stories of the subcontinent: Films from India, Pakistan, Nepal illuminate 75th anniversary line-up of Cannes Film Festival - The Financial Express - May 17th, 2022
- Selling Sunset's Christine Quinn Has Officially Exited The Oppenheim Group, But Is That A Good Thing? - msnNOW - May 4th, 2022
- Ten Movies That Were Saved by Their Ending - 25YearsLaterSite.com - April 8th, 2022
- Top 10 movies from 2021 that take your breath away! - Financial World - April 8th, 2022
- 15 Years Ago: The Failure of 'Grindhouse' Heralds a New Era - Ultimate Classic Rock - April 8th, 2022
- Lzzy Hale + Katie Daryl Return for New Seasons of AXS' 'A Year in Music' + 'Top Ten Revealed' - Loudwire - April 8th, 2022
- Crack At it Again - Brewster Suspect Arrested in Danbury, Again - i95rock.com - April 8th, 2022
- Top 5 Zombie Base Building Games (Build, Defend, Survive ... - March 27th, 2022
- Top 10 Reasons the Zombie Apocalypse Could Really Happen ... - March 27th, 2022
- HORROR TEN SPOT: Top 10 Asses - March 27th, 2022
- 60 Best Zombie Movies of All Time | Stacker - March 27th, 2022
- All time best end-of-the-world movies to watch in 2022 - Digital Boom - January 23rd, 2022
- 2022s big TV and movie anniversaries - Polygon - January 9th, 2022
- The George Romero-Helmed Stephen King Adaptation We'll Never Get To See - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- The 15 Best Sci-Fi Movies Of 2021 Ranked - /Film - December 14th, 2021
- Google Has Revealed All the Movies and TV Shows We've Been Searching for in 2021 - Concrete Playground - December 14th, 2021
- How Shaun of the Dead Got a Boost From Hollywood and Comic-Con Geeks - Gizmodo - November 29th, 2021
- A Kickass Zombie Movie Is Back From The Dead To Terrorize Netflix - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Fans Go Wild As Shang-Chi Arrives On Disney Plus - We Got This Covered - November 13th, 2021
- Day of the Dead interview with star Christopher Russell - 1428 Elm - October 20th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero