Written by Kshitij Rawat | New Delhi | Updated: November 1, 2020 7:30:00 amHere is a list of top 10 underrated horror movies streaming on Netflix. (Photo: Summit Entertainment)
In the age of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, we are spoiled for choice in terms of what horror movies to watch this Halloween. Despite so many options, sorting through them and finding one that would assuredly be good, can be tedious. Also, if you are a horror fanatic, you may have seen all the popular ones.
So what do you do? That is where we come in. Here is a list of top 10 underrated horror movies streaming on Netflix that you can and should watch this Halloween. Here, I am deliberately not including scary films that you likely have already seen. So, no Conjuring movies and so on.
This movie, directed by Scott Derrickson (who went on to direct MCUs Doctor Strange) and co-written by Derrickson and C Robert Cargill, was just declared the scariest movie of all time according to a scientific study. The film is about an obsessed true-crime writer (Ethan Hawke) who moves to a new house with his family because a horrible crime was committed there. Of course, he hides this fact from his family. Things begin to happen, his sons night terrors relapse, his daughter begins to befriend imaginary people who turn out to be not that imaginary, after all. Sinister is an innovative movie that does not rely on jump-scares, and uses mounting dread and tension to scare the hell out of the viewer.
Directed by Mike Flanagan, the mind behind Netflixs series The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor and Doctor Sleep, Oculus follows two plotlines, one in the past and the other in the present, of two siblings dealing with the death of their parents and the destruction of their family at the hands of a malevolent entity that lives in an antique mirror. The film is both suspenseful and downright frightening and has a brilliant, twist ending. Oculus stars Karen Gillan and Brenton Thwaites.
Martin Freemans zombie film Cargo asks the important question How would you protect a newborn child in a zombie apocalypse? They rarely show young children in zombie films. Keep in mind, though, that Cargo needs patience. It has a slow pace and a meditative tone and is not another of those mindless zombie movies.
Four middle-aged dudes Luke, Phil, Dom, and Hutch go on a hiking trip to northern Sweden as a screwed-up tribute to their friend. The said friend was killed in a robbery in a store, while Luke (Rafe Spall) hid and watched. The other three are considerate enough to keep their mouth shut during the trip for a while, anyway. Dom (Sam Troughton) injures his knee, and instead of traversing across the mountains, they decide to go through the woods. And as the saying goes, things begin to happen. They are hunted by an unstoppable supernatural entity that has arrived straight from the darkest recesses of Norse pantheon.
When BDSM goes bad. If this sentence makes this brilliant Stephen King adaptation sound corny, you are in for a surprise. This Mike Flanagan directorial, which explores heavy themes like mental trauma and misogyny, keeps you entertained and terrified at the same time.
Strictly not for claustrophobics, most of the runtime of this movie is set inside a lift. A few characters get stuck after power goes down inside a lift and terror ensues. Devil is an engaging, frightening, edge-of-your-seat experience.
Rebecca Halls character in this movie visits a school to expose the hoax of sightings of a child ghost. The Awakening is an amazing, old-school type horror film with a compelling atmosphere. Watch out for the performance of Isaac Hempstead Wright, who is otherwise known as Bran Stark from Game of Thrones.
Hush is a relentlessly paced film in which a deaf and dumb author, living in a remote spot, has to escape the clutches of a psychopathic killer. Kate Siegel does a superb job in portraying the agony of a woman who has to survive alone without her two senses. She cannot hear him coming, and she cannot scream for help. Hush is directed by Mike Flanagan, who makes full use of the intriguing premise.
Hold the Dark is undoubtedly a fascinating movie despite a confusing plot. It grabs your attention from the very first shot and never lets go. It also looks pretty stunning. Visuals never take the centre-stage, but they dazzle you anyway.
This Alex Garland directorial has elements of science fiction, horror and mystery. A mysterious quarantined zone is affected by an alien phenomenon that is mutating creatures and landscapes inside it. The zone is surrounded by a shimmering electromagnetic field, and it is thus called the Shimmer. The zone is getting larger, and the US government believes that it would one day surround the whole world if not stopped. The climax of the movie is a gorgeous interplay between mind-bending visuals and incongruous electronic notes.
The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App.
IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
Read more from the original source:
10 underrated horror movies to watch on Halloween - The Indian Express
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - IndieWire - September 5th, 2021
- James Gunn and Craig Mazin made The Boys six years before the comic - The Digital Fix - August 10th, 2021
- Michigan Congressmen and Women Can Work Together, Some Times - wbckfm.com - wbckfm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Netflix's 'Resident Evil' Anime Shows Off Exactly Why People Love the Franchise - Thrillist - July 11th, 2021
- The best TV series to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now, BritBox and more this July 2021 - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- No Hands Clapping - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 11th, 2021
- 50 Best Zombie Movies of the 21st Century - Cultured Vultures - July 1st, 2021
- Fewer in NJ getting COVID, and most are unvaccinated, Murphy says - New Jersey 101.5 FM - July 1st, 2021
- In Between The Poop And The Pope 105.7 The Point - 105.7 The Point - July 1st, 2021
- How many Halloween movies are there ? The complete Michael Myers timeline to watch before Halloween Kills arrived - Sportskeeda - July 1st, 2021
- Lucifer And Army Of The Dead Top Nielsens As Cruella Debuts On Disney+ - Forbes - July 1st, 2021
- What to watch on Netflix Top 10: Most popular shows May 28 - Tom's Guide - June 1st, 2021
- Box Office is Back Thanks to A Quiet Place Part II and World War Z - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2021
- Army of the Dead Is One of Netflix's Biggest Hits with 72 Million Account Views and Counting - MovieWeb - June 1st, 2021
- New from Netflix in June: series, films and documentaries Explica .co - Explica - June 1st, 2021
- 10 greatest movie trilogies of all time - The Independent - May 21st, 2021
- Army Of The Dead (2021) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 21st, 2021
- The 10 Best Alien Invasion Movies - Cinelinx - May 8th, 2021
- 40 Years Ago: 'Friday the 13th Part 2' Makes Jason a Killer - Ultimate Classic Rock - May 8th, 2021
- Underappreciated Gems The Top 10 Most Underrated Movies of the Past 5 Years - Hollywood Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- If Browns Take a Wide Receiver in Round 1... - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Former Bengals Great Gives His Thoughts on Penei Sewell and Ja'Marr Chase Debate - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Ozzie Albies and Dansby Swanson are showing us why early-season stats can be meaningless - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Cubs place OF Joc Pederson on 10-day injured list - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- 3 Browns Players Who Could Be Impacted By Draft Picks - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Eagles could move up in first round of NFL Draft? - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Steve Kerr weighs in on Kelly Oubre Jr. coming off the bench - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Chargers Top 15 Players They Could Take at 13 - Yardbarker - April 23rd, 2021
- Q2 Montana this Morning top stories with Victoria Hill 4-5-21 - Yahoo News - April 5th, 2021
- Every Alice Cooper album, ranked from worst to best - Louder - March 9th, 2021
- Ranking the Live-Action Members of Superman's Supporting Cast - tor.com - March 9th, 2021
- 3 Asian Actors Making Their Hollywood Debut This Year, Thanks To Marvel - Tatler Malaysia - March 9th, 2021
- 20 Best Movies About Viruses and Pandemics - Parade - February 16th, 2021
- Edgar Wright: All Of His Movies, Ranked According To Box Office Gross - Screen Rant - February 16th, 2021
- Horror Fans Reveal The Movie Scenes That Made Them Physically Ill - We Got This Covered - February 16th, 2021
- This week on "Sunday Morning" (February 7) - CBS News - February 9th, 2021
- WandaVision Episode 6 release date and spoiler; Everything we know so far - Republic TV - February 9th, 2021
- The Weird Old West: Horror And Fantasy-Themed Westerns - Looper - February 5th, 2021
- Our 9 favorite war films from the 60s - We Are The Mighty - February 2nd, 2021
- Cinema: top 10 horror and horror in 2021 - Inspired Traveler - February 2nd, 2021
- The Best Disney and Nickelodeon Pop Stars, Ranked - Vulture - January 25th, 2021
- Ten of the Best Recent Horror and Sci-Fi Movies to Stream Right Now - tor.com - January 22nd, 2021
- The Top 10 Horror Movies We're Waiting To See In 2021 - Flickering Myth - January 22nd, 2021
- Cambridge rated the best place to survive a 'zombie apocalypse' - Cambridgeshire Live - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Post-Apocalyptic Movies That Every Sci-Fi Fan Should Watch in 2021 - OtakuKart - January 15th, 2021
- 'The White Tiger', 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Don't Look Up', 'Red Notice': New Hollywood movies to be streamed on Netflix - DNA India - January 15th, 2021
- Best new movies coming out in 2021: On streaming and (hopefully) in theaters - syracuse.com - January 9th, 2021
- Xbox Live Games with Gold titles for January 2021 revealed - Shacknews - January 9th, 2021
- 2021: Very insightful industry predictions - Property Industry Eye - January 3rd, 2021
- Best Horror Movies of 2020 - Sprout Wired - December 31st, 2020
- The top 10 films of 2020 - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2020
- The 10 Best Horror Games of 2020 | Game Rant - GameRant - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Games that Helped Me Stay In Touch With My Friends During 2020s Lockdown - IGN India - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020
- Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch - PINKVILLA - December 19th, 2020
- What vets can learn from It's a Wonderful Life - We Are The Mighty - December 19th, 2020
- The Best TV Shows of 2020 - Pajiba Entertainment News - December 19th, 2020
- The 10 best games of 2020: In a pandemic, play was critical - Los Angeles Times - December 12th, 2020
- Emerge from the slog of 2020 and into the promise of tomorrow with these films - Kansas City Pitch - December 11th, 2020
- Research: Millions of smart devices vulnerable to hacking - The Associated Press - December 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Will audiences return to the movies? They already have, IMAX CEO says - CNBC - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Great Recent Horror Movies from 2020 You Might Have Missed - Bloody Disgusting - November 20th, 2020
- Want to see something really scary? - Dothan Eagle - November 16th, 2020
- Ranking the Friday the 13th Movies | 411MANIA - 411mania.com - November 16th, 2020
- PlayStation 2: 10 Cancelled Games We Wanted To See | Game Rant - GameRant - November 16th, 2020
- Why are there no James Bond games? - GamesIndustry.biz - November 12th, 2020
- 'The Walking Dead: World Beyond' Showrunner Matt Negrete on Expanding the 'Walking Dead' Universe - Collider.com - November 9th, 2020
- Kevin Love invests in first mental health gym initiative - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Chiefs trade RB DeAndre Washington to Dolphins - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- The 'QBs with the most NFL starts' quiz - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Bengals unlikely to trade receiver John Ross before deadline - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Rockets expected to rebuff trade interest in James Harden - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Seven players the Mets should target in free agency - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Orioles GM: ownership is not selling the team - Yardbarker - November 6th, 2020
- Brendan Gallagher Means Everything to the Canadiens - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Seattle Kraken will wait to name head coach - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Elton Brand, Sixers agree to multiyear extension - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Report: Seahawks were interested in trading for Aldon Smith - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- Sam Hinkie has no intention of ever returning to NBA - Yardbarker - November 1st, 2020
- 'Babyteeth', 'True History of the Kelly Gang' and 'The Invisible Man' Lead the 2020 AATCA Nominations - Concrete Playground - November 1st, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero